Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Getting Closer"

waisal14

[41]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 10

Even though we know Boyd is the co-ceo of Russom, we don't know the whole entire story behind it. There's probably more to him that meets the eye. We don't know his motivations or why he came to this Dollhouse. Hopefully the last two episodes will cover his motivations and explain his side of the story.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Igarka

[42]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 12

About Rossum being from a play, its a Czech play and here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R._(Rossum%27s_Universal_Robots)

Vesper-Lynd

[43]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 18

DuoMaxwell, you kinda missed the point of my post. I'm saying that I'm drawing my conclusions about Joss' storytelling style from these two things (and that's really very little considering how much Joss has done so I can't say that I know *him* and what he would or wouldn't do) about Boyd being a doll was just too easy for Joss and it's not something he would do.

It's not that shocking to not have seen Angel or Buffy, I didn't even plan on seeing Dollhouse (it didn't seem like my type of thing). It just so happened that one Friday night we had nothing to watch and with Dr. Horrible, it was recommended on a Phantom of the Opera forum. Really random stuff, but yet somehow I am so in love with this guy now.

Edited on 01/09/2010 10:24am

lazyjay

[44]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 30
    Here's the script, if you're interested. I haven't read it through myself, but I heard there're some bits that didn't make it into the episode. Courtesy of Gossi.

Sugar2U

[45]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 9
    Boyd could be an imprint. Not truly a doll but the REAL person could be gone and reprinted with the Boyd imprint. Boyd for real could be an old man. You get that impression that all the major players at rossum got there brains scanned and reprinted. Kind of like the epi that had Victor imprinted as Topher. that was totaly cool. I for one thought Boyd could be evil during the first season but this season I did not see it at all. I hope it is a case of Joss throwing us off. Like when we thought Adel was evil but then she is good. HOWEVER someone did wreck the Carolyn imprint so it could be Boyd is the big bad. I love this show but now that they have an end in site things are moving along better. I am glad they can end the show and not just cancel it. Cannot wait until next week

historylover20

[46]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 28

Fire bad tree pretty...

Um...

Boyd's not a doll. As mentioned, he was around when the disruptor went off and wasn't affected. Plus, in the episode where the dolls relived memories of their worst fears (Echoes, right?) and the ones without doll architecture got loopy, Boyd was one of those that got loopy.

So, we know he's not a doll.

Kat

ocean58

[47]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 53

Three shocking episodes in a row and two more to go.

I didn't see that coming; Dr.Saunders to be Mrs. Nr.1. She killed Bennett in order to hinder Caroline from recognizing Boyd. It will be another great episode, when Caroline confronts Boyd.

I have still too many questions to be answered. How will the story reconnect to the "Epitaph" episode. Claire Saunders was the only person from Dollhouse to be seen there. And how will Alpha fit into the story? Any ideas.

Lady_Lancaster

[48]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 41

Well, a VERY interesting episode indeed but, like I have said before, it's completely in character for Joss to put in huge plot twists and have about ten things happening at once. It disappoints me that Boyd appears to be a bad guy because he is a personal favourite of mine but we shall have to see, as someone said earlier, he could be a doll.

Keep the surprises coming, Joss!

The_Dude14

[49]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 7

ocean58 wrote:
    I have still too many questions to be answered. How will the story reconnect to the "Epitaph" episode. Claire Saunders was the only person from Dollhouse to be seen there. And how will Alpha fit into the story? Any ideas.
    Whiskey was the only person from the Dollhouse to be seen there. We have no idea what's in store for Doc Saunders, except that her scars will be removed and her body will survive.

Certainly there is more to the story than we know, as it regards to Boyd. Be interesting to see how this plays out. I seem to recall Boyd saying something about Caroline being the key to their survival and, clearly, Echo's ability to withstand wipes and maintain an independent personality would indicate that to be true and that Boyd is interested in replicating this for, I assume, his own selfish purposes (those with the most toys can ensure that they will survive indefinately), but how can they know that before Echo enters the Dollhouse? How does Boyd know he will become Echo's handler, when he is only brought in after the Alpha incident? Have Boyd and Caroline cut a deal? How does Alpha fit in to all of this? He seems to be the biggest wildcard.

And we have to wait a damn week to find out anything. Why can't the DVD be out already?

netgoddess

[50]Jan 9, 2010
    ocean58 wrote:

Three shocking episodes in a row and two more to go.

I didn't see that coming; Dr.Saunders to be Mrs. Nr.1. She killed Bennett in order to hinder Caroline from recognizing Boyd. It will be another great episode, when Caroline confronts Boyd.

I too wonder how they're going to make it work. They only have an hour in a half left to tie everything together. I have a feeling it will be very fast paced. I just hope they don't leave it open-ended and give us a real finale.

TwistedConverse

[51]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 23
    OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

My jaw literally dropped twice in this episode - once when Claire shot Bennett and then the end where BOYD IS THE FREAKING LEADER OF THE DOLLHOUSE!

I need this explained to me, I'm strugging to process real thoughts at the moment . So Boyd is the leader of Rossum and wants Caroline etc. so he makes her into a Doll (obviously a more advanced type, which explains why she evolved so fast I think?) and then becomes her handler to look after her. So does that mean Boyd (as the Rossum leader) went undercover to look after her OR was he made into a Doll and he genuinely believes he is simply a member of security and Echo's (old) handler? And does Adelle know he's the leader? Or is that why she wasn't allowed to go up the elevator?

And WHY did Claire kill Bennett? She obviously isn't working with Rossum as Boyd wants Caroline back (I think), so what is she doing? Does she know about Boyd and wants to destroy Rossum? Confusing!

Anyway, I loved this episode, best of the show so far for me, one of the most shocking Whedon episodes ever I think, right up there with Seeing Red and Cavalry for OMGGGG moments and BTW did anyone kinda get "Why do you think I let him out, you stupid b*tch" vibes from the end (you all know what I mean, and if you don't then shame on you )? Like you couldn't believe it but then you realise there were small signs all along the way? Gaaaaaaah, amazing. I miss Angel.

Bennett and Topher were so funny together and Bennett was actually a really likeable character in the flashbacks, as was Caroline. And Adelle was just hilarious in this episode, at her best - "I think we can safely say the carpet's done" and "I just had replaced" cracked me up.

The only thing that bothered me was the E1 flashback. I mean it was cool that we saw how it linked in but I couldn't help notice that Claire's hair was much shorter in the flashback, it annoyed me.

Just an incredible episode, completely perfect, gutted the show is ending in another 2 episodes . Joss - NEVER EVER work with Fox again. Ever. Ever. Ever. They just kill your shows when they are getting realllllyyy good. I would sooo love a Dollhouse movie like the Firefly one but doubt it . Would be EPIC! though.

TwistedConverse

[52]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 23
    Vesper-Lynd wrote:

DuoMaxwell, you kinda missed the point of my post. I'm saying that I'm drawing my conclusions about Joss' storytelling style from these two things (and that's really very little considering how much Joss has done so I can't say that I know *him* and what he would or wouldn't do) about Boyd being a doll was just too easy for Joss and it's not something he would do.

It's not that shocking to not have seen Angel or Buffy, I didn't even plan on seeing Dollhouse (it didn't seem like my type of thing). It just so happened that one Friday night we had nothing to watch and with Dr. Horrible, it was recommended on a Phantom of the Opera forum. Really random stuff, but yet somehow I am so in love with this guy now.

You NEED to watch Buffy and Angel. Think Dollhouse but just on a whole other level of awesome. I actually still miss them and they ended 5/6 years ago and you can just watch them over and over and over and they never get dull. I still say that Buffy at it's absolute best is the best TV anyone can ever watch, episodes like The Gift and Once More With Feeling are just... wow.... I'll stop now, I'm rambling .

Oh and Firefly is amazing too.

lazyjay

[53]Jan 9, 2010
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    Oh and Firefly is amazing too.

Nice afterthought. That's my favorite thing ever.

Sugar2U

[54]Jan 9, 2010

I forgot about the whole disrupter thing that did not effect Boyd so not an imprint.. unless he could somehow be just a more advanced modle so therefore it would not effect him.. stil dont know lets face it the guy who called himself Clyde Randolf said he was not the original or was an imprint. plus the leaders of Rossum all have themselves imprinted so they must have some way of NOT getting wiped. i wonder if Alpha was not also one of the main Rossum guys. There is the guy who is in the addic.. would he be the friend of Boyd or of Clyde do you think. I wonder how many original members there are. Boyd had no problem killing that one MAIN guy. Did that guy know who Boyd was and that is why he killed him?

KingofIPirates

[55]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 32
    Sugar2U wrote:
    plus the leaders of Rossum all have themselves imprinted so they must have some way of NOT getting wiped.
    The technology was just recently invented, they wouldn't have a way of not getting wiped.
    Sugar2U wrote:
    There is the guy who is in the addic.. would he be the friend of Boyd or of Clyde do you think.
    He recently became allied with Clyde.
    Sugar2U wrote:
    Boyd had no problem killing that one MAIN guy. Did that guy know who Boyd was and that is why he killed him?
    Apparently not as they wouldn't be shooting at him. Looks like Boyd kept his cover too secret.

michael_LB92

[56]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 24
    This was probably my favourite episode of the entire series. I loved the flashbacks, and I loved that E1 was getting tied into the new episodes, and I loved the twists. It also featured Mellie, yay (although her encounter with Echo was a wee bit cheesey IMO).

Besides that, amazing episode. I'm so bummed there's only two episodes left. Oh, and I also loved how the "flashbacks" are linked to memories. Like, in Bennet's version, Caroline is a total bitca for leaving Bennet behind to die. But in Caroline's version, she is saving Bennet from being killed/fired/made a Doll/whatever by abandoning her.

So overall, I loved it

Amy Acker & Summer Glau. *dreamy sigh*
    If only Sarah Michelle would guest star...

Sagerian

[57]Jan 9, 2010

ocean58 wrote:

This is just me prattling on, not anything I'm expecting to happen.

I daresay Alpha's demeanor may be softened somewhat by Paul's imprint, hence he helps establish this safe area talked about in E1. They wouldn't have a choice but to scrub Dr Saunders and bring Whiskey back at this point, although why they'd fix her scarring doesn't make sense to me. It's hard to imagine they'd be sending dolls out for clients any more.

Rossum already has the tech to remotely wipe people without active architecture, and the medium of choice seemed to be radio frequencies, so we might see some of that before E2.

Edited on 01/09/2010 9:33pm

corpsebride01

[58]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 6

Amazing episode

this show has grown so much and i read someone's post about how in one respect fans are lucky because if Dollhouse had not gotten cancelled Joss probably would have dragged the story on for so much longer. I tend to both agree and disagree. I mean, i don't feel Whedon every really dragged things on with Buffy or Angel or Firefly. However, i would agree that in comparison to season 1 (and the beginning of season 2) definitely moved a slower rate and with a much different tone. I mean everything has changed in the last.. 5 or so episodes, the tone, the humor, the entire feeling of the writing changed and felt much more "whedonesque" for lack of a better term. Whereas season 1 only had random flashes every now and again of previous Whedon shows and writing.

Regardless, from the moment this show was being conceived, i put my faith into the hands of Joss Whedon. (the only mistake he ever made was Alien 4:resurrection.. IMO). And i feel for those who had blind faith, these past... 5-10 eps have really made us feel vindicated. this episode was amazing, as the last few have been, and i love the twists and turns.Whisk/Claire killing bennet(sp?), ridonkulous... i mean from the moment she walked into that room, i knew she was going to hurt bennet.. it was obvious, but when Topher walked back in, my guard went down because never in a million years did i think she'd shoot her in the head!!!!!!...poor Topher.

now as for Boyd being a doll or not..i'm not sure what i think, the man in that office definitely had a different feel (even a different smile) then boyd does, so sure, he could be a doll,or he could have been in on this the entire time...

oh and any other Buffy/Angel fans feel a little bit of Fred shine through when amy acker said "it's too fast" while crying in Boyd's arms?... definitely had a dejavu moment with fred in Wesley's arms crying "why can't i stay?"... in short NEVER question the power of Whedon. srsly.

lazyjay

[59]Jan 9, 2010
    corpsebride01 wrote:

oh and any other Buffy/Angel fans feel a little bit of Fred shine through when amy acker said "it's too fast" while crying in Boyd's arms?... definitely had a dejavu moment with fred in Wesley's arms crying "why can't i stay?"... in short NEVER question the power of Whedon. srsly.

Wow, I was thinking this exact thing when I rewatched this afternoon.

BAGTbird

[60]Jan 10, 2010

This makes M. Night Shyamalan's "surprise endings" look like poo in a can. Never in a million years would I have guessed the outcome of this episode.

Regarding Boyd being a doll: didn't the real Clyde (in the Attic) tell Echo that his partner wasn't a doll (or something to that effect)? He of all people should know.

I don't think this can be topped as a climax. That leaves two episodes for resolution. Please wrap it up and don't leave another of my shows in cliffhanger limbo (a la Terminator and Kyle XY).

Edited on 01/10/2010 12:17am