Dollhouse

Gray Hour

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 06, 2009 on FOX

• What starts out as a hooker job become a robbery job

I like the twists in this episode. What was supposed to be basically another "hooker" story actually got interresting when it became a heist story. Did not see that coming!

And I really enjoyed when Taffy got "erased" by phone...did not see that coming either. I think Echo is becoming an interesting character that you could get attached to, even if that didn't seem possible at the beginning. She's so frail in this setting, away from the safety of the Dollhouse. It's really nice what they did here, getting her out of her confort zone.

They were some parts that bothered me a little like how easy it was for them to get out of there but I'm willing to let it go since the story was entertaining overall.

• Gray Hour

GRAY HOUR

The good;

Lovely scene where wiped Echo gazes around in wonder at all the beautiful works of art. Interesting to see Sierra and Echo play the same character 'Taffy' in the same ep.

The bad;

The scenes from the ep 'Echo' are repeated. However this means that Sierra has the scar from that ep on her forehead without any explanation and it later disappears. We never get a proper explanation of how Echo and her friend get out of the vault, even with smoke grenades and the other goon distracting the guards with his shooting.

Best line;

Goon 1 (of a suddenly infantile Echo) "What's wrong with her?"

Goon 2 "I don't know, hysterical woman syndrome?" (un-PC but FUNNY!)

Packing heat;

Boyd shoots the Professor in the kneecap. Echo with a pistol again

Kinky dinky;

Hooker Echo, mini-skirted and black PVC thigh booted in true Pretty Woman style. She considers her own breasts 'spectacular'. The Sierra version of Taffy says that after nearly getting killed on her first job she learned how to lapdance.

Notches on the Dollhouse bedpost;

Echo; 2

How'd they get away with that?

Accomplice slapping Echo is nasty

This weeks fantasy;

Midwife Echo and safecracker Echo/Sierra (the two skills not dissimilar, just one normally involves a lot more noise)

Total number personalitites;

Echo, Sierra and Victor

Addy is a bit British;

She's at the tea again.

Topher is a bit geeky;

He seems to eat nothing but junk food to judge by his shopping list. Also worries about a rival programmer from Tokyo

Subverting the Hollywood cliche

Sierra; 2 kills

Echo; 1

Dolls injured;

Capt subtext;

The baby girl Echo delivers has 'linebackers shoulders' which her father takes to be a sign that she'll be a lesbian.

Happy hookers

The hotel security guard is used to dealing with distraught hookers and offers Echo hush money

Know the face?

5 Whedon alumni-Mark Shepherd, Amy Acker, walking action figure, Eliza Dushku, Jim Piddock

Guantanamo;

Topher, at the heart of the conspiracy freaks out about the much larger conspiracy now attacking the Dollhouse

Fanfic;

Missing scenes

Reminds me off;

Echo's alias is Taffy, one of the teen Angels from Captain Caveman. Dollhouse does heist movie just like Buffy in Choices and Angel in Ground State.

Questions and observations;

Good ep, the scene between Addy and Topher at the end where she takes him into her confidence and they both look scared as hell at the idea of Alpha raises it to a better level. Adele seems to drink Tequila, Vodka and Johnny Walker whiskey to judge by her drinks cabinet.

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• Revealing Episode

This maybe the best episode of Dollhouse I have seen thus far. I like the fact that "Echo" is not some mindless zombie doing what she is programmed. She will begin to have memory of he past life. The best part of the episode was the fight scene between Eliza Dushku and Tahmoh Penikett is great. They looked like they really went at it and left nothing restrained. I also like one scene when one character is scared and then attack without any mercy based on a password. Great show overall, and the story will be better in future episodes.
  • And in come Craft and Fain to save the day…

And in come Craft and Fain to save the day… Joss Whedon's favourite old hands, those stalwarts of the Angel franchise, manage to resuscitate Dollhouse's ailing carcass after last week's disappointing effort. This is a much more well-rounded episode that sets up what appears to be a fairly run-of-the-mill heist plot and then takes a thoroughly gratifying swerve about a third of the way in. 'Gray Hour' does what no other episode has dared to thus far, and incorporates the minutiae of the imprint process into the central narrative, exploring the implications of an unexpected 'shut down.' This proves to be much more satisfying viewing than a simple 'assignment of the week', giving Dushku a chance to really demonstrate the horror of an active's dual, conflicting existence, and reiterating, and indeed accentuating, the undercurrent of dramatic tension that is driving the show's on-going narrative, as it becomes apparent that Echo is the victim of sabotage (Alpha, perhaps?) It's a shame that this development is resolved so quickly, and that the impact on Echo appears to be fairly minimal, although it remains to be seen whether it will have implications in future episodes. Sierra's involvement in Echo's retrieval jars a little too, since Dichen Lachman is clearly still struggling to find her feet in the role, and delivers her lines rather clumsily. Nevertheless, this is a pretty enjoyable episode with an engaging foundation that advances the show's mythology without requiring too much from the viewer. Promising.
  • Echo becomes part of a team that break into a safe to steal an priceless atifact for an mysterious client.

Finally an decent episode arrives. It;s not fantastic but it's watchable and something of interest is happening.

Whilst on an assignment as a safe cracker Echo's programming goes wrong. her imprinted character gets erased and she becomes useless to the team she is working with putting her in danger. Dushku continues to show her inability to carry off a lead role, but at last does show something that is watchable and she is in the role for a reason other than she is an attractive women.

It's in this episode that the inevitable plot line of her going rogue is kicked off. More information about an past operative named Alpha is revealed, but is Alpha responsible for what happened to Echo?
    Is Alpha targeting Echo herself or is she just being used by Alpha to get at the Dollhouse?

The supporting cast in this episode are pretty non-descript. Shows like these tend to have conventions. If any of these people were announced as being guests you would have to look up who they were. Considering this episode features a group of people trapped together you would think at least one of them would be memorable in some way.
    This is a symptom of this show's writing. The characterisation is terrible from the supporting characters to the main ones. This is episode four out of thirteen so around the third of the season mark. By now people whould be starting to get hooked on this show, but I think it's hard that non-Whedon fanatics would be. By all accounts the show wasn't pulling in the numbers in the hunt for TV ratings. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, if this is the best of the series so far and it's not an exceptional episode.
  • Heists Written by Elizabeth Craft And Sarah Fain Directed by Rod Hardy

Echo: "I'm trying to be my best."
    Thief 1: "You are the best. Remember Bonnie And Clyde."
    Echo: "Are they here too?"

And for this of faithful viewers, Echo's latest assignment involves a nice heist. I remember while this was airing in America that one reviewer pointed out that this show was like a paranoid sci-fi version of Secret Diary Of A Call Girl. We got some conclusive proof of that here.

While a lot of Echo's engagements have been undoubtedly sexual, we did have her posing as a hooker and gyrating her stuff to a group of horny men before telling the manager that they tried to rape her. Echo made a perceptive that just because of a certain profession, there should be limits to what people can expect of her.

The manager disappointed by putting the reputation of his hotel above a woman's safety. Offering financial compensation is one thing but when it involves not naming would be attackers, I have to admit that even as a male viewer, I had a bit of a problem with that.

However it seems that hooker Echo was playing along. Instead of the men being would be rapists, there were actually her posse and their job was more of a robbery than sex games gone wrong. Having thief Taffy pretending to be a distressed hooker might rub certain viewers up the wrong way however.

So, what could possibly a hotel have that Taffy and her gang of experts could possibly want so much as to stage a false sexual assault? Well, it's not an extra pair of bed sheets but more the marbles of Parthenon and in the guise of Taffy, Echo is the best person to nab the marbles for her client without any blood spillage to add to things.

If I wanted to watch a heist, I could've just bought any season of Hustle on DVD but at least this episode actually confounds some expectations. The one thing I was expecting was the mission to go wrong because all of Echo's engagements that we've seen onscreen have gone arseways so there's no way that this one would be different.

Getting caught would've been the most obvious thing to have happened. It also would've been pretty unsatisfying so what could go possibly go wrong that viewers might not expect? How about Echo being wiped of her imprint of Taffy only seconds after one of her teams betrays her and runs off with the artefact that she was gunning for? I certainly didn't expect.

When this happened, there was only logical explanation – Alpha. Another would've been if Echo's brain had somehow rejected the imprint and reverted back to Caroline but I don't think that's quite possible for Echo. Having Alpha wipe her through the phone as she was calling Boyd for back up made more sense. It was also quite creepy.

Topher mentioned back in "The Target" that a wiped Doll is a pretty vulnerable one and he wasn't kidding. Criticisms of Eliza Dushku's acting aside in certain engagements, I think she really nailed the terror and vulnerability that a blank Echo was suffering so well.

The whole repeating of 'shall I go now?' showed more a childlike helplessness rather than an annoyance but being a wiped stuck with two eager fellow thieves isn't exactly the best of things that could've happened to the woman either. It's amazing how quickly people will turn on someone when they're weakened.

The thief who spent a good chunk of the episode flirting with Echo as Taffy before her wiping suddenly lost all patience with her. When she couldn't tell him how to open the door, he resorted to hitting. Later when they were trying to escape he repeatedly yelled at her to shoot their way out. Needless to say, the outcome he got in the episode might be have justified in my book.

It's also funny that the thief who originally mistrusted her was the one who seemed a bit more sympathetic to her plight. Even when things totally went to **** he insisted that she save her own life and leg it. It wasn't really surprising that she would then return the favour by trying to get Boyd to help him. I guess there is some honour among thieves then.

Boyd was his excellent self in getting the treacherous old stuff expert to give him directions to Echo's location but it was imprinting Sierra with Taffy's personality that essentially saved the day. The more and more Dichen Lachman appears on screen, the more I find myself liking her as an actress. I even think she did Taffy better than Dushku as well.

She certainly played the more sarcastic, street lingo a bit more originally and there was some comic moments mimed when Sierra was trying to instruct Echo on how to drill a hole. Pity the humourless crowd couldn't pick up on it. Might have made the situation a little less intense.

With engagements going wrong, I'm still trying to rack my brains around the whole Paul/Victor subplot. What was the point of having the latter be Lubov for four episodes? What has it really achieved? If it was to get Paul to withdraw his investigation of the Dollhouse, then Adelle has failed on that one. Dominic was right when he noted Paul's determination two episodes.

A better plot for Adelle was letting Topher into the fact that Alpha was still alive. She might want to enlighten both Claire, Boyd and presuming that she hasn't already told him, Dominic into that little secret, unless she wants more casualties on her hands.

I still don't massively like Topher and he was certainly a patronising git to his assistant Ivy but I did like the fact that he actually seemed genuinely worried for Echo's safety as well as his own fears of Alpha being alive. Topher better evolve as a character because he's certainly letting the nerd side of this show down. It's also nice to see him and Adelle in scenes together.

Also in "Grey Hour"

What was up with Echo posing as a new age midwife at the start of this episode? Wouldn't hiring an actual midwife have been a smart and less expensive thing to do?

Sierra: "It's important to exercise. I try to be my best."
    Echo: "Are you?"

Topher noticed that Echo, Victor and Sierra were constantly eating lunch together, interacting socially. He sounded worried by it.

Old Stuff Expert: "I think you're hurting him."
    Echo: "You're very astute, professor. Good thing this is a no kill job."

Topher (to Ivy): "Humility is part of the learning process. I break you down, I build you back up."

Ivy was played Liza Lapira who also played the irritating Yuki Amado in Dexter's third season, which I'm also reviewing.

Thief 2 (to Echo): "It's not about looking right. Art's about feeling right and you have no idea what I'm talking about."

Sierra: "I'll need to see the cash upfront."
    Adelle: "We're a bit strapped for time of course."

We saw Echo remembering more stuff. In her blank state she remembered having a different name in the mountains and she drew the Picasso painting on a steamed mirror at the end of the episode.

Boyd (re Echo): "And if the outcome isn't happy?"
    Adelle: "Then you should prepare yourself."

Sierra (to Echo): "I'm gonna close my eyes and pray to God that when I say stop, you'll stop."

This episode was written by Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain who wrote for the fourth and fifth seasons of Angel.

Boyd: "Are you okay?"
    Echo: "He's broken, can you fix him?"
    Boyd: "We'll try."
    Echo: "I'm not broken."
    Boyd: "No, you're not."

Paul: "I don't want you to die, but if you do, there's a lot to learn from a dead body. I know how the Russians kill. I know their favourite weapons. I know where to look for bruises. I know which body parts they like to chop off and what message they want a body to send."
    Victor: "I tried to help you."
    Paul: "If your body turns up and tells a different story, well, that will give me information too."

There was no Claire or Mellie in this episode, plus the best song in this episode was Sia's "I Go To Sleep".

"Grey Hour" was a decent episode, surprising in some parts but this show does need to up the ante if it really wants to make a genuine cultural impact. It might also help if characterisation on Paul was a little better. There's a part of me that almost doesn't want him to take down the Dollhouse and there's no way I should be thinking that.
  • An improvement on the previous episode, more of a feeling of connection in the story elements.

Definitely feels less isolated than the last episode. Hopefully the writers continue to improve on this as they did here.

Alpha is reintroduced without ever seeing him though I hope there's actually a reason he remote-erased Echo and it wasn't just done to be a clever twist. Liked the insights into the company, as well as the growing mystery of Alpha and his motives. I even liked the Ballard/Lubov storyline, it's actually becoming interesting rather than just being backdrop, I'm even starting to find Ballard somewhat intriguing, he's proving to be unpredictable rather than being the stereotyped fed.

Much better, an independent episode which still creates links to the previous episodes and the Alpha storyline. A noticeable improvement in the primary story but still the improvements are in pieces, not quite tied together yet, but showing promise.
  • Echo goes undercover as a burglar, but gets wiped during the heist.

This show is really starting to get good. Although the originality of each episode is also in itself becoming generic with how something always goes wrong with Echo, I have not grown tiresome of the concept just yet.

I also was not irritated by Fran Kranz, for the first time in series history. His character is getting on my nerves overall, but I also feel as if that "smarky" computer nerd behavior of his is doing that by design.

But the overall story was well-planned and very entertaining, and it almost felt like I was watching an episode of Burn Notice, which can only be viewed as a compliment. Keep up the good work Dollhouse!
  • Slowly we are seeing an improvement .... I think.

Ok so I may be biased in the fact that I love Josh's work. However I have been quiet critical of this series so far and if the rumours are true I cant wait for episode 6 where appartently everything improves? Lets hope so! I loved the character of faith and thought that Dushku played her true yet i'm not sympethetic in any way towards echo. Mabey its because of her multiple personality that I am finding it hard to like her, or her and (i will say it) pathetic state as echo. I just feel that there are far too many similarities between these characters and others which have been far more superior in Josh's other works. However.. like I said I believe that with every episode it is getting better even if by a small amount. We have also been promised that better episodes have yet to come and I do hope so as i fear the poor ratings will continue unless there is a great turning point.

Fingers and everything else crossed for the future of Dollhouse its great seeing Josh back on our tv screens, even if it isn't the greatest of his collection thus far.
  • Slow but steady improvement

In the reviews for the first three episodes, I covered most of my concerns and thoughts on the series thus far. It still strikes me as remarkably sexist in its current form, which is likely an intentional story choice, meant to get the audience to hate the Dollhouse and sympathize with the actives. Yet it also still seems like Joss wants to have it both ways, given how often Echo and Sierra end up in skimpy outfits and the promotion is highly sexualized. None of this changed with this episode, so there's little point in exploring it in more detail.

Despite all of that, the series is beginning to grow on me. I've always enjoyed Eliza. Despite my misgivings at the mixed message, I cannot deny that her Taffy wardrobe was well-appreciated. She gets to show more range than usual in this episode, and Taffy was close enough to the Faith mold to satisfy those cravings.

But the real draw, at least at the moment, is the mythology that is building around the Dollhouse. Boyd continues to tentatively question some of the assumptions and attitudes about the actives (though not enough to outweigh his immense culpability), Topher continues to be Wash as an evil genius, and DeWitt seems to tred a highly self-deceptive line, protecting the actives while callously allowing them to be used in morally degrading ways.

Yet the two forces acting to bring the Dollhouse down are not necessarily better. Agent Ballard is ostensibly the good guy, since he wants to bring down the Dollhouse by any means necessary, yet his methods speak to a personal vendetta. His intentions don't seem to be pure (or, perhaps, they are a little too pure, as in "overzealous").

Alpha seems bent on tearing down the Dollhouse, but his methods are violent and equally manipulative. On the one hand, Alpha seems to be pushing Echo to her limits as a form of training and to break some of the programming. On the other hand, he could be trying to kill off the one active that might be able to stop him. It's not entirely clear, and that's a good thing.

What strikes me most, however, is the implication of what has been seen already. Literally anyone could be an active, and there's no reason to think that the Dollhouse is the only organization producing actives. There's no reason to think that the handlers aren't actives. Even DeWitt could be an active! This comes down to the very nature of identity, which strikes at the heart of the probably meta-fiction origins of the series.

This episode brings us about a third of the way through this short first season, and not too far from the point that Joss promised would kick the series into a higher gear. I'm willing to see where it goes, despite my misgivings, because I distinctly remember my tepid reaction to the first season of "Buffy". It may be worth seeing if this series can evolve as well.
  • Ok episode but not brilliant.

This episode was alright but it should have been a lot more exciting than it actually was. There were some nice moments with Echo and Victor but an awful lot of nothingness. The remote wipe idea was quite a good pretext and I liked the way Sierra was used to help them escape but other than that I was actually a bit bored by the whole thing. Of course, if and when we get to meet Alpha things may well get a whole lot more interesting and that's really what this show needs. We will have to see if the show can pick up and improve.
  • Meh...

Although I liked this episode more than last week's I felt that not to much progressed within this story. I really liked the premise the whole bank robbing thing was kinda cool but these episodes don't just need a good job to be good. It's mostly about the characters and how they develop. It was intersting when they implanted Sierra with the same personality as Echo. It would have been interesting if they met while both implanted with that same personality. I don't know about anybody else but I knew is was Alpha who had wiped Echo, I mean who else could have done? Reed Diamond? But I can't wait until we finally get to see Alpha. That will be a good episode.
  • Wiped in the middle of action..

Mm.. I did liked the twist in this episode - the way Echo was superb villian, thief and then in the middle of mission she is wiped by phone. And now she is that hopeless and helpless thing we saw in Dollhouse.. so.. that was a good twist, added some really good excitement but.. yes, there is always but..

I like the idea they have but there is something that was missing in this episode.. I was hoping for something.. It was exciting but I think it could have been more.. maybe the excitement was one layered only.. Maybe there was something else. I liked the serie but they could do better.
  • She's not broken

I don't understand why everyone is giving this show such a hard time. IIt's just the beginning! They can not treally explain everything in just a couple of episodes and they can't have a character fully developed fast. I like the fact that they are taking the time for Echo's/Caroline's development. They give us bits and pieces every week and it is going to be far more thrilling once the puzzle is complete. Much better than to have everything clear fast and then dragging the show. I have a feeling that everything that has happened so far is an improtant part of what is to come (at the season finale, perhaps?).

As for the episode's plot, I think it's the best so far. The way Echo and the good robber escaped was a little not convincing, but overall it was a great episode! It also had a lot of comical moments, which was great. I am loving the show so far and I can't wait for the next week's episode 'cause it looks great!
  • I hate those stupid classifications and don't like the option of writing my own: disappointing.

5.5
    I have to agree with several others who said words to the effect how the heck did Echo get out of that vault with only the magic trick of some smoke? Joss, this gets a big FAIL in the writing department.
    Dichen Lachman was cool as Taffy redux, but nearly everyone else was just the same as usual, and rather blah, except for the nice robber who taught Echo a few things about art.
    I'm extra disappointed by Dollhouse for all the pre-premiere hype, and now it is not half as good as an ordinary episode of House and not a fourth as good as Sarah Connor.
  • It was average

This episode was pretty average. It had a neat enough concept but it had some pretty lousy writing/acting. The nerdy dude, whats his face, boy that dude was given an acting challenge in this episode, and he failed the challenge of what I was speaking about. We all knew what was bloody happening but it was just annoying having that dude stumble over his slow realisation. And also, is Alpha really alive? Are we sure he is? maybe he's still dead? I hope they spend another few episodes pondering that possibility. Although the whole idea of introducing these odd characters, and then saying, "there's an evil one who is out to get us", reminds me too much of Sylar from Heroes, which isn't a good thing. Echo fails to be convincing in complicated roles. I will continue to watch this show until its inevitable closure because I hate myself.
  • While the mission itself and the character of Taffy carried entertainment value, this stand-alone episode falls into the same trappings that hindered previous episodes.

An improvement to be sure, Dollhouse, while still trying to find its footing, manages a more entertaining adventure this time round. While we're allowed to see Echo for the majority of the hour, she's still a character we're unable to connect with on almost every level, and once again the moment we've been waiting for happens at the end of the episode, and is, as Taffy puts it ''Anti-Climactic''.

Speaking of Taffy, there are definite shades of Faith to be found, from her badass attire to her nifty little phrase ''Blue Skies'' - a saying, I'm sure, that's likely to catch on with Whedon fans. Eliza has a lot of fun in the first half of the episode and, to be honest, so did I. I really enjoyed the opening sequence, mirroring Caroline's situation to a fashion: the birth mother is in so much agony she wants to forget, a not so subtle, but effective reminder of the kind of pain that lead Caroline to the Dollhouse in the first place.

Dichen, meanwhile, gets to shine in the second half, and has a whirl of a time as Taffy 2.0. From all of the negative buzz surrounding her performance on Neighbours, and her limited screen time thus far on the show, I was surprised by how much she embraced the role, adding her own level of sass to the character and, dare I say it, slightly eclipsing Dushku's performance.

Unfortunately, the plot mechanics are so excruciatingly routine, even at this stage, it's mind boggling. Four episodes in now and we've had Echo out on a mission, only for the mission to go wrong and for Boyd and Sierra to jump into the mix as backup. While the events in this episode are admittedly more thrilling, it's all so samey and rather predictable (although I could not have predicted how easily Echo and Co. managed to stroll out of the place).

You could argue, though, that this was a test by Alpha, I think it was more of a lesson on art. In episode 2 Alpha was testing Echo's survival skills, here, however, I think he was opening her mind to the beauty and disfigurement of the world outside of Echo's sanctuary- hence the Picasso painting and the juxtaposition between Taffy's two ''colleagues'' - showing the kindness and maliciousness of others and taking them out of their comfort zone and seeing their true, inner nature (one wanted to go out guns ablazing, while the other attempts to help Echo).

Asfor the rest of the characters on the show, I'm still not convinced. Topher is still annoying. I'm sorry, but I really cannot stand him. Dewitt, meanwhile, hasn't progressed in the slightest outside of her hard as nails front-woman for the company. Boyd gets very little screen-time, although I love his caring glances at Echo, but they're simply not enough. I did enjoy the random conversation between the Dolls. It was surreal and neat at the same time, it's something that should have been explored from the start.

Overall, it's a solid standalone episode with a few hints of the overall arc dropped in to keep things in check. However, this is still clearly a show all about the mission in relation to those working at Dollhouse (I want to see the people behind the jobs!!); and while effort are made to throw Echo into all kinds of philosophical circumstances, we still have no leading lady. The symbolism towards the end was a neat little touch, but as with most of my gripes with this series so far, it simply wasn't enough.

(Ballard goes nowhere. Again. Tamoh, however, gave a fantastic performance on BSG last night - Joss and Co. really need to utilise this guy's\talent beyond his good looks).
  • 'Did I fall asleep'? Echo gets wiped mid-session.

Echo becomes a burglar so she can perform a dangerous art break-in. Meanwhile Ballard challenges Lubov and Adelle makes a disturbing confession.

This is probably the best example of what a good standalone episode of this show will be like. I'm glad we'll finally get to see some mythology in a few eps though.

Meanwhile I'm starting to hate some characters more and more. Paul is annoying and Topher is such a cliche I can't even look at him through the entire scene.
    I'm starting to like Echo a bit more, though. Boyd didn't do anything mentionworthy in this episode, but Sierra was, again, a very good sidekick.
  • Echo becomes a master thief.

Here we are at the fourth episode of Dollhouse and here I wonder… "when am I going to start seeing some major changes with Echo?" In this week's episode Echo is hired to steal a special piece of art with a team of specially trained thief's. Her imprint in this episode may yet be the worst I've seen yet in terms of her personality. It's not that her personality wasn't believable; it was that she was bad at making me believe it. The peculiar quick liners didn't really help her case that much either, thankfully the show progresses echo's fate quickly. When the team reaches the safe it's not overly surprising seeing the professor turn on his team and try to make off with the artifact consequently trapping Echo and the others in the safe. Relax, the plot from here gets better as something I couldn't predict happened to echo, which admittedly was quite a welcome surprise. You see, Echo gets remotely wiped from a simple phone call with Boyd. This puts her into her bland state right in the middle of a sticky situation. What trails on after this event isn't the greatest though. What we see is echo try and overcome her vegetable state and understand her surroundings. At first it was amusing, but I believe too much time was spent examining her thoughts. The nice part about this was seeing Topher freak out. Here we start to see a little bit of magic with him as he struggles to understand how the wipe could have possibility happened. We learn that he has protocols to follow, which he breaks in this episode. I'm thinking maybe in the future when more problems arise we'll see Topher making a habit of it as he tries to control situations by himself. He also gets to the bottom of things as we find Echo's wiping isn't a coincidence – He learns the truth about the rogue active they sent out months ago which was proclaimed dead.

Extracting echo from the crisis ends up being very lackluster and quite unbelievable. I find It hard to believe that a place which holds so much valuable art wouldn't be covered by tons of cops in the area once the alarm was tripped. Yet, echo seems to get by all the cops carrying her injured teammate through a simple smoke grenade. Lame. Even if they did make it past the first room more cops would be in the halls making it virtually impossible to make it outside. A little bit of creativity would have vastly helped the ending. Agent Ballard is another story, a little bit of progression in his quest to find the dollhouse appears as he finds Lubov in his apartment asking for protection. At this point in the series though, I'm still trying to wonder why I even care about Ballard. What pivotal things has he done with the story as a whole? We see Adelle talk to someone on the phone about his exposure and how she wants the situation taken care of earlier rather than later, but what does he really know? In the end it turns out he gets all the police forces in the area to prevent Lubov from leaving.

So here we are another episode down and I'm still trying to find a character I can attach to. Echo is always someone new every week, learning little about her past in each episode. Like we see at the end of this episode only subtle hints of her picking stuff up, and it's all stuff we've seen earlier, it's time to expand on this! We need her to become self aware faster so the audience can connect with her. What is nice is the clear understanding of the villain. This rogue active seems like a doosy, and will most likely cause more problems in the future. Still, at this rate the show will lose all of its audience before it has the chance to fix the hole they've dug themselves in.
  • Echo is Taffy an expert thief who can get in and out of any situation. Unfortunately her program gets remote wiped through her cell phone leaving her and her partners trapped. Protocols break down and a mess ensues, but everything turns out alright.

I am going to say upfront that I am hoping that this series makes it as I am getting use to the premise and I can see where this can be taken. I see a lot of similarities in this series and Joss Whedon's others before it. Multiple plot lines that run through the fabric of many episodes. Little pieces that are revealed and at the time don't seem important. Now as far as the episode is concerned. It is basically a step back but still above what I would call average. I like the acting, the plot was exciting, and production value is obviously excellent. The acting is very good. Dushku does a wonderful job and really is believable as Taffy and then when she gets remote wiped as her feeble persona. The rest of the cast especially Topher, Adelle, and Langton were very good as well. The guest starring players were also very good.

The story itself was pretty exciting except they run into a problem with the time allotted for the episode. The show is almost over and there is literally no way out of the mess and "poof" they walk through the smoke with Echo carrying an injured accomplice and miraculously come out unscathed with no clue from the supposedly heavily secured high tech building. I liked the plot line but they never should have allowed that ending. We are suspending a lot of belief so far and that was just stretching it way beyond reason. The production value is very good. I have enjoyed the many sets and gadgets employed so far and I feel the tech is pretty decent in general.

Back to the story. The Ballard piece is really weak but I have a feeling it is going to get a lot better within a few weeks. By the way, what is he doing walking around after getting shot in the gut? Did he go to the doctor or hospital with that wound? Most people would spend a few days at least in the hospital with the kind of wound he received and the way he was bleeding. As far as the interchange between Victor and Ballard I found it amusing at best. One of two things, either the Dollhouse has no idea who they really are dealing with in Ballard or Ballard is a little off his rocker or it could be a combination of both.

Again from a security standpoint the Dollhouse is a mess. Protocol's keep getting broken left and right. Everyone seems thrown off their game by anything out of the ordinary happening. Considering the tech I would think they would expect the unexpected as due course.

The real danger of Alpha seems to be coming into play though and it seems to have something directly to do with Echo and why he didn't kill her.

After all of that, I found this to be an entertaining episode that I would watch again as there was a lot going on, but I can't rate it anything but good.

Thanks for reading...
  • Getting Bolder....

I loved watching this play out. Echo starts out on an normal assignment and I thought it was actually pretty believable that she was remotely wiped by her cell phone. I beat Topher though, I immediately though it was Alpha. I loved watching an innocent Echo trapped in the vault. I actually liked watching a extremely nervous and flustered Adelle. I was actually surprised when she admitted to Topher that Alpha is indeed alive a fact I never thought she'd admit. I like that Ballard is starting to play and make his own rules. I believe we're going to start seeing the company multi-task between their biggest challenges, Alpha, Ballard as well as Echo.
  • Echo is chosen for an engagement to steal an important piece of art. However, something goes wrong and she ends up wiped. Therefore she must get out of the safe before being shot... hmmmmmm.

If nothing else... the episode was great just because of Echo being called "a talking cucumber." It is SO cute!

The episode was definitely very effective because I was a little tense. I mean... what if the security people came in! And what if she discovers who she is. And of course it is just made perpetually worse as you watch. I like Sierra's Taffy more than Echo's though... probably because Sierra's was more pissed off. Afterall, she had a job taken from her and given to an idiot.

Who is the girl scientist? She's adorable but suddenly she just appears. I am glad they add someone for Topher to talk to.

Such a good episode!
  • The episode was good for half the time, then the other half was one of the worst television out there. She just walks out of the vault.

It started off pretty well, nice scheme to fool the hotel attendant, bam access to adjacent building and here we are robbery in progress. The memory wipe reduced Echo to mentally challenged person. It was painful to watch. Then blah, blah, blah and here we are out of the vault while the vault is surrounded, somehow a magical way appeared in the back the lead the exactly to a place where they started. 0 drama, and worst acting the world. What is even worst is that the next episode is purely idiotic, where Echo is made blind, and her eyes fit with camera. After any episode there is nothing memorable. Let the pain continue for another week.
  • Echo becomes a criminal and breaks into this art museum.

I think this is the best episode so far. I really enjoyed it. So this week Echo is a criminal. I liked the beginning of the episode where Echo helps give birth to that baby. I thought she was going to be a stripper, but I was so wrong. I liked that her memories were wiped after the phone call she had. Eliza Dushku did some really good acting. I liked how Sierra took over. I hated how that guy just slapped her. I'm so interested in the doll Alpha. I can't wait until the next episode! Hopefully we get even more information on Alpha. There was a lot happening in this episode so I give it a 10/10.