Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Your favorite Whedon leading lady?

Who is your favorite of Joss's leading ladies?

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 41

Hi Guys,

I had to think for a bit on this one and I still haven't decided so I'll vote later.

Whom would you choose?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

spikemaniac

[2]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 50
    I voted for the secondary role one, because the character of Buffy has consistently annoyed me throughout the whole show, especially season 5 and onwards, I find Zoe boring (compared to the other Firefly characters anyway) and Echo is just so blah. If I had to choose from that list, I would choose Cordy, I liked her lots on Angel. I still say the secondary characters are better though.

Also, why are there all actresses names and then "Zoe Wasburne"?

kikimarie593

[3]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 27
    Sarah Michelle Gellar is my favorite, but Eliza comes in a close second. I hated Cordelia and I haven't seen Firefly yet. As for secondary characters, I really like Michelle Trachtenberg.

The_Dude14

[4]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 7

Went with "someone else in a secondary role" because that option was there. My favorite is so definately Amy Acker as Fred. She also scores major bonus points for Doc Saunders/Whiskey.

Had that option not been open, woulda gone with the Buffster.

Personally, I'd consider Summer Glau as the leading lady for Firefly (well, maybe not so much the series but definately Serenity).

Felicia Day also deserve mention as a leading lady.

KingofIPirates

[5]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 32
    The_Dude14 wrote:

Went with "someone else in a secondary role" because that option was there. My favorite is so definately Amy Acker as Fred. She also scores major bonus points for Doc Saunders/Whiskey

Agreed, also If I had to choose a leading lady, it's probably be Cordelia.

Lady_Lancaster

[6]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 41
    spikemaniac wrote:
    I voted for the secondary role one, because the character of Buffy has consistently annoyed me throughout the whole show, especially season 5 and onwards, I find Zoe boring (compared to the other Firefly characters anyway) and Echo is just so blah. If I had to choose from that list, I would choose Cordy, I liked her lots on Angel. I still say the secondary characters are better though.

Also, why are there all actresses names and then "Zoe Wasburne"?

Because I was talking on the phone at the time and then mucked it up. Didn't realise it for ages! Silly me.

michael_LB92

[7]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 24
    I don't really see the point of a secondary character option for a "leading lady" poll, but eh.

I voted Buffy, even though I generally liked secondary characters more (Willow, Anya, Fred, forgive me for forgetting Jewel Staite's character in Firefly, November, etc.)

lazyjay

[8]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 30
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    forgive me for forgetting Jewel Staite's character in Firefly
    I hate you forever!!!! How the halitosis could you ever forget Kaylee! You are not forgiven.

As to the topic at hand... I guess she's a secondary (but IMO, more leading than CC ever was) Amy Acker, Fred from Angel.

buffyTVSrox

[9]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 33
    My favorite Whedon leading lady based purely on the actress is Felicia Day from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

Based purely on the performance, I'd have to say Sarah Michelle Gellar. She knocked it out of the park keeping Buffy a believable and even relatable character as the series went on and things got crazier and crazier. She really had so many layers to her character, and played them all just right.

However, in terms of character, I didn't enjoy Buffy that much and I couldn't really consider Penny a favorite (more so than the others anyway). Zoe was always a little blah to me compared to the rest of the Firefly characters, and Cordelia I only really loved in the first two seasons of Angel (and on Buffy). Echo really doesn't have much of a character yet, and what she does have is interesting but not what I'd classify as likable as a character. Out of those choices, though, I guess I'd have to say Cordelia, followed by Echo, then Penny, then Buffy, and Zoe last.

I'd have to pick a secondary character, because in terms of character, I just love Saunders, River, Anya, Fred, and so on so much more than the other female leads around them, even if some of the others have more primary roles.

Overall between performance, character, and the actress combined, my favorite is Summer Glau, followed closely by Felicia Day, and then our lovely miss Eliza.

TwistedConverse

[10]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 23
    I picked SMG from this list cause she was just fantastic as Buffy and I loved Buffy herself as well.

I loved Cordy, one of my fave characters ever and thought CC was excellent in the role. I liked Fred but don't really get the huge love tbh, she annoyed me at times especially during the Wes/Fred/Gunn triangle (but I didn't like that storyline at all anyway) and I actually think I preferred Illyria if honest.

Zoe is a good characters but kinda boring and I would consider Summer as lead girl in Firefly anyway although I prefer Kaylee and Inara to River.

I really like Echo and think Eliza is great but she hasn't really got a personality yet so *shrugs*

Overall my two favourite Whedon women are Darla and Anya but they didn't make the list and I couldn't really count them as leading ladies.

I dunno, I'm confused.

michael_LB92

[11]Oct 9, 2009
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    I liked Fred but don't really get the huge love tbh, she annoyed me at times especially during the Wes/Fred/Gunn triangle (but I didn't like that storyline at all anyway) and I actually think I preferred Illyria if honest.

For me, she always just seemed like the Willow for Angel, but sweeter and with less darkness/power that Willow had. I didn't like that love triangle story much either (well in season four anyway), but I just loved her character being in the show because she was awesome.
    Illyria was cool... but I loved Fred much more, and Illyria wasn't worth the death of Fred IMO.

lazyjay

[12]Oct 9, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Illyria was cool... but I loved Fred much more, and Illyria wasn't worth the death of Fred IMO.
    I sometimes feel slightly guilty for liking Illyria so much.

CaptainHarkness

[13]Oct 9, 2009
    I voted for Charisma. I loved how she developed so much while on Angel. Eliza would be my second choice.

TwistedConverse

[14]Oct 9, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    I liked Fred but don't really get the huge love tbh, she annoyed me at times especially during the Wes/Fred/Gunn triangle (but I didn't like that storyline at all anyway) and I actually think I preferred Illyria if honest.

For me, she always just seemed like the Willow for Angel, but sweeter and with less darkness/power that Willow had. I didn't like that love triangle story much either (well in season four anyway), but I just loved her character being in the show because she was awesome.

I loved her in S3, thought she was really annoying through a lot of S4 and then liked her way more in S5.

And I disagree about Illyria, for me she completely saved S5 and brought life to the last 7 episodes, I honestly really disliked most of the season up until that point.

_Kalex_

[15]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 8
    I voted for Zoe. She wasn't as dramatic as some of these other characters, but I was always drawn to her quiet strength. A lot of female characters on TV, especially the attractive, badass ones, end up being hypersexualized and a bit overdone. I loved the way she had this femininity about her, while also being very scary when she wanted. Also her relationship with Wash was so lovely.

michael_LB92

[16]Oct 9, 2009
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:

I loved her in S3, thought she was really annoying through a lot of S4 and then liked her way more in S5.

And I disagree about Illyria, for me she completely saved S5 and brought life to the last 7 episodes, I honestly really disliked most of the season up until that point.

I wasn't a fan of Angel season five, especially early on, but the end of the show was just so male-based, with no female characters involved at all. There was Harmony, but, come on, it's Harmony. And I don't really know if you could count Illyria as a female at all. I mean, she's a Goddess, but she's also a crazy blue thing.

spikemaniac

[17]Oct 10, 2009
    • level: 50
    lazyjay wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:

Don't feel guilty, she's a completely awesome character.

lazyjay

[18]Oct 10, 2009
    spikemaniac wrote:
    lazyjay wrote:
    michael_LB92 wrote:

Don't feel guilty, she's a completely awesome character.
    Awesome, yes, but she made Fred go bye bye. In one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen of anything.

melrosefan

[19]Oct 10, 2009
    • level: 7

1. Sarah Michelle Gellar- the best actress of the bunch and I will always love Buffy more than any other show's leading character.

2. Felicia Day- just adoreable and a great voice.

3. Charisma Carpenter- love Cordy and her portrayal of the character's transformation was excellent.

4. Eliza Dushku- great as Faith, but on/off in the other two shows I've seen her in.

5. Gina Torres- creeped the hell out of me in Angel and Alias, but her character in Firefly was kinda meh.

alias571

[20]Oct 10, 2009
    • level: 18
    I voted for the secondary role option, because Amy Acker and Alyson Hannigan are the best imo. If I had to choose the leading ones, I'd choose SMG acting wise, and Eliza personality wise.
    Edited on 10/13/2009 11:26am