Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "The Hollow Men"

historylover20

[41]Jan 19, 2010
    • level: 28

fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Oh...well that works out then.

Glad you said that, because I had to yell at someone on the Smallville thread who was whining that Smallville is also preempted. She didn't think it was fair that her favorite show was being preempted. I told her that there are worse things in life than Smallville being preempted, so get over it.

So, thank you for your post.

Also, E1--

Boyd's only scene has already been seen on the show. When he's shot and he's going to Whiskey to be treated. First time we realize that they would end up together.

Whiskey is a Doll. With no scars. Not sure how that happens.

Some other flashbacks I don't know about--Victor as Ambrose (but, I think Stop-Loss would also be the best placement of it) and when Dominic confronts Adelle about everything. And when did the Dolls put their real-personality wedges in the wall?

I do think that not everything is going to be tied up, as it's going to be seen in E1. We'll see, though. In 2 weeks.

Kat

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fatfreeoreos

[42]Jan 19, 2010
    • level: 40
    Well I said that cause I'm planning to go to a concert with my boyfriend and some of his buddies.

The_Dude14

[43]Jan 19, 2010
    • level: 7

There's a lot about Whiskey/Doc. Saunders that we don't and probably won't know about. How she loses her scars (I originally thought that Evil Boyd would take care of that, but he didn't have time... I guess they had it done in celebration for averting the Dollpacalypse and the joke was on them)?

Who the hell was Whiskey originally? Why doesn't Whiskey take back her original personality? Was she a criminal, like Alpha... like a sexy criminal? Why does she drop the Doc Saunders imprint?

The fact that I'm probably never going to know really bothers me.

Also, not really related, but what do you suppose Doc. Saunders V: 1.0's first name was? I can only assume that it wasn't Claire... or that guy had about the worst lot I can think of.

historylover20

[44]Jan 20, 2010

fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Well I said that cause I'm planning to go to a concert with my boyfriend and some of his buddies.

That works too.

Kat

michael_LB92

[45]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 24
    A very good episode. The rushed story didn't bother me, as I'm used to it by now. But it is a shame that the show is ending so quickly. Had the show gotten even another season I think things like Boyd's explanation would have been much more satisfying. I understood why he did what he did, but it was explained in about 30 seconds. Had the show had more time, I think they would have maybe included flashbacks or more examples of how Boyd influenced and manipulated everyone. So kudos to the writers for shoving as much into an episode as possible.

Mellie's death: like someone else said, it annoyed me that she overpowered her Sleeper. I would have preferred Paul being forced to kill her or something. It would have made it more heart-wrenching, and a little less "power-of-love"y. But still, not lots to complain about
    Boyd as a Doll... and trying to be his best... naw...

spikemaniac

[46]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 50
    The best part of this episode was Victor being Topher and the Whiskey/Echo fight. Actually Amy Acker was awesome in every scene. I also saw Mellie's death coming. Didn't see Boyd's though. I liked it. I thought it was well done. A good episode.

The_Dude14

[47]Jan 20, 2010
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I would have preferred Paul being forced to kill her or something. It would have made it more heart-wrenching, and a little less "power-of-love"y. But still, not lots to complain about
    And Ballard wouldn't have been so completely useless. Would have far preferred that.

spikemaniac

[48]Jan 20, 2010
    The_Dude14 wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I would have preferred Paul being forced to kill her or something. It would have made it more heart-wrenching, and a little less "power-of-love"y. But still, not lots to complain about
    And Ballard wouldn't have been so completely useless. Would have far preferred that.

Yeah agreed, that would have been heaps better.

TwistedConverse

[49]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 23
    spikemaniac wrote:
    The best part of this episode was Victor being Topher and the Whiskey/Echo fight. Actually Amy Acker was awesome in every scene. I also saw Mellie's death coming. Didn't see Boyd's though. I liked it. I thought it was well done. A good episode.

When is Amy Acker ever not awesome though?

thetruesora

[50]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 22
    I really thought Ballard was going to be the one to hit Boyd or something I did not see that coming with Topher wiping him.

TwistedConverse

[51]Jan 20, 2010
    I wish Ballard had died instead of Boyd.

fatfreeoreos

[52]Jan 20, 2010
    Am I the only one who does not find Ballard useless or annoying? I quite like him.

And yes, if we don't find out Whiskey's background, I'm gonna be super pissed. That's the mystery that bugs me the most: her real name and her relationship to Topher.

spikemaniac

[53]Jan 21, 2010
    Nah you're not Jen, I don't mind Ballard.

historylover20

[54]Jan 21, 2010

I found Ballard useless, but I found him hilarious. So, I'm glad he survived.

Kat

akamidnight

[55]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 13
    Why didn't they remove Mellie's Sleeper component when they imprinted her? It was a stupid thing to do, leaving that in, no? Her death was unnecessary, I think. And another random question: Why did Ballard avoid kissing Mellie? It was obvious he cared for her. Was it his 'you only love me cause they made you love me and I don't wanna take advantage of that' thing or the 'Goshness you're a bloody doll, it's just wrong' thing? Ballard confuses the lollipops outta me.
    Edited on 01/21/2010 10:14am

TwistedConverse

[56]Jan 21, 2010
    Ballard is right down there with Connor and Kennedy as one of my least favourite Whedon characters. The show would have been far better without him imo.

spikemaniac

[57]Jan 21, 2010
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    Ballard is right down there with Connor and Kennedy as one of my least favourite Whedon characters. The show would have been far better without him imo.

I love Connor, and Kennedy is annoying as hell but she's nice looking.

I agree that Mellie's death was unnessecary. Maybe not pointless though. I mean she really had no reason to stick around.

fatfreeoreos

[58]Jan 21, 2010
    Could they have taken the sleeper part out? I don't know if they can remove parts of imprints once they've been solidified.

The_Dude14

[59]Jan 21, 2010

I consider myself a big fan of Ballard. I really enjoyed his arc in Season 1 and seeing how he would fit into the Dollhouse was one of the things I was looking forward to the most in Season 2. It has been my biggest disappointmen of this season.

I mean, Ballard goes from an awesome fight with Boyd in Briar Rose to being the boy hostage, the damsel in distress.

I assume that imprinting Mellie with her sleeper thing still active was a matter of expediency. She needed a functional personality and the one that had the connection to Ballard was the logical choice. They simply used the wedge that they had. The part of me that wanted Ballard to be a wildcard character also wants to think that they used Mellie with the sleeper intact to keep Ballard in line. With his connection to Echo severed, Adelle needed someone Ballard was connected to, or if he decided to try to take down the Dollhouse, again, an ace in the hole.

akamidnight

[60]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 13

Topher can do anything. Plus, they modified Victor's original personality to give him some kick ass skills. And they took away his PTSD. If they can do all that, taking away or at least deactivating a sleeper component, would be easy.

I understand why they imprinted Mellie, but I don't think it was to keep Ballard in check. He wanted her out and they couldn't trust whats her name, Madeline? He wanted to take Rossum down too, they were working together.

Edited on 01/21/2010 10:18am
    Edited 2 total times.