Dollhouse

Spy in the House of Love

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 10, 2009 on FOX

• Let's hear that accent again

I felt I had to write a review after seeing what was one of the best episodes so far. I'm working my way through Dollhouse from the start, I watched the pilot a long time ago and never bothered to watch the rest, however I gave it another go and I am now enjoying the series after a false start.

This episode exposes the spy and it turns out to be the head of security that has shown how much he dislikes Echo in previous episodes. It also gives an insight into the process of being sent to the attic for the first time which I found interesting, that plot device had been spoken about for too long without being revealed. We also found out that Victor's lonely heart is in fact Ms de Witt which showed a more human side to her than her previous severe emotionless facade. The other episode where she is high was another favourite of mine because Olivia Williams is a very good actress with a particular sexiness all of her own. One of the best points of this episode for me was a seemingly small insignificant thing, Victor/Roger's accent. This was truly the best attempt by an American actor to actually portray an English accent as it is, compared to the Hollywood version that is often trotted out and is quite simply an insult. Enver Gjokaj should be congratulated for bothering to show us respect by completely nailing it. It was up there with Dominic West who for 2 seasons of The Wire made me think he was American before I read that he was actually English. This sort of attention to detail is why Whedon is so highly regarded and this episode is a classic example of his craft.