Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "A Love Supreme"

grailwolf

[1]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 55

Please discuss the episode "A Love Supreme" in this thread. These threads will appear each week to prevent topics repeating themselves on the forum. Please limit episode discussion to the official thread for at least two days to avoid spoilers on other threads.

Summary:

Alpha seemingly returns and goes after Echo's past romantic clients, killing them one by one.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 32
    Decent episode overall was relatively interesting throughout, particularly liked Alpha's performance however his sudden departure in the ending felt a little abrupt.

fatfreeoreos

[3]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 40
    I cried when they killed Ballard. Or at least made him brain dead, same diff in this situation when they've only got so many episodes left. I was even a little sad when Matt got blown up. He was the very first client we ever saw Echo with.

And I've been listening to the song they played at the end for the past hour. It's so amazingly beautiful.

Jon_MW_14

[4]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 39
    Awesome episode! It's interesting how Echo can choose her own personalities. I felt sorry for Echo while she was in isolation. I love seeing Alan Tudyk playing Alpha again. He's so twisted and crazy. I didn't actually think Matt would be blown up, but it's kind of awesome that he did get blown up because other shows would find a way to have him be saved. I can't believe they killed Ballard. I actually liked him this season.
    Edited on 12/11/2009 7:55pm

lazyjay

[5]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 30
    I was tearing up all through the end. The conversation between Joel and and Echo was just so touching. I'm so sad that Ballard is gone now, when he's been so much more interesting recently.

netgoddess

[6]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    I wonder if Topher can repair Ballard's brain death and perhaps turn him into an active?

Alpha's kung-fu inducing machine was pretty interesting.

I guess Echo is "out" now? Adelle's hunches are confirmed.

I too am glad that they weren't afraid to blow someone up. It is quite rare for shows with someone in an exploding vest to not get saved by pulling a wire or whatever.

AnilThornberry

[7]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 19
    WOW, Dollhouse is just getting more and more breath taking since it's cancelation. Ugh, I hate this!!

Anyways, a perfect 2 hour that kept me wanting more. I love Echo/Ballard together. And Ballard's love towards her was so obvious tonight. His death was an unexpected twist -- well they better save him. His character isn't bad. Echo is becoming a much more interesting character now that she can basically 'choose' who she becomes. Wow! I wonder where they will take this story line with only a few episodes left. Adelle was a total bas-ass b*tch tonight and I loved every second of it. Is there any news on what the finale is going to be about? Hope it's a real one.
    So sad to let a good quality like this go to waste...

P.S. can you please tell me the name of the song @ the end? They ALWAYS know the perfect song to play.
    Edited on 12/11/2009 11:01pm

fatfreeoreos

[8]Dec 11, 2009
    It was Your Ghost sung by Greg Laswell. I've been listening to it for the past few hours.

michael_LB92

[9]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 24
    Once again, I'm disappointed with the show's continuity. If I recall correctly, Boyd said (following Sierra's engagement with Alpha under a fake identity) something about how they looked into the client and he didn't exist. Whereas, it was established early in season one that they always do background checks for their clients. Wouldn't a background check include the fact that they exist?

I know it's possible for Alpha to create a fake identity, and make it seem legitimate to the Dollhouse, but maybe the writer's could just throw in a few extra lines of dialogue to spare me the heartache?

I don't want to sound nit-picky, but generally, I'm very unsatisfied with the show's writing, regarding security and protocol in the Dollhouse. It seems anyone can get in or out of the Dollhouse, and the employees can disobey their employers as much as they want (and just get a sturdy verbal warning).

Don't get me wrong, I love Echo's development, the story is really coming along, and I'm much more interested in the show than I have been thus far ... but with the improvement comes disappointment. The show needs to establish consistency, IMO.

And my final complaint () is this: what the heck is going on? I feel like I'm on some blind rollercoaster, cause I have no idea where I'm going. What happened with the Senator? What's happened to Mellie? What happened to Bennet? How is Bennet related to Echo? What does Alpha want in all of this? Why did he bother doing what he did? Why are we jumping back and forth between everything? Stories/arcs are finishing, but they feel so unresolved. I'm still so confused as to why the Senator claimed the Dollhouse doesn't exist, when he could have exposed them?

historylover20

[10]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 28

Wow! Much better than "Meet Jane Doe."

I love that Echo can "program" herself. Topher feels obsolete. Hee!

I haven't been in love with Ballard, but right when I start finding him interesting (and funnier) than usual ("My a-- does feel pampered." Hee!) they made him brain dead. Although I laughed at "Huh. When did you die?"

Love love love love love Alpha. What an awesome villain. Of course, I so love Alan Tudyk. Hee! "There are many parts of me that know this is wrong. None that care. And six that just find it funny." Hee! Oh, I love Alan Tudyk. At first, I couldn't see that the actor who played sweet Wash could play such a villain, but you can tell that AT loves this role.

And, like everyone else, I can't believe they just blew up Matt. Which is one of the reasons I love Alpha. Most villains you see in shows like this are all talk. Alpha and all of his personalities are so deliciously evil, but he's not all talk. Another reason is that one of his personalities is a Monty Python fan (hopefully it's not his personality that is a multiple personality.)

Another reason is the fact that he can implant the dolls at once remotely and turn them against the Dollhouse. Intriguing.

Another reason I love Alpha is his humor. "One of my personalities was an Eagle Scout. Another was a sailor. There's a dirty joke in there somewhere." And "Your boyfriend's dead. Wanna snuggle? Too soon?"

But... Alpha didn't imprint HIMSELF with the personalities. It was more or less an accident. Although, granted, you don't want to say "It was due to a screwup of our own. Our bad!"

The only problem I saw with this episode was its pace. Since it's cancelled, there is too much information thrown at us. I think the first few episodes should have started trying to wrap up this series. Because they had to figure it was probably not going to be able to do this story at a dragged out, leisurely pace. Instead, now, they're finding that they have to rush everything.

Kat

Edited on 12/12/2009 9:28am

KingofIPirates

[11]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 32
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    What happened with the Senator?
    Still being manipulated by the Dollhouse.
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    What's happened to Mellie?
    Discredited by the Senator.
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    What happened to Bennet?
    Still working for the Dollhouse playing a pivotal role in her work of the somatosensory system in order to develop a component of a greater machine capable of remote wiping regular (unwiped) human beings.
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    What does Alpha want in all of this?
    Echo given his obsession with her.
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Why did he bother doing what he did?
    In an attempt to win Echo's love.
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Why are we jumping back and forth between everything? Stories/arcs are finishing, but they feel so unresolved.
    Well the series was recently cancelled..
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I'm still so confused as to why the Senator claimed the Dollhouse doesn't exist, when he could have exposed them?
    After he was sent to expose the Dollhouse via the press conference He was turned again subsequently before making his announcement using the disrupter/biolink. Which was part of Rossum's plan from the start in using the 'exposing the Dollhouse agenda' to instead make their competitors take the blame for trumped up charges all while further discrediting the existence of a dollhouse.
    Edited on 12/12/2009 9:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

The_Dude14

[12]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 7

Clearly, my fear of Alpha being emasculated as a villain in the season finale was misplaced. Sure didn't take them long to get him back in the "threatening" category, They made him the Joker. Great performance by Alan Tudyk.

There was very little about this episode that I did not like. I liked the plot of Alpha hunting down Echo's old clients and seeing the return of some old clients (even if for such a brief time). It gave this episode some added weight.

"Killing" Ballard was very effective, even if I'm pretty sure that Ballard'll be back. I mean, doesn't he have to come back... in some form?

thetruesora

[13]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 22
    We know Ballard isn't dead since he's in some scenes that haven't happened yet.

CaptainHarkness

[14]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 23
    I thought this episode was brilliant. Alan Tudyk was fantastic. He has to be back before the end of the series.

michael_LB92

[15]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 24
    KingofPirates, thanks for clearing some of that up. I really didn't get the Senator thing though. I mean, I get it now, or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I didn't see that at the time (I obviously knew something happened, but it felt like he was JUST with Echo, and then he was at the conference and then he was switched).

Although, in answer to "it was recently cancelled" for the reason for jumping all around, they weren't even aware until production of the 11th episode, so they obviously planned all of this. It's just annoying that so much is going on right before the finale, and I have a feeling we won't get to see much of anything resolved.

SnarkBC

[16]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 8

Season 2 has been Whedon standard strong. My favorite line of this episode was Alpha's matter of factly, "Oh... When did you die?"

I'm greateful this show gets the chance to shine in season 2 like it is, but I still feel like it's a good thing that Whedon gets to move on. I wouldn't be interested in a season 3 of Dollhouse, even if it was good.

AllieAllie

[17]Dec 13, 2009
    • level: 22

I thought this was a great episode. Like other people, I was surprised when that client actually exploded since people are usually saved at the last minute. Echo's becoming more interesting, I like how she can control her personalities I'm looking forward to seeing where this leads. Though I think I can guess; like someone else said Adelle found out what was going on near the end of the episode, and considering how the next epsiode is called the Attic I can guess what she'll probably do about it. It sucks that Ballard is dead, I was starting to really like his character too. I would definitely like to see more of him I hope they bring him back. I also liked the fight between Alpha and Echo, that was pretty cool.

lazyjay

[18]Dec 13, 2009
    • level: 30
    AllieAllie wrote:
    I thought this was a great episode. Like other people, I was surprised when that client actually exploded since people are usually saved at the last minute. Echo's becoming more interesting, I like how she can control her personalities I'm looking forward to seeing where this leads. Though I think I can guess; like someone else said Adelle found out what was going on near the end of the episode, and considering how the next epsiode is called
    ***SPOILER***
    I can guess what she'll probably do about it. It sucks that Ballard is dead, I was starting to really like his character too. I would definitely like to see more of him I hope they bring him back. I also liked the fight between Alpha and Echo, that was pretty cool.
    Not to be mean, but could you put that episode's title in spoiler tags? Some people don't want to know yet because it's pretty indicative.

Lady_Lancaster

[19]Dec 13, 2009
    • level: 41
    Good to see Alpha back again, I was wondering if he'd return. Nasty stuff, blowing up poor old Matt, he seemed like one of the nicer clients they've had. I really hope that they manage to tie everything together and finish off arcs and storylines properly within the few remaining episodes because I hate it when a series just gets left in the middle of nowhere. The last few will be worth watching to see what they do with everything. All in all, I thought this one was pretty good.

fatfreeoreos

[20]Dec 13, 2009
    As long as everything ends up with a satisfying ending, I'll be okay.