Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

So pigs CAN fly afterall

MyManD

[1]May 16, 2009
    • level: 5

Because those were the odds I had given to this show being renewed. Defying all business logic (the one about making money), Fox decides to give the show another go around. The show really grew on me and I'm glad it's getting a second chance but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logic behind this.

Or maybe I should just shut up and chalk this up to a minor TV miracle.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PiperPrueLover4

[2]May 16, 2009
    • level: 18
    It's become official? YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS HAPPY IN A LONG TIME

kikimarie593

[3]May 16, 2009
    • level: 27
    No idea why everyone is so surprised it was renewed. I've been saying all along that it would be. I was 100% sure. I just knew it would be, but you people had no hope!

___Mr_Nasty___

[4]May 16, 2009
    • level: 24
    You calling Eliza a pig, Mandy? Oh God, how rude! You take that back!

kikimarie593 wrote:
    No idea why everyone is so surprised it was renewed. I've been saying all along that it would be. I was 100% sure. I just knew it would be, but you people had no hope!

I had hope. Just never really told anyone, is all

kok_warlock

[5]May 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    ___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:
    You calling Eliza a pig, Mandy? Oh God, how rude! You take that back!

kikimarie593 wrote:

I had hope. Just never really told anyone, is all

Everybody has hope, but quoting a piece I read an hour ago, "Dollhouse might very well be the lowest-rated in-season scripted drama to ever get a renewal on a major broadcast network", and we are talking about the same Fox that f... Firefly, however this time around, this show has been heavily promoted, and they seem to wanna gamble a bit longer, probally considering it has Joss Whedon's name on it, so it's sure to sell a ton of DVDs.

:
    (...)The low-rated series was last seen given up for dead by the media in a field somewhere.

But the show's DVR numbers are huge (averaging a 40% bump from live-plus-same-day to live-plus-7), online streaming is strong. It's a sci-fi show, which tend to bring in strong ancillary revenue such as DVD sales for sister-company studio 20th TV. And it's said that Fox execs rather like the series, especially the latter half of the season. Besides, a show airing in the fall on Fox is a bit like running in midseason on most networks -- it's not the network's strongest part of the year and maybe ... maybe ...

All right, fine.

The move is tougher to explain than most, especially based on the show's ratings. A "Dollhouse" pickup is a shock, an underdog comeback that blows away NBC's will-they-or-won't-they hand-wringing over "Chuck" (psst, they almost certainly will). In fact, "Dollhouse" might very well be the lowest-rated in-season scripted drama to ever get a renewal on a major broadcast network. Almost certainly if based on where the show concluded -- about 2.8 million viewers and a 1.0 among adults 18-49.

Basically this is a case of a bunch of minor decision-making factors successfully ganging up on the biggest factor (ratings). In addition to DVD sales, streaming and DVR influences, Fox received some serious budget concessions from 20th TV and Whedon to continue the show, with 20th now shouldering a greater portion of the load.(...) Source: http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollhouse-second-season.html

Joss Whedon and creative financing saved Dollhouse.

spikemaniac

[6]May 17, 2009
    • level: 50
    kikimarie593 wrote:

Yeah I know, I was sure it was going to be renewed too.

thetruesora

[7]May 17, 2009
    • level: 22
    However Fox wants them to make episodes for less money I heard.

michael_LB92

[8]May 17, 2009
    Yeah, apparently each episode will have the budget of a cable series... or even less maybe. Plus, the show's DVD is on Amazon's best sellers already, and it's not out for another two months.

michael_LB92

[9]May 17, 2009
    ...which is probably why FOX didn't air the 13th episode, and included another Pilot. With extra unaired episodes, and an unaired Pilot, there's no way any true Dollhouse fan couldn't NOT buy the DVDs...

TwistedConverse

[10]May 17, 2009
    • level: 23
    I don't see how the show could have had a high budget anyway, with the exception of the expensive set. It's not as if there are loads of effects or anything.

thetruesora

[11]May 17, 2009
    • level: 22
    I believe they made the 13th episode (Epitaph One) SPECIFICALLY for the DVD as the people that made the DVD wanted 13 episodes since it works better to have 13 rather than 12 episodes for the DVD. Well that's basically what Joss Whedon said.

MyManD

[12]May 17, 2009
    • level: 5
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    I don't see how the show could have had a high budget anyway, with the exception of the expensive set. It's not as if there are loads of effects or anything.

It's not exactly a positive when an expensive show looks cheap, is it? When you think about it, each and every episode takes place in a different location, with a ton of extras, set designs, etc. Sure, there aren't any gee-whiz CGI effects, but the practical design of every new locale probably cost a bunch.

PiperPrueLover4

[13]May 17, 2009
    Yeah, Dollhouse has a more restrictive budget, but with this whole financial crisis thing, a lot of shows will be forced to save some money. I'm not too worried. Besides, this is Joss Whedon - he will know what to do. He'll probably cut his own salary to preserve the quality of the show or something.

michael_LB92

[14]May 18, 2009
    MyManD wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:

It's not exactly a positive when an expensive show looks cheap, is it? When you think about it, each and every episode takes place in a different location, with a ton of extras, set designs, etc. Sure, there aren't any gee-whiz CGI effects, but the practical design of every new locale probably cost a bunch.

Plus, the cast is pretty big. No one is really that well know, except Eliza and Tahmoh. But still. They'd all be at least $10-15K an episode, right?

I thought Lost would be a cheap show, because... well, it's filmed on a beach. Apparently the pilot was $12 million! I suppose with the flashbacks, massive cast, and weekly explosions/stunts, it costs more.

michael_LB92

[15]May 18, 2009
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Yeah, Dollhouse has a more restrictive budget, but with this whole financial crisis thing, a lot of shows will be forced to save some money. I'm not too worried. Besides, this is Joss Whedon - he will know what to do. He'll probably cut his own salary to preserve the quality of the show or something.

I reckon we won't even notice. Most of Buffy's graveyard was filmed next to WB's parking lot or something.

kanniballl

[16]May 18, 2009

I'm glad it's renewed. I felt the show picked up after the first few episodes, and while I don't think it's in the same class as Firefly or the some of the Buffy/Angel seasons, it's good.

That being said, if ratings were as poor as some people made them out to be then I'm surprised. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised none-the-less.

I think it's because Fox is afraid that they're just not "getting it" and are afraid of repeating the Firefly mistake. They thought Whedon's show was garbage, sabotaged it, and killed it. When the DVD numbers came in the Fox execs' jaws dropped, a bunch of them probably smacked themselves in the forehead for that one.

So they're probably thinking "OK, we've been down this road before... we mis-read the market and suffered for it. We'll give Whedon a bigger chance."

Whedon has a following, they are probably just waiting for it to reflect in the numbers.

Edited on 05/19/2009 5:45am

kayleecat

[17]May 18, 2009
    • level: 9
    I'm just soo happy that Dollhouse didn't became a second Firefly debacle. I'm truly excited and can't wait to see the new episodes.

BAGTbird

[18]May 25, 2009
    • level: 10

The pigs have just one wing and can only fly in a circle, though. Hopefully the cutbacks won't be so massive as to break the show.

If Terminator had been renewed as well, the pigs would have both wings and be doing barell rolls. The devil would probably be putting on a parka, too.

Alas, it was not to be. They say two out of three ain't bad, but one out of two hurts.

SubJunk2006

[19]May 26, 2009
    • level: 7
    Great, I'm happy about that. The first 5ish episodes are like a whole other show, they are average at best, then they really turned it around and now I love it! Just had to hang in there. I hope they give it a big change in marketing or something and continue the good episodes into season 2, then hopefully they can pick up some new fans who gave up before the show got good in season 1

Steel_Spider

[20]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 10
    The budget cut worries me slightly but I'm sure they'll make it work. Regardless, I'm just glad the show got renewed.