FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Belle Chose"

Lady_Lancaster

[81]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 41
    spikemaniac wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    spikemaniac wrote:
    Yes. That's just before he makes everything very happy, and then crushes our hearts.

Precisely. He's predictable like that.
    Yet so unpredictable at the same time.

That's the key to success. If everything he did was predictable like about a hundred others shows we could all name, I doubt the name 'Whedon'would mean much. However, I still don't like Amy being gone not even for Happy Town.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

spikemaniac

[82]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 50
    BAGTbird wrote:
    The scene with the wardrobe manager was hilarious!
    OHMYJOSS, I adored him. I hope he shows up in future episodes.

Brakiri

[83]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 7
    It was an entertaining and funny episode, but the writers really expect us to take a lot as-is.

Last time, Echo got remote wiped, was over a cellphone using sound, which was at least kind of plausible. But this time they want us to make believe, that this bio-feeback-grid (that even wasn't properly explained in the past), which seems to work independently of the GPS-implant, supports two-way-communication and supports other than "sensor"-readout?

From what they have shown to us in the past, that does not make any sense at all. It would be different, if Topher would have mentioned to Adele at some point something like "Hey, don't forget, that all dolls not only have a GPS-implant, but also the bio-grid one, and I have made some nice enhancements to support two-way-comm!" (which as a side-effect would have give some interesting possibilities, like remote control of body-functions). But now Victor was on the run, he had no GPS-implant, and it not even made sense, that they could monitor his bio-signal that way. Again a plot-hole, which surely could have been prevented, if the writers had properly prepared this story in previous episodes. But they just come up with an idea, and implement it in a bad and unbelievable way. Even if they got us to believe, that this was a valid way to perform a remote wipe, there still is pretty much no way, that it could be used to swap imprints, because wiping a doll is one thing, but first wiping and then impriting Victor and Echo with the other's imprint over the bio-feedback-grid is just too far fetched (the result was funny indeed, but it is just not the least plausible).

Not to talk about the fact again, that there seems to be absolutely no security in the Dollhouse, so that people can just go as they wish, and nobody got suspicious of Victor leaving with the XO from BSG (and that he knew exactly how to get from the infirmary to the holding-cell).

Then there was the very beginning of this episode, with Paul being uneasy getting Echo from the shower to her treatment. It was mentioned somewhere else, that it seems Fox is messing up the broadcast order *again*, because it would have made much more sense, if episodes 2 and 3 were in the reverse order, since that scene better fits directly after Paul has been made Echo's handler. That way we also would not have seen similar talks at the end of the first two eps, but with something different in between.

My last criticism for this episode is about the ending. We are now 3 eps into this season, and there is still no cliff-hanger at the end, creating the desire to have more of DH. I mean come on, we are totally getting fed independent and unrelated standalone episodes, which could as well be part of something like the A-Team (just another weekly mission accomplished, no need for a real story to be told throughout the series, like it's done with True Blood). Another point, why this really should have been the second episode of this season, and not the third.

And yes, I know, I am overly critical, and one could argue, that this is just entertainment, for which someone should just switch off the brain, or leave for something more intellectual... But nevertheless, I am still going to stick with it, and if it is just for Eliza (she is so lovely, and the best reason to stay).

nightgod473

[84]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 5
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    spikemaniac wrote:
    kraylith wrote:
    Also, I was really glad when she killed the client. Such a sleazy ....
    HAHA yeah same. That shocked me, was not expecting it at all. I really liked that story though. I liked how the guy was manipulating Kiki into thinking that she was in control, whereas it was him that was in total control the entire time.
    Did he actually die? Did we find out? Because if he did, I wonder how the Dollhouse would cover that up, especially since the man is obviously loaded if he can afford a 7-digit hooker.
    While they didn't flat out say he lived, when Ballard went into the office and saw him, he leaned over and said "it's going to be OK" as he was pulling out his cell phone. I believe the take away from that is that he would have gotten ahold of the Dollhouse and they would have made sure the professor got the best medical care possible and it's pretty safe to assume he lived.

michael_LB92

[85]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 24
    I also had issues with the Uncle and Victor just walking out of the Dollhouse, just like Echo did in Instincts. They could have easily had the Uncle just steal a gun and hold Victor hostage or something and been all like "if you don't let us leave, I'll shoot him". Yadda yadda.

I know, I know, it takes more time up in the episode. But it makes such a difference for me.

I care little for any technology-plot holes. It's a Sci-Fi, and if Topher is there to just be all "Oh, I just do this thing and this happens" I'm fine with it. It just annoys me when simple, logical mistakes are made. This multi-million dollar, secret underground organisation just lets Victor go off with some random guy who isn't his Handler. You'd think they could afford a security guard to watch the elevator or something.

Brakiri

[86]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 7
    BTW Pretty cool scene, when Psycho-Victor smashed the head of the BSG XO against the wheel, and just waited for the car to crash without even trying to take control... That's what I call tough!

And that was it for the BSG XO, I'd have appreciated for him to get something more out of his DH visit.

KingofIPirates

[87]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 32
    Brakiri wrote:

Not to talk about the fact again, that there seems to be absolutely no security in the Dollhouse, so that people can just go as they wish, and nobody got suspicious of Victor leaving with the XO from BSG (and that he knew exactly how to get from the infirmary to the holding-cell).
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    This multi-million dollar, secret underground organisation just lets Victor go off with some random guy who isn't his Handler. You'd think they could afford a security guard to watch the elevator or something.
    Yeah the constant successfully efficient getaways tend to strain the suspension of disbelief.

thetruesora

[88]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 22
    I thought it was nice that we got to see the wardrobe for the dollhouse. If it makes an important appearance later on then that would be great.

LeytonTLA

[89]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 16
    i really enjoyed this episode i think victor did great, i miss the dr i love her

amaryllis88

[90]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 20

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    Undoubtedly Victor as Kiki was one of the most hilarious things we will ever see on the show.

That's right up there with when Topher and Adelle went loopy last season...I loved it!! Victor as Kiki, what a great acting job, especially when he says, "You wouldn't hit a girl?" So cute and so cool.

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    But the same line, twice? I don't know. It irks me.

Write your congressman/woman. Maybe you should pen an episode, and send it to Joss, and be like, "This is the way it's supposed to be written." It'll make you famous, then I can say, "Hey, I know that guy!"

spikemaniac wrote:
    Yeah I heard that too. That's awesome. I like him, he's cool. Dexter is just awesome. I watched it this morning and it gave me a happy.

What is also funny, before his stint on Dexter as an FBI agent, he was on Criminal Minds playing a serial killer. Now imagine my surprise after seeing him as a serial killer show up on Dexter as an FBI agent...very different characters, yet believable in both, he's a great actor. Will be watching Dexter later today.

This episode was pretty cool, I enjoyed it, for the most part. I didn't understand why the big honcho guy wanted to escape with Viktor, I got that it's his son now, but he's not the same person physically, so questions will be asked, and probing occurs, and the DH doesn't want that. How easily they escaped, and did nobody think there was an ulterior motive to having the guy there, in disbelief over his nephew. I was thinking, he wanted to get out of there.

I guess he thought his nephew would never harm him or whatever, boy was he proved wrong! I can't believe how nonchalantly he smashed his face into the steering wheel, and let the car crash, got out, and everything was la di da. Oh, and Enver's acting was excellent, imo, the way he took on Terri's persona like that, and then later in the club, it was fantastic.

The professor guy was tres creepy, although he got his come-uppance when Kiki turned into Terri, wow, what a significant change of character.

**And as a piece of trivia, not associated with this episode whatsoever, (but Buffy and Angel alum related) James Marsters recently appeared on last week's episode of Lie To Me, he played a lawyer, and did a really great job.

fatfreeoreos

[91]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 40
    The wardrobe scene was kinda weird for me. I have no idea why. And whoever said Ballard acted like this was his first engagement was right. He did seem overly awkward. I could understand in the shower scene, coming upon Echo, this beautiful girl he was some sort of feelings for, all naked has to do something to him. But he kinda acted like it was his first time going to the wardrobe.

thetruesora

[92]Oct 12, 2009
    The wardrobe manager called him new so that was Ballard's first time there.

Vesper-Lynd

[93]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 18

Thanks guys, I'm glad my explanation somewhat made sense.

Wardrobe is a little ooky though.Remember how in "Needs," we see Tango's handler walk into the wardrobe room for her outfit? And now, apparently, there's an entire wardrobe department that has specific employees that take care of that sort of thing? Nothing particularly bothersome. Just different. And if there's one thing I love about the Dollhouse's inner workings, it's that it's *never* different, not like this anyway.

fatfreeoreos

[94]Oct 12, 2009
    And also, I kinda thought Kiki's outfit was a little hideous. I mean honestly, she's supposed to be a college student and she's wearing pigtails, a skirt that's way too puffy and a cardigan? Really? Plus, she is way past the college student age.

Vesper-Lynd

[95]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 18

fatfreeoreos wrote:
    And also, I kinda thought Kiki's outfit was a little hideous. I mean honestly, she's supposed to be a college student and she's wearing pigtails, a skirt that's way too puffy and a cardigan? Really? Plus, she is way past the college student age.
    Perhaps a little... okay, very hideous. It looks like they were going for that flirty schoolgirl thing/look again (See "Echoes." I bet she's wearing the same awesome shoes too) which brings me to the point of... Really, Professor Gossen? Really? You couldn't have just hired a hooker? It's not like the Dollhouse is any less illegal. And really? It's not like you requested that she be programmed as an expert in your Medieval Lit. class. You honestly couldn't have just hired someone to play dumb? How do you even afford a doll in the first place?

toad7557

[96]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 6
    I didn't like how much it switched from being Victor-centric to Echo. I thought it was cool that they were finally giving someone else the spotlight, but then they so quickly gave it back. Plus, the "oh look, Echo remembers things" stuff is getting kind of repetitive... Still love the show though!

thetruesora

[97]Oct 13, 2009
    toad7557 wrote:
    I didn't like how much it switched from being Victor-centric to Echo. I thought it was cool that they were finally giving someone else the spotlight, but then they so quickly gave it back. Plus, the "oh look, Echo remembers things" stuff is getting kind of repetitive... Still love the show though!

You weren't expecting it to switch focus to Echo? I was glad that it looked like Victor was going to have a major role but i knew it would switch over to Echo.

fatfreeoreos

[98]Oct 13, 2009
    I just want to know how Viktor came to be at the Dollhouse. We know the other principle characters story, but his is still a mystery.

lazyjay

[99]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 30
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    I just want to know how Viktor came to be at the Dollhouse. We know the other principle characters story, but his is still a mystery.
    Wow, I hadn't even thought of that.

michael_LB92

[100]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 24
    We know he was a soldier... or something.