Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Why is Elizas acting so poor all the time? Flat/Bad Delivery

Nilyana

[1]May 15, 2009
    • level: 1

Ive seen her do some great acting. She was remarkable as Faith seeking redemption in Angel. Is it the writing? Her character? Is she just that one dimensional?

Just compare her to Sierra or Viktor she just seems ot fall flat.

I mean did you SEE Viktor acting like White? ?I mean my god that was amazing. I thoguht it wad dubbed at first.

Or heck compare alpha to omega. Alpha was amazingly well acted by Tudyk. While Omega just felt flat, devoid of anything, and had to explain her "feelings" instead of Tudyk who showed you what he was feeling. He never had to stand around and say "I am made up of a bunch of guys and I am evil!" Which is bascially what Eliza did as Omega.

Edited on 05/15/2009 2:19pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[2]May 15, 2009
    • level: 23
    .. That's the way Omega was written? They didn't have Omega lapse into different personalities so how was she supposed to act? If Tudyk had gotten her lines, I don't see what else he could have done better.

vi4km9

[3]May 15, 2009
    • level: 5
    I agree with Nilyana. I also like Eliza Dushku and think she is a good actress, but there is something lacking in her delivery as Echo. It could very well be the writing or how the director is telling her to act. I have seen her portray very convincing characters in other shows and know she is capable. (I also agree that Alan Tudyk is an amazing actor, as well as the guy who plays Victor (Enver Gjoka). It's also interesting in that although I like the actor who plays Paul (Tahmoh Penikett), he isn't as exciting to watch as I thought he would be.

KingofIPirates

[4]May 15, 2009
    • level: 32
    vi4km9 wrote:
    I agree with Nilyana. I also like Eliza Dushku and think she is a good actress, but there is something lacking in her delivery as Echo. It could very well be the writing or how the director is telling her to act. I have seen her portray very convincing characters in other shows and know she is capable. (I also agree that Alan Tudyk is an amazing actor, as well as the guy who plays Victor (Enver Gjoka). It's also interesting in that although I like the actor who plays Paul (Tahmoh Penikett), he isn't as exciting to watch as I thought he would be.
    I agree her acting has seemed almost monotonous throughout this series making her somewhat redundant.

Nilyana

[5]May 15, 2009
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    .. That's the way Omega was written? They didn't have Omega lapse into different personalities so how was she supposed to act? If Tudyk had gotten her lines, I don't see what else he could have done better.

There are ways to portray supreme serenity and control as opposed to just blatantly saying it, like Omega did

TwistedConverse

[6]May 15, 2009
    MEH IDC THE SHOWS BEEN RENEWED AND YOU COULD BE INSULTING MY OWN MOTHER AND I WOULDNT CARE AT THE MINUTE.

I'm too excited .

Nilyana

[7]May 15, 2009

TwistedConverse wrote:
    MEH IDC THE SHOWS BEEN RENEWED AND YOU COULD BE INSULTING MY OWN MOTHER AND I WOULDNT CARE AT THE MINUTE. I'm too excited .
    when wwas it renewed? I am happy for whedo but i wishn this was firefly=/ Hopefully season 2 will come back to form and stop this stand alone crap

SVU_Obsessed

[8]May 15, 2009
    • level: 22
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    MEH IDC THE SHOWS BEEN RENEWED AND YOU COULD BE INSULTING MY OWN MOTHER AND I WOULDNT CARE AT THE MINUTE.

I'm too excited .

I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING WHEN I SAW THE TOPIC TO THIS THREAD!!! THEY COULD THREATEN TO KILL MY FAMILY AND I WOULD STILL BE HAPPY BECAUSE OF DOLLHOUSE'S RENEWAL!!!

michael_LB92

[9]May 15, 2009
    • level: 24
    Stop typing in capitals, it's awful.

I agree, Eliza is a bit flat. I wouldn't say her acting was bad, it was just dim compared to some other fantastic actors on the show.

AnilThornberry

[11]May 16, 2009
    • level: 19
    Whats wrong with her? I think she's great enough. She's charming, sexy and talented. Maybe she does need improvement at some points but I'm sure she'll improve. She's never played a lead in a show before. Or did she?

spikemaniac

[12]May 16, 2009
    • level: 50
    AnilThornberry wrote:
    She's never played a lead in a show before. Or did she?

She played the main character, Tru Davies, (who was in the show's title), in "Tru Calling".
    I haven't watched TC in a while, but I remember her being okay on that, but I thought she was soooo much better as Faith, and probably better as Echo too. I don't know, I know what you guys mean when you say she's a bit "flat" but I can't really explain why.

filmstu2005

[13]May 16, 2009
    • level: 7

In all honesty this show turned me off with the first 3 episodes. The acting wasn't all that great from our lead actress, and the story plotlines, while clever, were executed terribly. Remember Episode 2 The Hunter or something? The Hunter was a BAD BAD actor, and the story was lame. Dont even get me started on Epi 3 Stage Fright, the worst of the bunch.

Eliza was pretty bland in the first few episodes but man she is really pulling it off. She did a great job emulating the style of a 50 yr old woman in the Haunted episode.

You have to understand Eliza's acting. Her voice is raspy and extremely distinct. Its hard for her to mask her voice in her acting. On top of that is her look, which isn't very versatile. She's gorgeous, but its hard for her to disguise herself in her acting. Her face is too reminiscent of her real self, Eliza. So she has to be a physical actor and hide in her characters, just like Keanu Reeves. In other words, Eliza acts with her body, not her voice or appearance. She still does a good job at keeping up with it though.

Amy Acker is AMAZING as always. She was brilliant as Fred in Angel, incredible as Illyria, and her switch from Whiskey to Dr. Sauders on Dollhouse shows her versatility. Thank God Joss Whedon found her. The guy playing Victor is also pretty impressive. And i have to applaud the lady who plays Mrs. Dewitt, Dollhouse Director. She originally came off as a warm/cold bi*ch and now I totally sympathize wit her. The girl playing Sierra is just as impressive. Great show.

Alpha, played by Spot? Was that his name in Firefly? That guy is amazing too. If there's anything Whedon knows how to do well, its find good actors. Unknowns too.

What Whedon is good at is making us sympathize and actually LIKE the characters. Characters have to not only entertain, but connect with us on a human level in some way, and all the characters have been able to do that.

spikemaniac

[14]May 16, 2009
    • level: 50
    filmstu2005 wrote:
    Alpha, played by Spot? Was that his name in Firefly?

HAHA! Sorry Hehe his name was Wash
    Also, I agree with everything you just said

NJZ

[15]May 16, 2009
    • level: 29
    Nilyana wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:

There are ways to portray supreme serenity and control as opposed to just blatantly saying it, like Omega did

"blatantly saying it"? I'm sorry, but since when does Eliza have control over the WRITING on this show?

NJZ

[16]May 16, 2009
    • level: 29
    spikemaniac wrote:
    filmstu2005 wrote:
    Alpha, played by Spot? Was that his name in Firefly?

HAHA! Sorry Hehe his name was Wash
    Also, I agree with everything you just said

lol, I laughed too. And yep, I had never thought about it that way (physicality vs vocality) but filmstu2005 makes some REALLY good points.

kikimarie593

[17]May 16, 2009
    • level: 27
    filmstu2005 wrote:

The Hunter was a BAD BAD actor,

Dude. Don't diss Matt Keeslar (the actor who plays him). He's awesome.

___Mr_Nasty___

[18]May 16, 2009
    • level: 24
    I thought he was pretty shocking too, actually.

TwistedConverse

[19]May 16, 2009
    He was quite poor.

kikimarie593

[20]May 16, 2009
    • level: 27
    You guys are mean.