We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Omega"

anomie612

[81]May 9, 2009
    • level: 7
    Why is everyone up in arms about the Obama reference? Would you have been better pleased if the reference was for Bush?
    Edited on 05/09/2009 1:54pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

saneums

[82]May 9, 2009
    • level: 9

I think I have a thought as to the identity of Whiskey/Saunders' "self."

I think that her "self" might be Topher's sister.

Here are my reasonings:

• A few episodes back when Topher was hanging out with the imprint in Sierra, the "diagnostic" test. They were best friends, and it didn't appear to be romantic to me

• The way Topher acted all awkward around Saunders whenever they were in the same room.

• When Saunders told Topher in the finale that she was curious why he made the Saunders imprint hate Topher. Think about it: any romantic involvement with Saunders means that Topher would be banging his sister's body. Which is gross.

• Topher all emo when he asked Saunders/Whiskey if she wanted to know who she really was.

Thracozaag

[83]May 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    anomie612 wrote:
    Why is everyone up in arms about the Obama reference? Would you have been better pleased if the reference was for Bush?

There are plenty of those, of the anti-variety inevitably.

Thracozaag

[84]May 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    ScnJedi wrote:
    Apparently, Omega got 2.8 million viewers with a 1.0 share. A new series low.

Damn; doesn't sound good.

saneums

[85]May 9, 2009
    saneums wrote:

I think I have a thought as to the identity of Whiskey/Saunders' "self."

I think that her "self" might be Topher's sister.

Here are my reasonings:

• A few episodes back when Topher was hanging out with the imprint in Sierra, the "diagnostic" test. They were best friends, and it didn't appear to be romantic to me

• The way Topher acted all awkward around Saunders whenever they were in the same room.

• When Saunders told Topher in the finale that she was curious why he made the Saunders imprint hate Topher. Think about it: any romantic involvement with Saunders means that Topher would be banging his sister's body. Which is gross.

• Topher all emo when he asked Saunders/Whiskey if she wanted to know who she really was.

Apparently people already caught on to this. That's what I get for not reading before I post.

buffyTVSrox

[86]May 9, 2009
    • level: 33
    Thracozaag wrote:
    Interesting (and great) that the music used at the end was the same as in the beginning of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (which is all about memory).

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

kraylith wrote:
    I also don't really get why Ballard had Mellie set free and not Sierra or Echo or hells, even Victor? Yeah, he's got the hots for her but I thought he was a bit better than that.

I don't get why people are criticizing his choice. Why on earth would he free Victor? Or Sierra? It's not like he knows how they came to be there or has any connection to them. As I see it, the choice for him was between Caroline and Madeleine, and not only did he probably know the Dollhouse wouldn't let Echo go, but imagine what he went through mentally after finding out "Mellie" was a doll. How much he thought as he lay in bed about what woman used to be in the body he was with. Who was this real woman who had been scooped out of her life to make room for a fake woman made for him? He had been intimate with her, and it felt wrong to him to keep her around as a doll while more people become a client with her as the product, like he unwittingly did. It made sense to him to free her, and his choice makes sense to me.

anomie612 wrote:

I think we'd be happier if there had been no reference to real political figures at all. We get it, Obama's black, it's a step forward, fantastic. But first of all, I feel like people already focus on his race too much. He's the President, the primary focus should be on his politics, not his genetics. Second, it's television, it's fiction, and we don't need some supposed-to-be-powerful line to be all about "Look who the real-world people elected! Aren't you astounded Caroline!" and then Caroline is indeed.
    I mean, it's Dollhouse. It should be about Dolls, the Dollhouse, and the people involved with the Dollhouse. Not about American spirit and the achievements of Barack.
    I think the big problem was that it seemed so out-of-character for Dollhouse. If it were mentioned casually I'd have no problem, but it was like the big "Wow! I'm inspired and see your point!" moment for Caroline.
    Before he even started serving as President he had commemorative coins and plates. We don't need any more inspirational propaganda.

SludgeVohaul

[87]May 9, 2009
    This episode was just another episode for me, especially after how good last weeks was. Some of the revelations we got from the back stories just didn't surprise me or knock my socks off enough like I would have liked them too. I laughed at the Obama reference because it was a terribly written and acted line either way. It felt so out of place in the conversation going on.

For some reason having Ballard in the dollhouse this episode kind of bothered me. I'm not sure why. Having Ballard set November free was nice, it showed that he really had real feelings for her. Caroline/Echo has just been his obsession; he doesn't have real feelings for her.

I liked the Dr. Saunders flash back and current Whiskey storyline with the lollipop. I'm quite interested in her now and would like to know more about her story and future.

Though the actor of Alpha did a good job, it was a little hard for me since he seemed so smart last episode and then suddenly he's just a maniac. For me personally it was quite horrifying have Alpha threatening to destroy the Caroline's original personality coder. I'm glad they saved that.

Hopefully Fox will give Dollhouse more chances. I don't think I'd miss it too much, but it does have potential if the writing and stories can become much better.

DancingOmelette

[88]May 9, 2009
    • level: 3

SludgeVohaul wrote:
    Having Ballard set November free was nice, it showed that he really had real feelings for her. Caroline/Echo has just been his obsession; he doesn't have real feelings for her.

On the other hand, since Ballard is going to become a doll now, perhaps the reason he didn't choose to free Caroline was a selfish one again - she'd be free when he was stuck there being a doll. As it is, he gets to be in there around Echo, and they'll probably both be freed around the same time.

buffyTVSrox

[89]May 9, 2009
    DancingOmelette wrote:

SludgeVohaul wrote:
    Having Ballard set November free was nice, it showed that he really had real feelings for her. Caroline/Echo has just been his obsession; he doesn't have real feelings for her.

On the other hand, since Ballard is going to become a doll now, perhaps the reason he didn't choose to free Caroline was a selfish one again - she'd be free when he was stuck there being a doll. As it is, he gets to be in there around Echo, and they'll probably both be freed around the same time.

I never got the impression from "Omega" that Ballard was going to become a Doll. My understanding of what Adelle said was that he would be a contractor, sort of a security-type troubleshooter.

aquagrl87

[90]May 9, 2009

dragon22a wrote:
    I know this seems like a jump but given how Topher acted towards Whiskey/Saunders, do you think he programmed her to hate him as part of his guilt about Alpha or is it possible that the real Whiskey is somehow close to Topher before she became an active like his girlfriend or sister. I seem to remember a few episodes ago, it was Tophers birthday and he programmed Sierra to hang out with him. is it possible that he programmed Sierra to act like Who Whiskey really was.

I was wondering the exat same thing. He would have no real reason for her to hate him unless he didn't want her to like him in any way, shape, or form because he has some kind of history with her before the dollhouse. I think he has some guilt in regards to Whiskey.

aquagrl87

[91]May 9, 2009
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    DancingOmelette wrote:

SludgeVohaul wrote:

I never got the impression from "Omega" that Ballard was going to become a Doll. My understanding of what Adelle said was that he would be a contractor, sort of a security-type troubleshooter.

That was the same impression I got. I can't see them deciding to make him a doll. The whole dynamics is him being motivated to save Caroline. Wouldn't work if he was a doll.

kayleecat

[92]May 9, 2009
    Man, i'm excited, this whole Whiskey/Dr. Sounders plot blew me away, literally. And the Caroline/Omega/Alpha twists...wow, how can an awesome show like Dollhouse not get renewed? I crave for more...please!

TwistedConverse

[93]May 9, 2009
    • level: 23
    Completely and utterly loved it. The end was kinda bittersweet and loved Echo saying "Caroline" at the end.

And Amy Acker is amazing and should get her own show.

kikimarie593

[94]May 9, 2009
    • level: 27

TwistedConverse wrote:
    Completely and utterly loved it. The end was kinda bittersweet and loved Echo saying "Caroline" at the end. And Amy Acker is amazing and should get her own show.

Oh, maybe if it's renewed she can become a main character! That would be awesomeness!

Edited on 05/09/2009 5:19pm

TwistedConverse

[95]May 9, 2009
    I JUST REALISED ADELLE WON'T BE IN EPITAPH ONE.

THIS COULD BE THE LAST OF ADELLE EVER.

And she was so awesome with all the hugging and stuff *worships Adelle*

fatfreeoreos

[96]May 9, 2009
    • level: 40
    Hmmm, I'm ruminating on whether Topher and Whiskey were related. They could be siblings, and she's only seven years older than him in real life, so it's a slight possibility. But really, I never got that vibe.

buffyTVSrox

[97]May 9, 2009
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    THE LAST OF ADELLE EVER.

No!

Why must you bring up such a sad thought!

TwistedConverse

[98]May 9, 2009
    The thought of no more Adelle actually makes me depressed.

She should totally have her own show.

CaptainHarkness

[99]May 9, 2009
    This episode was just amazing in every way. Thsaunders thing really threw me for a loop. If this show doesn't come back I'll be greatly peeved. How can a show like Heroes come back after their god awful finale but Dollhouse get canceled? Let's hope for another season.

Izzytheinsane

[100]May 9, 2009
    I haven't been a big fan of this show up until this episode(didn't see "Briar Rose" yet). Dollhouse was looking like it would be a black mark on Joss Whedon's resume but this episode was pretty good. There were a few speeches I wasn't a fan of but overall it's not letting me down. They put more Amy Acker in the show, which is a big plus for me, and if looks like she might actually be one of the main characters next season, getting some real screen time. Also, they have ALAN TUDYCK! Being a big Fire Fly fan, that makes me very very happy. If Nathan Fillion appears next season somewhere then I think I might faint (Or maybe even Summer Glau O_O).

Great episode, not perfect, but I really hope this is the direction the series is heading. Seeing that Amy Acker became a single imprint then maybe Victor will get a regular imprint too and we can see some real character development from him. It might be a little cheesy though since it'd be like the red shirts from Star Trek: You get your face scarred up, you get a single imprint. Really glad Topher is getting a bit of heart too. First with Sierra and his birthday, then here in the final scene with Amy. I hope they continue. But yeah, great episode. Keep 'er up.