Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Season 2 or Not, Fox Better Let Dollhouse "Conclude"

toxic_boy21

[1]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 13

I know it's not very certain if there'll be a Season 2 or not, but I really feel like FOX needs to make it clear to Joss what's going to happen to the show. Because UNLIKE Tru Calling or Buffy or any other show in this genre, Dollhouse just can't "end" at any moment in a storyline because there's so much more with these characters (the Actives) that we need see wrapped up. However, that hasn't stopped Fox in the past (like when cancelling REUNION, leaving all of the characters' stories in limbo and the entire series' mystery unsolved).

If Fox pulls something like that on Dollhouse, I swear, I am boycotting the entire channel.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Frenz9

[2]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 10
    Completely agree, i do not really have a problem with shows being canceled as long as when they are, they are given a good chance and a conclusion.

But Dollhouse is a great show, and i believe it will get seasons beyond season1

DieftheChief4

[3]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 6
    The main problem is Fridays, any other day of the week (excluding Idol hours) there'd be no way another season wouldn't happen.

Kadodian

[4]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 23
    DieftheChief4 wrote:
    The main problem is Fridays, any other day of the week (excluding Idol hours) there'd be no way another season wouldn't happen.

What Joss was trying to do was build an audience for Dollhouse instead of putting on any day and getting cancelled quickly so Dollhouse was put on Fridays. I think the show should resolve itself in a smart way if it gets cancelled although I hope it dosen't

Kadodian

[5]Mar 31, 2009
    DieftheChief4 wrote:

What Joss was trying to do was build an audience for Dollhouse instead of putting on any day and getting cancelled quickly so Dollhouse was put on Fridays. I think the show should resolve itself in a smart way if it gets cancelled although I hope it dosen't

TwistedConverse

[6]Mar 31, 2009
    I agree. I hope the show, whenever it ends, has a proper ending.

birdie72

[7]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 2
    That burned me up when they cancelled Reunion! I loved that show... I love Tru Calling too... They usually cancel the show I love...

toxic_boy21

[8]Mar 31, 2009
    birdie72 wrote:
    That burned me up when they cancelled Reunion! I loved that show... I love Tru Calling too... They usually cancel the show I love...

Yep, it's true. They have a TERRIBLE track record with amazing serial dramas - Reunion, Point Pleasant, Tru Calling, and the list goes on..

I just hope Joss is allowed some time to do an alternate ending to 1.13 IF Fox decides not to renew.

SeerMagicX

[9]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 16
    didn't they finish filming this month? So it's already done, so therefor the show won't have an ending.

kikimarie593

[10]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 27

SeerMagicX wrote:
    didn't they finish filming this month? So it's already done, so therefor the show won't have an ending.

Not neccessarily. When Joss wrote Buffy he actually wrote the 1st season finale to be a series finale in case it got cancelled. So he might have done the same with Dollhouse.

AnilThornberry

[11]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 19
    Well if 3-4 millions(5 with DVR) for a friday night isn't enough for those greedy bastards, than I don't know what to say. But I am used to my shows getting canceled. Still can't get over Pushing Daisies... I hate TV Networks.

toxic_boy21

[12]Apr 1, 2009
    kikimarie593 wrote:

SeerMagicX wrote:

Not neccessarily. When Joss wrote Buffy he actually wrote the 1st season finale to be a series finale in case it got cancelled. So he might have done the same with Dollhouse.

I don't know why, but I get a kick out of this. To think- Joss ACTUALLY worrying that Buffy would get canceled after 13 episodes when it became a 7-year-long phenomenon. Wow.

TheAnswerMVP

[13]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 2
    I agree. If FOX is going to cancel it, at least wrap the show up. Turning it into a mini series of sorts is better than leaving it open ended. FOX is notorious for cancelling anything that's not American Idol or The Simpsons. I don't think Dollhouse is a great show, but I have definitely begun it get sucked into watching it. If FOX blows it over without allowing a proper conclusion I'll never watch the station again, and that won't be too hard since they don't have anything else worth watching.

MyManD

[14]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 5
    AnilThornberry wrote:
    Well if 3-4 millions(5 with DVR) for a friday night isn't enough for those greedy bastards, than I don't know what to say. But I am used to my shows getting canceled. Still can't get over Pushing Daisies... I hate TV Networks.

This is absolutely the wrong mindset. The fact that the networks pump millions into bringing the shows to life in the first place is astonishing.

What you SHOULD hate are other TV viewers just like yourself who choose not to watch the shows. Networks are businesses, not a charity.

marto_dd

[15]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 17
    at
    toxic_boy21 wrote:
    kikimarie593 wrote:

SeerMagicX wrote:

I don't know why, but I get a kick out of this. To think- Joss ACTUALLY worrying that Buffy would get canceled after 13 episodes when it became a 7-year-long phenomenon. Wow.

Yeah, that is right.

I watched an interview when Joss said that every finale of Buffy (except for the one of season six) is supposed to look like a series finale. He wanted to tell a complete story every year, that's why he never left any cliffhangers in Buffy, except for the finale of season six when Spike got his soul back.

It wasn't really like that in Angel, so I hope Joss will do the buffy thing again.

michael_LB92

[16]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 24
    MyManD wrote:
    AnilThornberry wrote:

This is absolutely the wrong mindset. The fact that the networks pump millions into bringing the shows to life in the first place is astonishing.

What you SHOULD hate are other TV viewers just like yourself who choose not to watch the shows. Networks are businesses, not a charity.

I'd bet my money that the Nielson viewers are secretly monkeys. Or just really smart labradores.

spikemaniac

[17]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 50
    toxic_boy21 wrote:

I know it's not very certain if there'll be a Season 2 or not, but I really feel like FOX needs to make it clear to Joss what's going to happen to the show. Because UNLIKE Tru Calling or Buffy or any other show in this genre, Dollhouse just can't "end" at any moment in a storyline because there's so much more with these characters (the Actives) that we need see wrapped up. However, that hasn't stopped Fox in the past (like when cancelling REUNION, leaving all of the characters' stories in limbo and the entire series' mystery unsolved).

If Fox pulls something like that on Dollhouse, I swear, I am boycotting the entire channel.

So you're saying Tru Calling had closure? There were no character arcs or plotlines or relationships left unsolved and unfinished? Wow, just me then.

Other than that, I completely agree with you.

michael_LB92

[18]Apr 5, 2009
    Also, what kind of ending would it have been if Buffy got cancelled after season two? Or gotten cut mid-season five? IMO, Buffy and Tru Calling (the latter half of it anyway) were just as open as Dollhouse was.

Rebel-Man

[19]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 16
    *Runs in*

Ghost Whisperer with a repeat pulled 7 million viewers this past Friday. Just thought I'd say we need to stop blaming Friday, let's blame somethign else

*runs out*

michael_LB92

[20]Apr 5, 2009
    I agree. Friday is known for low ratings, but we know shows can get high ratings. IMO, very little of this is FOX's fault. And the fact is that just sitting around being angry at FOX, saying how they're screwed everything up, won't do any good.

I'm sure Joss has given an ending for this season in case the show does get cancelled.