Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Instinct"

fatfreeoreos

[81]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 40
    My thoughts wander elsewhere.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alias571

[82]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 18

I had really low expectations for this episode, but I didn't think it was that bad. My biggest problem with it is that it makes the previous episode pointless and Echo's storyline seems to be kind of stuck.
    And didn't she remember everything before? She still got imprinted the same and the only reason she didn't get wiped in the exact same way was because of the maternal instinct thing. Why go through so much trouble in Vows if this week's outcome is just like last week's? It's like the writers don't talk to each other.

And Eliza's acting was also inconsistent. She was great in some scenes and not so great in others. At least the baby was cute.

Edited on 10/03/2009 7:00pm

fatfreeoreos

[83]Oct 3, 2009
    I'm not sure what you mean about Vows not meaning anything now?

alias571

[84]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 18
    It just felt like they ignored Vows. It was all about Echo being able to remember everything, but here it was like they were taking a step back, plus the outcome was the same with Ballard talking to her. In E1 wasn't she aware of who she was when she was imprinted with the Russian girl? And if in Vows she tells Ballard that she remembers everything, shouldn't she still remember everything when imprinted in this episode?

fatfreeoreos

[85]Oct 3, 2009
    I didn't think it was very different. It's all just leading up to the outcome shown in E1, Ballard becoming her handler and her remembering everything. And the brain is a delicate thing. Maybe it's just a fluid remembrance.

AnilThornberry

[86]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 19
    Obviously, we are more observant than the writers themselves lol. But every show has little mistakes..I just want to ignore them with DH because we have like 10 episodes left and hope that we can get a good ending if canceled. :/

fatfreeoreos

[87]Oct 3, 2009
    I think there may be more than 12 episodes. They only did that last time cause it was a mid season show, like with S1 of Buffy.

michael_LB92

[88]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 24
    This episode was bland.
    EJamison wrote:
    I don't understand how Echo got out of the Dollhouse so easily after she punched Topher. I would think there would be a security protocol for getting outside. And why was there a key in the ignition? Sierra/Kelly arrived at the house much too quickly. They should have been able to intercept her before she could leave the car in the driveway. And it seemed Adele waited too long before calling Nate to inform him that Echo is heading there. How close to the Dollhouse does he live? In general, the Dollhouse doesn't seem to think out the engagements well enough. No matter how many times things to wrong, they seem not to plan for problems. I suspect Nate could have hired a wet nurse for much less money and get the positive results hoped for.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you said. They all annoyed me.
    As well as how she cut the power, like someone said before.
    *suspects Adam*

Speaking of Adam, which I am, I loved the 50th post on this thread. I was cracking up.

AnilThornberry

[89]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 19
    [QUOTE="___Mr_Nasty___"]
    Grimtank wrote:
    a sneak peak at the new imprinting chair.

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Did I mention hahaaaaaaaaa?! LMAO!!!

fatfreeoreos

[90]Oct 4, 2009
    That is a very cute chair though.

lazyjay

[91]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 30
    If I ever have the opportunity to buy that chair, I just might. And then attach a bunch of random wires to it.

fatfreeoreos

[92]Oct 4, 2009
    But like Topher said, the wires are unnecessary...and stupid. That;s why they have the cool glowy light.

Brakiri

[93]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    When this episode started, I was excited (didn't see the preview last week, and took measures to not get spoiled), but latest after Echo punched Topher in the face, it kind of got boring, and the very end left me with an empty feeling.

There were some good scenes, but overall it was an uninteresting and detached episode. On one hand, it seemed the writers from Vows were not in the same room, like the ones this ep came from (first Echo remembering everything, now not remembering, but just feeling), on the other hand, the idea behind this ep (with the new aspect, that an imprint can drastically manipulate body functions) may have looked better on the paper, than in the done TV show.

I have the suspicion, that Joss didn't expect a renewal for a second season at all, and that he did not think through a really interesting story arc for this whole second season. We all know, how it ends, Epitaph One could stay the series finale, with no need for more (although he left some things open, good enough for one or more sequels, just in case). In S1 it mainly was the the story of Ballard on the search for the Dollhouse (which already was not that good), but now we all expect some great things to happen on the way up to what we have seen in Epitaph One, and I just don't see it coming, if they stick with such unconnected episodes. Up to Epitaph One there is not that much space left, I mean the Senator is going to fail, Rossum takes over, and that's pretty much it (doesn't seem like enough stuff to fill altogether five seasons).

What I would like to know now is:

Did they already finish shooting all episodes for this season (because if Fox pulls the plug, production would stop with no ending)?

How low do the ratings have to get, for Fox to pull the plug (2.1 million already seems insanely low)?

At that point, I can not see the ratings getting any better. People that already have given up on Dollhouse, most likely will not return, even if the writer team should get it together after all. I don't expect a third season any more, and it all comes down to the point in time, when Dollhouse gets axed, so that they at least can finish the production up to the very end, so that we can have another BlueRay with the conclusion.

fatfreeoreos

[94]Oct 4, 2009
    If you don't like the show, why are you on the boards for it? Am I the only optimist left?

Brakiri

[95]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    You have to be realistic, it just didn't turn out as expected. Maybe it's just because the name Joss led to too high expectations, that were not met. As much as I like Joss & Eliza, at that point I am just disappointed. I am gonna keep watching, but the excitement is missing.

fatfreeoreos

[96]Oct 4, 2009
    I liked the entire episode. From y'all's reactions, maybe I just turn my brain off during it, cause I find nothing disappointing.

___Mr_Nasty___

[97]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 24
    Yeah, the new imprinting chair can swivel round and everything.

It's So Hi-Tech. So Fox.

I think the ending did differ significantly from Vows's ending in that in Vows Echo revealed that, while in her doll state, she could remember all her previous imprints; whereas, in Instinct, she revealed that she could 'feel' the emotions that she felt while she was those imprints. That's a whole new level of connection with her past identities.

To specualte further on her progession, at the moment it seems that whenever she is imprinted with a new personality, that then becomes dominant until she is wiped again although there have been times when she's glitched between several different ones, like at the airport in Vows.

From Epitaph One, we can see that at some point in the future she has obtained a much clearer sense of self-awareness and new imprints, such as the Russian girl, are no longer dominating so she can switch between 'Imprint' and 'Echo' at will. She's also suffering severe headaches by this point. I'm kind of expecting that's the stage she'll be at by the end of season 2.

lazyjay

[98]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 30
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    I liked the entire episode. From y'all's reactions, maybe I just turn my brain off during it, cause I find nothing disappointing.

You're not the only one who liked it. I thought it was decent too, but not the best. On my Firefly scale (which I just started using) with Bushwhacked at the bottom and Objects in Space at the top, this episode rates somewhere around Our Mrs. Reynolds. Not bad, but not great, with some brilliant comedy, and a few poignant moments.

TwistedConverse

[99]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 23
    I miss Firefly .

I liked the entire episode too .

kikimarie593

[100]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 27
    neokid0298 wrote:

They need to either move dollhouse so it doesn't compete with medium (Maybe move it to Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday when absolutely nothing is on?)

No, Mondays are like my busiest TV days. Like everyone else said, Tuesday would be better.
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    I wasn't thrilled to see November again but I can't win 'em all.

How can you not like November? She's so pretty. Pretty people are good.
    __Mr_Nasty__ wrote:

I watch NCIS one time and Illya Kuryakin was on it and he was doing some big-time crappy acting. It gave me a sad.

So yeah, Cancel NCIS and put Dollhouse in it's place somehow.

That's an order btw. Go do it!

I second that!
    __Mr_Nasty__ wrote:
    Yeah, that pesky Mars girl and her big-ass camera are getting too close uncovering the truth about the mysterious Dollhouse so she gets kidnapped and turned into a meat puppet who swims lengths in the pool and gets hired out for sex until one day she starts acting erratically by pulling people into the toilets and accusing them of killing her best friend.

You should totally be a writer for this show.