Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Was Eliza Dushku The Right Choice For The Lead In Dollhouse?

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 41

Hi Guys,

A lot has been said and written about the choice of Eliza to play the lead character in "Dollhouse". There are quite a few who say very vocally that she was wrong for the role, her acting is too weak and that someone else should have been cast.

What do you think? Is Eliza the right person to be Echo and lead the show or should Joss have gone with someone else?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AnilThornberry

[2]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 19
    Yes she was/is. Whats so bad about her? I personally dont see something wrong in her acting. Some of you guys are too judgmental.

Kadodian

[3]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 23
    She was okay in the first five episodes but then after a while she just kept doing the same thing over and over again. It's like she has 3 facial expressions. I love Eliza Dushku ! I love all her movies and I loved her as Faith but she seriousley sucked as Echo !

historylover20

[4]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 28

I like Eliza Dushku, but I think her real-life, strong, charasmatic personality tends to overshadow her characters. In a case like Faith, that adds to the character. In some of the imprints, that also adds to the character. However, she can't quite get to the blank doll state.

Plus, Echo/Caroline really isn't all that intriguing. OK, I take that back--Echo is far and away more intriguing than Caroline. But, I prefer the supporting dolls.

Finally, it really doesn't matter if Eliza Dushku is the right choice for the lead or not. It wouldn't be a show without her. She was the one who had a show in development with Fox, and she approached Joss Whedon to helm it. They discussed the storyarc over lunch. She has producer rights, and, unless I'm very much mistaken, she's the first actor in the Whedonverse who has producer credit on one of Joss Whedon's shows. Even though he is executive producer.

By all accounts, Joss Whedon didn't want to do anything with Fox again after "Firefly." But, he likes Eliza (which, according to what I've seen of her on interviews and what I've heard about her, she's an extremely likeable person.) So, he agreed to do it.

Kat

The_Dude14

[5]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 7
    historylover20 wrote:
    Finally, it really doesn't matter if Eliza Dushku is the right choice for the lead or not. It wouldn't be a show without her. She was the one who had a show in development with Fox, and she approached Joss Whedon to helm it. They discussed the storyarc over lunch. She has producer rights, and, unless I'm very much mistaken, she's the first actor in the Whedonverse who has producer credit on one of Joss Whedon's shows. Even though he is executive producer.

By all accounts, Joss Whedon didn't want to do anything with Fox again after "Firefly." But, he likes Eliza (which, according to what I've seen of her on interviews and what I've heard about her, she's an extremely likeable person.) So, he agreed to do it.

Kat

This was going to be part of my point, there is no Dollhouse without Eliza.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with Eliza. Echo may not be my favroite character, but I don't think that's a fault of the performer, necessarily. For all the criticism, I don't often see much in the way of how and who could do it better. Its her part, I accept her performance, maybe its not award winning, but I have no trouble buying it.

And as a matter of fact, outside of Mal and Firefly, the lead is rarely my favorite character of Joss shows. Buffy, in particular, really began to grate the nerves in the later seasons. I loved Angel, but I loved Wesley more. I think it speaks more for the strength of Joss's ensembles, necessarily, than the weakness of the lead.

If I wanted to change the lead, it would only be as a "star power" deal. Have someone who is a "ratings draw." However, that's a double edge sword, because if you get someone who's a draw, you'll likely get some acting that makes Eliza look like Judi Dench by comparison.

historylover20

[6]Oct 30, 2009

Very true.

And I also agree that, other than Mal (and Dr. Horrible), the lead actor in one of Joss Whedon shows are seldom my favorite.

Kat

TwistedConverse

[7]Oct 30, 2009
    Yes. She had a few rough moments early on but has massively improved imo.

Jon_MW_14

[8]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 39
    TwistedConverse wrote:

Agreed.

Lady_Lancaster

[9]Oct 30, 2009
    • level: 41
    Jon_MW_14 wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:

Agreed.

Also agree, I think she's a really great job in Season 2. I've always been a fan since her Faith days and it's good to see such good performances from her in this season.

TwistedConverse

[10]Oct 30, 2009
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Jon_MW_14 wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:

Agreed.

Also agree, I think she's a really great job in Season 2. I've always been a fan since her Faith days and it's good to see such good performances from her in this season.

I watched Vows again today and I just thought she was really excellent in that episode. One of my favourite things about this season is seeing Eliza improve so much .

michael_LB92

[11]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 24
    She hasn't been horrible, but she hasn't been fantastic.
    Meryl Steep should have been Echo.

historylover20

[12]Nov 1, 2009

There are a few drawbacks to the idea of the great Meryl Streep playing Echo. But, thanks for the laugh.

Kat

ThoreauHD

[13]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 11

So does anyone remember Tru Calling? She sucked in that too. It's not her fault. Her range of emotions go from stuck up to mindless and stuck up. That's just her nature.

And it doesn't matter what any of us think. Joss Whedon likes her. So she has a job. Period. The end.

Hot girls and acting rarely mix. It's hard to be a method actor in the gutter when you have to get your nails, leg waxing, glacial tan, and 2 hours of yoga in by 5.

zitzitta

[14]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 8
    ThoreauHD wrote:

Hot girls and acting rarely mix. It's hard to be a method actor in the gutter when you have to get your nails, leg waxing, glacial tan, and 2 hours of yoga in by 5.

Sorry if it weren't your intention but that just sounded sooooooooooooo sexist!!! And untrue!

historylover20

[15]Nov 1, 2009
    zitzitta wrote:
    ThoreauHD wrote:

Sorry if it weren't your intention but that just sounded sooooooooooooo sexist!!! And untrue!

Completely agree.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people might think, like, Meryl Streep is hot. Everyone agrees she is an awesome actress.

There are several great young actresses. Now, I don't mean those who are more interested in having their names in tabloids than having good work. But, Eliza Dushku doesn't seem to be a tabloid actress (like Lindsey Lohan, as an example.)

Eliza Dushku might not be a method actress, but she also doesn't strike me as someone who has to get her nails done, get her legs waxed, get glacial tan, have 2 hours of yoga in by 5:00 or even be a tabloid actress. Chances are, since she's a producer, she's on set all the time. She strikes me as someone who does work very hard. She might not be the greatest actress working now, but she is working. It might have something to do with her beauty, but she isn't as bad as ThoreauHD makes her out to be.

Kat

kikimarie593

[16]Nov 2, 2009
    • level: 27
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    I watched Vows again today and I just thought she was really excellent in that episode. One of my favourite things about this season is seeing Eliza improve so much .

I agree.
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Meryl Steep should have been Echo.

Ew. No. Just no.
    ThoreauHD wrote:
    So does anyone remember Tru Calling? She sucked in that too.

No she didn't.
    ThoreauHD wrote:

There are actors who do that stuff too...
    historylover20 wrote:
    Some people might think, like, Meryl Streep is hot. Everyone agrees she is an awesome actress.

I don't.
    historylover20 wrote:
    Eliza Dushku might not be a method actress, but she also doesn't strike me as someone who has to get her nails done, get her legs waxed, get glacial tan, have 2 hours of yoga in by 5:00 or even be a tabloid actress. Chances are, since she's a producer, she's on set all the time. She strikes me as someone who does work very hard.

I agree.

historylover20

[17]Nov 2, 2009

Really? You've never seen "Sophie's Choice," "Julie and Julia," "The Bridges of Madison County" (which isn't a very good movie, but she was very good in it), "The Devil Wears Prada," "Mama Mia," "Silkwood," "Kramer vs. Kramer"? If you haven't seen some of these movies (J&J, MM, TDWP aren't classic movies, and I'm not crazy for romantic comedies, but the rest of them are classic films. Ones that anyone who is interested in film should see.)

I ask this because if you've ever seen Meryl Streep, you wouldn't be saying she isn't an awesome actress. She's gifted with accents, she's got range that most actresses would die for. And she is probably the greatest actress working today. She's been nominated for 15 Academy Awards, although she's only won two of them (which even the great Katherine Hepburn only won 4 of them.)

However, she would be completely wrong for Echo, if the poster who suggested her wasn't joking (which I think he was). The role is for someone young and sexy. Meryl Streep is in her 50s, so she's too old for the role. And she's not particularly "sexy" (although I know some guys with crushes on her). And I think she would be worse than Eliza Dushku at getting to the blank state. Not to mention she would be way too expensive for Mutant Enemy to get.

Kat

Edited on 11/02/2009 4:10pm

mimisc2009

[18]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

Hi Guys,

A lot has been said and written about the choice of Eliza to play the lead character in "Dollhouse". There are quite a few who say very vocally that she was wrong for the role, her acting is too weak and that someone else should have been cast.

What do you think? Is Eliza the right person to be Echo and lead the show or should Joss have gone with someone else?

I think she's a brilliant actress and about the only good thing in the show.

michael_LB92

[19]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 24
    historylover20 wrote:
    The role is for someone young and sexy. Meryl Streep is in her 50s.

Exactly.

But yes, I was joking. And no, I don't think Meryl Streep is sexy. She would still be an awesome active for like the non-sexy variety kind. Unless she were a sex client for older men who also want oldish women. But really, the ratings are bad enough as it is without old people sex. And of course she is far too expensive for anything television. Especially Dollhouse.

Frenz9

[20]Nov 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    I believe she was, lets not forget it cannot be easy playing a different character every episode and without any back story, personally i have not seen any major acting problems and normally im very critical on that front.