Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "The Left Hand"

Sagerian

[21]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 9
    All I can say is screw you Fox. This show is still so amazing, I laughed, I cried, it had it all. Victor as Topher II was just brilliant. But still, what's more brilliant than TWO TOPHERS? One Summer Glau. It doesn't seem to matter what she does, it's all so swoon worthy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fatfreeoreos

[22]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 40
    Summer is in danger of getting typecast though. She always plays smart, robotic type people. River, Cameron (a terminator), and now Bennet. I liked her character, but I worry when they introduce a new relationship like this, Echo/Caroling and Bennet's past, so late into the last season.

Sagerian

[23]Dec 6, 2009
    True, I did kinda think she'd be a handler or something, especially after all the fuss Joss made about giving her a character that was meant to be something a little different.

But still, it's Summer freaking Glau, I'll take what I can get.

___Mr_Nasty___

[24]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 24
    Haha, this one was MUCH better than the last one. Loved all the Topher and Bennett interactions and Victor was just one of the funniest things I've seen on any tv programme in a long, long time. That fellow Gjokaj is going all the way to the top, surely.

Interesting to see what Bennett's going to do with Madeline now. Make her into some nemesis for "Caroline"?

BAGTbird

[25]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 10

D.C. Dollhouse is awesome! The Devil runs the show, and the main programmer is a neurotic Terminator.

This convinced me that Victor and his imprints are the best characters on the show. He was a better Topher than Topher.

It also renews my fury at FOX for cancelling it. I hope the remaining episodes make it go out with bang, and not an eternal cliffhanger.

thetruesora

[26]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 22
    As with everyone else I was AMAZED by Enver in this episode. The two Tophers interaction was just crazy. I reckon Victor as Dewitt should be one of the things we get to see in the finale! The Topher/Bennett parts were my fave in the episode. It kind of had both a friendly flirty feeling and a darker "who's playing who" to it.

lazyjay

[27]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 30
    thetruesora wrote:
    I reckon Victor as Dewitt should be one of the things we get to see in the finale!

That would be beyond awesome.
    thetruesora wrote:
    The Topher/Bennett parts were my fave in the episode. It kind of had both a friendly flirty feeling and a darker "who's playing who" to it.
    The best relationships (at least on TV) always do.

ErikN81

[28]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 2
    Glasses! With a string! Win! The next time I'm asked what my ideal woman is, I'm going to have to say that I prefer the "evil librarian type".

michael_LB92

[29]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 24
    I liked this episode. It was good.
    Yes, Enver was amazing. No Sierra in either of them? A tad upsetting, but understandable since the last time we saw her she killed some guy.
    Next week looks awesome!

I think fatfreeoreos said it before, but I kind of don't like the introduction of this Bennet/Echo friendship so late into the season. Obviously the writers didn't know when they wrote this (that the show would be cancelled), but I hope we have time to wrap most of everything up! Especially since next week is opening a whole other can of worms (Alpha, woo).

netgoddess wrote:
    Speaking of TV universes, I love Joss' work but why call it "the Whedenverse"? Dollhouse and Firefly do not live in the same universe as Buffy/Angel. I'm all for seeing Joss working with familiar faces, but really it's silly to categorize these shows together.

Well, it's just a way of saying that these actors have all worked with Joss before. Firefly and Dollhouse is like apples/oranges, but we acknowledge that Summer Glau is part of the "worked-with-Whedon" gang, along with Alexis and Eliza (...and Amy).

Speaking of this, I loved all the Alexis/Elizaness of these two episodes.

tjaman

[30]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 32
    I was in awe of Summer's performance throughout, and also Enver's bull's-eye interpretation of Topher. Also, nice work by Ray Wise. In terms of friendships, Caroline of Bennet, that seems like the sort of thing someone programs to seed mischief. There seemed to be too many cross-purposes, no one _actually_ in charge, and it seems like people can get in and out of a Dollhouse easily enough if the plot calls for it.

New ethical twist: If your child is a layabout wastrel, can you program them with leadership engrams to be Someone, in which case, can everyone be a senator, or should, actually, no one be a senator? How much would we save on public schools if we could just shine a blue light on everyone and fast-forward life skills considerably?

Edited on 12/06/2009 7:47pm

fatfreeoreos

[31]Dec 6, 2009
    BAGTbird wrote:
    D.C. Dollhouse is awesome! The Devil runs the show, and the main programmer is a neurotic Terminator.

Okay, that's funny.

fatfreeoreos

[32]Dec 6, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    netgoddess wrote:
    Speaking of TV universes, I love Joss' work but why call it "the Whedenverse"? Dollhouse and Firefly do not live in the same universe as Buffy/Angel. I'm all for seeing Joss working with familiar faces, but really it's silly to categorize these shows together.

Well, it's just a way of saying that these actors have all worked with Joss before. Firefly and Dollhouse is like apples/oranges, but we acknowledge that Summer Glau is part of the "worked-with-Whedon" gang, along with Alexis and Eliza (...and Amy).

Exactly. The "Whedonverse" is simply a group name for all the shows Joss has done, Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse. There's the Buffyverse as well, which is Buffy/Angel. It's usually used to reference actors that have appeared on any show.

BAGTbird

[33]Dec 6, 2009

tjaman wrote:
    New ethical twist: If your child is a layabout wastrel, can you program them with leadership engrams to be Someone, in which case, can everyone be a senator, or should, actually, no one be a senator? How much would we save on public schools if we could just shine a blue light on everyone and fast-forward life skills considerably? .

Have you read Michael Crichton's novel Next? It involves genetic engineering.

***SPOILER***

Your post just made me think of that. Not exactly the same as what the Dollhouse is doing, but similar.

netgoddess

[34]Dec 7, 2009
    tjaman wrote:
    In this week's podcast I reflect at length on the cancellation of Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse," determined to enjoy every episode FOX decides to air. For my sidecast,
    Your sig link are broken "500 Internal Server error"

Sagerian

[35]Dec 7, 2009
    BAGTbird wrote:

I was just saying to a friend how it made me laugh that the devil was running a dollhouse, that's exactly the kind of thing he'd be getting into to attract souls. Dollhouse/Reaper crossover ftw.

thetruesora

[36]Dec 9, 2009
    So is The Devil going to appear any more in it? I figured he was going to have more screentime since he was listed as "special guest star".

Lady_Lancaster

[37]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 41
    As everyone has been saying, the most obviously excellent thing about this episode was Enver as Topher, terrific stuff - I was reminded of a couple of episodes ago when he became "Kiki" and was impressed once again at his versatility. Overall, a very good episode in my opinion, thoroughly enjoyable. Looking forward to the next pair!

buffyTVSrox

[38]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 33
    One small thing I noticed while rewatching the episode. I hope (though I doubt) that we get a Dollhouse soundtrack released, because I really like the Topher/Bennet score. It's so quirky and sets the mood wonderfully.

thetruesora

[39]Dec 12, 2009
    ^Yeah it makes you sympathise with Topher a bit. Ok he was using her a little to access Perrin's brain scan but he thougt there was a special connection there and it's a shame she turned out to be crazy.

TwistedConverse

[40]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 23
    Excellent episode. Bennett is brilliant and Enver was amazing as Topher. And Adelle was just in this episode.