Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Haunted"

buffyTVSrox

[1]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 33
    Please discuss the episode "Haunted" in this thread. These threads will appear each week to prevent topics repeating themselves on the forum. Please limit episode discussion to the official thread for at least two days to avoid spoilers on other threads.

Summary:

Echo is programmed with the memories of a dead woman in the hopes that she can help solve the woman's murder. Topher secretly prepares Sierra for an engagement, and Ballard looks into Mellie's past.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[2]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 55
    Thanks! Due to recent changes I was a little preoccupied. Just sitting down to watch the ep on TiVo now.

fatfreeoreos

[3]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 40
    Very good episode. I think it showed off Eliza's acting skills well. And seeing Topher and Sierra playing around the Dollhouse was great too. I would love to run around that place. And as always, it's interesting to get to see more of Adelle's personal life. Oh and Agent Ballard, having to deal with Mellie, knowing what he knows was kinda sad. I feel so bad for him having to go through that. Overall, a very good episode. Didn't quite see the end coming. It was great.

KingofIPirates

[4]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 32
    While this episode came from an interesting perspective it was decent at best as it a little dull throughout, could've been better. Even so the preview of next weeks episodes seems very alluring.

SVU_Obsessed

[5]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 22

Thanks again Doug. Anyway, like last time I'm going to be typing this as I'm watching the show so be prepared for drastic subject changes and things that might not make sense that I might miss when going back over this.

I've never liked Addie as a name before, but now I do. But of course I'm biased. What's up with Topher's jacket? I think I'd like it if it wasn't for that yellow spot. I like the way Adelle just said, "Temporary"..."Tempry".

Weird dude with freaky limp. I bet he did it. Who would write in a limping man for no reason? It's a clue I tell you! A clue!

"Shhhh I want to hear how great you were," Adelle has already made me smile.

AHA! The weird limping man is Margaret's brother William. Knew it was suspicious.

"Someone's tardy", I love that. I know I'm gonna get flack for saying this but it just seems very British of her to say that. I'm really not trying to stereotype.

Ooooh another light show. I'm telling you it's like Frankenstein. Holy crap, he's made a girl version of him...in a way. So he's abusing the system as well as Adelle. Kind of funny.

"I'm just tired", lame excuse Ballard, you might as well just say you got a "headache". Geez rude much?

The kids pissing off Margaret, I love it. They're bad mouthing her like crazy to Margaret's horror.

That one dude is familiar. The son/douche with the black hair. Where have I seen him before?

It's gotta suck knowing that your kids hate you. Well not really hate, but ya know....not like you very much.

Gross, he thinks Margaret is hitting on him. If he tries to kiss her I'm gonna ew ew ew ew, he did it. Gross. "You said you were trying to comfort me!" "Not with my tongue!" "You were checking out my body!" *Insert Margaret gagging sound*. Man I am laughing. That was awesome. Gross, funny, and awesome.

Victor looks hot. Is that a slight accent I detect? Sounds almost like Christian Kane from Leverage. Why's blondie crying? Her mom? Did she just call herself emo? Strange. Elmo! "Emo's not a word sweetie."

Ooooh Ballard pulling a sneak attack. At least he still has a friend at the office. Polly-what? November's prints bringing up a bunch of different names and mug shots....hmmm.... she looked like a crack whore in several of the mug shots. Wait, wouldn't that give Ballard away, like let the Dollhouse know what's going on, that's he figured it out by running her prints?

How can people not notice that Sierra and Topher are throwing a little football in the middle of the Dollhouse?

Is Margaret about to get kissed again....wait-a spy?...Paranoid much Mr.Jack? Well I guess he has good reason.

Gah where I have seen the son with the black hair? Can't put my finger on it.

She looks kind of awkward just holding up her glass like that when Uncle Bill toasts.

HAHAHA Topher's deep male over-voice. Seriously how are people not noticing them using laser guns? So much for "security".

Geez, welcome Mellie, your friendly neighborhood stalker. She makes creepy leftovers for strangers and appears unannounced in apartments followed by weird jokes over wine."I'll give you what you need, and I'll let you take it from me. It doesn't have to mean anything." Whore much? Hmmm....it appears that there is going to be some angry sex afoot.

*Turns volume down on tv due to gasping and moaning*

Eliza looks good in a horse-riding suit thing. Hmmm.... creepy guy in the shadows. Oh it's only the douche with dark hair.

She's actually spilling everything? Weird, he was watching her in her bedroom. Awkward moment bringing up the kissing. Holy crap he knows about the Dollhouse? He's a customer. Now we know there's a Manhattan Dollhouse.

He's crying? Didn't expect that from the insensitive douche nozzle.

Her scream and the look on her face when Jack was hitting the shovel against the rails was hilarious. Holy crap when did her son get his hands on the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" hook?

How cool is Adelle? She knows about Topher's "tests" and lets it happen, guess that explains everything. "Lonliness leads to nothing good, only detachment", best quote of the episode. So he only does it once a year, must be his Birthday or something.

I think the son did it. It's too easy for him to just be innocent. Yay I was right. Where did he pull the needle out from? Geez, must have some awesome pockets to be able to stash that thing. Of course I was too busy typing to actually see where he got it.

Whoa, nice shot gun Jackie-boy. Now who backhands their own mother? Why hello Uncle Bill, just in time.

Ha! I love the "Yay" part of the Will.

I sort of feel sorry for Ballard now, seeing him in the shower.

Yay, more Adelle. Oh she has to say goodbye to her friend. If she cries I'm gonna be devastated. The hand-holding was nice.

I apologize for the long post and the fact that it is badly spaced and half the crap I wrote should be scrapped. But these are my thoughts and I must get them out.

Jon_MW_14

[6]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 39
    It was a brilliant episode. I loved it. Eliza was amazing in this episode. I thought Jack was the killer the whole time. Topher playing laser tag with Sierra was funny. I liked that the women(don't know her name) believes Ballard about the Dollhouse. I liked Victors accent in this episode.

buffyTVSrox

[7]Apr 24, 2009
    Next week looks ASTOUNDING.

As for this week...

-It may have been a little cliche, but this was my favorite of the standalones we've had (the first five episodes, and this one).

-I think, though some classic Eliza body language betrayed her, for the most part I believed that Eliza was an entirely different person more than in the past. I think she may be finding her footing in such a complicated role.

-At last, Topher is humanized a bit. I actually felt really bad for him. He's so painfully lonely. I guess he just fakes his care-free attitude most of the time. Adelle pretends she's just helping Dollhouse efficiency letting him have his annual friendship, but I think it's clear the truth is that she feels for him.

-Ballard seems to be going in a much darker direction now, frustrated to hell and indulging his wants in something he knows is wrong and is trying to bring down. Like he said near the end, he found a client after all. Someone in the FBI finally believes him though. Speaking of that scene, the FBI is apparently far too easy to break into.

-I always love those shining little Adelle moments in each episode. In this one, the one that really stuck for me is when she quickly snaps to the defense of illusion. It especially has meaning after seeing last episode how she helps herself to get by.

-We now know for certain the location of another Dollhouse: Manhattan. Not terribly important or unexpected, but good to know, I feel.

-I love how Joss tosses more philosophical musings into the show with the possibility of eternal life. Speaking of which, I love the "A fine adjective; a wonderful noun" or whatever exactly it was that Adelle answered Boyd with.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts to post after seeing others' reactions and thoughts.

AnilThornberry

[8]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 19
    It seemed like a dull engagement but it was really interesting at some points. Eliza rocked as usual. Tropher was very funny.
    Whats best was the preview for next week. Wow, it looks breathless. No one can afford to miss it.

fatfreeoreos

[9]Apr 24, 2009
    SVU, I love your play by play observations. They're kinda hilarious to read.

robdude123

[10]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 19

I'm so sad for Topher He's lonely..

Btw I think when Ballard said he "found one" (a client) he was referring to himself. He was disgusted he slept with a doll.

Edited on 04/24/2009 7:21pm

fatfreeoreos

[11]Apr 24, 2009
    He and Sierra were too cute.

SVU_Obsessed

[12]Apr 24, 2009
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    SVU, I love your play by play observations. They're kinda hilarious to read.

Thanks. I honestly don't expect people to read my long posts, but it will bug me if I don't put most of my reactions out there. I feel compelled. But thanks again for taking the time to read.

fatfreeoreos

[13]Apr 24, 2009
    No prob. There were 3 new posts in the time it took me to read it, but still.

Jon_MW_14

[14]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 39
    Did anyone catch what Mellie/November's real name is?
    Edited on 04/24/2009 7:22pm

SVU_Obsessed

[15]Apr 24, 2009
    robdude123 wrote:

I have to admit, even though I never much cared for Topher because he's a giant ass, I did feel bad for him. Just seeing how excited he was hanging out with Sierra, knowing that that was really his only chance at relaxing and having fun was just kind of sad. Watching Adelle watch him on the monitor was just as sad. I may have a soft spot for him after all.

SVU_Obsessed

[16]Apr 24, 2009
    Jon_MW_14 wrote:

I saw the names Polly (Pauley?) and Michelle. And that was about it. But I thought it was showing her with a bunch of different names under her mug shots? It happened really fast so who knows?

fatfreeoreos

[17]Apr 24, 2009
    Jon_MW_14 wrote:

Still don't know for sure. Lot's popped up before it got erased. Any one could be real or a false ID. Either she was a criminal in real life or they were set up by the Dollhouse itself.

buffyTVSrox

[18]Apr 24, 2009
    Kat, love the observations and the phrasing.

-"Loneliness leads to nothing good, only detachment". Not only was that line great, but let's not forget the snippet afterwards about the people who find it hard to reach out often being the ones who most need to. And yeah, it did seem to be Topher's birthday, with the blowing out candles and all.

-According to imdb, it looks like Jordan Bridges played the son. He was in the movie Frequency, two episodes of Charmed, an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, three episodes of the short lived remake of Bionic Woman, the movie Mona Lisa Smile, and several episodes of the shows Dawson's Creek and Conviction. Any of those where you know him from?

-I believe he got the needle from the closet, when he was "looking for a place to hide the note".

Also, I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, but once again the actor who plays Victor was excellent with the accent, and overall acting.

fatfreeoreos

[19]Apr 24, 2009
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    robdude123 wrote:

I have to admit, even though I never much cared for Topher because he's a giant ass, I did feel bad for him. Just seeing how excited he was hanging out with Sierra, knowing that that was really his only chance at relaxing and having fun was just kind of sad. Watching Adelle watch him on the monitor was just as sad. I may have a soft spot for him after all.

What makes you see Topher as an ass? I think he's absolutely adorable, in his geek chic way.

SVU_Obsessed

[20]Apr 24, 2009
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    Kat, love the observations and the phrasing.

-According to imdb, it looks like Jordan Bridges played the son. He was in the movie Frequency, two episodes of Charmed, an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, three episodes of the short lived remake of Bionic Woman, the movie Mona Lisa Smile, and several episodes of the shows Dawson's Creek and Conviction. Any of those where you know him from?

Aha! It was Conviction! I have the short-lived series on dvd. Ironically he played this lawyer on there was a bit of a wuss and was a big ol' softy. Thanks Doug (I seem to be thanking you a lot today )