Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

The future

Vavires

[1]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 7

I was wondering is there no chance another channel can pick this up? or fox changing its mind? I mean if u look at the upcomming episodes and what we have seen up till now, it keeps getting better and better. Something that is typical for a whedon show, it needs to grow and evolve.

so what are the chances this being picked up by another channel like eum well syfy?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Doom442

[2]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 4

As soon as Dollhouse got Cancelled, Sci Fi announced they would not pick it up (via Twitter of all places). I know CW would kill for ratings like Dollhouse is getting, but even with the budget cut im not sure its financially viable for CW to pick it up (rumours of teetering on Bankruptcy and all that. I know Joss said something negative about working on a network similar to HBO.

Also Joss and Eliza have said that the story will be wrapped up in ep 13, so no chance of extension i guess

DuoMaxwell007

[3]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 12
    did syfy give their reasons for saying they wont pick it up? That sounds like a random thing to say right after a show gets cancelled (unless of course it wasnt random but peopel had been asking them too for ages and that was their response). Also Joss and Eliza didnt say it would be wrapped up on teh last episode. It said while teh show will tie up loose ends and have an ACTUAL ending (unlike most shows that get canacelled) itll still be open ended incase the show ever did survive for another season

historylover20

[4]Dec 11, 2009
    • level: 28

It might be too expensive for SciFi (I refuse to do the new name). Plus, it's a very rare show that thrives after being picked up by another network. It has happened before (JAG moved to another network and lasted 8 seasons on the new network. Scrubs is in its second season on ABC). But most shows fail after being picked up by another network if they're not in syndication. And while I think SciFi has successfully picked up a couple of shows after they were cancelled and guided them to be hits, it's not going to happen with Dollhouse.

The chances of a very low-rated show being picked up by a cable network that doesn't dole out a lot of money for its shows are very slim. SciFi would have to cut Dollhouse's budget even more than it was cut this season--just due to its own revenue needs. Although this channel can do a lot with a little money and make most of their shows look good, I think Dollhouse would suffer. Plus, since SciFi is trying to get away from these kind of shows (hence that stupid name change), it wouldn't be a good fit.

Also, SciFi always gets hassled by science fiction/fantasy/horror fans to pick up their favorite low-rated show. I know for the past 5 years, Supernatural fans have said that if the CW ever cancels Supernatural that we should beg SciFi to pick it up (they won't.) So, I think SciFi decided to let it out now that they will not be picking up Dollhouse in order to try to quell the pleading and the drowning their offices in dolls.

(SciFi getting away from science fiction shows is a rant for another time. As is the idiotic name change! I can think of various networks with a name that says exactly what they air! TCM, ACM, Comedy Central, Soap Network, Game Show Network. Heck, I have a stupid channel called "The Golf Network." Guess what they show 24 hours a day. What was so wrong with keeping the name? All you're doing is changing the spelling. And you're not the only network that proudly displays what you air in its title!)

Kat

Edited on 12/11/2009 7:24am

DuoMaxwell007

[5]Dec 11, 2009
    actually ive seen non comedy on comedy central

Vavires

[6]Dec 20, 2009
    you know i never lost faith in Josh, i cannot understand, or i rather dont want to understand the fact that a show like this can get cancelled, do you see these episodes now? whats going on? do you see the potential this shows has and were it can lead to.

Im still hoping, with all my heart some miracle will happen and this show lives on. I dont see how epitah 2 will give me a satisfying feeling of an end.

r10tp00f

[7]Dec 20, 2009

Poor Joss, and his poor fans! I still hope, pray, dream, fanatize of Angel season 6, especially after reading the comic books. If I had one wish (pretaining to solely to my trivial tv watching) it would be that season 6 of Angel would have been made. My second wish would be that Dollhouse lasted for another few seasons. My third wish would be that a Spike solo show would have been made after season of 6 of Angel. Seriously though... Dollhouse is one of the best shows on tv currently. Actually other then Dexter, Dollhouse is the only non animated show that I actually watch on tv. I'm getting more depressed about it with each passing episode... as each new episode continues to get better and better! I hate Fox.

Lady_Lancaster

[8]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 41
    Sadly, it's definitely gone. I think I've read 3 times now that the final episode wraps everything up which is a good thing because it's more than Firefly really got. Time for Joss and Eliza and the team to move on. I would have loved a third season after this one has been so good but it's not to be, unfortunately.

thetruesora

[9]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 22
    with what i'm gonna do now it's going to be good and bad. i'm going to wait to watch the last 3 episodes over one weekend. good as then i'll have awesome finale-ness. bad since that's still just over a months time before i can do that and then of course after i've watched it... NO MORE DOLLHOUSE

stuxmusic

[10]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 5
    When it started I doubted the show's longevity, and now I can see years in it, and I do not want it to stop here. They've only just gotten to the core of the entire show (which I think is where Joss wanted to be at the end of season 1, before fox interfered.)

It's turned from something I groaned about into something my heart races at watching. I love this show now, dispite 5 or 6 flawed episodes. I am aching for some news of a reprieve. Hell, I'd take a lower budget, as long as it was on the air! Bugger it, 6 episodes a season sounds fantastic to me, shows become a lot tighter on that kind of run anyway!

Razor1978_2

[11]Dec 29, 2009
    • level: 9
    Doom442 wrote:

Also Joss and Eliza have said that the story will be wrapped up in ep 13, so no chance of extension i guess

Wrapping up the show will make no sense though.

Look at the series finale of Season 1 which was set in the future. They failed taking the Dollhouse down, and Topher's device becomes widespread in its use.

thetruesora

[12]Dec 29, 2009
    ^episode 13 of this season is a continuation of the future episode at the end of season one.

historylover20

[13]Dec 29, 2009
    • level: 28

Plus, it's been tying things into E1 fairly well, if a little rushed.

Kat

thetruesora

[14]Dec 29, 2009
    This season has made Topher's breakdown seen in E1 even sadder, as he's been growing a conscience and tried to do the right thing. We saw why he came up with the plans for the device which causes all the chaos and how he was just trying to work out what Rossum was upto. He was much better off as just the childish cocky programmer.

toxic_boy21

[15]Dec 31, 2009
    • level: 13
    With enough time and Joss probably working towards the best ending for the series for months now, I'm fairly confident we'll get the most conclusive, neatly-wrapped ending to a Whedon series since Buffy's S7 finale.. but still, I'll be sad to see it go

DuoMaxwell007

[16]Jan 8, 2010
    ok so if this finale is gonna be a continuation of the season 1 finale (epitath 1), so youre saying in the next two episodes (tonight and the week following) is gonna move all the way from wher ethe last episode left off to the point of everything being like epitath 1 in a mere 2 episodes? then if the last episode is a continuation of epitath 1, then everything that happened in epitath one is gonna be resolved in a mere 1 episode? and you people call that an ending? sounds more like reading a book all the way to the middle then skipping every chapter after that and reading the last chapter.. and umm thats supposed to be a satisfying conclusion?

lazyjay

[17]Jan 8, 2010
    • level: 30
    I'll reserve judgment and just see how it plays out.

Peterb3291

[18]Jan 8, 2010
    • level: 8
    DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    ok so if this finale is gonna be a continuation of the season 1 finale (epitath 1), so youre saying in the next two episodes (tonight and the week following) is gonna move all the way from wher ethe last episode left off to the point of everything being like epitath 1 in a mere 2 episodes? then if the last episode is a continuation of epitath 1, then everything that happened in epitath one is gonna be resolved in a mere 1 episode? and you people call that an ending? sounds more like reading a book all the way to the middle then skipping every chapter after that and reading the last chapter.. and umm thats supposed to be a satisfying conclusion?
    There will more than likely be a time gap between episode 12 "The Hallow Man" and Episode 13 "Epitaph 2:The Return", there's not much they can do but I for one won't judge the episode till I see it.
    Edited on 01/08/2010 5:48pm

nightgod473

[20]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 5
    historylover20 wrote:
    (SciFi getting away from science fiction shows is a rant for another time. As is the idiotic name change! I can think of various networks with a name that says exactly what they air! TCM, ACM, Comedy Central, Soap Network, Game Show Network. Heck, I have a stupid channel called "The Golf Network." Guess what they show 24 hours a day. What was so wrong with keeping the name? All you're doing is changing the spelling. And you're not the only network that proudly displays what you air in its title!) Kat
    In the end, this is a VERY easy answer. When they decided to re-brand the channel, they also wanted to be able to copyright the name of the channel. You can copyright SyFy, you can't copyright SciFi. It's really just as simple as that.