FOX (ended 2010)

Official Spoilers/Media Thread

Lady_Lancaster

[181]Aug 13, 2009
    • level: 41
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    I read something in a magazine yesterday about Dollhouse only being given a limited number of episodes to "prove itself" in the ratings, otherwise, it will be axed due to its low first season ratings. This is a pretty frequent occurrence with shows which don't rate well. NOT that I want it to happen, but how many episodes and ratings would they normally take into account before they axe something? It's usually 4 or 5 in this part of the world.

That's incorrect, I think. I read an interview with Kevin Reilly (boss guy at Fox) and he said the show only has to maintain it's S1 ratings to stay on air.

I read the same thing. FOX has agreed to let Joss do whatever he wants with the show as long as he maintains the same audience as season one. So far, the show has a definite 13 episode order, although FOX has been known to cut down orders due to feeling-like-cancelling.

Yes, that's what I meant, Michael, Fox tend to just axe things even after they have given them the green light and if the ratings don't hold up, I was concerned that DH might be a goner. Plus, Fox, like everyone else is having major financial troubles and are making cuts in a lot of areas. I hope DH holds up though!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[182]Aug 13, 2009
    • level: 23
    Dollhouse is on an incredible low budget though, so it's not costing them much.

Overall I'm not overly worried about the show at the moment. I actually think Fox like it and are keen not to annoy Whedon fans after cancelling Firefly.

Lady_Lancaster

[183]Aug 13, 2009
    TwistedConverse wrote:

Overall I'm not overly worried about the show at the moment. I actually think Fox like it and are keen not to annoy Whedon fans after cancelling Firefly.

That's a good point because the cancelling of Firefly was very abrupt. The fact that Dollhouse is low budget is certainly in its favour.

I asked you if you'd seen Olivia Williams in Peter Pan? She was cool! *grin*

michael_LB92

[184]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 24
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:

That's a good point because the cancelling of Firefly was very abrupt. The fact that Dollhouse is low budget is certainly in its favour.

Yeah, apparently Dollhouse has a lower budget than some cable television programs. That must be like less than $2 million an episode or something.

I doubt (knock on wood) Fox will cancel it before the 13 episodes unless the ratings are truly terrible. Not like they're scared of Whedon fans, but they realise how cult-y Whedon fans are, and probably don't want to lose too much popularity.

Besides they could just get 20th Century to produce all 13, only air 7, then make a killing in season 2 DVDs with 6 unaired episodes.

Lady_Lancaster

[185]Aug 14, 2009
    [QUOTE[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, apparently Dollhouse has a lower budget than some cable television programs. That must be like less than $2 million an episode or something.

I doubt (knock on wood) Fox will cancel it before the 13 episodes unless the ratings are truly terrible. Not like they're scared of Whedon fans, but they realise how cult-y Whedon fans are, and probably don't want to lose too much popularity.

Besides they could just get 20th Century to produce all 13, only air 7, then make a killing in season 2 DVDs with 6 unaired episodes. [/QUOTE]

That wouldn't surprise me either. Anything to make money.

thetruesora

[186]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 22
    I just read that Joss Whedon has said: NEXT SEASON WE WILL SEE THE ATTIC!!!!

michael_LB92

[187]Aug 19, 2009
    Won't it just be like a bunch o' mentally-stuffed-up people?

ionee24

[188]Aug 23, 2009
    • level: 32
    TwistedConverse wrote:

The biggest mistake when they cancelled Firefly is that not only you could see the different storylines for seasons to come that were barely hinted during the first 13 episodes, you could also see the same structure more intelligent networks used for hits such as Lost, Heroes or Battlestar Galactica but instead to be the first FOX completely lost its chance.

Now, Dollhouse is more procedural than serialized but still is not your average CSI show so, if they play their cards right, Fox may actually have a chance this time around.

TesserT

[189]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 75
    TVGuide Sept 14-20, 2009 pg 55 : long article you should ck out

"Let's agree to call Dollhouse's 1st season a dress rehearsal with an audience...Joss Whedon says "It's in a very different place now. We know what we want to do and how we want to accomplish it." Says Eliza Dushku, "It's the same heart & guts, but it's a different game this season." "A lot of people were disappointed that Echo was a bit of a blank slate," acknowledges Whedon. So this season, the formerly childlike cipher "is evolving and starting to remember who she is." Dushku says. She'll turn from victim to a hero. She not only wants to find out who Caroline is, but who the dolls are, and how she can help them.

Echo will have her problems. She'll feel the effects of her sadistic torture from the Season 1 finale in which she was imprinted with multiple personalities, some homicidal. She'll find herself turning into those characters at inoportune moments.

What's Paul Ballard up to? he agreed to accept a job offer from Adelle... "he's using the dolls - particularly Echo - to try to solve cases he wasn't able to when he was in the FBI." It's also a dandy way to stay close to Echo. "There's a lot of chemistry between them." As Echo's handler, he'll become jealous of clients who become especially attached to her. In the season opener, Jamie Bamber guest stars as one such client. a criminal Ballard failed to bust in his FBI days, who now lusts after Echo so much, he marries her.

Keith Carradine comes in as Adelle's nemesis & a gaggle of Whedon veterans pay visits. Summer Glau (Terminator:SCC, Firefly) has landed a recurring role as a Dollhouse employee, Alexis Denisof (Angel) guest stars as a senator who has dirt on the Dollhouse, and Felicia Day (Buffy) reprises her role from Dollhouse's unaired apocalyptic episode - a freedom fighter in the future.

"The show went thru major growing pains ... but that's all over with. ... This season will be dark but in a very fun and twisted and sexy way."
    Edited on 09/11/2009 1:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

___Mr_Nasty___

[190]Sep 10, 2009
    Josh Whedon? Alexis Semisof?

Who researched this one?

michael_LB92

[191]Sep 11, 2009
    I was about to comment on that too.

TesserT

[192]Sep 11, 2009
    good grief - sorry for the typo's

thetruesora

[193]Sep 15, 2009

Ray Wise is going to play a higher up in the dollhouse

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/09/dollhouse-casting-news.html

Lady_Lancaster

[194]Sep 15, 2009
    thetruesora wrote:

Ray Wise is an excellent actor so that should be good. I look forward to seeing him.

thetruesora

[195]Sep 16, 2009
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    thetruesora wrote:

Ray Wise is an excellent actor so that should be good. I look forward to seeing him.

of coursehe's excellent, he's THE DEVIL!!!!!

TesserT

[196]Sep 17, 2009
    Ausiello Files

What can you tell us about Summer Glau's character Bennett on Dollhouse? She's not some lowly Dollhouse employee - she's a chief programmer like Topher!

How about some new Dollhouse scoop?I'm going to let Tahmoh Penikett take this one. "At the end [of the premiere], there is a very important conversation between Echo and Paul where she lets me know that she's functioning with all these personalities in her mind at once and that she knows what is going on. It changes the playing field if the main doll has awareness of her situation. I like that it isn't all damsel in distress, and Paul is starting to realize that."

alias571

[197]Sep 17, 2009
    • level: 18
    TesserT wrote:
    Ausiello Files
    What can you tell us about Summer Glau's character Bennett on Dollhouse? She's not some lowly Dollhouse employee - she's a chief programmer like Topher!
    How about some new Dollhouse scoop?I'm going to let Tahmoh Penikett take this one. "At the end [of the premiere], there is a very important conversation between Echo and Paul where she lets me know that she's functioning with all these personalities in her mind at once and that she knows what is going on. It changes the playing field if the main doll has awareness of her situation. I like that it isn't all damsel in distress, and Paul is starting to realize that."
    That last line was all I needed.

Vesper-Lynd

[198]Sep 17, 2009
    On the second episode of season 2, Echo will be imprinted as a mom and Sierra as her friend.

-> http://www.daemonstv.com/2009/09/16/eliza-dushku-is-a-mom-on-dollhouse-season-2-photos/

thetruesora

[199]Sep 17, 2009
    i'm looking forward to seeing Summer Glau as a programmer. The scene at the end of the premiere Tahmoh mentioned, could that be like the one we see in Epitaph One where she's programmed to speak japanese? (I think it was japanese?)
    Edited on 09/17/2009 6:57pm

Vesper-Lynd

[200]Sep 18, 2009
    It was Russian ("Little Russian girl with big dreams", infiltrate the Russian mob, etc.) And I feel like that scene's meant to be farther down the line of their "partnership," which could concievably start in during that conversation.