Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

The Dollhouse Official Off-Topic Thread

SVU_Obsessed

[21]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 22

michael_LB92 wrote:
    No idea, sorry. Can anyone tell me what 9/8c would mean or something similar? Because, whenever I watch promos on YouTube for something, it might say something like that, but I have no idea what it means. In Australia, we just say the actual time. Like "8.30"

I'll see if I can explain it. The United States has different time zones which means that there are different times. There is central time, eastern/pacific, and I think another one but Im not sure. The different time zones mean that while it could be 9:00 in New York or somewhere on the east, it's actually 8 in the central timezone. For example I live in Arkansas which is in the central time zone so the east side is an hour ahead. Like right now it's 1:00pm for me so that means it's 2:00pm over there. The 'c' in 9/8c stands for central time. So it really sucks on New Year's Eve cuz my family and I see the big 'Countdown to the new year' an hour early. So while New Yorkers are celebrating 2009 or whatever, it will only be 11:00 here and won't be 2009 for another hour. Sorry if I caused confusion, I tried explaining it as best I could.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[22]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 55
    That's pretty much it. There are actually four time zones in the US though. From East to West they are: Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. When it's 9:00 in the Eastern time zone it's only 6:00 in the Pacific. The reason for the different times in the promos is the way TV stations used to broadcast. The easiest thing to do was to just broadcast the same signal to the Eastern and Central time zones, then the Mountain and Pacific zones would each have their own signal. So, a TV show would air at 8:00 in the Eastern, Mountain, and Pacific zones, but Central would get it at 7:00 (when it was 8:00 in the Eastern zone).

I'm not sure this always happens now with cable and satellite, but that's the reason for the "9/8c" thing. It just means that it'll be on at 9:00 for every region but Central where it'll be on at 8:00.

NJZ

[23]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 29
    Ah, I always wondered about that 9/8c thing too. I knew it was because of the different timezones but I didn't know what the actual notation meant. Thanks for explaining SVU and Grailwolf.

SVU_Obsessed

[24]Sep 25, 2008
    NJZ wrote:
    Ah, I always wondered about that 9/8c thing too. I knew it was because of the different timezones but I didn't know what the actual notation meant. Thanks for explaining SVU and Grailwolf.

Man Grailwolf explained it a lot better than I did. Didn't even know we had 4 time zones, aren't I smart? Least I tried.

michael_LB92

[25]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 24
    Thanks for clearing that up. This entire time I thought it was like some warped way of saying 8.30 or something, cause in Australia, most hour shows start at the half-hour marks. (Like a 7.30 show, then 8.30, then 9.30)

AuntArlene

[26]Sep 26, 2008
    What's funny is how hard it can be to get used to a different time zone. All my life I lived in Central. I lived in the Eastern time zone for a bit and every Saturday at 10:30 I'd turn on NBC looking for Saturday Night Live. I would have been fine in Central, but where I was SNL didn't start until 11:30.

NJZ

[27]Sep 28, 2008

Has anyone here ever seen the movie "The Island"? I was watching it last night and I couldn't help thinking "I wonder if Dollhouse will be similar to this"

Obviously the show won't have as big a budget as a movie starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson, but I think there could be similarities. Such as the journey of self-discovery and self-realisation aswell as being locked up in a supposedly utopian environment etc...

The movie itself reminded me a lot of Dark Angel and since I've been getting a DA vibe from Dollhouse, it's not a stretch to think that there could be similarities

Anyone agree? disagree?

michael_LB92

[28]Sep 28, 2008
    I haven't seen the movie, but I remember wanting to. It's about the people who don't know they're actually clones of other people or something?

AuntArlene

[29]Sep 28, 2008
    The Island is AWFUL! It may also have more product placement than any other movie I have ever seen.

NJZ

[30]Sep 28, 2008

michael_LB92 wrote:
    I haven't seen the movie, but I remember wanting to. It's about the people who don't know they're actually clones of other people or something?

Yeah, that's the one.

AuntArlene wrote:
    The Island is AWFUL! It may also have more product placement than any other movie I have ever seen.

I take it you haven't seen Sex and The City?

Every other word in that movie was Manalo Blahnik, Vivienne Westwood, Louis Vuitton etc... They even had Jennifer Hudson's storyline revolve around an LV bag and love. It's all a bit crazy but it makes sense with the narration at the end.

I thought The Island was pretty good. It's not something to get very excited about but it's enjoyable nonetheless. I think if they went deeper into the human aspect of it rather than the action, it could've been a lot better (I'm hoping Dollhouse is more about the former mixed in with bits of the latter). Having said that though, I loved the action scenes.

I'm a sucker for those cool chase scenes as long as they're done well. I can't stand movies like The Fast and The Furious that don't have a decent plot to back up the action going on. But I love stuff like Terminator or Die Hard where the action scenes are done well and are - to an extent - necessary.

AuntArlene

[31]Sep 28, 2008
    No. I have not seen Sex and the City.

The problem with the product placement in The Island was it was so deliberate. It wasn't that the main character was drinking Vitamin Water, it was that he had to set it down and then rotate it so the brand name faced the camera.

I thought the big chase scene on the semi truck was a little ridiculous. The trucker is losing heavy train wheels off his bed and he doesn't stop or even slow down. I also had to wonder why he was hauling train wheels when they made it obvious earlier that trains hovered and no longer need wheels.

michael_LB92

[32]Sep 28, 2008
    I've seen the Sex and the City movie. One of the less obvious product placements, but more annoying for me, was Starbucks. Most coffees or "frappucino"-thingys they had were from Starbucks the entire time.

I didn't so much mind the brand names - mostly because the entire show is always like "Oh Em Gee, I got these-brands shoes and they were like a jillion dollars."

...OK, they never ever say anything like that. But a lot of the show was about shoes, and brands, and so I didn't so much mind the brands being all advertised in the movie. It would've felt empty without it, really.

NJZ

[33]Sep 29, 2008

AuntArlene wrote:
    The problem with the product placement in The Island was it was so deliberate. It wasn't that the main character was drinking Vitamin Water, it was that he had to set it down and then rotate it so the brand name faced the camera.

I thought the big chase scene on the semi truck was a little ridiculous. The trucker is losing heavy train wheels off his bed and he doesn't stop or even slow down. I also had to wonder why he was hauling train wheels when they made it obvious earlier that trains hovered and no longer need wheels.

Yeah, they did make the product placement really obvious. And I agree on the truck thing. As I was watching, I was thinking "Why has the driver not noticed?".

michael_LB92 wrote:
    But a lot of the show was about shoes, and brands, and so I didn't so much mind the brands being all advertised in the movie. It would've felt empty without it, really.

Haha, LMAO, that's so true. It would've been weird had they not had lots of hip brands in the movie. Having said that though, I think they took things a bit too far at times. Like the bit where Carrie gets so excited that her wedding dress is a Westwood and she even makes a point of it by narrating about Lacroix (sp?) and all those other brands. And all their flash cell phones annoyed me too. It was like, whoa, since when did these girls care about having the latest phone?

SVU_Obsessed

[34]Sep 29, 2008
    Am I the only one who hasn't seen 'The Island'? I can hardly remember the previews. I take it that it's not worth watching?

grailwolf

[35]Sep 30, 2008
    I haven't seen The Island, but I plan to eventually. I actually enjoyed the movie it's based on (Parts: The Clonus Horror) when I was a kid, and I'm curious to see how they've updated it. I'm also a fan of both Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson.

I usually don't mind product placement, but if it's too blatant it can be distracting. And things like the big truck dropping wheels all over the highway... usually I can let stuff like that go because it's just such a common trope of action films. A lot depends on the rest of the movie, though. When Morpheus is facing down the twins on a moving truck in the second Matrix film, that was awesome!!! But if the rest of the movie doesn't grab me, and doesn't make me want to suspend my disbelief, then it can really bug me.

michael_LB92

[36]Sep 30, 2008

NJZ wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    But a lot of the show was about shoes, and brands, and so I didn't so much mind the brands being all advertised in the movie. It would've felt empty without it, really.
    Haha, LMAO, that's so true. It would've been weird had they not had lots of hip brands in the movie. Having said that though, I think they took things a bit too far at times. Like the bit where Carrie gets so excited that her wedding dress is a Westwood and she even makes a point of it by narrating about Lacroix (sp?) and all those other brands. And all their flash cell phones annoyed me too. It was like, whoa, since when did these girls care about having the latest phone?

Ah, yes... Samantha's iPhone. That was way over-done, I think.

But no product placement is quite as horrible as that on One Tree Hill. The amount of times a character opens a fridge, only for it to be fully stocked with nothing but Sunkist, is attrocious. I'm not even sure if I can spell attrocious, but it's the only word that quite covers it. Not to mention that Haley and Peyton both wear Sunkist T-shirts at least once each on the show. And then there's this episode, where there's a special event at Tric, and Sunkist posters are hung EVERYWHERE, and Peyton actually says something along the lines of "And everyone put your hands together for our sponsor, Sunkist! Without them, this wouldn't happen."

It's just ridiculous how much Sunkist advertisement is placed in One Tree Hill.

Edited on 09/30/2008 7:53am

SVU_Obsessed

[37]Sep 30, 2008
    I have never seen a single One Tree Hill episode and I am definitely not going to now. But I don't really pay that much attention to product placement so it normally doesn't bother me, but if it's being shoved in my face, then it gets annoying.

NJZ

[38]Oct 1, 2008

The Island is only worth watching if you're into action movies that aren't JUST about car chases followed by car crashes and stuff.It's got plenty of that plus a decent enough story to keep you interested.

Does anyone else remember the 30 Rock episode that took the p*ss out of product placement? I know they do it often but this particular episode had the theme run throughout. It was in Season 1 sometime.

I could not stop laughing during that episode.

EDIT: I just found out the name of the ep. It's season 1 episode 5 "Jack-tor". And the product they're promoting is Snapple (the drink). Great, great episode

And here's one of the reasons why 30 Rock is hilarious with it's product placement.

Anyways, product placement doesn't bother me much either unless it's very obvious (such as in Sex and The City). Mostly I ignore it.

Edited on 10/01/2008 1:07pm

SVU_Obsessed

[39]Oct 1, 2008
    Ha! That vid cracked me up! I haven't seen 30 Rock in forever and I wish I had. I would buy eps off itunes, but the prices jumped to $2.99 an ep and I just can't make myself buy them.

grailwolf

[40]Oct 2, 2008
    Check out Amazon. Video downloads are only $1.99. Still pricey, but it's better than iTunes.

Never actually seen 30 Rock myself, but I've heard a lot of good buzz. That may be a Netflix choice for me one of these days.

Actually, now that I think of it, this post is exactly the reason that I don't mind product placement. This is the way people talk. We don't say "hand me a facial tissue" we say "give me a Kleenex". We say "I'm going to get a Coke" rather than "I'm about to enjoy a popular cola". Sitting at my desk and looking around I can currently see the brands OfficeMax, Altoids, Kleenex, Avery, Intel, Dell, Hewlett Packard, General Electric, Method, Scotch, Bic, T-Mobile, At-A-Glance, Dominos, and Expo (and that's without moving anything or turning my head very much). If you open my refrigerator you'll see every brand name from Hellmann's to Oscar Meyer to Jones Soda to the occasional Killian's. In fact, I find it a bit distracting when a character opens the fridge and every label is torn, covered, or turned away from the camera.

Including name brands in an organic way actually increases the realism of the piece for me. It can be done clumsily, like anything else in film or TV, but that's the fault of the director and producer, not of product placement in general.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pour myself a cup of Folger's mountain grown coffee and get a bowl of new Maple and Brown Sugar Life cereal. It's part of this balanced breakfast!