Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Was Boyd A Good Choice For The 'Dollhouse' "Bad Guy"?

Do you think Boyd was a good character to choose to be the 'bad guy' in "Dollhou

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Feb 22, 2010
    • level: 41

Hi Guys,

It seems that a lot of die-hard "Dollhouse" fans were very surprised to find that Boyd was the bad guy because he was so well liked and popular, and obviously trusted as Echo's handler etc. So, what do you think of his turning out to be bad?

LL.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Feb 23, 2010
    • level: 32
    While the plot twist was truly surprising; I'm not particularly attuned to the choice to make Boyd the bad guy due to fact that it really defies logic that a man would go to such personal lengths to look over a single individual when he has seemingly thousands of people in his employment and is also in charge of technology that can be used to wipe and imprint someone as a caretaker if he really was so worried about a possible leak.
    Granted he was somewhat insane so I guess that would help explain his reasonings though it stills feels rather strange.

historylover20

[3]Feb 23, 2010
    • level: 28

I replied "Other comments."

^^I agree^^

Boyd being the bad guy was shocking, but that's not always good. It struck me as them NEEDING to make someone be a bad guy, and Boyd fit the bill. However, there was no logic in it. Look at his actions in season 1, especially toward Echo. Now, does this strike you as someone who is behind the whole thing? I'm especially thinking of him getting shot with an arrow to protect Echo. OK, so he has to protect her, because she's the Chosen One (or something), but no one would go to those lengths.

And it defies what we previously known about Boyd. Granted, he obviously faked his creditentials, but how would a CEO of an multibillion dollar medical research corporation have THOSE kind of street smarts? I doubt whether Bill Gates would know how to make a body disappear. He'd just pay someone to do it! (I kid. I kid!)

I think if Dollhouse would have gone on for a couple more years, they would have introduced a character who was the Big Bad. I don't think Boyd was created to be the villian.

Kat

The_Dude14

[4]Feb 23, 2010
    • level: 7

I'll give it another look when the DVD comes out, but I am still firmly in the camp of Evil Boyd didn't work.

It made for a hell of a surprise, but its not a good surprise. There may have been a way for them to make it work, but the way it played out did not work.

I think the biggest problem with Evil Boyd is that he's clearly insane. He's not evil, he's not selfish, he's not misguided, he's just freakin' nuts and that just does not lend itself to anything that Boyd or Evil Boyd accomplish, whether as a cop, a CEO of an Evil Organization, or as a handler/security chief in the Dollhouse. He's nuts and there's no hint of it throughout the series, not even in the episode where he is revealed to be evil. There is only one episode where Boyd is crazy and its his last one.

There are the skills that he cannot fake, only earn through experience. He and Ballard (Well, maybe, Ballard was a CEO pretending to be an FBI agent) make the exact same assessment on Perrin. Boyd catches Sierra's handler with the sting operation, has detailed knowledge on how to cover up a crime scene and proves to be pretty effective in interrogation. These skills serve an ex-cop who, at some point, was compromised. They don't lend themselves to an Evil Undercover Boss.

In order to fill the role, I think they needed an actor that would resonate with their audience, someone that would be recognized and carry some dramatic weight, and when they couldn't get that to work under the timeframe they had to work with, they had to go another direction and that direction was Boyd.

And it didn't work, IMO.

Me, I think they should have brought in Anthony Stewart Head to fill the role, if at all possible. Evil Giles running Rossum? It works for me, you know he can pull off the role and it resonates with the audience. Boyd dies tragically helping Team Dollhouse, probably saving Echo. I guess we never learn about his tragic cop past, but at least his character isn't contradicted... and maybe we can find a way in the episode where Ballard gets to do more than be the Boy Hostage.

Johann7

[5]Feb 23, 2010
    • level: 6
    "I'm especially thinking of him getting shot with an arrow to protect Echo. OK, so he has to protect her, because she's the Chosen One (or something), but no one would go to those lengths."

Why not? Their consciousnesses are not bound to any particular body, as demonstrated, so death and physical harm have no meaning (and if I was crafting extras for my personality, I'd include a factor that would make pain less unpleasant while still noticeable).

"There are the skills that he cannot fake, only earn through experience."

Were we watching the same show? The dolls aren't implanted with skills alone, they're implanted with the experiences that yield those skills. Topher states numerous times that he builds personalities from pieces of actual people e.g. Echo-as-kidnapping-negotiator inadvertently winds up with a history as a kidnapping victim. And we know that the Rossum heads imprinted themselves with extra skills, therefore extra experience. I assert that evil-Boyd is entirely plausible within the world of the show, although it was also clearly a mid-season decision made necessary by the premature cancellation of yet another excellent Joss Whedon project. If only he could get funding somewhere other than FOX...

Anyway, it even makes a certain amount of sense, making sure the person who is central to your plan implicitly trusts you, and keeping an eye on her. Plus, it provides a nice counter-point to Ballard's ex-law-enforcement-agent-turned-Dollhouse-employee, since Ballard IS a good guy.

Of course, this is all opinion, so there is no right answer, but these are my reasons for thinking as I do, as best I understand them. Anthony Head would have been sweet, but I imagine he was wrapped up with production of Merlin.

Rachwhut

[6]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 6

Honestly? I think that making Boyd the bad guy was a work of genius.

I mean, we all loved him, and like Echo's 'team', the thought that he just might be a bad guy didn't even cross our minds. I think any negative feelings are more because we didn't want him to be the villian, as opposed to anything else.

The_Dude14

[7]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    Johann7 wrote:
    "There are the skills that he cannot fake, only earn through experience." Were we watching the same show? The dolls aren't implanted with skills alone, they're implanted with the experiences that yield those skills. Topher states numerous times that he builds personalities from pieces of actual people e.g. Echo-as-kidnapping-negotiator inadvertently winds up with a history as a kidnapping victim. And we know that the Rossum heads imprinted themselves with extra skills, therefore extra experience. I assert that evil-Boyd is entirely plausible within the world of the show, although it was also clearly a mid-season decision made necessary by the premature cancellation of yet another excellent Joss Whedon project.
    Now maybe I missed something, they were throwing a lot at us at the end. but I believe they made it explicitly clear that Boyd/Evil Boyd was neither a doll nor an upgrade, that the head of Rossum was untouched by the technology. They seemed to go to great lengths to contrast the Head of Rossum with Clyde, who was both a doll and an upgrade.

Jon_MW_14

[8]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 39
    Rachwhut wrote:

Honestly? I think that making Boyd the bad guy was a work of genius.

I mean, we all loved him, and like Echo's 'team', the thought that he just might be a bad guy didn't even cross our minds. I think any negative feelings are more because we didn't want him to be the villian, as opposed to anything else.

I totally agree.

michael_LB92

[9]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 24
    Boyd was not a Doll, if I remember correctly. He had that weird technology thing that made Actives pass out or whatever, didn't he? He would've passed out too, when he activated it.

Anyway, my two cents: it was okay. Like others said, didn't make sense. But it wasn't totally unbelievably stupid. It just barely scraped into my suspended belief.

thetruesora

[10]Feb 25, 2010
    • level: 22
    Also he didn't react like the dolls did to that virus in season one.

TwistedConverse

[11]Feb 26, 2010
    • level: 23
    It was really shocking but poorly explained.

It would have been better if Fox hadn't cancelled the show.