A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Rush, rush, rush. That was the impression I got overall. I liked what I saw, but there sure was a lot of it. Maybe it's just me, but the pacing seemed kind of off. There were a lot of episodes where they seemed to be treading water. And then suddenly we get several big changes this episode. William goes nuts. David kills William. Alex and Claire get back together. Arika chooses sides. We find out how the Apocalypse War got started in a bar in Jasper, TX (?). Gabriel learns that Lucifer is alive and we get a bunch of backstory on archangels all of a sudden. We hear much more about Raphael, who we haven't seen. And the war against Lucifer, and how Michael and the others cast him down. And how it's all tied into Mallory.

Tell me if you've heard this one. Three angels come into a bar, and...

I don't object to any of these things. But cramming them all into one episode seemed a bit much. Especially the penultimate episode.

So let's start at the Biblical part of the show. The fight between Michael and Gabriel wasn't... too bad. It dragged on a bit, but both actors put some characterization into it. Michael was clearly fighting defensively, Gabriel was fighting offensively and taking advantage of Michael's failure to go on the attack.

And it ended with Gabriel carrying Michael away (so angels can take at least one passenger!) to find out what's going on in Mallory. The whole Mallory subplot doesn't seem to mesh very well with the main story, but oh well.

We also got a flashback to the first day of the Apocalypse War. It's revealed that Gabriel began the war by breaking the Seventh Seal, and that Noma was working for him and against Michael. So we got backstory that raised a number of backstory questions. Like when did Noma switch sides back again, did Michael ever learn she was with Gabriel, and so on.

In the present, Noma had a few professions of love for Alex. And then dropped into the background as Alex and Claire rediscovered each other. It was a nice callback to the first season, given how much those two characters have been separated this season. It did seem a bit rushed, and it seemed like there was a bit of rewriting from last week. Claire had cut her wrists and was bleeding out alone... and she wakes up pretty much okay with Arika there.

As for Arika, she does a heel turn so abrupt that some viewers might get wind-shear. I liked what one reviewer said, that there were consequences to last week's episode. So Arika got changed by her experiences and decided to become good. There were a few minor rewrites again. Daria ran out of her cell (shouldn't there be a lock on those things?), and Dr. Sarah Ely was there. Where did she come from?

The other big change based on last week's suicide-nightmares was David. I thought this was a much more entertaining and varied performance from Anthony Head. He got to do relief at surviving his execution, to suicidal depression, then earnestness and some confession, then a child-like glee in blowing up eight-balls. And finally back to despair and grief again when he killed William.

I'm hoping that Luke Allen Gale isn't off the show for good. William hasn't been well-served this season, and he was all over the place. First he was a hallucination, then he was a prophet, then he was talking like he was possessed, then he was eating dinner and letting David get captured, then realized that he was delusional, then he (mistakenly) swore revenge on Alex and Claire for tormenting him with nightmares and showing him his true self. And finally, Daddy Dearest shoots him. That's a lot of shifts for 12 episodes.

Just when it seemed like William was going to get rolling on his personal quest to gather an army of followers and wipe out evil... he turns into a nutjob that just opens the one city gate and lets the eight-balls in. Why did they show William gathering followers at the bar if all he was going to do was break into the command center and open the gates?

Arika has that problem, too. It's no wonder Helena is falling apart (literally), if she spends all her time in Vega.

And where did that tunnel come from, anyway? So Vega had an unguarded unmined tunnel that anyone could wander into if they found it. And how did the eight-balls find it?

So there was lots of drama and high stakes this week. A lot of it seemed to be awkwardly set up, like the sudden appearance of a tunnel. It looks like for the finale, we'll get Alex unleashing his eviction powers on the eight-balls (judging from the previews), The Prophet making another appearance, and possibly Lucifer himself. Arika will no doubt get the chance to do something noble and brave, maybe dying in the process. I am curious to see what becomes of David. He was trying his best at the end, but poor dead Jerry and a smashed gate control is the kind of thing that could get him hung again.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
11 Comments
Comments (11)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 30, 2015
This episode was very much like the season...all over the place and too much going on without any continuity.

Firstly, they shoved Noma and Alex down our throats, which was a tough pill for me to swallow because of the supposed undying love Alex had for Claire, but eventually I gave into it especially with her sacrifice of her wings. I was digging them but that rushed reunion at the end was just over the top and seemingly out of character for Alex.
Obviously, the 8-balls found out about the door because of the General. But even that isn't very believable. The general had nothing left to hang on to after Clementine, who wasn't actually his wife, was killed...Uh your daughter, Claire perhaps?
Next, what happened to Julian? It was clear that Lucifer is being introduced to be the big bad of season 3, but they should've wrapped up season 2's big bad a little more before breaking that seal (pun intended).

Which leads me to the worst plot issue of them all. They spent an incredible amount of screen time deepening the relationship between Gabriel and Michael. They essentially watered Gabriel down into a sweet loyal puppy, and then realized they didn't actually have a villain anymore. (at least that's what it seems like). After all that I'm supposed to just accept that Gabriel is this evil power who I want to see destroyed. Let's be honest there is not one bit of dread of Gabriel actually being stopped as this actor is pretty much carrying the show along with David.

This season could have been so good if it wasn't all over the place and knew what it was going to be and how the characters were going to grow from the beginning. Rather than feeling like the writers just through everything at the wall to see what stuck.
More+
Flag
Sep 28, 2015
I agree too much happened. I even thought it was the finale, and then I went, "Well, at least it's over." Then I realized, "oh, no there's one more next week." Oh, well, since I've followed the show until now... But I have just filled up my angel quota. Funny how I loved last season.

By the way, I wonder who is playing Lucifer. I can't help but think of Mark Pellegrino. My three favorite Lucifers on TV have been Mark Pellegrino, Ray Wise and John Glover. Who are yours?
Flag
Sep 28, 2015
That's be about it, if we're talking TV. I liked the guys in Constantine and The Prophecy movies.
Flag
Sep 28, 2015
Those are two of my favorites, as well as they guy who played him in Brimstone.
Flag
Sep 28, 2015
That's John Glover.
Flag
Sep 27, 2015
Yes, the tunnel questions really stood out, but there you go. I thought the fight between Michael and Gabriel went on a little too long, reminding me of that badly done Kal-El/Zod fight sequence that helped drag Man of Steel down, but it did produce some good moments. I was having a hard time buying that Gabriel got the upper hand so decisively though. (also, Carl Beukes may be one of those actors who's good on a stage but has trouble modulating it for film. He's always overacting for my tastes.)

The William stuff was a little confusing, yes... wasn't sure why they did some of the prior stuff when this was his ending. Great episode for Anthony Head, though, yes! And overall, the final scenes between the two were pretty good, except that I wish William's last words were not "No, you didn't" but "another lie...". I could not help making that edit in my head as I think it would have been more effective for both characters.

Oy with the Alex/Claire/Noma love triangle. The writing demeaned all three if you ask me, if they really had to take us there. Re: the flashback and Noma's allegiances, I think it was Gabriel's desire to destroy one of Father's messages to force His hand instead of using it to heal, and his misread of Michael's projected reaction to it that turned her. She didn't seem that conflicted about the Seventh Seal being broken, but she realized she was following a leader who was making reckless and ill-informed decisions--that was what made her turn. And I think she was a part of saving and looking after Alex well before she became his "best friend" in the Vega military.

Happy for Anika that her hallucination has caused an epiphany, however short-lived those things can be by their nature... but who knows, maybe it'll stick since the trigger was an unusually profound look into one's own psyche and not an external feel-good moment. I would like for her to remain alive and truly changed and give us something interesting next season, though it looks like her story is probably done for this one.

Roxanne McKee doesn't bug me so much now, but I could really stand to lose Claire, and if Vega is really about to crumble then it really won't matter who is in charge of the Nothing there. Let's just get rid of both her and Vega, and that pointless power struggle (especially that David is now also seemingly changed) and the manufactured high-school grade love triangles along with them. Let's move on to other, more interesting and important things.

Well, just one more to go! I'm more curious and excited to meet their version of Raphael than I am to see Lucifer at this point in the proceedings. They've spooled Lucifer out at desirable rate so far and I'm ok with us finding out more about his influence before we actually see him. Raphael seems more important right now. I'm wondering if she has had any hand in Alex's inspired evictions (he can't do it on demand, as far as I can tell; the urge and certainty just sort of come over him). It would be cool to see him to a mass eviction, which is what they seem to be winding us up for, yes.
More+
Flag
Sep 27, 2015
So Lucifer was the first angel to choose humanity before even Michael.... Really hoping we see some back story on that. Hope Lucifer isn't going to be like Gabriel, starting out good but now his bad.

I'm guessing the 8-balls know of that tunnel because of Claire's Dad. Now that he his a higher angel in him and all.

Flag
Sep 28, 2015
Yes, but the way they just went in like a neon sign pointed to it instead of looking for it and then finding it is why I was going "WTF?!". I did figure out that the General was the likely culprit in spilling the secret location.
Flag
Sep 27, 2015
That would be my guest, the tunnels aren't a new appearance in the show, It how Alex use to escape the city.
Flag
Sep 26, 2015
Randomly, I think the tunnel Claire was talking about was the one that Alex and she would use, and that she directed Gates to earlier this season. Why they went to a formal gate that is controlled by command, I don't know. But as Gates indicated to us that Vega can't exist must longer, I am not focusing on its geography.

To me too it seemed like a lot of set up and kind of rushed when there were a lot of fillers this season.

But yes, it does seem Alex will try a mass eviction (which is something I have wondered that he didn't try before like when he and Noma were trapped in the supermarket.

Noma is confusing me. Its sort of like she changed sides after she left the diner the first time, unless we are supposed to be doubting that Alex is the child. I mean, Michael didn't catch up with Alex's mother until she was at work at the diner. But is this all guilt or something?

I'm actually not feeling very well, so that's all for me.
Flag
Sep 26, 2015
I'm with you on that tunnel. It, and the 8 balls knowing it's location, was just so out of left field that I'm still reeling! That was a WTF! moment.

I couldn't care less about whatever Arika or her minions are doing.

David and William's interactions were as amazing as they were tragic. I really hope that William survives, but I sincerely doubt it.

The battle at the walls and in the tunnels with Alex, Noma, the survivors and then Claire was all sorts of fun!

But every single scene with Michael and Gabriel was EPIC! I was so engrossed in that scene in the bar, that I didn't even recognize Noma at first. Their comradary, even when at odds, was amazing!

BTW, that information about Rafael was touched on first in the Syfy/Dominion site. I've been finding out lots of back info about the Angels there, and it's been helping fill in the blanks.

I can't wait to see Dominion's version of Lucifer.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members