Dollhouse

FOX (ended 2010)

Gislef

Dollhouse Fan Reviews page 7 of 7

• Joss Whedon hinted that his regular fans might not be too thrilled about Dollhouse and seeing this pilot I think he was right.

After watching Buffy, Angel and Firefly I thought that Joss Whedon could do no wrong. That is until I saw the first Buffy comics.

The first bad thing I noticed was the lack of likable male characters in Dollhouse. That's not because they don't exist, it's because they pale beside the female cast members. Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker and Dichen Lachman (Sierra). Okay Amy is just a guest star but even with a ton of scars all over her face she still looked like an angel. Dichen Lachman was new to me but she sure is a hotty and I don't need to mention ED because she delivered perfectly as expected.

What's with the total lack of comic relief though? There wasn't a single funny moment in the show. Maybe it wasn't meant to be, but that's what you expect when you watch a Whedon show.

When I heard they rewrote the pilot in order to make it less whedonish and more mainstream I expected lots of great action scenes, but there was just a few gun shots, a slap in the face, and the motorcycle race.

The "Dollhouse theme", if you can call it that, seemed totally random to me. I expected something with a little more recognition value. The rest of the music in the pilot was rather lame too.

The plot on the other hand was great and that's why I'm looking forward to the episodes to come and to the point when Echo realizes that she's just a doll.
  • Decent start to what should be a good series...

I wasn't overly thrilled with the opener but I think it set up a lot of plot threads that will play out over the course of the first season. Eliza seemlessly transitioned through each role she played, infusing her charisma into every incarnation. Tahmoh did a great job introducing us to Ballard. (Let's all thank Joss for the shirt-less boxing scene, shall we?!) The episode itself didn't feel much like a series opener but maybe it wasn't supposed to. I kinda felt like we just got dropped right into the story already-in-progress...which isn't neccessarily a bad thing. I think the show will get better with each episode as we learn more about the characters and the dollhouse itself. All in all, a promising start.
  • Quite a disappointment. And the worst thing is that I find two of its fundaments lacking, which doesn't bode good for the future.

First, as presented so far the Dollhouse itself just doesn't seem believable to me.

Second, Eliza's performance was far from convincing. I think she was perfectly casted in Buffy but she's hardly a major actress really, which was apparent in this episode. This could be disastrous for the series as it centres around her completely.

The episode in itself was so-so, but it had some pluses and nice touches. It's great to see Amy Acker again. (Loved her "Would you like a massage?".) Dichen Lachman is stunning and was really cool as well.

Hopefully, the series will take off from here but my first reaction after seeing the first episode is that I doubt that Eliza can carry it. :(
  • A shocker !

It was an incredibly entertaining pilot. It's amazing. I didn't find it very different than all of Joss's shows. Deffinately darker than Buffy but is kind of similar to Angel in some ways. I liked the characters. The acting was great. I expect the humor to increase as the show goes on. In this episode Echo needs to bring a man back his daughter but things go terrible and the man is shot. Turns out the person Echo is imprinted with was kidnapped by the same person who kidnapped the girl. So Boyd persuades the leaders at Dollhouse to keep Echo's current personality so she could find a girl and she does. Also in the episode a man called Paul is searching for the organization of Dollhouse. I loved it ! Dark humour,sexy actors and actresses, well written and suspensful. I can't ask for more :D
  • A secret agency offering rich people their greatest fantasy or a much needed service. Dollhouse has actives whose personality is wiped to make way for whatever personality the client wants.

After I've watched the pilot, I must say i was moderately impressed. The pilot wasn't overdone with action. The storyline was interesting enough although the missing girl story is a little old and the fact that **** just happens to be imprinted with the character of a girl who was kidnapped by the same kidnappers is a bit unbelevable. But other than that i thought the sets were cool and sexy. I like all of the Dollhouse stuff characters. I find the fact that they think they are humanitarians very interesting. But the most interesting thing i think will be about Paul Ballard, an FBI agent trying to uncover the Dollhouse. I think this is what will make the show something more than a week to week **** adventure. The fact that **** is remembering her older imprints and that he now is looking for her will make the show a possible hit!
  • The show follows an organization that employs mind-wiped DNA-altered humans known as Dolls who are implanted with false memories and skills for various missions and tasks. When they are not 'at work' they are living in a real life Dollhouse very good sta

The most ancipate tv show in a long time. Joss did a very good job with this show. I had my doubts about it before i watch it and i was impress . Very different show. I want to see Eliza Dushku grow into this character and see what she can do. and can see carry this show. I know this was the first episode and it's in the deadly friday night time slot but it could do some good there. with former Buffy and Angel fans watching this show and see if Joss still has it. I hope he does.
  • Looks completely amazing; a fresh, innovative new show. A new hit for Joss Whedon!

Just watched the newest trailer (http://io9.com/391498/final-dollhouse-trailer-kicks-100-percent-more-ass) and this show looks to be completely awesome! I know I'm going to be watching every episode, and telling all my friends to check it out. The only thing I am nervous about is fox's history of mishandling new shows like this one, especially Whedon's shows. I am going to be seriously peeved if they don't give this show a fighting chance (can we say Firefly??) But I think it will take more than Fox's idiocy to bury this show - with fresh (and even a few) consummate actors, an exciting premise, directors and producers who have numerous successes under their belts and an air time that should actually HELP the show get off its feet, this show is sure to be Fox's new big hit.
  • A new show with Eliza Dusku, I can´t wait to watch it!

It seems to be a great show, I don´t know when it is gonna starts, but it seems to be a very interesting show, and what can I say..., it counts with Eliza Dusku!!!. She is amazing, and with this show we can see her aging in tv. Because, after Tru calling and Buffy the vampire slayer she was a little lost. I think, this show is gona be between mystery and with a lot of questions that will need answer, I don´t know, what can I say?, just that I can´t wait to watch it. I hope you too.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >