A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Dominion S01E01: "Pilot"

The first episode of Syfy's new post-apocalyptic drama Dominion was jam-packed with crazy, combining at least a dozen different plots, genre touchstones, and stock character types to produce one of the more, err, "notable" debuts of 2014. 

We could spend all day debating whether or not it's valuable to make a quasi-sequel to a four-year-old film that didn't really take the world by storm, but alas, here we are, and that's exactly what Dominion is: a follow-up, of sorts, to the 2010 movie Legion. While I don't imagine too many of you will be concerned about how the show maintains the true aura of the source material, the pilot was significantly hampered by having to reestablish everything from the film's world on top of doing all the normal work that any TV pilot must do—introducing characters, creating a sense of place, presenting the stakes, etc.

Consequently, even with the extended, 90-minute runtime, Dominion's opening salvo attempted to cover far too much ground, kickstarting E- and F-level stories that will surely matter later but simply didn't add much to an already-stuffed debut. The politics behind who gets to control the energy reactors? Maybe not entirely crucial in the first episode.

Even the core story suffers too many complications. The series takes place 25 years after the war between angels and humans, with humanity simply trying to survive despite the looming angelic threat. Lower-level angels have joined the side of "evil" with Gabriel (Carl Beukes), but to do so, they had to possess human bodies. That means they look especially creepy, sure, but they can't enter Vega, the crowning jewel of the post-God world, and yet they can be controlled by Gabriel, seemingly from any distance. So we're already dealing with multiple levels of possession. 

Similarly, our (thankfully not-so-reluctant) hero, Alex (Christopher Egan), grew up an orphan, mired in the proverbial 99 percent of Vega society. He joined Michael (Tom Wisdom)'s armed forces and saved the lovely and powerful Clare (Roxanne McKee), but he also sleeps in a crappy barracks and has a random spunky kid for a friend. Oh, right, and also he's the son of Jeep (Langley Kirkwood), who returned from presumed death after 14 years and then subsequently died, passing along his mysterious, indecipherable, and ugly tattoos to Alex. So, he's the Chosen One, of something. 

And while I appreciate that Dominion isn't too interested in dragging out a bunch of lame mysteries regarding the identity of the Chosen one, this was merely the first episode of the show. The pilot didn't even establish the bond between Alex and Michael, and we already know that the former is not supposed to trust the latter. 

And I haven't even addressed...

... the consistent allusions (visual and in dialogue) to the role of religion and the war machine in a post-apocalyptic society

... the discussion of a literal caste system

... the mysterious angel children

... the different, SUPER angels

... the arranged marriages

... Michael's participation in classy orgies

... the full-scale riots

... the multiple characters who don't actually have much to do yet

... or the a sizable swerve in the final seconds of the episode. 

That's right, ALL THE THINGS happened in this opener. It's not that the various elements were all bad, per se. Some of them certainly were—Dominion's attempts to mix politics, religion, and military industrial complex rhetoric was rough. However, the key issue here is that none of the stories really had any time to introduce themselves, let alone develop over the course of the episode. If you told me that one of the angels threw a kitchen sink at Michael, I'd believe you, because this is the most kitchen-sinkiest pilot I've seen in a very long time.

In addition to all the plot and thematic elements, Dominion's pilot managed to present us with more basic cable nudity (hello, butts) and sexual situations (Anthony Stewart Head's David took some creepy/borderline assault-y actions toward Shivani Ghai's Akira in the tub) than usual, delivered by actors who have no problem buzzsawing through their scenes with real, uh, gusto. Head has no business portraying David with an American accent, but the dude was TURNT UP here, right? Alan Dale isn't in full shouty mode yet, but he'd still be no contest for whatever it is that Head was doing. (Some of Dominion's other cast members—especially Egan, Wisdom, and McKee—are being asked to provide something much different, and generally speaking, their energy was more much subdued.) 

All told, no one can say that Dominion isn't flat-out GOING FOR IT. What 'it' is, I'm not entirely sure yet, and I'm not sure that I actually like it, but I really, really want to see how the show tries to reach it in the coming weeks.

REVEALED IN THE TATTOOS

– Serious question: What does Dominion look like in Episode 2? It doesn't feel like there's a clear procedural storytelling engine, so is it simply a full-blown serial from the get-go? That's interesting in its own right, given the kind of shows Syfy has brought to the airwaves recently.

– I'll be curious to hear what you guys thought of the visual effects. The pilot screener I viewed was extremely unfinished, so I currently can't speak to that stuff. The set design is... okay. I understand what the show is going for, but it's a little boring. It's also challenging, because Dominion is shooting in Cape Town but has Las Vegas as its primary setting, so the pilot has so many establishing shots. Big ups to the MGM Grand for squeezing in a lot of not-so-secret love, eh? (At least on my version.)

– Bixby, the little girl, is kind of awful. No fault of the actress; she's just not a particularly interesting character.

THE 10 MOST RIDICULOUS ELEMENTS OF DOMINION'S PREMIERE

1. Basically everything that came out of David's mouth, but particularly the line, "Religious theater is one thing; this is politics."

2. The fact that the angels at the beginning of the episode were actually just playing Texas Hold 'Em when Alex stumbled upon them

3. Angels possessing little kids so that they can infiltrate the lives of high-ranking officials 

4. Las Vegas being called "Vega"

5. The outfit of the angel who Michael fought in the climax of the episode (someone saw Thor and really liked what Idris Elba was wearing)

6. The first tattoo reveal was "BEWARE THOSE CLOSEST TO YOU," as if that's really great wisdom and not bumper sticker philosophy

7. Senator Thorn's dress at the jubilee (I would've voted for her)

8. There were legitimate debates involving the word "jubilee"

9. The reveal that William Weel (Luke Allen Gale) is probably an angel and working with Gabriel

10. Michael wears a bluetooth earpiece 

Of course, there are roughly 73 other things I could've named—share your favorites in the comments!

Did you enjoy this first episode? Will you be back for Episode 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/1/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

324 Comments
Comments (324)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This review is absolutely bullshit they should fire who ever wrote it . I loved it i loved legion and This tops it way to go scy fy , screw the haters watched all episodes so far i would invite anyone to watch this . Amazing. Well done .
Flag
Like infinitesimile, I wonder where Lucifer fits in the show. I would assume he is going to show up sometime. Maybe he forces Gabriel and Michael into an alliance!
Flag
I like the show so far. It's easy to get lost in translation if you're somebody who can't keep up with anything 1 subplot deep. For that I will tell you to go watch the Oprah Winfrey Network. But I like fast-paced stories that deliver lots of context, as long as they lead to somewhere interesting; which fall in-line with the overall story.

Interesting questions that immediately came to mind after the pilot:
  1. How many types of angels are there and what would they look like?
  2. Where are the demons?
  3. Where is Lucifer in all of this?
  4. Will any angels (or demons) join Michael?
  5. Where are the other archangels?
Hope they plan the years to come well and not get too far off track like Supernatural.
Flag
I was excited to hear that there was going to be a show about Angels helping our embattled species ….. And then DOMINION aired …. sigh

Conclusion? The only saving grace I could find for this show was Actor Tom Wisdom as Archangel Michael. He is totally believable, enjoyable to watch and with fine acting miraculously manages to bring some class to the show ~ he belongs on PBS. Savior Egan is pleasantly okay but totally miscast.

And that is as good as it gets. Archangel Gabriel's crew is laughable. Armored angels look like they belong in an old Godzilla movie. Frantic crowd scenes and series wardrobe could be easily overshadowed by the 1996 hit “Mars Attacks” and the nude scenes are a cheap peep show nightmare.

In closing, and if we’re lucky, a future episode will produce an Archangel who will arise and use his talents to cleanse the network of their ineffective efforts thus far … and in doing so obtain and retain a good intelligent fan base … and then, just maybe, the Father will return and the series redeemed. But Archangel Michael “Tom Wisdom” may not want to be bothered …. And if he agrees to stick around to help with the major reparation needed ~ that would be a miracle indeed. We can only pray …
It is a nice concept .... hoping they can clean it up ~ but for now, I think the Father must be very disappointed ...

More+
Flag
Eh, maybe, I dunno.

I liked:

-Angels being angels. And by that I mean, angels showing up means BAD things NOT good things. As far as I can remember from my much omitted religious knowledge, angels only showed up to preform acts of genocide or drop a truly horrendous proclamation on someone that they had to adhere to or be smote or generally terrorized by God for disobedience.

-The security system Vega had going on.
-The Delphi (?) ladies. I want to see how they live more than the too familiar set-up of Vega.
-Michael is a hot piece in a show lacking in hot pieces.
-Senator Thorn's tatas

What I didn't like:

-Angels inexplicably deciding to go after mankind after God fucked off
-Alex is bland and the actor is too unattractive to distract from the bad dialogue he has to spout
-The love square. Just no. Well I guess it's not really a love square, because two people are in "love" and the other two are their respective passive-aggressive, stalkerish, rejected suitors!
-Chemistry-free Romeo and Juliet and their star-crossed-I-don't-give-a-fuck problems
-Lesbians that conveniently become bisexual for power or babies!
-Caste systems that only serve to stagnant a society
-Alex's pet moppet
-Jeep dying! I was expecting a little more Michael/Jeep warrior!bromance
-Michael feeling sad and anxious about sex, though I commend him for fretting over making babies, but maybe use a condom, dude. If they have nuclear reactors, they have condoms. Also, if anyone is going to be carrying potential monster hybrids on this show, I want it to be Michael, lol. I'm tired of supernatural beings/aliens functioning just like humans.
-ASH terrible American accent. Channeling Dick Cheney, but some how MORE ridiculous.
-ASH still being a scheming dick in a world where it's a real possibility that he will spend eternity either being tortured in heaven by rogue angels or tortured in hell for his earthly misdeeds.
-OK, I didn't dislike this, it actually cracked me up. Gabriel living it up in frozen over Hell, Colorado!
-Also, strangely hilarious, Michael taking a whip to Alex. I mean, really?
More+
Flag
We loved the first episode! Just like the majority in the comments here, I do think this review is harsh and done hastily.
Flag
Beware or those closest to you? I think that's Claire. I have a bad feeling about her....
Flag
I really wished the message had been in cursive and Alex not being able to read it!

Flag
I think this review is harsh. The show was entertaining, and I loved it. I hope it can keep up the momentum, and not have to sit and pander to the people who can't seem to pick up on simple ideas expressed in a different way. I also LOVE the fact that Alex is revealed as the chosen one right away! I hate when shows draw out revelations like that when it is so obvious. All in all I guess I am sick of picking apart shows piece by piece. Especially because this show seems to be either a love it or hate it thing.
Flag
so much has already been said. hubby likes it. i'm going to give it the 4 episode test, I suppose. but i can't get over tony head w/o an english accent. it was most distracting to me.
Flag
Also, though I just found this out myself...Jeep isn't Alex's dad. That's probably the only point from the original Legion movie that may prove important....Jeep took care of Alex and his mom, but his father was not identified in the source material AFAIK.

Given the rather hamfisted foreshadowing Michael made about fathering children, its entirely possible that Alex is half angel himself, possibly Gabriel's son if not Michael's.

Flag
I was wondering that myself. Half-angel potential, hmmm...
Flag
I think perhaps the most insightful review of this series pilot compared it to BSG...I think that's probably what the execs were going for here - "Lets make BSG again, only do it with angels instead of robots in space". It seems to be establishing that same focus on politics and character relationships....I was hoping it would be a little more like SG1 (as you might tell from my avatar), in the sense of being more about developing story arcs and fighting the angels, playing up the "Us vs Them, war against impossible odds" aspect of it, rather than the "Everyone's a rotten bastard by the end" aspect.

It also, to me, evoked the corny sci-fi of the 70s, things like Logan's Run...changing Las Vegas to "Vega", the Crystal Dragon Jesus religion that developed seemingly in one generation, the "Romans in Space" fashion and décor. It just seemed like they were trying to make things different just for the sake of "ooooh its the futuuuuure!!"

The politics played out very derivative of Dune, too, with the feuding houses, the Bene Gesser...err, Inara the Companio....err, the Arabic women from Helena (? as in Montana?), even the little girl who looked like Alia putting a Gom Jabbar into Jeep.
More+
Flag
Oh, shit. I was kinda cheering for this one. Hoping SyFy would go back to its Battlestar Galatica origins, but it looks like the show is gonna end up being another excuse to cram more nonsense reality shows on the channel. Also, David's gotta be the worst written villain ever.
Flag
God being AWOL, angels needing human bodies, angels as the bad guys, etc. -- does anyone know whether Legion/Dominion stole this stuff from Supernatural or if it's vice versa? Thanks!
Flag
9. The reveal that William Weel (Luke Allen Gale) is probably an angel and working with Gabriel. I didn't think he was an angel. I thought he was one of the angel followers that he and his father had been speaking about earlier in the episode.
Flag
I have mixed feelings about that. I think it is clear, that angels can sense other angels, Michael knew, that fat lady was in the cage, he also sensed Gabriel controlling that angel. But at the same time he didn't blink about the boy, who turned out angel offspring. Maybe William is also angel offspring?
Flag
the boy isnt a angel offspring. he is a higher power angel from the second ring that can turn into a human. like the angel in the red suit. thats why micheal couldnt sense him
Flag
Ok... So.. Umm.. that was weird? I even watched Legion first so I would be caught up. Because you know if you didn't watch Legion you'd have no idea that Jeep was Lucas Black's character. In fact.. I kinda wanted it to be actually Lucas Black. And was sorely disappointed because it seems they only hired British actors to play Americans. I have a special place in my heart for Chris Egan (KINGS!) and felt like I was watching Kings because of the special effects..and obvious similar storylines.
Flag

I liked it. Yes, the show had some weak points, especially in the beginning. But there was a whole lot of world building in the first 20 minutes, so I waded through the exposition and began to enjoy it as it the story tightened up midway through the episode. By the end of the episode I was hooked, even though I had figured what's-his-face was a member of the angel worship cult early on.

Of course, I also loved the movie Legion, have seen it multiple times and have the DVD. Both Legion and The Prophecy trilogy of movies (the 1st movie is also a fave) have similar premises, though different executions. In fact, I always thought The Prophecy would've made a better series than the sequels did as movies. So Dominion should do fairly well as long as the writers don't lose focus on the different plot lines. It could become an amazing series, or it could go down the rabbit hole pretty quickly. However, I'll stay in for at least this season.

Flag
Judging by the comments, this looks to be quite a polarising show. I, for one, actually enjoyed the pilot and thought the review a little harsh.
Flag
Considering all the utter rubbish that is on TV at the moment (hello TB final season premiere), this review is a bit harsh ridiculing the show and barely describing what happened.

I never saw Legion the film and sure Dominion has plenty of crazy stuff and probably not all of it make complete sense but I thought it was entertaining... Come on it is a show about angels vs. humans so for sure the characters will spew crazy shit and have silly tattoos, orgies etc. There may be plenty of cliches but I am still interested in how things play out and sure characters like Michael, the possibly self-hating angel siding with humans or Alex & Claire the star crossed lovers may be 'stock characters' but they were already pretty compelling... So I may be the only one but I am certainly checking out the next episode. There were loads of plot lines that seemed only barely introduced but I will be happy to keep watching and find out what that may lead... It is not as if there is so much good TV to see right now...
Flag
I agree its quite entertaining. It's a damn sight better than I expected, and has some impressive effects. Its definitely watchable, which is cool cause I just watched the third consecutive filler episode of Penny Dreadful, and didnt even bother watching True Blood. I'll pick TB up later.
Flag
Stopped watching after 5 min. This is the first time i did this for a new show. The problem was? No story at all. Even the classic ultraman can beat this show. Ok that was harsh. Even once upon a time can beat this. Harsher? Harshest? Lol
Flag
iccaruz: This says more about you than it does the episode.
Flag
No story at all? After 5 minutes??? Are you stupid or what? First 2 minutes was intro, next 3 minutes we saw some guy in abandoned warehouse. What kind of story you want from first 5 minutes?
Flag
Hahaha your heart man. watch out for that pressure it's going to burst any minute. hahaha
Flag
Try to watching the pilot again. Perhaps at some point when youre extremely bored. Its not bad really. I hate 99% of everything on tv, especially tv sci-fi.
Flag
for you ill try. Maybe I'm just too disappointed with the effects. the movie legion just keep on popping on and for me it doesn't live up to the movie at all.
Flag
Quiite possibly the silliest, worst-acted show in recent history. With roman clothing for women, angels with fake wings who "fight" by throwing fireballs, awful plot, absurd action and dialogue fitting for a middle school it just got worse. I was actually embarrassed for the poor actors who were obviously aware of their mistake. My grade - F
Flag
So I guess you failed to realize why they were dressed the way they were?
Of course they were fake wings. You do realize that angels with real wings don't exist, right?
Flag
I agree with the review. For those who loved it, please sit back and enjoy it while it remains on air--- for a very limited run. Maybe Sci-fi should leave the demon v angels battles to a fish related channel and concentrate on making good science fiction.
Flag
Wait..... Syfy makes good science fiction? Have you been under a rock since BSG ended?
Flag
That's what I mean, they should "concentrate" on making good sci-fi. They're obviously not at the moment. Cheers.
Flag
What is this caca you are spewing out??!! I absolutely loved this series pilot! I like the good vs.evil, angels against demons movies and series! I look forward to seeing what's to arise from Dominion! I recommend it highly!
Flag
Definitely surprised, I loved it.
Flag
This show was very good and I was shocked at the visual effects I didn't think SyFy would spend that much money on a show,also I was confused at the beginning about what makes the ''chosen one'' special ?who is his mother was his father his bio dad ? the mythology at the beginning when describing the events that took place between the angels and humans it just says Michael hide a boy to be known as the chosen one.I guess the trained him well since he didn't reveal what the tattoos said haha so god dissappeared lol ''higher angels''
Flag
I was surprised I actually liked this hopefully it gets even better.
Flag
Dune meets Kings with angels
Flag
That actually sounds freaking awesome.

It was blasphemy that Kings was cancelled. Netflix or Amazon should pick that up and run with it.
Flag
I liked this, I will keep watching. Not bad at all.
What's up with this review?
I don't understand the half glass empty approach, there is no mention of even one good point.
Effects were kind of good actually, for a TV show that is.
Flag
Agreed, this was not a review but an exercise in ridiculing - see list at the end... like we couldn't make one like that for nearly any TV show out there, esp of the sci fi / supernatural variety
Flag
i liked it,im gonna keep watching to see where it goes but for me its ok so far
Flag
I had low expectations for this pilot but I was surprised how good most of this first hour looked, this is SyFy, yes, but thankfully it's more like BSG than Helix or Defiance...
The Reviewer, let's call him Cory, does his best to ridicule everything, even the strong parts, and normally I'm fine with that, opinions and all, but I have a hard time in understanding why there is almost no mentioning of the good sides of this pilot... could it be that he had to watch an unfinished version with no or beta effects? That could explain a lot actually. Especially a fantasy/scifi/post-apocalyptic(the term really fits for this one, lol, post-apocalyptic) show relies more heavily on the looks and the use of effects than other shows. But still, I don't mind more than one story-line, especially in a serialized concept and I think it's necessary to address those in the pilot - what else should they have done? Showing the senator Thorn dressing up? I think the actors(minus Bixby - sorry girl but you suck) did a great job in this, I don't mind Head's accent, the set design, the costumes, the visual language seems consistent and fitting, the producers stole a lot, but from the right products I think, for example, the women from the other state, and especially the (angel-possessed) kid, and Vega's uniforms reminded me of Lynch's Dune movie, the Rome-aesthetics, the male lead and the set design overall reminded me of the short lived series Kings(which I liked too), so to steal from the right stuff can create a huge success potentially, Harry Potter has proven that.
What I didn't like was the fighting-suit of the Angels 2.0 and his moves, the girl Bixby, that one scene when they came in clothes from the showers to their lockers(?) and the child/man of prophecy to save us all thingee.
More+
Flag
I'm kind of surprised by the review - I find open/unaddressed issues in a show premiere great, as long as they don't stay that way in the coming episodes. They give the show the possibility to grow and have a storyline next to humans and angels slaughtering each other. Additionally they didn't really bother me that much.

So contrary to the reviewer the unresolved issues actually make me look forward to the next episodes.
Flag
What kind of review is this?....you're basically telling us not to watch this show anymore
Flag
At no point did he tell people not to watch the show. All he said was that he can´t tell yet where the show is supposed to go and that the pilot was far too overloaded with stuff.
And I have to agree with him. Not every minor storyline has to be introduced in the first episode. You can space it out over 2 or 3 episodes and get people used to the world and it´s people before establishing everything. Pilots in general are already overloaded with information because they have to establish a lot. There is absolutely no need to go overboard with "unnecessary" information as well.
Flag
I totally agree with the review, but have one fundamental addition, I enjoyed the pilot much much more than I did Legion. (The naked shower scene certainly did not hurt). I agree though the episode was all over the shop and threw in to much. Plus what a waste of Anthony Head! My final point, does Syfy only employ Australian's in lead roles now. Between this and defiance, we seem to be taking over the channel.
Flag
I think the I'm on the same page as this review. But the tldr summary is its a hot mess. The opening 5min was ok but then the producers decided they needed to info dump just about everything we needed to know about this world in 90min because apparently there aren't any novels we can read for backstory. It was messy but I was intrigued about the intercity politics and internal power struggle. A bit of basic cable nudity was thrown in with strategic placement of arms and legs. All that was missing was a convenient mist cloud and the creators would have made Japanese anime proud. It all felt a bit game of throne-y in a subdued way. Which isn't a good thing if you're following suit several years behind.

That all went sideways when rich and powerful were perched on high announcing marriages between two houses. All I can say at this point is I'm glad GoT is on hiatus. Seems like SyFy did a bit of strategic positioning in their launch of Dominion; if you're going to do some coattail riding and all... you've got to do it right.
Flag
I didn't hate this show, and it was hardly as bad as the early reviews made it out. Sure, there's an insanely long list of things they can improve on, but hey, that's almost every show on Syfy right now.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree there were 2 very compelling things to take away from this episodes; Rosalind Halstead's impeccably amazing cleavage, and, well.... after that, who really cares what else went on during the episode?
Flag
Her dress at the Jubilee made me miss about 20 minutes of dialogue. Holy sweet baby Jeebus that was hot!

The link I put here to the io9 review still teases the show for the goofiness - but it also talks all about why you should love the show. Check it out.
Flag
A good example how to review a pilot without any biased bashing.
Flag
As i have come to realize - it is really my fault since I am aware of Cory's style. There are writers at AICN that are the same way and I have been smart enough to know - if I liked the show, i shouldn't read "so and so's" review because I will get mad. MAtt Goldberg at Collider is that way. The whole style is to rip something down. Cory is a really good writer. He is. It is his style of dissecting a show that takes the fun out of it for me. As I said - it would not frustrate me to point out the silly - because there was a lot to tease. But also I wanted to read about where the silliness WORKS. That the multiple plot lines and threads and characters creates this high paced fun that is in its favor. But - maybe he didn't feel that way. In the end, I just should have known better and not read someone whose style is going to annoy me.
Flag
I realize some shows need to be ripped on. But I just think the whole idea of THIS site is to emphasize the FUN of television. And there is so much fun to be had here in the craziness.
Flag
I was negatively biased towards this show - but the execution, the craziness and the whole magnitude of showing us this fantasy-apocalyptic world swayed me over to be on board so far. I've seen so many bad pilots in the last ten years, this wasn't one of them. When I come here and read Cory's take on it, not only couldn't I agree on it (except Bixby, lol), but he failed to convince me of the weaknesses - if the reviewer takes a bold stance in (mostly) condemning it, we should express our disbelief and I think that's alright with the reviewer too - maybe that was the goal in the first place. But it is a major turn-off for the fans as it would be for the haters too, if it's vice versa. Maybe the show improves further and Cory will be swayed over, at least he's interested in the things to come. If not, the haters will stay in the majority and the fans have to go to the communities, nothing new lol. In Cory's defense(I can't believe I'm writing this, ha ha) he saw a version with basically no special effects and especially with scifi/fantasy shows, the effects are an integral part of selling the story - but then again, he could have taken that into deeper consideration before judging it...
More +
Flag
I liked it and already did a bunch of replies to other comments (in support of the show) so I will be brief here and just say the main thing that bothered me:
I wasn't a fan of how Dominion says "God disappeared" and "the angels blame humans for God disappearing" . I preferred the movie (Legion) version where God wanted to wipe out humanity (tired of the bullshit) and Michael defied his orders. God said fuck humanity then changed his mind after Michael "died" protecting The Chosen one.
Anyway, good pilot and not that complicated or ridiculous for sci-fi. Judge for yourself!
Flag
I was impressed with the pilot. Especially the special fx. Armored angels and overweight wall crawlers? That stuff shouldve looked awful, but it was nicely done. The story isnt bad either. Very impressive for SYFY channel. If they maintain the level of quality I'll follow this show.
Flag
You aren't easy to please, either, Ant! High praise indeed. I wonder how much money they put into this in comparison to say, Warehouse 13?
Flag
I never saw W13, but Dominion pilot definitely looked much more costly than the usual sci-fi fare. It had some great elements. I might watch Legion again just to freshen up on the mythology.
Flag
Yeah - I had never watched it and did right after seeing this. I was disppointed the show retconned the whole premise of why the angels attacked in the movie (you can see the big debate Vicky and I had - and she was 100% right and I was wrong). The TV show has the angels here and wanting to wipe out humanity because God left. They feel like if they kill us all He will come back. The movie - God ordered the destruction but changed His mind due to Michael's sacrifice.
Flag
I agree with you on the premise of the movie and the show, I liked the movie's premise better. I wish it would've been based more on the angels rebelling against God changing his mind.
Flag
I like your idea!
Flag
We PM'd about this, but I'll put it here for others. After rewatching Dominion and bits of Legion.

• God had it with Humanity and sent the Angels to exterminate them as he once did with the flood.
  • Michael saw the simple goodness in a man like Jeep - unselfish love toward Charllie and her baby, that he chose to fight for humans
  • When Michael sacrificed himself at the end, God changed his mind about wiping out humanity due to Michael's unselfish act.
  • Not sure why the baby was special, other than what the Jeep and Michael did to help it survive. But my guess it is the product of Charlie/Angel sex. A Nephilim.
  • After humanity was saved, God saw what they were still doing to each other and gave up. But instead of wiping them out - He just left.
  • It was said in the show Gabriel's Angels thought that is they got rid of mankind for good - God would return to them.
So that ties together the happy ending from the movie and then how it all went to shit in the show again.
Flag
just give your side! lol

my interpretation:
The tv show and the movie are different in this point. The tv show clearly said God abandoned everyone AND THEN THE ANGELS WENT TO WAR. God didn't come back in the tv show and God never left in the movie. This was clearly explained at the start of the show "god abandoned them all and the angels blamed mankind" AND THEN THEY WENT TO BATTLE HUMANS FOR GOD LEAVING. The angels did not war until god abandoned them. No where does it say God left and then came back and then left again! That may be a creative way of putting the two together and maybe that will play out but it doesn't work for me.

The tv show took creative license and after you re-watch the first couple minutes of the tv show and still don't agree then let is just agree to disagree!
Flag
I'm not sure the original premise has been completely thrown out, and I think putting Jeep in this episode clearly connects him and Alex to the characters from the movie. While the premise of the series is different from the movie, there should be enough shared elements between the two.
Flag
I have to retcon the reton.

Vicky is right. They toss out the movie ending totally. The whole basic premise actually.

In the movie - God changes his orders because of Michael's sacrifice.
- On TV, he never gave any orders, just disappeared. God didn't order human destruction...that was an angel decision to see if it would convince God to come back.

So now it is hard to understand why Alex is was so important back then if God never saw the kid as special. We have to believe he special totally on Michael's word and the crazy tattoos.
Flag
My interpretation of 'Beware those closest to you' is that maybe Michael is the big bad.

To me it is obvious that Michael wants to control William and he wants to be human. Maybe god didn't 'disappear' maybe he hasn't been involved in human affairs since the movie.
Flag
It is almost done downloading and I will watch the beginning again. I hate retconning. I guess i just wanted to be right. It sure doesn't explain why the angels have done nothing for 25 years or why they stopped the attack 25 years ago. If God was gone the whole time, how did Michael return after dying and why did the attack stop then?

retconning it to this doesn't make sense. But I just got done tying up PMs and it is 4am. So I think my will re-watch it with a clear head tomorrow.
Flag
Almost forgot, there is also a timeline coincidence here. Is it possible that William was born at the same time god disappeared? It would explain why William is the only one who can 'read' tattoos that magically decipher themselves and create readable text.
Flag
I would have liked "your" version more, it makes the movie Legion a prequel to this show and Michael Egan is the grown baby from the end of the movie... and God is more "evil", lol.
Flag
it was awesome!!! better than the movie and i can't w8 4 ep 2!!!!!!
Flag
I liked it.
Yes there were some weak points, but I expect that from a pilot/first episodes.

6.5-7/10
Flag
Its a watchable show, defintely.
Flag
Nice original take on a Big Bad. Angels as our enemy. Pretty cool (or not if you are the humans involved)
Flag
I'm more 7.5 - 8/10. It had some weak points, mainly in the beginning, but then started to whip itself into shape (pun intended) by the midpoint and ended well.
Flag
That is a fair grade for a pilot that had to do so much world building considering the movie had to be tied in. Fair grade. I put it a 8.5/10 on just the goofy fun factor.
Flag
As long as it doesn't get as goofy as Helix - if it does, I'm gone
Flag
Agreed ...well - as long as it doesn't take itself as seriously as Helix tried to. I can handle if they just go Sleepy Hollow and embrace the fact they are doing goofy, I can tolerate it.

The joke about the "Texas hold 'em" leads me to believe they will just wink and nod and let us have fun with it. But we shall see.
Flag
They handled that gag well, it gave the line "They were playing Texas Hold'Em - true story.." - my worry is Anthony Stewart Head's character.
He knows Angels exist, so he knows God exists but is unwilling to accept a Chosen One - I find the logic used to make him a baddie a bit lazy.
I get that he is about power and control - it just could have been handle better
Flag
I actually liked it and didn't find it hard to follow at all... you must have been tired when you saw this... or you're used to see Reality Shows and think they are the standard for plot threads on a series... kidding... am i?

Flag
Ummmm.

No.
Flag
Reviewed by Cory Barker, a man who doesn't let facts, information, or actual viewing get in the way of writing his reviews and recaps.
Flag
I went in with low expectations but it is actually not bad. The premise for the show is ridiculous and might even be offensive to religious people. Everything about God and Angels are so wrong.

However It surpass my expectations and most of it are quite enjoyable.

Unlike Cory, I liked shows that have many things happening at the same time and this premiere never had a dull moment. They throw everything in, they were lots of actions and nothing was confusing.

I rather know who is the chosen one than to wait twelve episodes to find out.

I will continue watching and unless they gear towards even more crazy, I am watching till the end.
Flag
They do a good job of embracing the crazy. Outside of "Angel" and "God" they don't really bother with the"source material" (bible). And that is fine by me. These are the Old Testament Angels that loved to smite. They were brutal sons of bitches and I like they are characterized as warriors.

This has the campy craziness of Helix - except Helix made the mistake of taking itself seriously with the CDC and PhDs that made decisions like they were brain injury victims.
Flag
I am afraid I couldn't take more than 20 min or so... just to watch Anthony Head and that was it. I found the premise particularly nonsensical.

I will go ahead and re-watch Buffy, Manchild or even Merlin so I can take my ASH fix and that's it. See you round guys...
Flag
I saw a comment, where someone told that he/she was bored after 2 minutes in and turned tv off after 15 minutes. Really? How stupid can one be? 2 minutes in and we have only heard narration and seen some guy getting to car. What on earth can happen with 2 minutes???

You americans keep supporting stupid ass tv garbage like Ghost Hunters or WWE, but cancel good and/or fun shows all the time. SGU, Alphas, probably Dominion...
Flag
I liked it!

Cory is just angry, lol
Flag
As J_pip said "Color me intrigued" I like that they didn't drag out the who is the Chosen One thing cause the repercussions of him appearing are more interesting to me. I don't mind the many things introduced, and the crazy or not knowing "what the show is" Who cares about labels.
Flag
I just watched and I cant wait to see what happens next. Oh, this story has the potential to go horribly and insanely wrong, but it also has the potential to be that wacky, nuts, off-kilter hit no-one sees coming. Lets see which one it will be!
Flag
Just a different take on the Pilot ep over at io9

We Saw Syfy's Super Weird Angel Drama Dominion, And We Kind Of Love It
Flag
IF you are looking into whether to give it a chance @Vicky8675309 - this review was more of "good far surpassed the bad approach" to reviewing it. IT does a nice job of teasing the silly while pointing out all that is right about it.
Flag
I liked it.a lot! Probably because I'm a fan of movies and tv-series involving angels and demons. I only hope Lucifer and his fallen angels will also join the battle because that will make it even more interesting. I got bored with Supernatural about 2 seasons ago and this will probably be an excellant replacement. So yes, I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
Flag
All right, so I liked it. They did try to do a lot for viewer to stick with them for at least one of the stories but I think very selected people will be amongst the first regulars, which depends how 2nd episode will be like.

To me, honestly it felt like Sy-Fy's answer to the Game of Thrones. And I am not madly in love ith that series, but while watching I can't shake that feeling. They hyped up the word 'sexual' too much, they did show something, but as you already said in the review it is nothing extraordinary.

I think all the stories they started will cannabis each others and very soon we will have only 3 to 4 stories left.
Flag
I liked the pilot enough to want to continue. Lots of interesting plots to follow and I like the whole angel war much like Prophecy, which I loved. This is a fantasy genre and is supposed to allow one to use their imagination. I am. I hope you are too. If not, maybe you should try another genre for your entertainment.
Flag
I always thought Legion took its ideas from the The Prophecy trilogy of movies. And since this show is the sequel to Legion, it should hopefully include some concepts from The Prophecy.
Flag
Pretty interesting stuff. Color me intrigued.
Flag
:-)
Flag
I think the procedural aspect of the show could rise from those tattoos.. like a case of the week "I'm the savior" of a small little thing each time. Hopefully I'm wrong, I prefer serial for this type of story. I like that there is a lot going on, doesn't matter that is packed. Otherwise, it might have been too silly to watch. Let's see how it continues...
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members