Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Official Spoilers/Media Thread

NJZ

[61]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 29

Re: Alan Tudyk

I think we may have all just spoiled ourselves MAJORLY regarding his role on Dollhouse. My brother read on Ausellio that apparently Joss Whedon has said that Alpha will be introduced in the series, but that the audience isn't meant to know he's Alpha until later on. But now that we know Tudyk is playing him, it kinda ruins the surprise.

Anyway, I found something quite interesting online. It doesn't have any spoilers or anything in it but basically its a 'what characters from Whedon's previous shows do the Dollhouse characters remind you of?' sort of thing. I didn't necessarily agree with all of them but it was a fun read.

Read HERE

The only thing that annoyed me was how the writer stated Adelle has a "British accent". There's no such thing as a British accent people!!! Agh, that annoys me SO much how ignorant these people are. More often than not, its the Americans that say something like that, which annoys me even further given that there really shouldn't be a such thing as "US English". No offense to the Americans on this site; this isn't a personal attack at any of you, its just that certain Americans piss me off.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amaryllis88

[62]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 20
    NJZ wrote:
    But now that we know Tudyk is playing him, it kinda ruins the surprise.

I'm going to remain optimistic on this and say something good about knowing it's Tudyk that's going to play Alpha. Some of us know the kind of characters he has played in the past, and that sort of gave him this type that we're used to seeing.....so, maybe Joss is going to introduce us to a whole other side of Alan that we haven't been exposed to yet. So..here comes a different version of Alan than what we're used to seeing. If he bulks up, dyes his hair, maybe I can envision him as Alpha.

NJZ wrote:
    Anyway, I found something quite interesting online.

There's tons of interesting things online, I'm glad you found one! It's a great read, you're right, interesting is a definite word for it. So basically we have a conglomeration of Whedon characters grouped together in just one show! Nice to have a big family like that.

NJZ wrote:
    No offense to the Americans on this site; this isn't a personal attack at any of you, its just that certain Americans piss me off.

None taken.

michael_LB92

[63]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 24
    NJZ wrote:
    The only thing that annoyed me was how the writer stated Adelle has a "British accent". There's no such thing as a British accent people!!!

What would you say her accent is then? (Out of curiosity)

I hate how Australian accents are portrayed in American/foreign movies. There are Australians that speak like that, but they're bogans.
    NJZ wrote:
    ... there really shouldn't be a such thing as "US English".

I get annoyed by that as well. I mean, it's spelt colours and cancelled and realised and Mum and haemorrhaging. What is the world coming to!?

AuntArlene

[64]Mar 1, 2009
    NJZ wrote:

The only thing that annoyed me was how the writer stated Adelle has a "British accent". There's no such thing as a British accent people!!! Agh, that annoys me SO much how ignorant these people are. More often than not, its the Americans that say something like that, which annoys me even further given that there really shouldn't be a such thing as "US English". No offense to the Americans on this site; this isn't a personal attack at any of you, its just that certain Americans piss me off.

Just out of curiosity, what would you have him say? Some of us can identify a "British" accent by it's specific location, but a vast majority of us cannot. A general Scottish or Irish accent is somewhat identifiable, but to identify accents by a specific location is difficult if you don't live there or study linguistics.

It's difficult enough for us to identify an "American" accent by it's specific area of origin and we freaking live here. A "Southern" accent is a very common phrase to describe a large variety of accents even though there is a difference between a Texas twang and an Georgian drawl. Heck, you get South of Kankakee, Illinois and you start hearing a slight twang in people's voices.

No one is trying to offend. It's just a matter of expediency for your dumb American cousins.

NJZ

[65]Mar 1, 2009
    AuntArlene wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what would you have him say? Some of us can identify a "British" accent by it's specific location, but a vast majority of us cannot. A general Scottish or Irish accent is somewhat identifiable, but to identify accents by a specific location is difficult if you don't live there or study linguistics.

michael_LB92 wrote:
    What would you say her accent is then? (Out of curiosity)

Her accent is "English", thats how I'd label it. Ofcourse, you could be even more specific and go into what type of English accent or dialect it is but I don't expect anyone to know that (I'm from England, and even I'd have trouble with pinpointing accents to certain locations) BUT saying its a "British" accent is just too broad. I mean, thats 4 different general accents you could have (English, Scottish, Welsh & Irish) and it seems a little silly to just bunch it all into one category.

AuntArlene, I get what you're saying about it being difficult to identify accents of an area if you don't live there but the differences in English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents are EASILY identifiable because they vary so much (although Welsh accents aren't as distinguishable as the other 3). And thats what annoys me; that people just prefer to lump us all into one category when its not that difficult to use the correct term. Coz, like I said, there is no such thing as a "British accent"

michael_LB92 wrote:
    I hate how Australian accents are portrayed in American/foreign movies. There are Australians that speak like that, but they're bogans.

lol, I hate that too. Not just with Australian accents but English ones too. For some reason, film-makers assume that all British people speak as if they're rich toffs that live in upper-class London. I guess thats with everything though; English film-makers probably do the same for other accents, and I'm guessing Australian film-makers might do the same also.

AuntArlene wrote:
    No one is trying to offend. It's just a matter of expediency for your dumb American cousins.

Well, the way that comes off, it seems as if you were offended by my comments. Again, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean offense to anyone, American or otherwise. Its just that if you were British like I am, you'd also get quite ticked off with the amount of times we're portrayed completely wrong in the media. And, from what I've experienced, its usually the American media. [I also don't think you guys are "dumb" or anything. I think its stupid to judge an entire bunch of people by a few select individuals, which is why I'd never generalise it like that]

NJZ

[66]Mar 1, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    NJZ wrote:
    Anyway, I found something quite interesting online.

There's tons of interesting things online, I'm glad you found one!

lol that made me laugh more than it should have.

amaryllis88

[67]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 20
    NJZ wrote:
    lol that made me laugh more than it should have.

It brings me great joy that you found something I said as amusing.

NJZ wrote:
    Its just that if you were British like I am, you'd also get quite ticked off with the amount of times we're portrayed completely wrong in the media.

I know exactly what you mean...it's unfortunate the way some cultures and/or accents are portrayed in the media, and of course people love to focus on the negative aspects of things, and forget to acknowledge the positive.

So, to sort of get on topic again, Alan Tudyk really is going to play Alpha? I can see how they could keep it a hush hush topic, don't want to release all the goodies in the beginning...

michael_LB92

[68]Mar 1, 2009
    Sorry to go back to the accents, but has anyone heard Dichen (Sierra) speak that much? I'm interested to see how she pulls off an American accent.

NJZ

[69]Mar 2, 2009
    Well, she had quite a few lines in "Stage Fright" but I didn't really pay attention to what accent she was putting on.

CaptainHarkness

[70]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 23
    Nor did I. I thought they said she was supposed to be Australian.

NJZ

[71]Mar 2, 2009

I dunno if I should post this or not, or if its been posted before, but technically its Dollhouse-related media so...

Eliza Dushku on the cover of Maxim (March 2009 Issue):

PICTURE

ARTICLE (JustJared)

And more pictures HERE

Edited on 03/02/2009 11:33am

michael_LB92

[72]Mar 2, 2009
    She was playing an Australian, but she is Australian. I haven't heard her speak much outside of that role, so I'm just wondering how she sounds. I remember when Bionic Woman started the actress sounded a little strange in the first episode, but generally got the hang of it after that.

TesserT

[73]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 74
    Dollhouse premiere is 28th in total DVR viewing, 8th in % viewing on DVR : Latest from Robert Seidman at tvbythenumbers.

"Everyone wants to know how the Dollhouse premiere did on DVR and to a lesser extent people want to know how Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles did on its first Friday.

Dollhouse was 28th for the week in terms of total DVR viewing with 1.595 million DVR viewers, but keep in mind, even during a week that still had lots of reruns, 46 shows on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and the CW had more than a million viewers watching shows on their DVRs.

Dollhouse ranked 9th in terms of percentage of viewers watching on DVR, with 27.5% of its overall viewership happening via DVR, but it ranked behind Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which was 3rd by that metric with almost a full third of its viewing coming from DVR viewing. Despite this, Dollhouse still had over a million more Live+7 viewers than TSCC did."

Check out the rest of the article at the above link.

NJZ

[74]Mar 3, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I remember when Bionic Woman started the actress sounded a little strange in the first episode, but generally got the hang of it after that.

Michelle Ryan? I don't think she got the hang of it at all. The accent was just bad. The only time her voice sounded natural was when she had to play an English person for one of the missions and Michelle was allowed to use her normal voice.

michael_LB92

[75]Mar 4, 2009
    NJZ wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I remember when Bionic Woman started the actress sounded a little strange in the first episode, but generally got the hang of it after that.

Michelle Ryan? I don't think she got the hang of it at all. The accent was just bad. The only time her voice sounded natural was when she had to play an English person for one of the missions and Michelle was allowed to use her normal voice.

I thought it sounded a little too American, but was otherwise fine. I didn't really pay too much attention to it though.

NJZ

[76]Mar 6, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    NJZ wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:

I thought it sounded a little too American, but was otherwise fine. I didn't really pay too much attention to it though.

And maybe that was the problem? That she was trying too hard? I didn't pay much attention to the accent either. I just thought it sounded quite bad. I don't think I paid much attention to the show either; it was worse than her accent.

TesserT

[77]Mar 7, 2009
    Episode 1.07 - Echoes - Press Release (airs Mar 27)

A deadly virus outbreak on a college campus sends Echo back to school where pieces of her past come into focus.

Guest Cast: Reed Diamond as Laurence Dominic; Miracle Laurie as Mellie; Brett Claywell as Matt; Philip Casnoff as Clive Ambrose; Mechad Brooks as Sam; Josh Cooke as Leo Carpenter; Octavia Spencer as Professor Janack

Igarka

[78]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    What will they do with Matts character I wonder. This will be good I think.

TesserT

[79]Mar 10, 2009
    Joss Whedon Interview

TesserT

[80]Mar 16, 2009
    Episode 1x06 Man on the Street Promo (airs Mar 20)