Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

The Dollhouse Official Off-Topic Thread

SVU_Obsessed

[41]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 22
    grailwolf wrote:
    Check out Amazon. Video downloads are only $1.99. Still pricey, but it's better than iTunes.

Never actually seen 30 Rock myself, but I've heard a lot of good buzz. That may be a Netflix choice for me one of these days.

Actually, now that I think of it, this post is exactly the reason that I don't mind product placement. This is the way people talk. We don't say "hand me a facial tissue" we say "give me a Kleenex". We say "I'm going to get a Coke" rather than "I'm about to enjoy a popular cola". Sitting at my desk and looking around I can currently see the brands OfficeMax, Altoids, Kleenex, Avery, Intel, Dell, Hewlett Packard, General Electric, Method, Scotch, Bic, T-Mobile, At-A-Glance, Dominos, and Expo (and that's without moving anything or turning my head very much). If you open my refrigerator you'll see every brand name from Hellmann's to Oscar Meyer to Jones Soda to the occasional Killian's. In fact, I find it a bit distracting when a character opens the fridge and every label is torn, covered, or turned away from the camera.

Including name brands in an organic way actually increases the realism of the piece for me. It can be done clumsily, like anything else in film or TV, but that's the fault of the director and producer, not of product placement in general.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pour myself a cup of Folger's mountain grown coffee and get a bowl of new Maple and Brown Sugar Life cereal. It's part of this balanced breakfast!

Wow your last paragraph sounded like an early morning commercial, awesome. Thanks for the tip about amazon!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

michael_LB92

[42]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 24
    NJZ wrote:

The Island is only worth watching if you're into action movies that aren't JUST about car chases followed by car crashes and stuff.It's got plenty of that plus a decent enough story to keep you interested.

Does anyone else remember the 30 Rock episode that took the p*ss out of product placement? I know they do it often but this particular episode had the theme run throughout. It was in Season 1 sometime.

I could not stop laughing during that episode.

EDIT: I just found out the name of the ep. It's season 1 episode 5 "Jack-tor". And the product they're promoting is Snapple (the drink). Great, great episode

And here's one of the reasons why 30 Rock is hilarious with it's product placement.

Anyways, product placement doesn't bother me much either unless it's very obvious (such as in Sex and The City). Mostly I ignore it.

Yeah, the Snapple episode is hilarious.
    I actually tried Snapple at Singapore Airport (cause we don't have it in Australia) ... it really wasn't that great.

SVU_Obsessed

[43]Oct 2, 2008
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    NJZ wrote:

The Island is only worth watching if you're into action movies that aren't JUST about car chases followed by car crashes and stuff.It's got plenty of that plus a decent enough story to keep you interested.

Does anyone else remember the 30 Rock episode that took the p*ss out of product placement? I know they do it often but this particular episode had the theme run throughout. It was in Season 1 sometime.

I could not stop laughing during that episode.

EDIT: I just found out the name of the ep. It's season 1 episode 5 "Jack-tor". And the product they're promoting is Snapple (the drink). Great, great episode

And here's one of the reasons why 30 Rock is hilarious with it's product placement.

Anyways, product placement doesn't bother me much either unless it's very obvious (such as in Sex and The City). Mostly I ignore it.

I actually tried Snapple at Singapore Airport (cause we don't have it in Australia) ... it really wasn't that great.

Ha! Damn the snapple!

AuntArlene

[44]Oct 2, 2008
    The product placement in The Island isn't clumsy, it's ham fisted and lit up with neon.

SVU_Obsessed

[45]Oct 2, 2008
    Now I have a serious urge to watch The Island. I should make a list of all the products it showcases to gain knowledge about how the tv industry is severely corrupted...in other words, I have no life and making a list is just something to keep my busy while waiting for people to post.

marto_dd

[46]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 17

Did you guys watch Amy Acker in this season's premiere of Private Practice? She was just amazing, I loved her ))

SVU_Obsessed

[47]Oct 3, 2008
    marto_dd wrote:

Did you guys watch Amy Acker in this season's premiere of Private Practice? She was just amazing, I loved her ))

I didn't even know she was guest starring on that show. I've never watched grey's anatomy so I never had an interest in private practice.

AuntArlene

[48]Oct 3, 2008
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    Now I have a serious urge to watch The Island. I should make a list of all the products it showcases to gain knowledge about how the tv industry is severely corrupted...in other words, I have no life and making a list is just something to keep my busy while waiting for people to post.

We could make up a bingo game...

NJZ

[49]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 29
    michael_LB92 wrote:

We have Snapple over here. I've seen people drink it but I have no idea where you can actually buy it. It's never in any supermarket or off-license or food shops.
    marto_dd wrote:

She was on PP? I'm still on Season 1 so I haven't seen the new episode yet. I've really got to start watching stuff quicker.

SVU_Obsessed

[50]Oct 3, 2008
    Geez I see snapple everywhere. Everytime I see one a weird snapple theme song pops into my head, just some made up little jingle. *There's a snapple over here! There's a snapple over there! There's a snapple in my hand, IIIIIITTTTT'SSSS SNAPPLE!!!* Sometimes I think I should keep these things to myself...

michael_LB92

[51]Oct 4, 2008
    You amuse me. Type more.

SVU_Obsessed

[52]Oct 4, 2008
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    You amuse me. Type more.

And have everyone think that I'm an even bigger freak! Ha! I say, Ha to you!

michael_LB92

[53]Oct 5, 2008
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    You amuse me. Type more.

Eh, it's the internet. Nobody knows your identity here. You can send hateful comments to everyone and avoid getting knifed.
    It's handy that way.

SVU_Obsessed

[54]Oct 6, 2008
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    You amuse me. Type more.

Eh, it's the internet. Nobody knows your identity here. You can send hateful comments to everyone and avoid getting knifed.
    It's handy that way.

That's true. There some people on here (not this board just tv.com in general) who trash talk everybody, but in no way would they do it if they weren't able to hide behind a computer screen. Geez, you know everytime I come to this post that damn snapple song pops into my head. It's like a trigger now! I blame you!!!*Hums jingle aloud*

SVU_Obsessed

[55]Oct 7, 2008
    *Puts on sad face* Where is everybody?

michael_LB92

[56]Oct 8, 2008
    What is your avatar? It interests me.

I've never even heard the Snapple song. Tell me... what's it like? *dreams*

SVU_Obsessed

[57]Oct 8, 2008
    It's a drawing of Marilyn Manson. And the snapple song is a horrifying jingle that my mind made up and has now turned it against me in unrelentless torture!!! I wish this upon no one! There's a snapple over here..there's a snap-GAH!!! I refuse to give in! I refuse!!!

marto_dd

[58]Oct 9, 2008
    Wow, guys, did you watched this week's Private Practice? Last week it was with Amy Acker and this week it was with Fran Kranz, who will be a regular character in Dollhouse! It seems like Marti Noxton really wants to show us the actors of the future Whedon hit ^^

SVU_Obsessed

[59]Oct 9, 2008
    marto_dd wrote:
    Wow, guys, did you watched this week's Private Practice? Last week it was with Amy Acker and this week it was with Fran Kranz, who will be a regular character in Dollhouse! It seems like Marti Noxton really wants to show us the actors of the future Whedon hit ^^

This might sound like a dumb question, but is Marti Noxon part of the Private Practice crew? I know you're probably thinking 'no ****', but sometimes I need these things spelled out for me.

marto_dd

[60]Oct 10, 2008
    Yeah, she is. Marti Noxton is an executive producer of the show and she has written a few episodes, like the premiere of this season.