A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Summer is almost officially here and you're probably planning that really cool vacation or reenacting the volleyball sequence from Top Gun outside in the nice weather, but folks, there's lots more TV on the way. One of the new shows is Syfy's nutty post-apocalyptic-y angels vs. humans serial, Dominion. But is the show #blessed or should it be damned to the eternal hole where all bad TV goes to die? Find out in the latest edition of Hey TV.com, Isn't This Thing Based on That Other Thing?!

Dominion? Someone's making a TV show about that card game?

Well, not quite. Syfy's Dominion is related to another pop-culture product, but not a notable card game. Nope, instead this series is more or less a sequel to the 2010 film Legion, about the angel Michael joining up with humans to defend us from an attacking crew of angels led by Gabriel. The movie starred Paul Bettany, Lucas Black, Adrianne Palicki, Dennis Quaid, and Kevin Durand, and if you haven't seen it (and even if you have, because it's not like it was particularly memorable), it ended with Michael (Bettany) scaring off Gabriel and chattering about the importance of a baby and the mysterious tattoos on Jeep's (Black) body. CUT TO: 25 years later, after the Michael-Gabriel showdown—this is where Dominion begins. Some remaining human survivors are hunkered down in Las Vegas (now known as Vega). Michael is still hanging around as some sort of watcher, but society has been rebooted with more military power, more financial inequality, and a full-blown caste system. Throw in a half-dozen weird stories and a slew of different characters, and you have a flaming cocktail of crazy. 

Who are the survivors, and who is guiding this world in the aftermath of the angel apocalypse?

Dominion's story was adapted by Vaun Wilmott, but former Smallville, Alphas, and Defiance producers Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer joined the production at some point post-pilot, which was helmed by Legion director Scott Stewart. The cast is topped by Christopher Egan (Kings), who plays Alex Lannon, an orphan who receives some societal privileges thanks to his role in Vega's military guard. Tom Wisdom (300Pirate Radio) takes over for Bettany as Michael, and Langley Kirkwood (Black Sails and Strike Back) serves as Lucas Black's replacement as Jeep. TV viewers will recognize Alan Dale (The O.C.Lost, every other thing) and Anthony Stewart Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as General Risen and David Whele, respectively; they're two white dudes with conflicting thoughts on how to help Vega move forward. 

When do the angels and humans start throwing down?

Dominion premieres on Thursday, June 19, at 9pm on Syfy, following the Season 2 premiere of Defiance

Who might enjoy Dominion?

Do you find yourself watching every new series that Syfy brings to the airwaves? Is Supernatural's angel-related storytelling appealing to you? Are you into super cheesy, super earnest post-apocalyptic stuff? Yes? Then Dominion is probably going to be your new favorite show. 

What about Dominion is on the side of angels?

One thing Dominion has going for it is that there's so much different stuff happening that you're bound to find something that appeals to your personal sensibilities. This sucker is wild. In the pilot episode alone, the show hustles to explain its connection to Legion, introduces nearly a dozen characters as well as some mysterious and powerful children, pumps up the rhetoric of THE CHOSEN ONE, throws in some angel-on-angel violence and sudden stabbings, and somehow integrates a story about energy reactors. Does it all make sense? Not really. Will you be cackling through most of it? Probably. 

What about Dominion isn't particularly holy?

One thing Dominion has working against it is that there's so much different stuff happening that very little of it is given much time to develop, at least in the pilot (which is all Syfy sent out for review). The first episode has to work so hard to establish the countless layers of the premise that very little of each layer has enough space to truly work. The kitchen-sink approach to Dominion's set-up is certainly amusing, but it's also kind of exhausting. Unsurprisingly, the characters are walking, talking clichés; this is the kind of show where Head's character spouts lines like "Everything has a price!" with real verve. Plus, it's Syfy, so the special effects aren't particularly good. 

So, should I make a date with Dominion?

Oh, absolutely. Don't watch Dominion because it's good; it is not good. Still, it must be seen. There's a chance that the show could simply become a slow, plodding mess, trapped under the weight of its own self-seriousness and hackneyed dialogue about faith and democracy and the chosen one—but until then, we all need to experience this bad boy together. 

need to see a trailer. 

I can do that. 

Dominion premieres Thursday, June 19 at 9pm on Syfy.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/1/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Do you find yourself watching every new series that Syfy brings to the airwaves?

Answer: I had my fill of syfy and the 9/10 crap shows they have
Flag
Okay, I watched the movie I loved the movie and the series was odd but good I think they gave away a twist to early in the first episode or pilot still I am planning on watching the show
Flag
It was interesting. Made me download the movie tonight to see if I can understand the show better.

But just like Dean would say, these angels are real dicks.
Flag
I just watched & thoroughly enjoyed Dominion - same as the film Legion. I'm looking forward to more.

That's all that matters.
Flag
Just saw the show. I don't know what the hell this author is talking about when he said that Dominion is 'not good'. That is BS. I really enjoyed it. The acting was good, not over the top which all too often happens with these types of genres (it happened in Legion). The plot was pretty compelling and believable. And the Angel fight was bad-ass. In fact, all the angels were bad-ass (except the 8-balls).

I will definitely keep watching this show.
Flag
i loved the movie and am going to try the series but i would be more happy if the original movie cast was coming back....i'll reserve judgement until around the third to fourth episode as to whether this will be good or not....
Flag
I didn't know about this show til I just saw it was following Defiance's season premiere. Might as well give the pilot a shot, at least.
Flag
Honestly there is virtually nothing on TV right now (Teen Wolf please come back!) and this sounds wacky enough to be entertaining... and the guy with the wings has an air of Keanu Reeves that I can't help but go for... If he is not an appalling actor, this could be watchable...
Flag
I liked shows with lots of things going on rather than nothing happening so I guess I would give it a try. Hope it is not the following or UTD all over again.
Flag
It's not airing in Canada until september :( Guess I'll have to watch it online.
Flag
I'm one of 5 people who saw Legion in theaters and enjoyed it. So I'm game.
Flag
Staff
Hey, it made like 70 million! You're not alone. Apparently.
Flag
Read the article - O_O

Watched the trailer - O.O

I got nothin'.

This looks like one of those shows that'll be so crazy it just might work. I'm in lol.
Flag
*shrug* I don't know. I kind of want to like it, but it sounds like Defiance with angels. Humans and other beings trying to get by after a big war between two sides, mysterious agendas, moles, and so on.
Flag
Staff
At the end of the season, someone we thought was human peels the skin on their backs away and reveals him/herself to have been an angel all along!
Flag
That kind of was how last season's Defiance ended...
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
ASH and Alan Dale make it a goer. The cheese o meter will have to be switched off but then that's what will probably make it good/watchable. And as it's SiFy characters need only apply to please as you know the SFX are gonna suck, hard.
Flag
no thanks i already watch enough shows and i have a ton of stuff on netflix & amazon prime instant video i wanna watch.

oh yeah, and i'm a new dad, so i barely have any time to myself anyway.
Flag
Well crap... I'm not really interested in this, but there's nothing else to watch on Thursdays, so I'll probably end up watching. Hopefully it's terrible the same way Under the Dome is, which is pretty hilarious and entertaining.
Flag
Staff
It's SO MUCH MORE entertaining than Dome, so there's that.
Flag
I'm going with DUH! on that one....
Flag
Sold. LOL
Flag
Could it be? Another Under the Dome? Are we THAT lucky to be blessed twice in one summer? TV is grand!
Flag
Whenever 'Syfy' puts out a non-science or science-fiction related show...
Instant boycott for me.
Get your act together Syfy.
Flag
So, a sequel to the remake of the sequel to "The Prophecy"...?
Flag
Hey, you don't like giant killer mutant bears?

Oh, wait, wrong Prophecy... Although a series about a post-apocalyptic world of giant killer mutant bears running around could be kinda interesting. Let's see, Talia Shire's pregnant mother character was contaminated by the same mercury poisoning that caused the mutant bear/Indian legend brought to life. The camera even lingers longingly on her stomach at the end.

So let's say that she has the child, and he is The One, the Anti-Human who will lead a race of mutant Indian giant bears against the white man. There's a big war, the two sides eventually fight to a stalemate, and now humans and giant mutant bears must live in harmony. Sounds just like Dominion and Defiance. They could even get Graham Greene to do a crossover.

Flag
The funny thing is, TV.com lists Prophecy as being related to The Prophecy. So it must be true. :roll:

When were we going to get that featured to edit Related Shows again...?
Flag
I had my fill of tough Angels thanks to Supernatural!
Flag
Staff
Yeah, this is like the much worse version of that.
Flag
The worst version of Supernatural is Supernatural: Bloodlines.
Flag
Lucky that it was canceled! :)
Flag
One thing I've always been stuck on since I first heard about this series is why bother connect it to Legion in the first place? Legion was awful, and the premise for the show could easily have been established on its own without having to be connected to the movie at all.
Flag
Staff
True story: I purposefully did no research about this show when I got the gig from the boss. I watched the entire pilot thinking to myself, "This is SO MUCH like that one terrible movie starring Paul Bettany..." and then went to IMDb to look some names up and BOOM.
Flag
Someone at Syfy probably Stargate did great for us, let find another 2nd rate film we can create a show from, and somehow they stumble across Legion as the perfect candidate.
Flag
I'll have a look at the pilot and decide from there, I think...
Flag
Sounds like a reboot of The Saints of Suckville. A show so bad it never even existed. Negative Nonsie says "No thank yih"
Flag
ok so I'm going to save up 3 episodes and watch it all in one night and see if it's worth watching more of or not. If Dominion turn out to be the kind of crazy storytelling like American Horror Story, Salem, or even Helix, I'm in. If it turns out to be more like Under the Dome type of storytelling, I'm out.
Flag
Alan Dale is, and always will be "Jim from Neighbours" :p
Flag
LOL
Flag
Angels killing humans, fuck yeah i'm in!!!
Just hope they don't puss out and make it to PG
Flag
And even if I was completely uninterested in the story, I'd watch it just for the cast. I must watch anything starring Buffy alums, and Alan Dale, well, you pretty much summed it up with '(The O.C., Lost, every other thing)', plus it's always good to see Aussies doing well. Hopefully the series does better than Kings did for Chris Egan's sake.
Flag
Staff
KINGS!
Flag
I'm actually pretty excited for this, I even re-watched Legion in anticipation, and while it's not good, it definitely had some promising aspects that I hope are developed further in the series.

Visually, the movie excelled at creating a real sense of the apocalyptic nature of the story, and genre-wise, the movie actually created some generally scary moments. I'd definitely disagree that Legion was a forgettable film, that possessed swearing grandmother was a site to behold, as was the bone-crunching ice-cream man.

It has the potential to be a very morally grey series too, which is always good, and it would be excellent to see the motivations of both the humans and the angels (and anyone else who may be involved) be developed, because it could result in some really intense conflict for viewers.

There's also obviously the large amount of material the series can draw from religion, and/ or alternatively, create their own expansive mythology. If the series keeps what worked in the film, and continues to develop the other stuff, I can't see why it can't be a decent show.
Flag
Staff
The pilot they sent was so incomplete, so I can't really speak to the visual effects. I hope they're OK moving forward.
Flag
I will definitely check the pilot... at least ("Hi my name is Blue and I am a sci-fi addict" "Hello Blue! " LOL) although I am not into religious stuff...
Flag
I'm just gonna say... I loved Kings... how i miss that show... way ahead of it's time, or in the wrong channel...

As for this... i'll give it a try, just for the sake of the above...
Flag
Yeah, Kings had the potential to be great, though the allegorical references were too on the nose sometimes. And by the looks of things, Christopher Egan is going to be playing a similar type of character here - the soldier/warrior type with a forbidden relationship with the princess.
Flag
Can't wait for it.
Flag
With luck this'll make Under The Dome look sensible and straightforward.

I'll have a bucket full 'o crazy to go, please.
Flag
Is Giles really this desperate for cash?
Flag
yeah,why not?
Flag
This is the kind of show that I will wait to watch until I see how if people are into it still after 4 or 5 episodes.
Flag
So let me get this straight Legion was so good that SyFy adapted it to a series, and yet Sanctuary, WH13 and all the Stargates get cancelled? About all I can say is wow....
Flag
Staff
More or less.
Flag
and Eureka!
Flag
You're not alone nobody understands Syfy
Flag
It is syfy, they don't care if people watch the shows so long as they earn enough money to stay on the air. Syfy= b list content.
Flag
Those Sharknado sequels need to be funded somehow, you know.

Flag
Unfortunately, the demand for GOOD science fiction is not very high, whereas the demand for BAD science fiction is somewhat larger. So get read for Sharknado 3: Here They Come Again and Sharknado 4: Are We Still Doing This and Sharknade 5: Yep.
Flag
I feel almost like Syfy is shooting for the Kardashian approach at this point. The more loud, obnoxious and ridiculous they can make something to draw word of mouth buzz is all they care about. While it drums up advertisers interest and brings in early revenue, it never actually seems to draw actual viewers to warrant any of the buzz or ad revenue. Definitely feeling a house of cards scenario in their future.
Flag
And you know, Alphas, Being Human, BSG, Caprica, and a long slew of other great shows. Buy hey, Defiance is coming back too, so clearly that must have been a great show, right?.... Right?... Come on crickets, agree with me!!??
Flag
There's next to nothing to watch at the moment so I'll give it a go out of sheer boredom!
Flag
Oh come on, you can't just say it's not good. I bet it's so much better than Defiance, it certainly looks that way.
Flag
Defiance isn't that bad. Sure it's a western more than it's a SF show, but then again, so was Outland, a movie from my lost youth.
Flag
Well, since you've set the bar so high there.....
Flag
Sheer boredom will probably get me to give this a go. It's gonna be a long summer till stuff I wanna see comes back anyway;)
Flag
Ugh! This is yet another that I'm not really looking forward to giving the '4 Episode Test' to.
Flag
At this stage in the game, 4 episodes is starting to feel like way too much generosity. Given the excessive amount of other quality shows spread amongst other networks, I think we should start looking at a 2 episode test (3 if the pilot is a 2-parter).

Heck, if networks can cancel, expand or renew series from the 1-2 episode mark, why shouldn't viewers test sampling be that short too?
Flag
No, no, no, no. In regular fall season premieres, episode 5 generally falls during Sweeps Week - yes, TV.com has it all wrong. :-) It should be 5 episodes because episode 5 is generally when they unleash the really good stuff.
Flag
Or when networks air episodes out of order with the intent of showcasing their better episodes early to draw up viewership, which of course usually fails and confuses the hell out of viewers.
Flag
I already give up on the really bad ones after 1 or 2, so if this falls into that category then so be it. It's the shows that are borderline that really need the 'Test'.
Flag
Really SyFy have not gone near that channel since the end of SGA. The channel has no backbone
Flag
You didn't try out SG:U? Alphas? Haven? Technically not SyFy, but Continuum isn't half bad either if you're willing to give them a chance.
Flag
Oh I gave SGU a chance and I found it to be a wannabe for BSG and they also seemed to be no click with the cast unlike SG-1 & SGA as for haven it was a bit to deja-vu for (as it reminded me to much of other shows) alphas 2 episodes in I just gave up on it. I am old school as some would say "if it ain't broke don't fix try to fix it"
Flag
I liked SGU a lot until their isolation in space was a virtually non-existent thing. Between the Lucian Alliance being able to catch up to them, the bullshit plot-device that was the communication stones (although to be fair, did not originate with SGU). Or the fact the ship could literally save them almost any time it wanted to, but had absolutely no means to communicate with them until later when it started playing military strategy pop quiz in their heads....

Come to think of it, there was actually a whole lot to dislike about SGU, and that's without even mentioning 90% of the cast.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members