A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Dominion S01E08: "Beware Those Closest to You"

I was going to say that it's been a while since I've checked in on Dominion, but really, it was only a few weeks ago. By the end of Episode 4—which was already the midpoint of the season—I wasn't ready to give up, but Dominion's stuffiness and self-serious nature weren't really clicking with me. Sometimes I just wish these kinds of shows were willing to have some fun, ya know? 

Well, Dominion didn't necessarily lighten up, but it did burn through enough plot to raise the stakes and make its wooden nature feel slightly less obtrusive. You certainly can't criticize this series for spending too much time on key story elements. The never-ending duel between archangels Michael and Gabriel progressed at a fine clip—despite the fact that Gabriel claimed he was playing it slow—and some of the more ponderous elements (discussions about resources and trade, religious signifiers) were stripped away, mostly because the spotlight settled on the proverbial war for Alex's soul and allegiances.

What I found odd about the the 90-minute season finale, "Beware Those Closest to You," was that it kinda pushed Alex aside in order to devote more time to Michael and Gabriel specifically. That was an egregious choice, particularly because the archangels are Dominion's greatest strength, and both Tom Wisdom (Michael) and Carl Beukes (Gabriel) are having a ball playing such heightened characters. Plus, for a show that was initially pretty clearly dedicated to the "hero's journey"-type arc, Alex spent much of this episode taking orders or standing around and yelling at people to stop being jackholes. That's one of the dangers of a show where the lead character is human but the story is predicated on supreme beings who can fight and fly and do all the cool stuff that the milquetoast savior cannot—at least not yet. "Beware Those Closest to You" definitely wanted its closing moments to feel cool and tragic in that Alex chose to save Vega, Claire, and their developing baby (the Chosen Chosen One?) by joining up with Gabriel, but it didn't work as well as it could have because the character was sidelined longer than I would've expected him to be during the previous 87 minutes. 

Of course, focusing on Gabriel and Michael paid out some small dividends. Last week's penultimate episode ended with flashbacks in which Michael murdered many humans while Gabriel tried to stop him. The finale further clarified those events, letting us know that Michael was simply following his dear old dad's orders, but eventually came to realize the value and sanctity of human life. And Gabriel, for his part, mostly seemed to want power and control, which isn't much of a surprise. Nevertheless, it appears that Gabriel's big plan was to not mess with Alex but with Michael, hoping that he could turn his sibling into the murderous, blood thirsty archangel he once was. Mission accomplished. The apparently all-knowing Gabriel informed Michael of the leadership's "research" into angels, and the supposed good brother didn't take it well. Something snapped, guards were stabbed, and poor Becca's neck got broke. Much like with The Vampire Diaries' Stefan, when Michael goes off the handle, he really goes off the handle. Fair enough; Gabriel knew that, and I guess he waited around for exactly the right moment to pull his brother's wings. 

On that point, a great chunk of the finale relied on one of contemporary popular media's worst story clichés: the villain getting caught on purpose as part of some larger plan. The episode tried to skirt the overwhelming familiarity of a plot turn like that by having Vega's leadership—including the now-in-power Claire and the Wheles—debate whether or not they should just kill Gabriel once he turned himself in, and at one point, Alex announced that there was no way it wasn't a big set-up... but doing all that work and still having it be a big set-up doesn't make it okay. The episode made all of Dominion's human characters look extremely stupid, even as they commented on their own stupidity. Gabriel, Michael, and the rest of the high angels are so powerful as it is; he has eyes everywhere, he knows exactly what is happening at all times. The show doesn't need to make the humans look worse on a regular basis to hammer that point home even more. 

As the centerpiece of the episode, that sequence was a mess. But on the bright side, the "cell" Gabriel was placed in and the wing-prevention vest they threw on him were pretty cool pieces of design. Dominion has a kind of generic glossy finish that isn't always that engaging to look at, but I appreciated "Beware Those Closest to You" for making some earnest attempts to mix up the shooting locations and the color filters. The brief bit where Michael and Alex left Vega to carry out what almost immediately amounted to a terrible plan against Gabriel? Utterly pointless. But it did take full advantage of one little corner of the South African landscape; I need more scenes staged at the abandoned water park. The same could be said for the operation room that Michael raged into later in the episode to find Louis's de-winged body. The green light was almost offensively bright, but it at least it was an attempt to add some flourish to the show, which has gotten stuck in thr rut of a couple of standing sets (as tends to happen). 

I'm focusing on this stuff rather than detailing other plot-related developments because the expedited storytelling created some messes along the way. Claire and William were married, shared a really nice moment, and then very quickly watched everything fall apart once she figured out his allegiance to Gabriel. That was all to be expected, but those beats came fast and furious without much time to settle. While William was a weird character, he wasn't an ineffective one. His feelings for Claire seemed true, but they were also going to be so insignificant in the grand scheme of the show's story.

Relatedly, David very quickly recovered from his experience with the Black Acolytes, managed to sneak his traitorous son out of town during a lockdown, and then murdered the remaining Acolytes to clean up after his kid. Those scenes worked better than the ones with Claire and William because they showed both sides of David, self-interested power mongerer and protective father. Still, it does feel like the show wasn't really sure what to do with the Black Acolytes as an apparatus, especially when the angels themselves have enjoyed so much screen time. I don't know if this means the end of them altogether, but it wouldn't surprise me. I mean, most of them were just burned alive. Maybe a few missed that meeting and can carry the torch onward.

Other characters were given less of a send-off. General Risen simply left Vega to escape it all, presumably to be seen again Dominion gets a second season. Noma, Alex's bedroom partner, longtime friend, and secret high angel, was captured in Gabriel's lair and never seen again. And oh yeah, Arika and Uriel appear to be a couple and I think Arika is actually Evelyn. "Beware Those Closest to You" allowed just enough time for those women to work in some sexposition, but that's a story that will have to be told at a later date, if possible.

Dominion covered a lot of ground in eight episodes, for better and for worse. The decision to ramp up the story churn allowed the show to move away from some of its cumbersome seriousness, but not completely. Most of the characters didn't have especially substantive arcs (or even personalities, in some cases; sorry, Becca) and the concentration on plot meant that world-building, such a crucial element in a show like this, got sidelined as well. But with all that said, Dominion was also not as terrible as many of the moments in the pilot suggested. The improvements were small, but not entirely insignificant. Though a prospective second season would still have a long way to go, I imagine that with more time and more episodes, Dominion could keep making progress.

NOTES

– Look at face. Christopher Egan is quite handsome, right? At least we have that.

– I'm not really complaining, but didn't it feel like the show tried to shoehorn in some of its sex and nudity, as if it was making a concerted effort to compete with Game of Thrones (and really anything else on premium cable)? While the show didn't really do anything over the top, the frisky business was prominent in a number of episodes. 

– If you were concerned that Dominion hadn't pulled any Joseph Campbell-y stuff in a while, Alex had a vision of Jeep not unlike something Luke Skywalker experienced in The Empire Strikes Back

– Apparently brides wear pink(ish) and not white in Vega. it was a small touch, but I liked it. More of that.

What'd you think of Dominion's finale? Do you want a second season?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/1/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

71 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I want a 2nd season and it sounds like that is going to happen;-)

Alex has too much eye make up on. I don't mind if male (or female) actors wear make up but it shouldn't be so noticeable. He looked like he should be in a band or video.

Ok, from the scene with Alex and Jeep, wasn't Alex supposed to learn something and apply it to real life. So when Gabriel says don't kill me since I have acolytes poised around Claire and your unborn child. If you hurt me then they die and that is on you. NO, that is on you Gabriel…but Alex fell for it. I'm glad he fell for it…not because of some unborn child or love interest but because Gabriel (and Michael) are the most interesting characters.

So, Michael goes a little off the rails and kills the woman who tortured his friend and then killed a couple guards who were trying to kill him and that makes Alex all anti-MIchael…like Alex wouldn't do the same if it was Claire. Shit, he could of doomed all of humanity by not killing Gabriel when he chose Claire and the unborn mini-chosen one fetus to live.

Anyway, I'm liking this show. I'm not a big Alex fan but I don't hate him (just his heavy handed eyeliner/mascara look). I guess the author of the review finds that hot but I prefer a less artificial beauty (not gobs of make up).

so, acolytes can't smell fuel? I assume it was gas he poured. I guess they couldn't hear the liquid pouring due to the chanting and meditation.

Decent series….fun~especially the angel related stuff.
More+
Flag
Just finished watching the last few eps.

Tom Wisdom gives me the vapors, but...This. Show. Is. Terrible. Goddamn!

Maybe it's the insane 8 episodes order that brought out the super bad dialogue, weak character development, and GIGANTIC PLOTHOLES. Why Syfy goes out of its way to handicap it's fledgling shows from the jump, I will never know.

The Good:

1) The writers seem to be following my approved character kill list. Bixby, Becca, Vega... Your days are numbered Claire (and fetus)!
2) Hot ass Uriel and Arika/Evelyn/Raphael. Yes, I'm calling it. The show hasn't surprised me yet with a twist. They are the only people on this show that seem to be scheming on all cylinders.
3) Michael looking fine even when going down to crazytown to slaughter his beloved jump-off and bitchslap "My Redemption" (TM) into a wall.
4) Gabriel coming out of his Ice Palace to talk to his twinsie, lol.
5) Sun of Morning? Oh, Michael. That's stinking cute. And here I thought, only Supernatural could make me aww about Lucifer.
6) William wandering in the wilderness in that fly ass suit.
7) New Delphi maybe making an appearance if there is a second season.
8) Noma being a Higher Angel technically falls into my The Bad, but dammit if she didn't look beautiful with wings. Also, it explains why she liked Alex's not charming ass in the first place. Strategy!

The Bad:

1) What?!
2) Claire and Alex's bland genitalia have produced a bland plot device. This couple is chemistry-free and a plotline of suck. Do not let them procreate.
3) Daddy Issues, like whoa. Cease and Desist.
4) Micheal's sudden and inexplicable rage black-outs. He's been around David for YEARS and David is still alive. Come on, bro.
5) Continuous pet peeve with show: why has Alex been left so unprotected once his status was revealed even to a handful of people. He's guarding useless, pampered a-holes. He's still showering with the troops with his bad trip/bad tattoo situation going on. Like what? Michael is a terrible babysitter.
6) New pet peeve: Do the people of Vega KNOW that Alex is the Chosen One 3.0? Dude is shouting at and arguing with Michael in PUBLIC! Disobedience in plain sight, constantly. What do the other V's think? Do they think Alex and Michael are schlupping or something, since Alex hasn't been locked up or exiled? WTF?
7) Not warning anybody that the Higher Angels can be possessed by Gabriel and not taking any kind of precautions. Fool me once, etc.
8) House Riesen. House Whele. IDGAF.
9) Alex is still boring and whiney. Apparently he's an accomplished mountaineer though.
10)Mac being in the dark. Bring him into the fold already.
11) I don't like Star Wars, so copying it, does this show no favors.
More+
Flag
I wish I could thumbs up this a million times lmao. I so badly want Lucifer, the angels are the best part of this show and they need to be on camera like ALL the time. Gabriel in particular is hilarious, I love him, and when they bring in a Lucifer I'm sure I'll love him too. I do think I would prefer evil Michael but I think he is probably over his little mental break down. Your first point in The Good section is spot on for me, my fingers are crossed (though I doubt they will have the balls to do it).
Flag
Not sure if it's a unintetional miss of the series props department, or if David is a sadistic father. The last thing he give to William is an ammo clip, and the gun he got was a revolver :)
Can't wait for the next season, and as previously mentioned I think the person Alex is meeting is The Morning Star.
Flag
Well, since Alex was going directly into Gabriel's cave, you're jumping the gun here, my friend.
Flag
Darn :)

Flag
Cheer up, they mentioned the Morning Star in the finale I believe, so he may very well pop up next season. Personally I'd love to see his take on the war and God's disappearance. Is he still running hell, or now that God's gone has he just chosen to kick back on earth for some R and R?
Flag
I've said it before, when Legion came up, and I must say it again with Dominion: this story will get some much better the minute Satan shows up.

Sorry, but, as a Christian who read way too many horror stories in the Bible as a kid (seriously, the Old Testament is the bloodiest book ever published...), this kind of pseudo-biblical tales never seem that problematic for humanity unless the truest big bad out there shows up. That's a big reason why Supernatural stop making any sense to me after season 5 (wait... you beat Lucifer, Winchester Bros? Then game over, you won FOREVER! Whatever come next is going to be so beneath you, it's not going to be even funny - and boy, was that an understatement!)

So yeah, I guess Gabriel and Uriel are doing their utmost best at being the worst angels they can be, but even they will literally lose their shit is what's-his-name enters their game. And you know whoever they hire to play that part will just chew the hell outta the scenery with it, making the show hella more fun to watch. Anyway, nice of them to at least acknowledge the Son of Morning exists in this reality... now how about an introduction, Dominion?
More+
Flag
YES!!!! PLEASE! I really figured Lucifer would be loving this no god world. And I can only imagine how funny he finds the whole tiff between Gabriel and Michael.
Flag
Absence of Lucifer buged me as well. I mean, this is perfect opportunity for him to make serious inroads in humanity. Considering that angels who are supposed to be our protectors turned out to be dicks, God just doesn't give a f**k anymore Lucifer could present himself as serious alternative. "Hey, I've never killed anybody. Now that you see good guys aren't such why not listen to what I have to say? I hope now you understand why I rebelled back then and why rest of angels hate me."
Flag
... You and I should write the next season together, aktarian.

I'm barely joking here - nothing we come up with could be as bad as what they have in mind.
Flag
Did anyone else break out into uncontrollable laughter when David started pouring that gasoline?
Flag
Best recent shows so far with competent actors and directors & their art team and a nice creative horizon that doesn't constrict imagination too much, so anything could happen:
The Strain, Vikings, Helix, Dominion, The 100, Supernatural, Terra Nova.

The rest:
The Last Ship marginally maybe, since it still maintains viewer attention like: Arrow was okay, Sleepy Hollow, Being Human was fun, one season of The Tomorrow People enough,

Hoping for Sense8 and Wayward Pines, but they could turn out to be mediocre like all "sci-fi supernatural mix" shows not listed here.

Real value and hiring enough professionals to reach critical mass for success is rare nowadays.
Flag
I like this show and hope it will have a season 2, They renewed worst shows....
Flag
When I heard about this show I facepalmed. I thought "Wow, a show based on mediocre movie with silly premise, that's going to suck". But as I started to watch I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great by any stretch but considering I went in with low expectations I was easily entertained.

Sure, there are a lot of things that are elft unexplained such as how does Vega survive, how did such society come about, why do people just accept it etc. But even though these are large plot holes or at least something that should be explained it was still entertaining.

The finale? Eh, not sure about it. Sadly show felt for old cliche where existing order of things is challenged by outsider and everybody just beleives it. Here Alex burst in senate eeting, said Michale is not what he says, higher angels was hiding in Angel Corps. And senators jsut believed him? Nobody thought that he might be lying? And it's not as if he was such a trustworthy person, msot never even heard of him.

One thing that I always wondered is what is Lucifer doing during all this. Surely he'd try to muscle in, seize the chance to do his thing and whatnot. Yet he and his minions are quiet. I mean surely if angels are real then Lucifer is real as well?

And while show did try to deal with Vega's families powerplay in the end it's as if all just fizzled out.

Would be nice to see Raphael and where he is. I have my suspicions about that soldier/suggler/thief who Alex gives letter to in the end. Since he's Uriel's twin she might know more and considering she's playing her own game she might be hiding it from her brothers.
More+
Flag
Michael mentioned "son of the morning", which is another term for the Morning Star, or Lucifer. So he's probably somewhere around, either sitting back laughing his @$$ off, making mischief, or both. He could even possibly be hanging out with Raphael.
Flag
He said Lucifer was only one born alone while rest are two sets of twins. So you are right, Lucifer exists but he is awfully quiet. Of course it's quite possible he is elsewhere and doesn't interact with Vega, Delphi and Helena. And he's probably staying as far away from Michael as possible, due to their, errrrr, past differences.
Flag
He might also be laughing at Michael's current troubles. And who knows, old enemies can become allies...
Flag
I thought about that. Like Lucifer might want to keep the humans around to torment them or the other angels, just to be a shit disturber. It would be hilarious, him and Michael forced to work together, the tension would be so entertaining.
Flag
Dominion is a nice surprise. I'm really hoping for a second season!
Flag
So, the pilot credits say that Kim Engelbrecht's character is "Noma Walker." But the dialogue in this episode, Alex calls her "Noma Banks."

So what's her last name?
Flag
I love the progress and growth Claire made as a character. Dominion took someone who would be portrayed as "moral compass" in other shows and made her decidedly flawed human. She was forced to mature and grow from her quite naive and, well, happy, self at the start of the show to someone who is depicted as quite power-hungry and dangerous.

In contrast, David, who started as a complete monster, was forced to face the monsters he has created, found it in himself to SPARE his son and is clearly uncomfortable with everything that is happening around him. Such a contrast

It will be interesting to see that continue next season(there MUST be next season). Everyone Claire trusted has either betrayed her, left her or died by now and I doubt she will ever return to how she was at the start of the show. If anything she will continue to grow darker and will have to make harder and darker decisions as time goes on. I hope she gets far more screentime next season because her character got REALLY interesting Ep5 to EP8. Somehow I feel that she and David will be the people the show will use to display the full spectrum of both Michael and Gabriel’s viewpoint of humanity. I fully expect the two of them to slowly start switching places.

I can safely say that Claire and David are the most developed, interesting and complex characters in the cast and their growth(as well as Arika/Uriel plottings) makes Season Two REALLY promising.
More+
Flag
So the whole, you can't raise the baby because they will use it against you crap is just that, complete and utter bullshit, everyone already knows it's his, this is just unnecessary drama. I'm actually hoping Claire and the baby die, maybe it will spur Alex into action, he is kinda a failure as a "chosen one" so far.
Also I am personally rooting for bad Michael. I loved the Stefan reference, it is so true. But in this case I think Michael's anger / rampage is 100% justified. Minus him hurting Alex of course. But I don't think we'll get an evil Michael, It looked like he had a bit of a mental breakdown, but he snapped out of it after Alex cut him.
I do love Gabriel, if they get a second season I really hope they do more with him. I would also really like to meet more archangels, maybe Lucifer.
As for William, I kinda liked him, even though he was a little crazy. I did want them to figure out he was bad, but I was hoping he would get away with Gabriel. I will settle for him running around in the desert I guess, hopefully he will reach Gabriel.
More+
Flag
I wish I had read your comment before doing mine but I'm glad I'm not the only one that kind of hoped Claire and the fetus would die. I so sick of that "save the baby" drama…what about "save all of humanity". I also felt the same way about how MIchael dealt with his friends torturer…like Alex (hypocrite) wouldn't of done the same if precious Claire had been tortured.
Despite those points, I'm really enjoying this show.
Flag
Dominion ended up being considerably better than I anticipated and I'm in for another season if that ever happens. It is by no means a masterwork of storytelling but it kept my attention and I find it way more interesting than something like Defiance. Although to be fair I think Defiance has improved a little bit with its second season.
Flag
I enjoyed Dominion. Sure there's lots of things that need improvement but c'mon angels are AWESOME!! The human characters do need a lot of work if they are going to be on screen with these higher beings. I keep tuning in because of the angels. I've always been fascinated by this story ever since the movie The Prophecy. I wish there were more stories about angels. This finale definitely has me curious. I hope it gets renewed. Even though Dominion and Defiance are completely different, I find Dominion way more interesting and entertaining. Sometimes when I watch Defiance I'm sitting there like when is this episode going to end but I never feel that way about Dominion. Gabriel is awesome and I always look forward to a scene with Michael and Gabriel cuz they're just cool. So yea I hope it comes back.
Flag
I think one thing missing from your critique is Vaun Wilmott. He took a show that could have been a dark depressing drama and turned it into a Higher Angel, Chosen One, with daddy problems and drama everywhere!
He turned this show into a fandom I've never seen before. It's not just the story that holds your attention it's the tweets during and after the show where the cast along with Vaun and his wife tweet, favorite, and retweet for hours every Thursday night. He brought these people on the little screen into our homes and let us make them snacks and have a good time with on Thursday nights. Dominion brought all of us together and that's what makes this show great. I hope it has many more seasons and I hope they do spin offs with Helena too. This is one show I will stick with till "The Fat Lady Sings".
Flag
It would be a better show if they spent more time out in the desert. More Resident Evil 3 than Resident Evil 2 (the movies).
Flag
Why does Dominion need to be light-hearted or irreverent to be good? That makes no sense in an apocalyptic story. I felt that each episode became tighter, focused, and really pulled me in to this world. When each episode ended, all I could do was wonder what would happen next. To me, that's the sign of a good show.

I thought for sure that David's machinations had finally brought him down. But like all politicians, he keeps repackaging the sleaze in a shiny new package. I do agree that he got over his injuries and trauma a bit too quickly, but I'll let that pass considering how much I love to hate his character.

There is one point I'm not happy about. I don't understand why William couldn't have used his influence (or acolytes) to help him escape the guards into his compound. At least one of the guards Claire called for should've been an acolyte.

I have to admit that I didn't foresee Gabriel messing with Michael's head like that. It was truly inspired! But I really do think that was the only way to get Alex away from Michael. I also realize that Michael was out of his head with grief and horror at what he had found. You could see the confusion turning to remorse once Alex's sword cut him.

Alex is going to complete the original plan: get close to Gabriel and then kill him.
More+
Flag
Besides, while it's not laugh-out-loud near-constant Supernatural stuff, there are the occasional wry/humorous moments. Michael complaining about headwinds, and Alex saying no pressure when Michael says that Alex is his redemption.
Flag
The headwinds comment was funny, as well as the black market business the other guard conducts out of his locker. I do enjoy the occasional wry humor, I just don't think the show needs a whole lot of it to be considered good.
Flag
I'd agree. I just think the folks who are saying it has no humor are overlooking the occasional funny line.

I suppose it's too late now after Michael's going nutso, but I wouldn't mind them doing a little more with the fish-out-of-water aspect of the angel.
Flag
I'm sure that Michael isn't done with humans yet. And since most of what's left of the human race owes him their existence, I'm sure they won't completely write him off yet either.

I would also like to see him interact with humans more often, but the angel fights are just so cool, I want more of those too.
Flag
I would not be as quick to say that David "got over" his problems and trauma. He is still a survivor, doing what's NECESSARY for him to survive, but unlike David at the start of the show, the current David is noticeably disturbed by the things going around him.

David from the start of the show would walk away humming after burning the acolytes, the current David almost stumbles out. And in the scene where he lets his son go, as he walks away, he looks just so done with all of this - he is not angry at the town for what they want to do, he is not angry at William and what is going on, but he is completely done with everything around him.

He is still not beyond doing dirty stuff(because he's a survivor), but he has noticeable way less pride about it.

To say in short, with character journey of Claire and the revelations about Arika/Evelyn and Uriel, David, the character who was "THE" Shark at the start of the show suddenly realizes that he is swimming in a sea of sharks AND sees for the first time how sharks actually look from someone else's perspective.

Frankly I would not be surprised if through S2 he would develop into fully devoted person who firmly believes in the whole Chosen One thing and is uncomfortable with the things he had to do (and will have to do), while Claire slowly develops into someone willing to do what's necessary, someone darker, as a narrative counter-balance to that
More +
Flag
That's a good character analysis of David. I hope he does regain at least some morality, if not his actual faith, but I'm not hoeing my breath. On the other hand, I do believe Claire is on the route to a much darker path. The fact that she had darkness in her became obvious when she killed her mother.
Flag
IT SUCKED SO BAD. But I watched all episodes. Oh why?
Flag
I agree I thought there was potential for the movie and the show, they just didn't really execute it well. But Maryjane420 is right, angels are cool and I was hopeful. I don't know if I can do another season but at the same time I want them to try again and maybe improve during the second season.
Flag
You watched it because c'mon ANGELS ARE COOL!! Haha
Flag
I honestly didn't like it in the beginning. I thought it was nothing that we haven't seen before. The acting was fine, but could be better in points and it is horribly predictable. But I still liked it and I would watch a second season. The way they left it, they could go in any number of ways and I think they could pull it off and perhaps be like Dominion and come back with a lot stronger second season. They are mission a few key ingredients, I am not sure what, but if they figure it out it could be a very strong series.
Flag
"perhaps be like Dominion..."

Did you mean something else, like Defiance, or am i reading that wrong?
Flag
Defiance. Sorry. They both start with D.
Flag
So, if we get a second season, are we briefly done with Vega? I am still interested to actually see New Delphine and it sort of sounds like Uriel's plan might be something that Alex would be more interested in.

As the season wore on, I would vaguely lose interest in parts and I still sort of felt like I needed to know more about Alex. And heck, what exactly was the Chosen One supposed to do? I guess I didn't interpret Alex as going to Gabriel as much as he was going to try and spring Noma. Though I kept thinking part of Alex's resistance issues in embracing who he was (beside apparently cutting himself off from everyone) was that he was super relying on angels when he was supposed to be humanity's chosen savior. I almost would like a second season to have ten episodes and us to spend somehow some time with Alex alone in his journey from Vega to Denver.

It would be very interesting to introduce Raphael...
Flag
I would prefer Lucifer. But I do want more archangels. I think Michael said Raphael was Uriel's twin, so it would be interesting to see him and what he has to say about Uriel's plans.
Flag
Staff
Also, I forgot to mention this but shout out to Gislef for keeping the conversation going in the community.
Flag
I had wanted to post a review of the other episodes, but I wouldn't even begin to know how to secure a screenshot from an episode, much less post one. If this show has a 2nd season, will it rate a dedicated reviewer?
Flag
Ask tv editorial (Jen). They/she probably don't know yet…but if not then community member may review it but who knows. Some, not all, of the community members who actually write reviews/recaps (don't just do polls) may not keep doing them but others may step up to the plate.
Flag
Is there some reason I can't "like" this review?
Flag
Good catch. Cory, where's the little heart button up top?
Flag
Given last night was a two-hour episode (w/full commercials), and writers were credited as Part 1 and 2, I guess that explains where the missing ninth episode went.

Originally, the eighth one-hour episode was supposed to be "Exiles," and then the ninth episode was "Beware Those..." Presumably SyFy wanted to compress the schedule to beat the fall rush.
Flag
Are you counting commercials? The version I streamed was around 62 minutes long
Flag
Yep, including commercials.
Flag
Thanks!
I'm relieved I didn't miss anything since mine was commercial free. Dang, you had close to 60 minutes of commercials!
Flag
It also means they may have edited out about 15 to 20 minutes of material, which could be one explanation for Corey's mentioning of Alex not being so much in the show plus whatever else that might have mattered.

I gave up on this show after about 4 episodes anyway and knowing this only contributes to my reasons for doing so.
Flag
But then they aired it an hour later and it ran for 2 hours that time. I didn't watch that version of it, but presumably it either had the same material, or a little more. Depends on whether they did the episode credit breaks at the halfway mark.

If anything, if the 90-minute version was commercial free, it could potentially have more material than two 42-minute episodes normally would, since it doesn't have to stop for a couple of minutes of credits, then a recap of the previous episode, then the opening credits (not that Dominion has them per se). But I haven't watched that yet, either.
Flag
Only 62 actual minutes of show, though, so 20 mins of the episodes must have been chopped out, which might explain why some of it felt a bit rushed.
Flag
This episode demonstrated why rituals with blindfolds are such a bad idea.

As for fun, there no shortage of shows on syfy that put fun before seriousness, Eureka, Warehouse 13. It actually nice to see syfy do something serious for a change.

I agree with Rebecca, Alex is going after Gabriel not to join him but to kill him, and to free his former girlfriend. Luckily it seem Furiad is related to her and will probably end up rescuing her and Alex from Gabriel when he threatens her or tries to have her killed.

The show improved as it went along. I hope there a season 2 with a slightly bigger budget to allow for a bigger story. Hope we get to see General Risen explore the world, and we some of the other cities.

Flag
Except those shows aren't anymore. All we really have is the increasingly somber Haven.
Flag
I would say Lost Girl and The Almighty Johnson's but those aren't original content for SciFi. Except for their unintentionally funny Helix the previews of their upcoming shows it looks like they are moving away from happy go lucky Sci Fi and attempting to go for more serious Sci Fi and fantasy even, likely they trying to take some viewers from already accomplished shows such as TWD and GoT etc.
Flag
My noting Helix in a reply to my own post got deleted somehow.

SyFy's upcoming shows like Twelve Monkeys don't look set to bring a lot of humor, either.
Flag
I also assume you're talking about scripted shows, and not game/talk shows.

I'll certainly concede that Wil Wheaton Project puts fun before seriousness.
Flag
I do not agree about the "cumbersome seriousness" which was mentioned so many times we should make it into a drinking game. Who said that every sci-fi show has to be frivolous? That it covered so much ground in 8 episodes is so refreshing, when other shows take seasons (if they last) to give us anything significant.
General Risen left to go to Helena so in Season 2 he can discover that Arika is actually Evelyn. I do not think we have seen the last of William. Alex's letter at the end was heartbreaking & I think he is going to eliminate not join Gabriel (he may play at joining him at beginning)

I agree that David's scenes of saving William & killing the acolytes were very smart. As was Gabriel's plan to actually break Michael instead of messing with Alex (which would of actually been not only a cliche but a trite one)

I also loved the scene when Michael discovered the "betrayal" & went out of control.
Yes I want a second season
Flag
Agreed. Its refreshing that SYFY has actual dark and serious scifi show for once. Haven tried to be serious Twin Peaks-y stuff and then just turned into goofy trainwreck of "destined abusive romance", WH13 is just...eh and apart from Dominion, right now, SYFY only has Defiance, which has its ups and downs in goofyness too.
Flag
General Reisen said he was heading for New Delphi, not Helena. On everything else, including the drinking game, I agree.
Flag
+1 !!!

I agree with everything you said. I would add, that as much as i love Helix, for being over the top fun; that would not fit Dominion's post apocalyptic world. And i probably would not be watching, if it were a spoof.

Goodbye Becca, you were one of the most interesting characters, in the series, and i will miss you.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members