Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Why is Elizas acting so poor all the time? Flat/Bad Delivery

TwistedConverse

[21]May 16, 2009
    • level: 23
    I ain't mean. I'm extremely nice .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyTVSrox

[22]May 16, 2009
    • level: 33
    Eliza Dushku. And a turtle.

I think this settles all disputes.

TwistedConverse

[23]May 16, 2009
    I heart her.

kok_warlock

[24]May 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    I also agree, she isn't exactly awful, but she is very weak, you can compare her to other actress with limited acting skills, but do alright playing somewhat "simple" roles, like Mandy Moore.

She was great as Faith, because it was the kind of character that was perfect for her, looking bad-ass, pretty girl kicking monster's ass.

However, Eliza Dushku playing Echo, is very weak and a bit lame, every week her character has a new personality, however every weak she sound, moves and acts the same, in that episode "True Believer"(an episode I saw a couple people say they thought she was great, I guess I saw a different episode with the same name), her acting was beyong laughable, it was painful, and at the middle of a talented cast that even with small roles they manage to steal the show, in the end she just looks like a pretty face, which I guess with the name recognition is what got her the job, not her acting skills, also considering she co-produces the show, probally a demand from her, so I'm guessing she is pretty expensive.

However I don't think she is solely to blame for the show's rollercoast ride, the writing was also a big factor for the almost demise of the show.

However a second season is coming, maybe they should focus the show a bit more in the other characters, the same that "Entourage" did with the character of "Ari Gold" played with perfection by Jeremy Piven, at season 1 he had a very small role, but stole the few scenes he was it, in the next seasons we saw much more of him, for example, the actors who play Topher, Dr. Saunders and Adelle really shine in their parts, along with Victor and Sierra, who are almost "Extras" in this show.

filmstu2005

[26]May 17, 2009
    • level: 7

kok_warlock wrote:
    However, Eliza Dushku playing Echo, is very weak and a bit lame, every week her character has a new personality, however every weak she sound, moves and acts the same, in that episode "True Believer"(an episode I saw a couple people say they thought she was great, I guess I saw a different episode with the same name), her acting was beyong laughable, it was painful, and at the middle of a talented cast that even with small roles they manage to steal the show,

Actually, she was pretty good in Episode 5. Dude, u have no idea how hard it is to play a blind chic. Its pretty damn hard. And she played it with this very light innocence that even i admired. But that whole "I can see" thing I didnt like initially. Her character gets smacked, her vision restored, but she takes it in calm as hell? Seemed to simple. She should've been freaking out saying "Oh MY GOD. It was GOD! GOD did it!"

Also, in episode 4, when she played the master thief Lady Blue Skies, she did a pretty convincing job. There's just one problem. When Sierra was reprogrammed to take the persona of Lady Blue Skies, she was MUCH better at it than Eliza. They were playing the same person but Sierra's style fit better.

In other words, Sierra is awesome in just about every Personality she takes in. (I heard from others who witnessed her on other shows that the girl playing Sierra was originally a bad actor. In fact, pretty terrible. Guess she decided to get with that acting coach, huh? Lol)

Sorry guys, the guy playing the Hunter in epi 2 was in Art School Confidential. He was cool there, but my god he was NOWHERE near being considered a Hutning Bad A**. He wasn't even tough looking or-or HAIRY! I thought he was a poster boy for Ralph Lauren except goofy looking...

Oh, and his name was Wash? Not Spot? Was Spot the dog's name?

Edited on 05/17/2009 12:09am
    Edited 2 total times.

spikemaniac

[27]May 17, 2009
    • level: 50
    filmstu2005 wrote:
    I heard from others who witnessed her on other shows that the girl playing Sierra was originally a bad actor. In fact, pretty terrible. Guess she decided to get with that acting coach, huh? Lol

HAHA yeah, well I'm Australian, and have seen her on an Australian soap opera called "Neighbours", and while her acting wasn't TERRIBLE, it was definitely below average. But I think that has something to do with the fact that the quality of the dialogue and plot in an Australian soap opera hardly has the same range of acting potential as that of a Joss Whedon show.

filmstu2005 wrote:
    Oh, and his name was Wash? Not Spot? Was Spot the dog's name?

There is no dog in Firefly

michael_LB92

[28]May 17, 2009
    • level: 24
    kok_warlock wrote:
    [...] in the end she just looks like a pretty face, which I guess with the name recognition is what got her the job, not her acting skills, also considering she co-produces the show, probally a demand from her, so I'm guessing she is pretty expensive.

She actually inspired the creator to make the show. So I think it's more than just the fact that she's a pretty face. I strongly disagree with a lot of your post. I would not call any of her acting so far "laughable". Personally, I think Eliza is becoming better with time. And Eliza would probably be the most expensive cast member of the show (obviously), but I don't think she would ever choose money over Joss.

kok_warlock wrote:
    [...] the writing was also a big factor for the almost demise of the show.

I really hate this generalisation. The "almost demise" of the show was because people were not watching. Do you really think the writing has much influence on the decision to renew a show? Perhaps, a little. But not nearly as much as actual profit does.

Maybe people didn't watch Dollhouse because the writing was bad. Maybe they didn't because they thought Eliza was a bad actrss. Maybe they didn't watch because they had no interest. Maybe they assosiated the show with sci-fi. Maybe people just prefer a show less dark. Or disturbing. Or maybe the Nielson system is just corrupt and doesn't work.

Excellent shows can last for episodes or years. Crap shows can last for episodes or years. Shows that last long have one thing in common. They bring profit. I don't mean to sound attack-y. I just hate it when people assosiate ratings with quality, and vice versa.

filmstu2005

[29]May 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    If popularity ever defines quality then god help us all.

TwistedConverse

[30]May 17, 2009
    How is she poor as Echo? She says "Did I fall asleep?" and "Can I go now?" and then walks around blankly most of the time, like the rest of them do.

kok_warlock

[31]May 17, 2009
    • level: 11

michael_LB92 wrote:
    kok_warlock wrote:
    [...] the writing was also a big factor for the almost demise of the show.
    I really hate this generalisation. The "almost demise" of the show was because people were not watching. Do you really think the writing has much influence on the decision to renew a show? Perhaps, a little. But not nearly as much as actual profit does. Maybe people didn't watch Dollhouse because the writing was bad. Maybe they didn't because they thought Eliza was a bad actrss. Maybe they didn't watch because they had no interest. Maybe they assosiated the show with sci-fi. Maybe people just prefer a show less dark. Or disturbing. Or maybe the Nielson system is just corrupt and doesn't work. Excellent shows can last for episodes or years. Crap shows can last for episodes or years. Shows that last long have one thing in common. They bring profit. I don't mean to sound attack-y. I just hate it when people assosiate ratings with quality, and vice versa.

filmstu2005 wrote:
    Actually, she was pretty good in Episode 5. Dude, u have no idea how hard it is to play a blind chic. Its pretty damn hard. And she played it with this very light innocence that even i admired. But that whole "I can see" thing I didnt like initially. Her character gets smacked, her vision restored, but she takes it in calm as hell? Seemed to simple. She should've been freaking out saying "Oh MY GOD. It was GOD! GOD did it!"

Also, in episode 4, when she played the master thief Lady Blue Skies, she did a pretty convincing job. There's just one problem. When Sierra was reprogrammed to take the persona of Lady Blue Skies, she was MUCH better at it than Eliza. They were playing the same person but Sierra's style fit better.

In other words, Sierra is awesome in just about every Personality she takes in. (I heard from others who witnessed her on other shows that the girl playing Sierra was originally a bad actor. In fact, pretty terrible. Guess she decided to get with that acting coach, huh? Lol)

Sorry guys, the guy playing the Hunter in epi 2 was in Art School Confidential. He was cool there, but my god he was NOWHERE near being considered a Hutning Bad A**. He wasn't even tough looking or-or HAIRY! I thought he was a poster boy for Ralph Lauren except goofy looking...

Blame people in general and their interest or the nielsen ratings for the show "condition" is a bit of a stretch, I wasn't comparing ratings to quality, on the contrary, we are talking about the quality of Dushku's acting, and what I meant was that this show has some big flaws, Eliza is one of them, but she can't bear all the blame for it, the writing of this show is very average and sometimes below that, in episode 5, the whole concept, theme, was a pretty good one, but the execution, the writing, specially the dialogue, was ridiculous, and yeah, in the episode just when the guy found out he is surrounded by fbi and hit Echo, she goes, "Oh, i can see", and everybody believes it, that scene was bad in the acting and the writing.

Btw, the actress that plays Sierra, never saw any work from her before dollhouse, she isn't very attractive IMO (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but in the few parts she was in it, she stole the scene, I thought she was a very good actress, however her parts were getting smaller and smaller as the season came to an end.

TwistedConverse

[32]May 18, 2009
    Sierra was in a show called Neighbours and she was apparently dreadful there.

And I think she is very beautiful .

NJZ

[33]May 18, 2009
    • level: 29
    Dichen Lachman was extremely terrible on Neighbours. She did a complete 180 for Dollhouse. I'm impressed but also completely baffled.

kikimarie593

[34]May 18, 2009
    • level: 27
    I never saw Neighbors, but Dichen was AWESOME in the movie Aquamarine. And she's awesome here. I always thought she was a great actress.

TwistedConverse

[35]May 18, 2009
    She must have had some serious acting lessons then, cause she is brilliant on Dollhouse.

spikemaniac

[36]May 19, 2009
    I can't believe you guys even saw Neighbours. I can't believe they send that crap overseas. How embarrassing.

TwistedConverse

[37]May 19, 2009
    Neighbours is the soap opera, right? Never watched it.

I will admit to watching Eastenders though *hangs head in shame*

moatilliatta85

[38]May 19, 2009
    • level: 6
    I have read in several websites that Eliza's acting is the worst part of the show. So when I see people on this forum claim that her acting is phenomenal I get quite confused and wonder if people are watching the same show. Or are some people too forgiving when they already have a preconceived notion. I'm not the biggest Dollhouse fan, but I truly enjoy almost every scene/storyline Echo has nothing to do with. Almost everyone's acting is awesome and engaging. As other people have mentioned Victor playing Dominique was just.. wow. And Sierra playing the badass robber better than Echo was also saying something. Agent Ballard is kinda meh, too, but that's another story. I really think Eliza's acting hurts the show and it would perhaps do just fine without her (granted, she's a producer, so that will never happen).

NJZ

[39]May 19, 2009
    • level: 29
    spikemaniac wrote:
    I can't believe you guys even saw Neighbours. I can't believe they send that crap overseas. How embarrassing.

It was the BBC's biggest non-British show ever (I think). I used to love trashy soaps when I was young so Neighbours and Home & Away (I can just imagine you cringing as you read) were regulars for me. Dichen was truly horrible as were the rest of the people that played Katya's 'family'. And yeah, Twisted, Neighbours is a soap

spikemaniac

[40]May 19, 2009
    Oh god. Home and Away too? At least Neighbours was slightly bearable for a bit (yeah I watched it for about a month ), but Home and Away... Actually one of the girls in that show was in my year at school.