Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Ratings Discussion :)

SeerMagicX

[21]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 16

well we all knew friday was a bad day, and ratings almost always go down after the premiere, however Friday was a valentine's weekend.

personally I wish Joss would do a show on the scifi channel or premium cable.

Edited on 02/14/2009 6:55pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[22]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 23
    It got beaten by Supernanny? People would rather watch that annoying woman doing the same thing she does EVERY episode and going on about the naughty step?

I loathe that show.

luvnumbah6

[23]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 6
    i guess that's pretty good for a friday night on fox, I mean if it was on Sci-fi or another cable network it would be huge. With that said it is on fox which is notorious for giving up on shows pretty easily... joss should know that. And though it was a lackluster premere it could get worse next week because shows ratings tend to dip on its second week, but i'm hoping it gets a chance... the show has an interesting plot and was pretty damn entertaining so I guess we'll see in the coming weeks the fate of dollhouse.

Friendsfan121

[24]Feb 14, 2009

Look, it was the premiere. And everywhere I go, I see ads for Dollhouse. If you turn on iTunes, it's on the front page. You go to Hulu, it's available to watch, on the front page. If the ratings weren't so hot the first night, that's ok. There's always that possibility it will fail, but there's a possibility like that for every show. I think that this show has a great concept and has potential. And I'm a teenage girl willing to watch it Friday nights. So the Friday night may be an inconvienience, but it isn't a roadblock.

Hopefully the ratings will progress over time. Let's all be optimistic and hope for the best.

l1DarKMaTTeR1l

[25]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 4
    Since a large portion of the audience of a show like Dollhouse is tech savvy I wonder if Fox will look at the number of views outside of tv on things like Hulu. I was one of the people who watched it on Hulu because I am not going to watch it on Friday nights (plus I have gotten used to the commercial free on demand comfort of Hulu)

Hope it doesn't get cancelled there are so few original shows on TV

michael_LB92

[26]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 24
    gotahaloroundme wrote:
    [...] but that's still the number as per Nielson (which, for the record, are the only ratings that matter).

That's not true, is it? I thought DVR's and TiVO's counted or something. Not to mention internet downloads of the show. Plus, the show will probably be popular in DVDs and merchandise sales (like every other JW-produced thing).

Nielson ratings are hardly the only factor to take into consideration.

Blixke

[27]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 4
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    Yeah, on other stations 4.7 million would be a huge hit. But Eliza has that stupid contract with FOX.

What contract?

michael_LB92

[28]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 24
    Blixke wrote:
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    Yeah, on other stations 4.7 million would be a huge hit. But Eliza has that stupid contract with FOX.

What contract?

I might be wrong, but I think she signed a contract with FOX when she signed on for Tru Calling. I don't know when it ends, but (I think) it means she can't guest star/star on any other network without the permission/negotiation of Fox.

So if Joss wanted Eliza to star in Dollhouse, he'd either HAVE to do it on Fox, or Eliza would somehow have to get out of her contract, or another network would probably have to pay Fox ALOT to let Eliza be the LEAD star in one of their shows.

SeerMagicX

[29]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 16

michael_LB92 wrote:
    Blixke wrote:
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    What contract?
    I might be wrong, but I think she signed a contract with FOX when she signed on for Tru Calling. I don't know when it ends, but (I think) it means she can't guest star/star on any other network without the permission/negotiation of Fox. So if Joss wanted Eliza to star in Dollhouse, he'd either HAVE to do it on Fox, or Eliza would somehow have to get out of her contract, or another network would probably have to pay Fox ALOT to let Eliza be the LEAD star in one of their shows.

i believe it was after tru calling, they signed her so they could find a show to put her on.

TwistedConverse

[30]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 23
    That sucks about the contract thing. Does anyone know how long she's contracted to them for? Hopefully it's not too long and then if they do cancel Dollhouse, another network might pick it up (e.g. WB cancelling Buffy and then UPN picking it up for the last 2 seasons).

Also, does anyone know what Fox's biggest show is in terms of ratings? I don't in America so I don't know much about it.

kikimarie593

[31]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 27

TwistedConverse wrote:
    Also, does anyone know what Fox's biggest show is in terms of ratings? I don't in America so I don't know much about it.

I don't know for sure, but I think it would probably be American Idol. AI is one of the most popular shows in the country and gets millions and millions of views each week.

Edited on 02/15/2009 8:27am

taper6

[32]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 7
    I just happened to catch the pilot of Dollhouse, didn't know it was coming. Also I'd have ignored it because of the title if I just happened to see it listed in my newspaper's tv section, as the name sounds like some chick flick or something. Coming right after Sarah Conner on Friday night, the difference is very stark. Plot premise is flawed. I find it MUCH easier to 'believe' in Terminators that to believe in people being reprogrammed in the present day and age. 1000 years in the future, maybe. MUCH easier to 'believe' in Buffy's vampires for an hour than this stuff. However, the girls are pretty and I found the pilot entertaining. I'm hoping that, IF it doesn't get worse, maybe I can get myself hooked.

slim324k

[33]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    I think it did well opening on a Friday against a show like Monk and also following the Sarah Connor Chronicles. It should improve vastly I would think, remember all the other Whedon series had slow starts and all of those had long lives...minus Firefly of course (but all those actors went on to bigger fish)!

Friendsfan121

[34]Feb 15, 2009
    About the contract-
    I believe I read somewhere that Eliza signed with Fox so that they would make a tv show tailor-made for her after Tru Calling. So Dollhouse is a production of Joss's mutant enemy productions and her Boston Diva something or other.

SVU_Obsessed

[35]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 22
    Yeah, Eliza called it a 'Development deal' with FOX where they would pitch her shows and try to find a place for her. I believe she signed it after Tru Calling because Eliza said she immediately called Joss to have the famous lunch with him after she made the deal with FOX.

AnilThornberry

[36]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 19
    Ok even though the ratings are bad let's look around the internet people. Dollhouse is one of the most talked shows these days:

-On itunes it JUST got ranked #5 most downloaded show. Went up from being #19.
    -Here on Tv.com, it's one of the most clicked tv shows. Right now it's number 2 on top 10.

Fox cannot let it go that easily. We should calm down a little bit for now.

SVU_Obsessed

[37]Feb 15, 2009
    It's actually been ranked number 5 for awhile now, I mentioned it in another thread. I also mentioned the popularity it has garnered on Hulu.com and it's #7 on amazon.com. But I didn't know about the popularity of it on tv.com. This is all actually starting to lift my hopes us a little more.

SVU_Obsessed

[38]Feb 15, 2009
    Ok I just double-checked the Itunes homepage and the Dollhouse pilot is ranked number 2! Number 2, I say, number 2!!!

Friendsfan121

[39]Feb 15, 2009
    I just saw that as well. That makes me very happy.

Dollhouse also has an average rating of 4 stars, which is good. A lot of the time, for me at least, if I see a show like this that is showing up all over the place, I'll watch it, even if I don't know very much about it. I hope that's the same from some none Whedon-regulars.

SVU_Obsessed

[40]Feb 15, 2009
    You can rate on Itunes? I'm looking at the Dollhouse page on it and I can see a way to rate it.