Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Spy in the House of Love"

jyarter

[41]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 33

This episode is what I expected when I first heard about this show. There have been some good episodes, but this one was excellent. Episode Nine. I guess that's not bad for Whedon based on his past track record.

There have been some really good thoughts on the twists for this show mention here. Keep it up. It's great to read.

Thanks...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattsafreak

[42]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 16
    I really hope people didnt give up on the Dollhouse after the first few eps. It is getting better and I am really looking forward to it every week. It isn't what most of us who love Joss expected, but it is a really interesting show. I feel like every week we are peeling back new layers of each character, especially Echo. I hope it gets a second season, preferably on a different night!

lazyjay

[43]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 30
    I'm writing this as a kind of mis-directed stream of conciousness (make of that what you will). I just finished the episode and while I'm still blown away, I'm reading this thread and being reminded of things to talk about, and being colored by the opinions expressed. (sorry about the tortured language and reasoning - you'll probably find this post is self contradicting in several places. That's what Joss at his best does to me.) Oh, and, SVU_Obsessed, I loved your written-as-it-happens post. Ways in which it was awesome
    A - Above all my comments below, the acting throughout was spectacular. Even avoided Eliza's little "shoulder brake, head shake" crutch.
    1 - humor/commentary - Echo/dominatrix dialogue. Exactly what service do the Actives provide? Topher's "I'm a freakin' genius" attitude coming up against the reality that sometime genius is not enough, and people and pragmatism are often more real.
    2 - Intrigue and twists - The obvious traitor was Dominic when Adelle left. I thought it was misdirection, so I was surprised that it wasn't! (Too bad, I wish Reed Diamond hadn't been shelved, I've liked him ever since Homicide.) Cool! We finally see something about what "The Attic" is.
    3 - Adelle - Wow, talk about a character piece! And the amazing thing is she was absent through a large part of the episode. Her meet up with Victor, (another small twist re. "lonely octogenarian" ... god I love this show) showing her realization that her attachment, while more interactive, was about as meaningful as a relationship with a (euphemism) sex toy would be. And what was up with the pointed repetition of the name "Catherine"? Am I missing something here? And the whole standing there with a bullet wound thing and not wanting anesthesia - guilt manifestation? And waiting in the wings, what exactly was her relationship with Dominic? Was ot more than professional betrayal?
    4 - Wistfull sadness - The Balard/not-really-Mellie thing was heart breaking. Yes, we saw it 14 miles away, but still...
    5 - More intrigue - What exactly did Dominic mean when He said the NSA put him there to make sure the Dollhouse didn't go off track? (exact dialogue escapes me)
    6 - Random dialogue - OK, I'm sorry I don't have specifics. I just know that the the dialogue was witty for this episode.
    7 - Echo's almost disinterested listening the the various conversations and activities and the lead up to the inevitable "I can help you"
    8 - Preview for next episode - Seems to be just piling on the awesome!

Ways in which it wasn't quite "there"...
    At this point not "ways" but "way" - I can absolutely see why someone not caught up in the story-to-date would change the channel. Sure, sex-dom-Eliza was intriguing, but not enough to hold attention if your not already invested in the show.

Argh! Too much reading!
    Suffice it to say I loved this episode above all others to date. The words and twists were fantastic. I can't wait for the next one (two weeks).

kraylith

[44]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    lol...

"Did I just lose an argument to a doll?" Awesome

Adelle being Ms. Lonelyhearts wasn't very surprising, especially after Adelle's line "Oh, I got a a good story about him (Victor)." in the ... "munchies" episode it was pretty clear she was Lonelyhearts. For a second they nearly got me though, with that old lady.

It must be so weird for Adelle "dating" a doll ... Dominic a spy?! Oo Definitely did NOT see that.

But what did Echo say? I didn't understand what she was saying? "20 seconds.." whatever?

We finally know what the attic is, nice.

The final conversation with Dominic, really nice.

The "attic-ification" oO. Adelle just shrugging off being shot. lol..

Boyd got a promotion. In itself... cool. but losing the job as Echo's handler? Awww....

Great episode again.

talieson

[45]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 7
    I am ompletely lost.I enjoyed watching the episode but I have zero clue who is working for who, who knows what and who is spying on who. I suspect I'm not the only one :/

amber8032

[46]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 28
    Amazing episode, Dollhouse has evolved to a much better and exciting show! I just hope it´s not cancelled, because now it´s getting really interesting!!

mariemare

[47]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 2
    Wow!!!! Waiting a week for this is definitely worth it! I love this show! Just a few interesting points I noted from watching the episode, here comes nothing:

1. Someone already has mentioned it but I too don't believe that Dominic is the inside man feeding information to Ballard. His work for the NSA is to ensure the dollhouse runs smoothly, but instead they don't believe in the Rossum Corporation and thinks that it will ultimately fail dollhouse. However, the inside man wants to expose and bring down the dollhouse, at least that's what they are implying because it is the intention of Ballard to bring down dollhouse, so why else would you help someone if you don't have the same intention? Moreover, if NSA exposes dollhouse like that to Ballard, how is that ensuring the dollhouse will survive?
    2. November is becoming self-aware too!!!!! Her comment about Echo waving to her is intriguing!
    3. I think Adelle is honestly naive about the dollhouse's true purpose.From the conversation Dominic has with her, she truly believes that the dollhouse provides fantasies and in turn, help people. If it's true that the dollhouse has a much more sinister plan as suggested by the inside man, Adelle certainly has no idea because she seems to genuinely believe in its greater good of dollhouse helping people. 4. Echo and Sierra are both still self-aware!!!! Now end rambling.

Actually not quite, I have a question about the attic because I didn't quite catch it. I understand that Dominic's memory/personality/everything that makes his mind human was downloaded onto the disk. However, what becomes of his body? Adelle said they will box him, does that mean he's in a vegetative state that can be awoken or is he closer to being dead?

Thracozaag

[48]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 5
    Any theories on how Sierra managed to get through the door so quickly in order to get extracted?

michael_LB92

[49]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 24
    ^^ She believed in herself?

Anyway, I love Adelle. I knew she wasn't just some evil boss lady. She can be harsh-like, but she really is human. I think the only character who has not shown a relateable/sympathising side is Topher, but his comic relief will excuse him for that for now.

This episode was seriously messed up by the end. Echo, our protagonist, is protecting the evil place holding people against their will. Dominic, the guy who tried to kill our protagonist, is trying to infiltrate the evil place holding our protagonist. I love and sympathise for Adelle, the person in charge of this evil place.

Who's on whose side now?

S-Shield

[50]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 21

kraylith wrote:
    But what did Echo say? I didn't understand what she was saying? "20 seconds.." whatever? .

She said her last clue that Dominic was the spy was that "20 seconds ago, you unbuttoned your gun's holster." And then he pulled his gun and fired.

TwistedConverse

[51]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 23
    Wow, amazing episode! Jane Espenson wrote it, right? She was always my second favourite Buffy writer (behind Joss).

I couldn't believe Adelle was using Dolls! When he first went to the old lady's house and gave her the flowers and then just left I was like WTF? And then it was him and Adelle and I was all OMG. This episode really made me love Adelle, she just seemed more human.

Dominic being the spy was a shock for me as well, I never would have guessed! The fight was awesome and I loved how Adelle dealt with him. And Sierra was awesome "Do you have a pen? Never mind *uses pen-needle to knock lady out* got one!" Dichen is a great actress.

Echo asking Topher to give her an imprint was really good as well but I still don't know why Adelle won't send her to the Attic (which sounds terrifying btw). She's clearly going to be another Alpha.

All in all, loved the entire episode, love the show so much and desperately hoping ratings have improved (even a slight improvement would make me happy).

michael_LB92

[52]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 24
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    And Sierra was awesome "Do you have a pen? Never mind *uses pen-needle to knock lady out* got one!" Dichen is a great actress.

I like Sierra's general story this episode, but that one part made me cringe with cheesiness. It just seemed so unrealistic or silly. I dunno, but it was probably the thing I hated most about this episode.

I love Jane Espenson too. (She gives hella boring commentaries though)

TwistedConverse

[53]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 23
    I've never listened to the Buffy commentaries. I always try but then I end up wanting to watch the episode and turn it off.

BiniBeans

[54]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 21
    Definitely the best episode so far. Loved all of it. None of the characters annoyed me. Great job!

amaryllis88

[55]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 20
    I still don't get why Dominic was trying to kill Echo all those times before? I'm thinking there's just gotta be somebody else inside the DH, but had Dom take the fall for it, what if it is Ivy, but since they put her as the red herring, they wouldn't buy that it's really her...oh I dunno, that sounds too convoluted.

How did Sierra get thru the door? Did she break the glass? Now I get the picture on the front of this page, Boyd, Adelle, and Topher are all standing next to each other, but there's no Dominic..I always wondered about the way it was shot. I'm curious to see Dom in the Attic...but towards the very end of the episode, when he was in the van taking a ride, was that AFTER he was mind-wiped or before? Everyone's made such good argumentative points, I love analyzing these things, and talking it out more...it sorta makes it more understandable.

Frenz9

[56]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    Another great episode, a lot of information given out.

Im with the group in believing there is definatly someone else in the dollhouse, or even perhaps had Dominic working as a doll?

Thracozaag

[57]Apr 11, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:

How did Sierra get thru the door? Did she break the glass?

I guess--one of those wonderful Whedon-esque moments that's left undone, and one is left to ponder.

KillswitchEdge

[58]Apr 11, 2009

Thracozaag wrote:
    amaryllis88 wrote:

How did Sierra get thru the door? Did she break the glass?
    I guess--one of those wonderful Whedon-esque moments that's left undone, and one is left to ponder.

My theory is that since Dominic was NSA that he could have gotten a message through to them that said "Let her escape, but don't make it look obvious". Since the NSA planted the file that implicated Ivy, this is the most realistic possibility.

If I was in Dominic's position, I'd have done everything I could to make it not look like it was me, that includes making the "intrusion", "collection" and "escape" as realistic for the operative as possible. Sierra was imprinted with the traits of a spy, anything remotely easy would have probably led to problems for Dominic in the form of "How did I get out of there so easily?".

Great episode all in all, though. Hoping it stays strong and keeps building, if Joss Whedon gets another show axed by Fox he needs to find a better studio to show his stuff.

SVU_Obsessed

[59]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 22
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    I'm curious to see Dom in the Attic...but towards the very end of the episode, when he was in the van taking a ride, was that AFTER he was mind-wiped or before?

When he was in the van with Echo (or whatever the imprint was) he hadn't been wiped. If I remember correctly, Echo was transporting him back to the Dollhouse since he was previously at the place Adelle was staying at. Later on was when the very person he was ended up on a hard drive and he was sent to the attic.

SVU_Obsessed

[60]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 22
    I also didn't realize all of the foreshadowing from "Echoes". I mentioned in my first post about the comment Adelle made about Viktor being lofty, but then there was also Dominic apologizing to Echo over and over again for trying to kill her. Maybe he actually was sorry for trying to get rid of her, but it was part of his job, since he might actually be considered the "good guy".

Or maybe Dominic knew that Echo was trying to protect the Dollhouse far before everyone else knew and was trying to get rid of her because of that. Guess we'll find out sooner or later.