Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Stop-Loss"

grailwolf

[1]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 55

Please discuss the episode "Stop-Loss" in this thread. These threads will appear each week to prevent topics repeating themselves on the forum. Please limit episode discussion to the official thread for at least two days to avoid spoilers on other threads.

Summary:

Victor's contract lapses and he goes back out into the real world... where his past life threatens his future with Sierra.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jon_MW_14

[2]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 39
    Fantastic episode! I love learning more about Victors past. I like the end of the episode when Adelle sent Echo, Victor, and Sierra to the Attic. My favourite scene is when Victor can't get to sleep so he goes and sleeps in his bathtub.

The_Dude14

[3]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 7

I missed the begining of this episode, for some reason I thought the double-shots ended last weekend. Glad I checked on the off-chance.

Entertaining episode, all and all. Not one of the best of the series, but entertaining. Echo becoming the Super Soldier was neat. The Hive-mind soldiers idea was interesting (they're making Borg, now) and one that may not be as Sci-Fi as we'd like to think.

Definately one hell of an ending. The Attic has been built up, be interesting to see how it goes in the next issue, but it certainly starts off is horrifying fashion.

Cruella DeWitt got a chuckle.

fatfreeoreos

[4]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 40
    I have been waiting so long to find out anything about Viktor's real life. So happy he got his own episode. Now we know his background, why he got into the Dollhouse and his real name, which I have been dying to know.

KingofIPirates

[5]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 32
    Mediocre episode overall, while it was quite bland and monotonous throughout; only thing that saved this one from being a subpar episode was the ending.

lazyjay

[6]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 30
    Rossum is responsible for the Borg. Huh.

lazyjay

[7]Dec 18, 2009
    Which I guess makes Echo the first Hive Queen.
    Edited on 12/18/2009 8:28pm

netgoddess

[8]Dec 18, 2009
    • level: 10
    lazyjay wrote:
    Which I guess makes Echo the first Hive Queen.
    LMAO yeah any tech that could be invented and abused, Rossum created. I'd not be surprised if Spike's chip was created by Rossum and given to the military. LOL

electricpeppers

[9]Dec 19, 2009
    • level: 26
    I liked the Angel shoutout: Hyperion Hotel. Hee.

historylover20

[10]Dec 19, 2009
    • level: 28

I liked it. But, I'm finding I love Enver Gjokja more and more with each episode. He said in an interview that he has a movie coming out in 2010, and I don't care what it is--I want to see it.

And I really enjoy the love story between Victor and Sierra. She's there--it heps him stay focused. Aw. And Tony kicked butt, by the way, when Priya was around. I generally don't like love stories--hate rom coms. But this one really works. It's sweet and engaging.

I laughed at "Oh, we just got company. A whole lot!" Hee! And "Only four? I'm hurt." Ha!

And, come on

Echo: Say goodbye now or regret it forever.
    Victor: Bye! *waves like a five-year-old*

Boy, Dewitt is a lush. I doubt Boyd had to drug her or anything. Boyd calls 'em like he sees 'em. Hee! She's just drinking so much. And the conspiracy now includes Ivy. Sweet!

I really enjoyed this one. Of course, it was a set-up for "Attic." But, it explored Victor. And had focus on Sierra and Victor's love story. I was happy.

Kat

Edited on 12/19/2009 9:11am

fatfreeoreos

[11]Dec 19, 2009
    What's the Borg and the Hive?

The_Dude14

[12]Dec 19, 2009

fatfreeoreos wrote:
    What's the Borg and the Hive?
    In Star Trek: The Next Generation, the Borg are an alien race that assimilates other individuals and cultures into its Collective, a hive mind (meaning that there are no individuals). Their only purpose is to spread and assimilate. Through their hive concsiousness, they are quick to adapt to weapons and tactics, making them useless against them, and, when they assimilate an individual, that person's knowledge becomes part of the Collective. The Borg was one of the most memorable villains of TNG and the primary antagonist of some of that series best episodes, namely The Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 and 2.

In this episode, the soldiers are a part of a Hive Mind that reminded me of the Collective and the Borg.

In the second Star Trek: TNG Movie, First Contact (fun fact: directed by Jonathan Frakes, who played Cmdr. William Riker in the movie and series, and directed the Dollhouse episode Belonging), The Borg are retconned to be given a Borg Queen, an individual amongst the Collective who directs the Borg's actions. When Echo plugs herself in and overwhelms the hive consciousness, and gives the hive orders, we draw the allusion to the Borg Queen.

Yeah, I'm a nerd. I accept this.

lazyjay

[14]Dec 19, 2009
    The_Dude14 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm a nerd. I accept this.
    Me too!

fatfreeoreos

[15]Dec 19, 2009
    Isn't there a TV.com level called The Borg Queen?

althalus69

[16]Dec 19, 2009
    • level: 11
    Okay, I need to say this now:

FOX and Joss Whedon: I HATE YOU!

First you bumble along for half a season, then you realise, the fans are revolting.
    You change the stories, give us an arc, yada yada yada...

Epitah One comes along: Everything is in here...already! We should have gotten Epitah One first thing. As the pilot maybe- Woven into the plot. whatever!

Then we get season two and right when it says "canceled" you pull out all the stops and make great stories, flesh out all the characters, make us feel...God I hate you guys. Really I do.

I will not watch another Whedon show unless it is in its 3rd season going for 4th.

I will miss Dollhouse, seriously I will. And American TV is going down the drain with all the other **** shows.
    There was nothing inspriring this season.

The_Dude14

[17]Dec 19, 2009
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Isn't there a TV.com level called The Borg Queen?
    Probably. After First Contact, the Borg Queen became a recurring villain in the Star Trek spin-off series Voyager.

thetruesora

[18]Dec 19, 2009
    • level: 22
    When I watched the episode I really couldn't think what all the voices talking together sounded like even though straight away i was calling it a hive mind. It was almost like i had the word "borg" in my mind but I couldn't conciously realise "oh their voices combined like that sounds like the borg!".

fatfreeoreos

[19]Dec 19, 2009
    It almost makes you wonder why Rossum is making an army, what they're preparing for.