TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Omega"

fatfreeoreos

[21]May 8, 2009
    • level: 40
    Well it didn't work on me!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[22]May 8, 2009
    • level: 32
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Oh yeah I forgot that cause it cut to black so fast. So how was Whiskey imprinted so fast? Did they really need Saunders that badly?

Remember, most of the actives were killed by Alpha. They needed a Medical doctor and Whiskey was one of the few left alive. Chances are the real Saunders had his personality stored like we saw that murder victim do a few episodes ago.

fatfreeoreos

[23]May 8, 2009
    True again. Still the slight discontinuity, the speed of it, bugs me the tiniest bit.

Sam_Sam_The_Man

[24]May 8, 2009
    • level: 5

If I can be brutally honest, I preferred "Briar Rose" to this episode. The second half was far less profound and interesting than the first.

Some comments:

-Alpha's character makes a lot more sense to me. He was a deranged psychopath before he was "Dollified," and so when he was a Doll, he still had that latent evil within him. Similarly, Echo has latent good within her, because she was an altruistic (albeit foolhardy) woman before being "Dollified." I guess they are both special dolls with the ability to evolve past the Tabula Rasa and acquire bits and pieces of their previous imprints. How they use them is up to how the "original" behaved.

-Why DID Topher program Dr. Saunders to hate him? Did anyone else get the feeling that they were once siblings or something similar?

-They really shouldn't program Dolls with imprints that let them figure out they're dolls. Dr. Saunders' speech to Victor was heartbreaking. Thankfully, she turned around by the end, realizing that as long as she has this imprint, she might as well "be the best she can be." Guess the old Whiskey still lives on.

-Why did Ballard not try to help Echo? Will he become her handler, or will his mission simply be to find and kill Alpha? Good luck with that.

I very much enjoyed the first season. Here's to hoping for another one!

buffyTVSrox

[25]May 8, 2009
    • level: 33
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    True again. Still the slight discontinuity, the speed of it, bugs me the tiniest bit.

A psycho starts slashing people up, I think the first thing you'd want after a security team with guns (which they had covered) would be a doctor, and fast, before everyone bled to death (if anyone could be saved at all).

Sam_Sam_The_Man wrote:
    Alpha's character makes a lot more sense to me. He was a deranged psychopath before he was "Dollified," and so when he was a Doll, he still had that latent evil within him. Similarly, Echo has latent good within her, because she was an altruistic (albeit foolhardy) woman before being "Dollified." I guess they are both special dolls with the ability to evolve past the Tabula Rasa and acquire bits and pieces of their previous imprints. How they use them is up to how the "original" behaved.

You might even say it was up to the state of their "soul". After all, in the Dollverse it's still up in the air if such a thing exists and if it can be wiped.

As for why Topher programmed Whiskey to hate him, I figured it was just guilt over the Alpha incident, but who knows, there's almost always something deeper when Joss is at work. Still, I didn't get the vibe they previously knew each other. Could it be a third thing we haven't thought of yet?

kikimarie593

[26]May 8, 2009
    • level: 27
    Steve the Pirate is a psycho.

dragon22a

[27]May 8, 2009
    Remember there is one episode that will go unaired and we will have to wait till DVD for it because Fox won't air it. I did see a small hint as to the future when they did the april fools joke but will not say what it was as it would be a spoiler.

fatfreeoreos

[28]May 8, 2009
    Steve the Pirate is probably one of his personalities.

buffyTVSrox

[29]May 8, 2009
    dragon22a wrote:
    Remember there is one episode that will go unaired and we will have to wait till DVD for it because Fox won't air it. I did see a small hint as to the future when they did the april fools joke but will not say what it was as it would be a spoiler.

Well, from what I've heard about "Epitaph One" as I believe it's called, it's been stated that it will not answer the questions posed in "Omega".

dragon22a

[30]May 8, 2009

That scene I saw if it did take place during that episode at least answered what will happen to Agent Ballard.

Also let me say that I was really impressed with Alan Tudyk in this episode and the last one. He played Alpha perfectly with the combination of evil and insanity.

Edited on 05/08/2009 8:11pm

JDMC13

[31]May 8, 2009
    • level: 2
    Did anyone get the feeling that Whiskey might be the reason that Topher works for the Dollhouse?

After she confronted him, he seemed like shaken up. Not I've been confronted shaken up, but more of I've committed something almost as bad as the holocaust shaken up. I'm thinking he knew Whiskey before and maybe she had some mental issues so he tried to find away to take them out and discovered the whole removable personality thing.

kikimarie593

[32]May 8, 2009
    • level: 27

fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Steve the Pirate is probably one of his personalities.

Alpha said that one of his personalities had multiple personalities and since Steve the Pirate kind of has 2 personalities I think that's who he was talking about!

Beecharm3r2

[33]May 8, 2009
    • level: 8
    kikimarie593 wrote:
    Steve the Pirate is a psycho.

I forgot he was in that! Classic.

Tonight's episode was pretty good. (Even with the 5 minutes in the middle of the show as it was interrupted by the power going out here). I loved the part at the end where Echo whispers "Caroline". I thought Alpha vs. Echo was funny too. It amused me when he was like "do what I say or your brain gets it" and he's aiming the gun at the imprint chip thingie. Loved how Echo was kick ass in this too and I have to say Eliza does fight scenes really well whether she's just intimidating or actually kickin' butt. Not sure if that's because of her history on Buffy or not. Not even sure if she's doing all the stunts but she sure makes it look like she does.

I was glad to see Topher finally feeling a little remorse but I don't think he deliberately programmed Dr. Saunders/Whiskey to hate him. I think she came up with that on her own...maybe residual resentment for imprinting him all those times? And poor Wendy, I felt bad for her. But I felt worse for Victor. What's he going to be doing now? Maybe they'll make him someone's handler...

I LOVED that Ballard made a deal for November/Madeline's freedom. It was rather sweet. I liked November and if there's another season I hope she comes back to him, maybe remembering what's happened, flashes of memory or something.

mattgus

[34]May 8, 2009
    • level: 14
    THIS EP MAKES UP FOR ALL MY FEARS ABOUT A SECOND SEASON...TO BE FAIR THIS IS REALLY ONLY MID-SEASON...ABOUT X-MAS TIME...IF WE HAD 22 EPS TO WATCH I'M SURE NOBODY WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT IT BEING CANC...I HOPE IT COMES BACK...I'M HOOKED NOW...
    Edited on 05/08/2009 9:17pm

mcatrage

[35]May 8, 2009
    • level: 7

That episode just seemed lacking to me. For a season finale (wouldn't be surprised if series) it really didn't make me excited with it's ending and to me it seems like nothing substantial really happened the entire season (though the doc being an active was cool) except now Paul is helping the Dollhouse.

I'm fine if the show doesn't get renewed that way maybe Joss will go back to doing things like Dr Horrible and of course I can continue to hope for a sequel to Serenity.

buffyTVSrox

[36]May 8, 2009
    mcatrage wrote:
    I'm fine if the show doesn't get renewed that way maybe Joss will go back to doing things like Dr Horrible and of course I can continue to hope for a sequel to Serenity.

We'd have to agree to disagree. I'll be incredibly disappointed if Dollhouse doesn't get renewed, and I'd choose a new episode of it over a new Dr. Horrible in a heartbeat, and I'd take a new complete season over a sequel to Serenity.

SVU_Obsessed

[37]May 8, 2009
    • level: 22
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    mcatrage wrote:

We'd have to agree to disagree. I'll be incredibly disappointed if Dollhouse doesn't get renewed, and I'd choose a new episode of it over a new Dr. Horrible in a heartbeat, and I'd take a new complete season over a sequel to Serenity.

I'm inclined to agree with Doug here. I will be greatly saddened and disappointed if Dollhouse is not renewed. It really is a great show (in my opinion) and deserves another season.

toxic_boy21

[38]May 8, 2009
    • level: 13
    I, for one, thought that the Dollhouse finale did everything it could to wrap the "Alpha" story and even give *some* closure with the Echo/Caroline identity crisis.
    It seems like everyone, including Ballard apparently, are pretty content with Echo serving out the rest of her time as a vacant doll. While it was sad to see her back in her pod when she was so close to freedom with her old self in the blonde's body, I guess there is no real happy ending.
    As for the Alpha story, the whole thing was done brilliantly. The flashbacks filled in so much - I NEVER saw the Dr. Saunders/ Whiskey twist coming!! And I thought the Echo/ Alpha fight was epic.

Things I was confused about:
    1) So WHO was communicating to Ballard from the inside? I was thinking Dr. Saunders but it seems she was pretty in the dark about the Whiskey thing until recently...
    2) Why was November let out but not Sierra, who was FORCED in?? Grr
    3) Does this mean what happened to Whiskey will happen to Victor?

Other than that, just an AMAZING finale! And now the sad part ... Echo whispering "Caroline" may be the last thing we see of the Echo story ever. So sad, I want to cry.

SVU_Obsessed

[39]May 8, 2009
    • level: 22
    toxic_boy21 wrote:

Other than that, just an AMAZING finale! And now the sad part ... Echo whispering "Caroline" may be the last thing we see of the Echo story ever. So sad, I want to cry.

Don't forget about Epitaph 1, the final episode that we will only get to see on the DVD.

marchingbando

[40]May 8, 2009
    • level: 2

Wow. That's all I can say. I really, really hope that Dollhouse gets renewed, there is still so much that can be done.

Thoughts:

Interesting about Whiskey/Saunders... there is a lot there that is explained, and of course a lot that wasn't explained. I think Topher programmed in Whiskey to hate him, because he feels guilty over what happened with Alpha. But thats just my opinion.

Topher had the two best lines of the episode. "What is a tall, morally judgemental man doing here that's not him" ("him" being Boyd, the "man" being Ballard) and "Alpha is not a person, he's Soylent Green... he's people" (both have been paraphrased slightly as their just what I can remember of the lines)

Ballard gets to save Caroline. And then he chooses to "rescue" Mellie/November/Madeline. I really liked this, I was seriously mad at Ballard last episode for how he treated Mellie, and for him fighting Boyd, but he redeemed himself somewhat in my eyes this week. I hope, if there is a second season, that Ballard meets Madeline and they get together again.

Topher seems really shook up at the end. I think that he is starting to believe what Ballard says about the souls never really being wiped, and is wondering, maybe for the first time, about if what he is doing is right. The last few episodes have shown that there is more to Topher than the sarcastic, egotistical genius that he usually lets people see.

I love the last line... "Caroline". She is still remembering stuff! This will be great to see develop even more, please, please let there be a second season.