Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Vows"

lazyjay

[141]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 30
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Hahaha, "I'm cutting you off." "Did it hurt?"
    I have a feeling that's a reference I'm missing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fatfreeoreos

[142]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 40
    It's from a Buffy episode.

lazyjay

[143]Oct 1, 2009
    Ooh, it's from Beer Bad.
    Google is so useful.

fatfreeoreos

[144]Oct 1, 2009
    That's the best quote from that episode. Or the only good one.

lazyjay

[145]Oct 1, 2009
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Or the only good one.

___Mr_Nasty___

[146]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 24
    It's not even very good anyway.

Lady_Lancaster

[147]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 41
    This is a thread for discussing "Vows" not "Buffy" and there were a lot worse episodes than "Beer Bad" Like about 8 out of 13 Dollhouse ones.

___Mr_Nasty___

[148]Oct 2, 2009
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    This is a thread for discussing "Vows" not "Buffy" and there were a lot worse episodes than "Beer Bad" Like about 8 out of 13 Dollhouse ones.

Wrong.

Lady_Lancaster

[149]Oct 2, 2009
    ___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

Wrong.

*grin* Ok then, 9 out of 10.

Just joking, of course, I'd hardly be on the board if I didn't like the show.

Madelynn1984

[150]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 6

I liked this episode better than the whole first season. I loved Amy Acker, especially her scene with Topher. (Don't actually know that actors name. . .) Topher was great in this episode too. I don't think he is related to Amy, nor do I think he knew her before the dollhouse. I just think he formed an attachment to her and wanted to keep her around after her face was cut. It would be cool if he did know her before, but that whole "neither of us really knows the other" part led me to believe he had never gotten to know the real her. I agree with everyone who said this episode was more Whedonesque than the first season.

Accents. Since I know Alexis Denisof from Buffy/Angel, and Jamie Bamber from BSG, it was weird to hear both of their accents. They both sounded kinda fake to me. (Ridiculous, I know, since these were their real accents.) A British person would have to tell me if Alexis Denisof's accent during Buffy and Angel was well done, but I always thought it was, and it sounds to me like the American accent is weird and strained. I didn't even know that Jamie was English until watching this. I thought he sounded fine, but it is just so strange, because his American accent was perfect on BSG. (Which is why I thought he WAS American.) It is hard to describe, but he doesn't look British. I read that one of his parents was American, which might explain that. Americans just have a different look. (It can best be described as more rugged.)

Lady_Lancaster

[151]Oct 2, 2009
    Madelynn1984 wrote:

I liked this episode better than the whole first season. I loved Amy Acker, especially her scene with Topher. (Don't actually know that actors name. . .) Topher was great in this episode too. I don't think he is related to Amy, nor do I think he knew her before the dollhouse. I just think he formed an attachment to her and wanted to keep her around after her face was cut. It would be cool if he did know her before, but that whole "neither of us really knows the other" part led me to believe he had never gotten to know the real her. I agree with everyone who said this episode was more Whedonesque than the first season.

Accents. Since I know Alexis Denisof from Buffy/Angel, and Jamie Bamber from BSG, it was weird to hear both of their accents. They both sounded kinda fake to me. (Ridiculous, I know, since these were their real accents.) A British person would have to tell me if Alexis Denisof's accent during Buffy and Angel was well done, but I always thought it was, and it sounds to me like the American accent is weird and strained. I didn't even know that Jamie was English until watching this. I thought he sounded fine, but it is just so strange, because his American accent was perfect on BSG. (Which is why I thought he WAS American.) It is hard to describe, but he doesn't look British. I read that one of his parents was American, which might explain that. Americans just have a different look. (It can best be described as more rugged.)

Alexis Denisof's British accent was superbly done in Buffy and Angel. He spent something like 13 years living in Britain. It sounds odd for me to hear him speak with his American accent after listening to him as Wesley for so long. Yep, Jamie Bamber is British.

spikemaniac

[152]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 50
    Alexis Denisof's British accent is very good. I didn't find out he was American until I heard him in the Buffy season 7 DVD Easter Egg. But I don't find his American accent that weird on Dollhouse. Maybe because I've already heard it a few times on How I Met Your Mother, when he delivered the great pickup line, "We should have sex."

spikemaniac

[153]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 50
    I'm just rewatching this episode, and I know I said before that it's looking like Dr. Saunders and Topher are probably related, but this scene where Claire sneaks up behind Topher and is all grabby and physical, I can totally see it happening... they have tremendous chemistry in my opinion, and part of me really wants them to not be related to they can get together. Something about my two favourite characters getting together just makes me feel all warm inside.

fatfreeoreos

[154]Oct 2, 2009
    But I feel like there's just way too much tension for it to ever get romantic. They may have hate sex though.

TwistedConverse

[155]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 23
    The Topher/Claire relationship is weird. I have no idea what they are to each other. I like it though.

And I definitely get what you mean about your 2 fave characters getting together Isa. It would give me a happy to see Adelle and Echo have lots of sex together .

And also I like Beer Bad. I think it's really funny *hides*

fatfreeoreos

[156]Oct 2, 2009
    Well that's a convo for the Buffy boards as someone said earlier. I honestly don't know what I'd want to see. But I know that no matter what, I hope that Joss will give me a satisfactory plot.

Brakiri

[157]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 7
    Everybody being so convinced about Amy (including me), and now she's gone and will only show up as a guest on two more episodes this season, that's pretty poor. Joss should have taken care that he had her as a series regular. As much as I want Dollhouse to succeed, I just don't see it coming for three more seasons. I am gonna keep watching it for sure, but that does not help the shrinking ratings, and as these are most likely not going to evolve from this season's premiere, I just wish, Joss will move on to a more exciting project, preferably with Eliza & Amy included, once this show gets axed (which I still hope is not going to happen).

My opinion on this episode: Not all too bad, but not really exciting, and definitely not worth a season's premiere. It was nice seeing Jamie again, but the script was weak, and the story just not tempting to give him some remaining impact. The scene with Eliza getting caught by Jamie when trying to open the desk-drawer showed some pretty horrific scripting & acting. The same goes for that ridiculous scene when Tahmoh beats a former imprint back into Eliza with his fists (some beating against the head, and then not only memories from a former imprint come back, but also the necessary fighting skills? Pretty far fetched, but hopefully someone from the writer stuff has thought that through).

___Mr_Nasty___

[158]Oct 2, 2009
    Brakiri wrote:
    My opinion on this episode: Not all too bad, but not really exciting, and definitely not worth a season's premiere. It was nice seeing Jamie again, but the script was weak, and the story just not tempting to give him some remaining impact. The scene with Eliza getting caught by Jamie when trying to open the desk-drawer showed some pretty horrific scripting & acting. The same goes for that ridiculous scene when Tahmoh beats a former imprint back into Eliza with his fists (some beating against the head, and then not only memories from a former imprint come back, but also the necessary fighting skills? Pretty far fetched, but hopefully someone from the writer stuff has thought that through).

Wow, that's such a great post. I agree with everything you said right up until the word "but".

fatfreeoreos

[159]Oct 2, 2009
    Her brain is already damaged from Alpha dumping all those personalities in it, is it really so impossible that physical force could make her remember some past imprints? And the fight skills come with the imprint, she's not just remembering it, she's slipping into the full imprint. It was a safe one for him to access because it was a fighter but also knew who he was.

___Mr_Nasty___

[160]Oct 2, 2009
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Her brain is already damaged from Alpha dumping all those personalities in it, is it really so impossible that physical force could make her remember some past imprints? And the fight skills come with the imprint, she's not just remembering it, she's slipping into the full imprint. It was a safe one for him to access because it was a fighter but also knew who he was.

Yeah, he was trying to recreate the memory she had of them fighting in the Chinese restaurant, thereby allowing her to slip back into that imprint.

I actually liked how Ballard saw this opportunity when she was glitching when most of the rest of the Dollhouse staff seem utterly baffled as to what to do when something goes wrong.