A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Dominion S01E03: "Broken Places"

We're still very early in Dominion's run, but "Broken Places" felt a little bit like a transitional episode. Not to say that this was a slow hour; it was, however, one where characters were making deals and scheming for things that might not pay off for a number of episodes. In fact, it's a good sign that Dominion could churn out an episode like this while keeping the story moving forward. I wouldn't necessarily say that Episodes 2 and 3 have been EXCITING, but I'm impressed at how easily the show took its foot off the gas pedal after the pilot without turning into an exposition-heavy slog. 

If last week's episode was all about the actors finding more comfort and rhythm in their performances, "Broken Places" was about the writing catching up to the performances. For a show that started so haywire, this episode did a solid job in exhibiting the different shades of these characters. Even clearly villainous folks like Gabriel and David were given a couple of moments to appear more likable, or at least more invested in the value of relationships with other people (or angels). Thus, while David has no problem throwing his weight around and threatening Arika using his caged lion (not a metaphor), he also seemed at least partially concerned about her emotional state once he discovered her sister's head in a box. Apparently Arika's wife has seen Se7en

Similarly, this episode began with Gabriel destroying a diner full of innocent humans just to prove to William that he needs to be unafraid of the blood and death that's surely to come in this war, but it also ended with the villainous angel taking out one of his own just to prove that no one gets to his brother Michael. Heck, even the traitor William was given more time this week so that we could see that some (though I don't know how much) of his allegiance to Gabriel stems from a real belief that he can bring God back to Earth. He also, surprisingly, really wanted to respect Claire's wishes regarding the wedding. Though these weren't massive moments and these characters are still likely to serve as the show's primary antagonists, the less cartoonish they are, the better, especially if Dominion is going to continue to take itself this seriously.

Two of the show's "good guys" made concessions that are going to have long-term consequences for the story. After ignoring her father's wishes in the last episode and berating him about his attempts to look strong politically in the aftermath of the high angel attack, Claire agreed to marry the craven William. That's a big sacrifice to be made in the name of installing "basic human rights" into Vega, particularly when dangerous scumbags like David Whele are plotting in secret (and only barely so) to keep Vega the way it is, and to remove General Riesen from power. 

Meanwhile, Alex's escape from Vega didn't last long, as Michael found out and convinced The Chosen One to take a drive to what ended up being his childhood home—or at least the place where Jeep would take him when not driving himself mad trying to understand the tattoos. These sequences worked well enough, despite an excess in exposition. Not only did Alex have visions about his father's drunken nights trying to crack the tattoo code, but then Michael had to deliver long descriptions of what happened to Jeep, Alex's mother, and so on. We can give those sort of monologues a pass because this is information that Alex didn't totally know himself, and because both Tom Wisdom and Christopher Egan sold the material, but there was quite a bit of "I did this and that for you, you just didn't know it"-type stuff and that can wear thin. Nevertheless, Alex's choice to ride with Michael didn't end up going so well, as the bad-ass angel in the red suit, Furian, appeared again for another brawl with Michael and this time, Big Red took it home. 

Clearly Michael isn't going to die, and even the idea of a mortal stab wound this early in the show is kind of lame. However, that move did signal that this powerful being could be gone at any time, leaving the humans to fend for themselves. That highlights Michael's importance but also suggests that Alex is going to have to get his crap together to not just to provide protection or guidance or whatever to everyone in this abstract, Chosen One way, but for those he actually holds close. The show can't waste too much time with him completely refusing the call to action and Michael's sudden injuries are likely the catalyst to get Alex going down the savior path.

Last week, I wondered about the kind of show Dominion was going to become. "Broken Places" tells me that on a week-to-week basis, the show won't operate on the level of insanity seen in the pilot episode and in fact, it might be time to write off the messiness of that first episode as simply a byproduct of having to deal with a complicated premise, the relationship to Legion's narrative, and more. This version of the show isn't spectacular or even good yet, but the people involved are clearly starting to figure out what they want Dominion's story to be and what kind of things they can do to produce the best version of that story. Reigning in the acting and sharpening up the characters in Episodes 2 and 3 are fine ways to make that happen, but it does still feel like something is missing. From here, the challenge will be trying to weave some of those bigger themes and concepts alluded to in the first episode back into this version of Dominion. The budget isn't big enough to make this an all-out action extravaganza and the writers don't seem too interested in turning into a more playfully aware dumb show. It can't just be plot. But Dominion has been better every week thus far. That's a good sign, right?

NOTES

– After last week's big cliffhanger, not a whole lot was said here about General Riesen and his angel sidepiece. She seemed resentful of how he spoils her in that it keeps her away from the rest of her kind, but there's certainly more to be explored there. But he did tell Claire about his illness, so that's something. Wouldn't shock me to learn that his relationship and his illness are related somehow. 

– David presented a plan to Senator Thorne that would ask Michael to submit to testing so that people could better understand the archangel. That didn't go over very well, and it didn't even make it to Michael. At least Thorne had something to do this week; weird that the show hasn't dedicated any time to her not-so-secret relationship (at least to David) with Michael. Where are my late night orgy scenes?!

– I have to hand it to the show, the effects and the costuming look better than I would have imagined. The angel wings and the high angel costumes are particularly appealing. The show is already over-using the whole "wings blocking bullets" approach to combat, but at least the wings look cool when seen up close. 

– How about that acolyte meeting, huh? You have to be really committed to something to let two dozen strangers watch your midsection get vice gripped nearly to death. There hasn't been a lot of information given about this group in the story, but like many things on this show, there's potential for something interesting.

What'd you think of "Broken Places?" Is this a show you've decided to stick with?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/1/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Stop wasting our time I can't even understand why I'm even writing about the solid piece of shite!
Flag
God Arika is a brilliant bitch, I like her she plans 4steps ahead and it's brilliant. I like how there staying true to the overall brotherhood between Gabriel and Michael underneath all the war and differences they love each other they are family and what does family do best fight, family is loving them even if you don't like what there doing. Yes Michael won't die from a stab wound but it was necessary to set give the kick up the ass Alex needed. I'm loving this show.
Flag
I watched part of the first episode, I take it that its called Dominion because Game Of Complete Bollocks doesn't set the required tone? Although that title would give a more accurate guide to programme content. Utter shite...
Flag
The bad-ass (itchy tude) angel name is Furiad not Furian..please i just named some "animal" after that angel.
Tom Wisdom and Matrix era Keanu Reeves...beautiful things that confuse me.
Flag
Hmm...i dunno. Getting kinda boring. Gonna give it ONE more episode b4 I switch off. If this goes on the way it does, I agree with the title review, the writings on the wall-dun think this show will cut it!
Flag
The absolute shite I watch for you, Tom Wisdom! Damn your attractiveness!!!

Things that need to happen ASAP:

Claire. Dead. David. Dead. Preferably via lions. Senator Thorn. Dead. Riesen. Dead. Via sex worker Angel, who is probably his possessed wife. Bixby? If she ain't already dead, DEAD.

Alex, his gay BFF (WTF, show with that clunky ass outing scene??), hot solider chick sans the unnecessary crush on Alex, and Michael joining forces with the badass ladies of Helena to kick Gabriel's ridiculous ass.

They need to leave Vega. It's fucking boring. I don't care about the totalitiarian politicking situation they have going on. I want a war, dammnit! Or at least the amassing of allies. There's got to be more human beings left on the planet than three cities in the US.

I need Gabriel's whole Everything to stop being ridiculous or be balls to the wall bonkers. His priorities seem lacking in coherency.
Flag
Two things I learned in this episode is that Gabriel likes pudding and Michael likes riding shotgun.
Flag
Michael did low his guard on purpose, to bring "THE ONE" to the game... like nick fury did with the avengers, nice move, :D
Flag
When I rewatched the episode I found myself fast forwarding through the Anthony Head scenes. They need to focus more on Michael and Alex and Gabriel. That's where the fun and excitement are going be. Not in boring, overacted scenes by old men. We need some of that, but it's just too much this early on. My new favorite show and I'll be watching regardless.
Flag
OK, OK, but I found the episode boring overall, because of the whole guy trying to escape his destiny thing. So much time lost on that. He goes a few miles in a car, an angel comes and stops him. Arg. Hoping for a better episode next time.
Flag
What I don't understand is why Claire doesn't see that William would be easily manipulated once they are married. Interesting how show is willing to throw away all sorts of "old times" conventions but sticks to "romantic love as basis for marriage"
Flag
I was cracking up at that acolyte meeting. Seemed a little small. I thought ep. 2 was a little slow. This weeks writing was better. This show could get really complicated if the writers challenged themselves. Humans and Angels taking sides against each other..Both sides having infiltrators. Some in both camps not believing in God..all sort of religious undertones.. Best to keep it simple for now..I will watch another week.
Flag
i really want to like this show but sometimes alex is just so annoying/obtuse lol
Flag
I get what you're saying, and at times I want Alex to stop complaining and get with the "Chosen One" program, but then I remind myself that the way Alex is reacting to the bomb that has just been dropped on his head is very realistic. If someone told me that I was the Chosen One (something I didn't even believe was real), expected to save the world, I'd probably freak out and try to run away too.

Alex has a every reason to be pissed at Jeep and Michael. He was abandoned at twelve to live on the streets with no explanation, and years later the @sshole behind this decision has the gall to tell him this was some tough love Chosen one parenting. On top of that they gave him no warning about the destiny that they knew was coming for him, and as a result he made future plans that now are impossible. Given all that I'm willing to give Alex a pass for a few more episodes.
Flag
Buffy was 16 when she became the Chosen one. She didn't like it one bit but she got on with it...then when she got older, she understood what it meant and that is was her destiny and she came to terms with it and owned it. She had a hard life too. Harder than this spoilt grown man. I feel that the writers missed a beat in his development. Michael has been a poor watcher apparently.
Flag
Even Buffy was resistant to her destiny at first. The first part of the Pilot she says she wants to be done with it anymore. We don't know how long it took her to accept her vampire slaying when she was initially called either, but I'd bet it wasn't instantaneous. Also, although Buffy was almost ten years younger than Alex, she had a considerably easier life prior to getting called. She had a home and food and at least one parental figure to raise her for 16 years. Alex is hardly spoiled, he's just a guy who has raised himself in tough conditions after being abandoned by both his father and society. He's learned to look out for himself first, because no one else would.
Flag
If someone told me that i was the chosen one, i would b like....*hell yeah... i knew it*
Flag
You just made my day. lol. Cause I would be like

Flag
Has anyone seen Legion? I watched it thinking I would get a better idea of who Alex's real father is and the only thing in the movie that maybe points to something is that "the baby was never meant to be born". God sends Michael to kill the baby and he refuses the assignment so Gabriel takes over. I felt like it was possibly Lucifer's child.
Flag
I've seen Legion several times. While the show is based on the movie, it's not following several of the premises at all. In the movie, the 8 balls wouldn't dare touch baby Alex, but now they keep trying to kill him. The 8 balls were sent to kill Alex's mother before he was born, but Gabriel was sent to kill him after his birth since the lower angels couldn't touch him. And originally, it was Michael who was supposed to kill Alex, but he wouldn't do it, so Gabriel went for it and Michael stopped him.

I'd say, consider the movie and show in different but parallel realities...close, but not the same.
Flag
Yeah, that's the thing in the show Gabriel is some kind of renegade angel and in the movie God sent him to kill Alex. The show isn't consistent with the movie and that's probably good because the movie premise didn't make a ton of sense.
Flag
I think you forgot the ending of Legion. It was all a test from God that Gabriel failed!
Flag
I was thinking about rewatching Legion (it has been a while) but what I do remember about the movie makes me question whether that would be helpful in uncovering clues about Dominion. In the movie God directly orders all the angels to wipe out mankind. That doesn't seem to be the case in Dominion. At the end of Legion God revokes His orders and calls off Gabriel and the rest of the angels. Again not fitting with Dominion's history.

As for Alex, my guess is that he will be revealed to be a Nephilim, half-angel, half human, possibly Michael's biological son. It would help explain why Michael originally borne the tattoos before Jeep and why he was crying when spoke about the day Alex's mother died and he turned Alex over to Jeep to raise.

My only hesitation about my theory is Michael's reaction to his lover's suggestion that having his child wouldn't be so terrible. He says "not a child like that". He seems very against it, but I suppose that could be for any number of reasons. Nephilim could be beings of power and destiny, capable of immense good or terrible evil and having more than one in existence could have terrible consequences. Another reason Michael could react that way is that he knows Nephilim invariably have hard lives and he doesn't want to bring another child into the world to suffer the way Alex will.
More +
Flag
Very interesting. I think you may have called it.
Flag
I like your theory
Flag
I'm liking this show the more I watch; it has real potential.

There is no way that Michael fell to Furian (sp?) so easily. It's obvious that he's just getting Alex to take him back to Vega. Even Gabriel realized that Michael couldn't have fallen to a higher angel.

So, the war has involved other angels, and they ran to hide amongst humanity. Now that's huge! Michael has outright lied to just about everybody...cool, and he's given the "refugees" an ultimatum...even cooler. This has just about turned the entire original premise of the show on its head. This is not just a fight between two archangels and some "dogs of heaven", this involves the entirety of the heavenly host. I bet Lucifer is sitting back with a huge bowl of popcorn and laying odds on who will come out ahead.

William is beginning to look like more than a petulant teen rebelling against an overbearing father, he's suddenly looking truly dangerous. I think he'll end up being the most dangerous adversary outside of Gabriel.

I can understand why Claire said yes, but I think she's selling herself short.

David has got to get over losing his faith so hard, it's blinding him to what's right in front of him, a son who's trying to destroy everything he's built.

Alex had better grow up soon. This whole bit about running away from what is obviously his destiny is getting really old! The tattoos are telling him exactly what he should know and do, and he refuses to listen to reason. Right now, William is behaving like more of an adult than Alex!
More+
Flag
I agree about this show, it is already so much better then I expected it to be. Michael is huge part of why I'm digging it so much. I loved what I now refer to as Michael's "kiss my @$$" scene. I love Michael so much for not taking crap from Whele. It was nice to see that even Michael, seemly unflappable (no pun intended) can get pissed off.

I also respect his decision to lie to the council about the higher angels, while simultaneously taking steps to ensure that the higher angels that don't stay won't be a threat. Even the non-@$$es on the council might not responsibly use information about the higher angels in the city and could end up creating enemies out of potential allies, or at least non-threats. Basically Michael is just the best.

As for Alex, he is coming off as a little immature, but to be fair he has good reason to be. His father left him to live on the streets at 12 without an explanation and only returned to tell him he the weight of the world was literally on his shoulders and he and everyone surrounding him would forever be in danger. Alex is defiant of authority because all authority has ever done is abandon him to live or die on his own. It is not hard to understand why he is reluctant to bow to his fate. His life has always been a struggle for his personal survival. Altruism and higher causes are more natural to Claire, who has never had to struggle for her personal needs to be met. She has been given so much that she feels obliged to give back. Alex has been given nothing and therefore feels so such compulsion to his fellow man. Bottom line, Alex deserves a few temper tantrums before he gets down to the business of being "The Chosen One".
More +
Flag
I do understand and even empathize with Alex, but the world he is in is extremely dangerous, and he's going to have to start to play with the cards he's been dealt. But I have lots of confidence in Michael's ability to lead Alex onto the right path, at least so long as David or William don't mess his things up too much.
Flag
True enough, Alex is going to have to wake up to the fact that running is not an option quickly. I also think that Michael will be a good guide for Alex, as long as he doesn't make the classic mistake of not being honest with his charge. I'm pretty sure Michael let himself get stabbed so Alex would be forced to return to Vega. That is manipulation, well intentioned and self-sacrificing manipulation, but manipulation none the less. If Michael makes a habit of misleading Alex, or if he withholds information about Alex's origins and Alex finds out about from another source (Gabriel perhaps via William) Michael's worst fears could easily be realized. Look at what happened with Thea on Arrow. Deception no matter how well-intentioned will come back to haunt you!
Flag
He didn't let himself get stabbed. Re-watch it and you will realize that he was distracted by Alex getting pinned by the 8 ball. He's not manipulating Alex. It was obvious that Alex had already decided to go with him. That's why he was still there when Furiad attacked.
Flag
It was better. However they still need to explain why David has his position and continues to keep his position. Just being an asshole doesn't automatically thrust one into a leadership position or how others kowtow to him. Also, how is it that Michael doesn't realize that he is a threat to him and to Alex. His clearly understand human psychology as he expertly played Alex with taking him back to his childhood home. So he really should be able to look at David and realize that he should put a feather through him. The show not addressing that rather easy fix is kind of silly.

Also Claire marrying the son is kind of a lame plot device that we saw coming from a mile away.
Flag
It's obvious that Michael knows that David is not to be trusted. Killing him would be silly plot wise since he is an antagonist and the show needs that opposition.
Flag
Absolutely love this show =)
Flag
There are many stories in one show and I think show runners decided to keep them all going but one episode a time. For now I couldn't pick my favorite one.

While the overall episode was better, it is forgettable for me. Bulletproof wings need to go. Yes, I will be watching the show.
Flag
The text recap is up.
I'm going to continue watching: I like the heck out of it. Although I'm not clear why the angels need bulletproof wings if bullets just bounce off of them as Michael implied.
Flag
I thought he was referring to the fact that his wings are bulletproof and a ricochet can kill :-)
I like the wings. It's pretty much the only thing they have (besides flying) that is "supernatural". Otherwise they'd just be like humans.

Flag
That and the wall crawling and the pitch-perfect voice impersonation. :)
Flag
Yeah, okay. There is that :-)
Flag
because it may be annoying or irritating to catch a bullet in your eye, ear or nose.. so why let it if you have massive wings to block it all off...
Flag
just like saying. i can take a punch to the face.. doesn't mean i have to.
Flag
but i can if i need to.... just like that..
Flag
I am going to let this show skip the 4th episode of the 4 episode test. Episode 3 was good. I think there are too many plot lines at this time, but it is coming together. I will continue watching for now. It is coming together and I thought after that messy pilot that I would not like it, but episode 2 and 3 were better. Anthony Head and Alan Dale are both fine actors and need better material, hopefully they will be able to convince the writers to better scenes for them. Anthony needs to quit trying so hard with his accent and let his natural accent come through. It is more sinister imho. episode 3 gets a B. the bulletproof angel wings were cool, but we do know they are not fireproof.

Flag
He does a good American accent and it's not going away since his character is-well, American :-)
Flag
I gave it a 9.
I'm liking this even more more.
Flag
I gave the episode an 8.5.

Alex: "What aren't you telling me?"
Um, that Michael or Gabriel is your real father.

Most likely Michael. The way he cried, when talking about Alex's mother's death, tells me he loved her.

So, there are three types of angels. Arch, higher, and 8balls. I wonder if there are more kinds? I thought that red was an archangel, but now it seems he is just a higher. Michael named 4 archs including himself. I wonder when we'll see the other two? I'm also wondering when Lucifer will show up, maybe season 2 or 3, if goes that long?

Flag
I thought this show was a continuation of the movie. If so then Michael nor Gabriel would be Alex's father.
Flag
I'm thinking Dominion is loosely based on the movie, because we already no they changed the part about God ordering the angels to wipe out humanity. In the movie he gave the order, then took it back. In Dominion God just disappeared and Gabriel decided that the humans were to blame and wiping them out would bring God back. I'm still going to need to rewatch the movie though...
Flag
There's nothing really going on for me tonight so I think I will do the same.
Flag
I haven't seen the movie, so i'm just speculating. Was it that definite, who Alex's father was?
Flag
No but Michael was sent to kill Alex after he as born and Gabriel sent after Michael refused. I'm sure Michael would know if he had ever had sex with the mother. Gabriel wouldn't care so he would still be down to kill Alex even if Alex was his child...lol.
Flag
Or they created a weird second Messiah which could destroy the show. You know, the WHOLE package - another son of God, another virgin mother, the Destiny - it would be too much as it is already messy. It is possible that Lucifer waits and acts only when one fraction of angels destroys completely the other fraction and every neutral angel - and then he destroys the rest of the winning fraction. It could be more effective than siding with one fraction. BTW it doesn't matter which fraction Lucifer chooses to side with, there's always a chance that his allies turn against him as a matter of principle.
Flag
I'd have to watch the movie again, but I think that's what the movie implied. However, the show seems to be following a different premise, so the nephilim plot line is a definite possibility. Especially considering Michael's reaction to the memory of the death of Alex's mother; he was actually crying.
Flag
Frankly I don't remember the movie. I know I went to see it with a friend who loves such movies and she didn't let me go home, I had to see ALL of it but it was messy and boring and I didn't like it. I trust you judgment when you write what the movie implied, but I think Michael tried to save her so his tears aren't weird when she dies and he knows his best efforts weren't enough.
Flag
Yeah i agree with your thoughts on Lucifer. I believe even Gabriel, couldn't bring himself to really team up with him. I also hope they don't make Alex a "son of God" It would wreck the show, and i find him much more interesting as a nephilim.
Flag
Oh I see where you are coming from then. I just viewed this as a TV show with no basis in reality, just repeated folklore so anything goes for me.
Flag
Why would that wreck the show? I know it's just your opinion but I'm curious as to why you think this. A son of God would be far more powerful than a nephilim.
Flag
Correction, it would ruin it for me. The Son of God, or Messiah if you will, was God or an aspect of God in the flesh. He would have known who he was, as Jesus knew who He was from early childhood. Alex is ruled by his own desires and fears. He is not a son of God.

I chose Nephilim because, according to one interpretation of Genesis, God sent Noah's flood for two reasons. One was the violence of humanity, the other was that human dna was becoming corrupted, by the fallen Angels mating with humans, resulting in the Nephilim. Which makes sense with the movie. God said that the child wasn't supposed to be born, and sent Michael then Gabriel to kill him.

Though a prophet would work for me. As the story goes, they were very powerful, and often reluctant. They were guided by God, for their purpose. Alex having the tattoos guiding him, makes sense in this scenario. Though Alex could be a Nephilim, that was chosen by God, to be a prophet (lol).
Flag
First time I have seen Cory mentioned the need for more late night orgies. ha !

You did not mentioned it but one of my favorite character now is Arika. She always has something up her sleeves and is very interesting. I am also very interested to meet her spouse the Queen Evelyn. I am wondering if Helena is one of the cities where the couples are all of the same sex?

It would be interesting to see their Airpower if the budget allows.
Flag
Michael injuries suddenly make him vulnerable to Vega scientists. Who can now study his physiology and figure out how kill him and detect higher level angles. Also they will have a sample of fury sword, which if melted down could possible be made into bullets which we know can kill higher angles.

This show has a lot of potential, the big question is can the actors and writers pull it off and will Syfy allow them to pull it off.
Flag
I agree about the injuries. I don't think it was a coincidence that Becca was being pressured by Whele to learn Michael's vulnerabilities. I really hope she doesn't sell him out based on the lame threat of her being outed as Michael's lover. I'm still struggling with how exactly that would make her a pariah. She's not sleeping with an 8-ball, unlike others we could mention...she sleeping with the gorgeous savior of all humanity. If Michael were to fall out of favor with the council, then I could see her relationship with him causing her problems, but in the current state of Vega, it seems like weak blackmail to me. Also if it was such a secret how exactly did she organize those little orgies? In any event if she betrays Michael she is dead to me as a character.
Flag
I agree, and I really doubt most of the populace would have a problem either. In fact, most would probably either not care, or just be jealous. I know I would be, Michael's smokin' hot!
Flag
I thought that was an interesting nod to the movie - having the carnage at a diner.
Flag
I agree, it tied the show to the movie quit nicely...in a sort of horrific manner.
Flag
The diner scene did it for me... this show is so stupid, the acting and writing are horrible, I can't take it anymore.
Flag
Good concept and not overly feminist which ruins so many good concept SciFi shows on SyFy. I get it is Science Fiction, but let’s not make this all social fiction.
Flag
Michael's ass-kicking counter this episode: 2. In total: 4.
Also, I am going to pretend that he lost the fight to Red Helmet on purpose (to force Alex to take him to Vega for treatment), considering Michael handily beat the other guy in the pilot.

Bonus point to this episode for showcasing Gabriel as a jazz aficionado and pudding connaisseur. He's swiftly becoming the most eligible bachelor of Orthanc (I presume that's what he named his tower). When he's not killing women to prove a point, of course.
Flag
...weird that the show hasn't dedicated any time to her not-so-secret relationship (at least to David) with Michael.

Huh, I thought that was how David blackmailed Thorne into placing the bug in Michael's penthouse. It was his unsubtle reference to the orgies that made her change her mind about cooperating. Or not.
Flag
It is funny during that acolyte meeting I did have the thought...I actually am not horrified. Isn't that just what corsets did?

I have a weird theory. I sort of think the show needs to widen its perspective like literally. The camera angles and what not. Its shot like a sitcom and you have a sense of a small world. I almost feel like if the filming distanced itself to really play up say they are technically in the desert. I don't know just invest in a crane.

But yes. I am liking this as like a real show not just a silly thing. I think Dominion needs to be careful now that it has show glimpses of quality. More will be ecxpected.
Flag
-Everyone looks so serious acting their pants off but it's nice to see Anthony Stewart Head bring an almost campy, gleeful quality to David Whele. I found the Samson & Delilah speech on the mating lions particularly hilarious.

-Michael's stab wound was a convenient plot contrivance to get Alex back to Vega and his s**t together respectively. Which I don't mind, though I do hope that we're not going to get more scenes of Alex whining about being the Chosen One. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to see what (Phila)Delphi(A?) looked like.

-I wonder which US city Helena is based on.

-Wouldn't mind seeing more late night orgy scenes either, especially since Senator Thorn & Michael are the two more attractive people beings on the show.
Flag
I find the Whele character completely annoying. I've been known to fast forward through his scenes because they are so heavy-handed. The writers make a point of his double dealing so often, that it's tiresome. Also, I don't know if it's the writing, or because Head is concentrating on his horrific accent that he can't do justice to the scenes, but Head is capable of much better work.
Flag
@ Michael's stab wound:
Right before Michael gets stabbed he looks over at Alex, which I think is supposed to be significant. Either a) Michael the badass got stabbed because he was distracted by the sight of Alex in danger OR Michael allowed himself to get stabbed so Alex would have no choice but to bring him back to Vega.

@The Samson and Delilah speech: William's response to Dad's @sshole pep talk kind of made me like his character a little. How bizarre. Also Gabriel with the horn....priceless.
Flag
I immediately thought the second option; there's no way Michael would've left himself open like that unless he had a plan. And Alex just was NOT seeing reason.

At least William is standing up to his father. It definitely makes him look more like an adult with a difference of opinion from his father rather than the rebelling teen I had thought he was going to be.
Flag
"I wonder which US city Helena is based on."

Helena, Montana?
Flag
In the spirit of Vega and Delphi, I was hoping for Helena to be a truncated name from somewhere. Makes sense they'd want a feminine name for what is essentially seems to be a feminist stronghold, but what about Diana instead? ;)
Flag
I don't know, David said Helena controls Hill Air Force Base, which is in Utah...
Flag
Yeah, the distances don't seem to work out, either. But sometimes a name is just a name.
Flag
Don't get me wrong i love the show so far but i kinda feel like i know whats going to happen i could be wrong thoe hes going to come back realize that he has man up to be the chosen one train with michael become a badass kill lots of angels then hes going to find out claire is going to get married get mad as hell then end up hooking up with that hot soldier chick but hey its summer and its a show with hot chicks and lots of violence so i am here to stay lol all we need now is a really hot angel chick and we are good to go
Flag
Follow this Show
Members