Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Haunted"

buffyTVSrox

[41]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 33
    meee223 wrote:
    For some reason, I keep watching this show and I am intrigued. But I'm just punishing myself because I think the show is a bit over my head. I have unanswered questions after every show. On this episode, I can't figure out why the woman's son killed his mother and how they figured out it was a doping drug for the horses that killed her. Just because the "doc" comes in and says the horse was doped, why does that mean the drug was used on "mom"? I know the son was very big in debt and used the drug to try and make the horse valuable, but why kill his mom? Did he find out that his mom knew about it? But she obviously didn't. Anyway, I always get confused every show, and why do I punish myself by watching?

Well, I missed the explanation for how they knew the mother was killed with the horse drugs, but the reason the son killed the mother was because the horses weren't his, so he wouldn't have made any money off of selling the horses because he couldn't have sold them. He thought she'd leave him the horses in her will, either that or a bunch of money, and it was win-win for him... as long as mother dearest was six feet under and the horses looked like they were worth millions.

Please, don't give up on the show!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

goodridd

[42]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 17
    Brilliant episode. Probably my 2nd favorite. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

meee223

[43]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 8

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    meee223 wrote:
    For some reason, I keep watching this show and I am intrigued. But I'm just punishing myself because I think the show is a bit over my head. I have unanswered questions after every show. On this episode, I can't figure out why the woman's son killed his mother and how they figured out it was a doping drug for the horses that killed her. Just because the "doc" comes in and says the horse was doped, why does that mean the drug was used on "mom"? I know the son was very big in debt and used the drug to try and make the horse valuable, but why kill his mom? Did he find out that his mom knew about it? But she obviously didn't. Anyway, I always get confused every show, and why do I punish myself by watching?
    Well, I missed the explanation for how they knew the mother was killed with the horse drugs, but the reason the son killed the mother was because the horses weren't his, so he wouldn't have made any money off of selling the horses because he couldn't have sold them. He thought she'd leave him the horses in her will, either that or a bunch of money, and it was win-win for him... as long as mother dearest was six feet under and the horses looked like they were worth millions. Please, don't give up on the show!

Thanks for that, but I sure wish I didn't have to come to this forum for answers every single episode! Well, there was just one episode where I didn't need any explanation and it was my favourite episode, the one where the dolls wake up and remember their previous lives and attempt an escape. That was a fascinating episode and no explanations needed. The twist at the end was remarkable!

toxic_boy21

[44]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 13
    Wow, definitely a different but great episode. I think this is the first episode that I felt "Dollhouse" eased up from trying so hard to undo the public scrutiny it faced from the beginning ... it's been pretty intense, nonstop since Man on the Street. And now the show just feels more relaxed and settled. Sadly, we're about to hit the finale-time where things get intense and then end abruptly.. and I'm not counting on a second season.
    But nonetheless, great episode. I actually loved the little mystery with Maggie and, yes, Eliza DID sell her character more so than normal this week! I also really liked the creepy Ballard/ Mellie stuff.. it was so discomforting in the best way possible. I only hope that they'll be a decent conclusion with all these awesome stories in just 2 weeks.

penelope1985

[45]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 21
    Ok i thought this episode was decent at most. If it hadn't been for the Topher and Sierra and the Paul/Mellie subplots it would have been dull...
    I think it goes without saying that Mellie was a criminal hence all the different alter egos. And yes SVU it is ironic! One thing about the main plot was the twist at the end which i did not forsee. Which brings me to the most amazing part which i think was the line "I found one" I agree it meant himself. Given that the description for Omega says that Ballard will have to make a very important decision that will change his life, I have to say that i have believed for a awhile now that If there is a second season Ballard might be a doll too. I know that if he is it will be the end of his investigation but for some reason i think that must be it. That of course if there's a second season. Thumbs up. Oh last thing Topher was absolutely amazing in this episode . I totally felt for him...

kraylith

[46]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 10
    After the last few episodes where each one was as good or better than the one before it, this one was a let-down to be honest.

All the little side plots were good, some very nice like the Topher one, but the main story was a little too much Dallas etc. drama.

Hope the next episode will be better again.

puredieselbc

[47]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 3

OMG I can't believe how many posters liked this episode? It was basically a return to the earlier "engagement of the week" crap. From the previews I read I was expecting some more character insight into Adelle and Mellie/November. Such as how did Adelle meet her friend Maggie? Did Maggie know the real Roger that Victor was imprinted with in the last episode? What is November's real name? How exactly did she come to be in the dollhouse? How did her daughter die? Instead all we got was "life after death" and "angry sex' storylines. The Topher/Sierra thing was cute but honestly this episode was BIG a step backwards and for a show on the cancellation bubble it couldn't have come at a worst time, because seriously it's later than Joss and company think.

Sam_Sam_The_Man

[48]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    penelope1985 wrote:
    Ok i thought this episode was decent at most. If it hadn't been for the Topher and Sierra and the Paul/Mellie subplots it would have been dull...
    I think it goes without saying that Mellie was a criminal hence all the different alter egos. And yes SVU it is ironic! One thing about the main plot was the twist at the end which i did not forsee. Which brings me to the most amazing part which i think was the line "I found one" I agree it meant himself. Given that the description for Omega says that Ballard will have to make a very important decision that will change his life, I have to say that i have believed for a awhile now that If there is a second season Ballard might be a doll too. I know that if he is it will be the end of his investigation but for some reason i think that must be it. That of course if there's a second season. Thumbs up. Oh last thing Topher was absolutely amazing in this episode . I totally felt for him...

Actually...SPOILERS:

Based on the April Fool's Prank, I think Ballard may become Echo's new Handler. Also, Topher may gain the ability to perform remote imprints. Why the Dollhouse would trust the man who wants to bring them down remains a mystery to me, however...could just be a dream sequence.

SVU_Obsessed

[49]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 22
    puredieselbc wrote:

OMG I can't believe how many posters liked this episode? It was basically a return to the earlier "engagement of the week" crap. From the previews I read I was expecting some more character insight into Adelle and Mellie/November. Such as how did Adelle meet her friend Maggie? Did Maggie know the real Roger that Victor was imprinted with in the last episode? What is November's real name? How exactly did she come to be in the dollhouse? How did her daughter die? Instead all we got was "life after death" and "angry sex' storylines. The Topher/Sierra thing was cute but honestly this episode was BIG a step backwards and for a show on the cancellation bubble it couldn't have come at a worst time, because seriously it's later than Joss and company think.

Well everyone has a different opinion of their own. Just because a few members hated the episode doesn't mean that everyone else should. I thought it was a bit dull, but in my opinion I don't see it as a huge step backwards.

AnilThornberry

[50]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 19
    People, u cant expect to get answers every week.....its only still the 1st season. Some answers r most likely left for next season...hopefully we will get one.

puredieselbc

[51]Apr 25, 2009
    But just think about it? If you're someone who stopped watching this show and then heard that the last four episodes were awesome(which they were) and you saw last night's episode what would you walk away thinking? "Haunted" was no where near as good as the previous four episodes. Not even close. And sure the diehard fans will cut Dollhouse some slack but remember it doesn't have the same luxury as Heroes. This show is too close to cancellation to be airing filler episodes this late in the game.

SVU_Obsessed

[52]Apr 25, 2009
    puredieselbc wrote:
    But just think about it? If you're someone who stopped watching this show and then heard that the last four episodes were awesome(which they were) and you saw last night's episode what would you walk away thinking? "Haunted" was no where near as good as the previous four episodes. Not even close. And sure the diehard fans will cut Dollhouse some slack but remember it doesn't have the same luxury as Heroes. This show is too close to cancellation to be airing filler episodes this late in the game.

In my opinion "Haunted" was not as good as the last four, but I didn't think it was a total wreck. We still learned some new things. I just see it as a "tamer" episode. Some people on this thread think that it's the best episode of the season, so not everyone shares your view.

So by going with your example, those people would walk away thinking "That was the best episode of the season!", not everyone would grumble.

I'm just saying that not everyone thought it was as horrible as you did.

puredieselbc

[53]Apr 25, 2009

Oh I understand and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. It would be boring if they did. I'm just expressing my surprise at the overall positive reaction to the episode. I'm also expressing my doubts about the show airing basically a stand-alone case of the week episode at this point in time. At Hitfix.com the ratings for "Haunted" show it as one of the lowest rated so far.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-4-25-tv-ratings-fox-friday-dramas-droop-as-cbs-rolls

SVU_Obsessed

[54]Apr 25, 2009
    puredieselbc wrote:

Oh I understand and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. It would be boring if they did. I'm just expressing my surprise at the overall positive reaction to the episode. I'm also expressing my doubts about the show airing basically a stand-alone case of the week episode at this point in time. At Hitfix.com the ratings for "Haunted" show it as one of the lowest rated so far.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-4-25-tv-ratings-fox-friday-dramas-droop-as-cbs-rolls

Ah, ok. Well I don't think it's the lowest rated episode, I found "Haunted" to be better than the first 5 episodes by far (way better than "Stage Fright" if you ask me ). But, I've never heard of hitfix.com.

But I see where you're coming from. I don't see "Haunted" as the best episode (much preferring "Needs", "Echoes", and "Spy in the House of Love") but people just have different views of things and it adds variety whether or not we fully understand why they think that way

puredieselbc

[55]Apr 25, 2009

"Ah, ok. Well I don't think it's the lowest rated episode, I found "Haunted" to be better than the first 5 episodes by far (way better than "Stage Fright" if you ask me ). But, I've never heard of hitfix.com."

Well they do exist and I don't mean lowest ratings as in my opinion. I mean lowest ratings as in Neilson ratings.

"FOX's "Dollhouse," off last week, did a 1.9/3 in its return, averaging a series-low 2.99 million viewers." source: Hitfix.com

I'm guessing that one week off didn't do the show any favours.

SVU_Obsessed

[56]Apr 25, 2009
    Nope, we're discussing that on the Ratings Discussion thread if you want to join us there.

I partially blame FOX for lack of advertising that the show was coming back. I mean, for people who don't get on the internet, they probably thought that "Spy in the House of Love" was the end.

mattgus

[57]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 14
    i'm hoping someone can tell me the name of the guy who played her son and(oopps almost a spoiler)i know i have seen him around alot but his other work anf name are not comming to mind..anyine???

SVU_Obsessed

[58]Apr 25, 2009
    mattgus wrote:
    i'm hoping someone can tell me the name of the guy who played her son and(oopps almost a spoiler)i know i have seen him around alot but his other work anf name are not comming to mind..anyine???

I was having the same problem. His name is Jordan Bridges, Doug was kind enough to look him up for me. I recognized him from Conviction. But if you look on the 2nd page I think Doug listed a lot of other things he was in.

TwistedConverse

[59]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 23
    I really loved this episode. This is what the first 5 standalone episodes should have been like.

I loved the whole storyline of the murder and the idea of finding out what people REALLY thought of you is interesting. Adelle scenes were awesome, of course.

And yeah Eliza gave her best performance here I thought. She really went for it and she was really great. Totally believed her performance.

Topher scenes were really sad, I love how all these people at the Dollhouse are really lonely people themselves and can only stop the loneliness by using the Dolls. The whole cake scene was awesome.

And it just hit me how beautiful Eliza is tonight. She just looked phenomenal all episode.

aplourey

[60]Apr 25, 2009
    • level: 34
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    And yeah Eliza gave her best performance here I thought. She really went for it and she was really great. Totally believed her performance

I thought so.
    She played Margaret really well.

And, more brilliant acting by Olivia Williams!
    Adelle is the most intriguing character so far.

The Topher/Sierra plot was brilliant as far as comic relief and character development goes.
    Dichen Lachman is perfect playing a Doll, she is so transparent.
    Although I hope they progress on this storyline, and have Topher realize he shouldn't be using Sierra and maybe have him and Saunders hook up.

I was a bit half-heartened that Victor didn't get a big role though.
    He is a very interesting character.

There is one thing that confuses me about the show though.
    Which relationships am I rooting for?
    Echo/Ballard seem to be a recurring theme, but Mellie/Ballard seems to be dominant (who I really like).
    Then there is Victor/Sierra, but where does that leave Victor/Adelle?
    But what about Adelle/Dominic - well, I suppose that ain't a possibility anymore.
    And, it almost seems the possibility of Adelle/Boyd....
    But "Echoes" tempted us with Adelle/Topher, but the possibility of Topher/Saunders has been floated as well, not to mention Topher/Ivy (although that seems more of a familial bond).
    Too confusing!

Overall, brilliant ep!