A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Things happened! Things really happened!

People that we knew died. Michael got a change of clothing and did something besides escape. Even if he kinda escaped a deal. Plots were advanced. The end game is in motion.

Of course, it all seems like a prelude to the important stuff really happening. And it seems like we've been in prelude mode forever. Since at least episode 6, maybe earlier.

I'm kind of sick of the whole David/William thing, so let's start there. William has a hamburger. Excitement! He starts talking as if he's someone else, but he won't say who. It's kind of irritating, and even more irritating to recap. If I call him William, it's apparently accurate. But I don't know what else to call him. Guy Who Looks Like William? That doesn't seem very professional in a recap.

In any case, he has a conversation with David Not-His-Father which consists mostly of "Come with me." "No." "But you're my son." "No." "But I really really want you to come with me." "No." This goes on for quite a while and it's about as exciting as you might expect. Then William gets a coaster with message, gives David the world's fakest hug, and sends him outside to get arrested while he slips out the back.

Oh, during their conversation, the world's worst assassin spends forever to get into position to walk slowly up to David, slowly draw a gun, and get captured before she can slowly fire off more than a shot or two.

As I vaguely predicted last week, Gabriel isn't too thrilled with a dyad in his city. After yet another. Damned. Escape. Riesen sends Clementine on so he can get the Amphora. It's sitting in the cage in the middle of the marketplace. Clementine has botched her escape, Gabriel cuts his throat because she's why Riesen is holding onto his human half, and Alan Dale gets all steely-eyed and announces that he's Duma. And now he's working for Gabriel, as Gabriel wanted all along.

This is a bit out of left field. Julian was able to keep Lyrae from being evicted from his body, so he must have some control. But here Gabriel makes it sound likes it's all or nothing. Also, presumably Riesen has other reasons to stay human than just Clementine Mk. 2 staying alive. I suppose this will become relevant when he attacks Vega, and either the destruction of his city or Claire's imminent demise inspire him to assert his human half again.

Michael finds himself in Mallory in an astral form kinda way. He's wearing farmer's clothing, and has one of those long semi-mystical conversations with the Prophet where they seem to be sharing half of their information telepathically. I guess that's how angels talk when they're not related. Anyway, the Prophet wants Michael to kill himself and fulfill his promise to keep the Mallory fire burning. Michael offers a fiddle of gold against his soul... oh, wait. He offers to play a game of poker against the Prophet. After a really badly filmed round of poker, Michael wins because of "faith," and realizes the Prophet wants Alex for some reason. His astral self then pops back to Vega into his body, and he realizes that Alex's markings are warning them that the Son of Morning--Lucifer--is up to something.

That leaves Alex, Gates, and Claire. The rebels have taken the nuclear reactor and the rods need to be inserted before it blows sky-high. Alex and Gates have to work together, snipe at each other, break into the reactor, somehow lose the rest of the soldiers with them because I don't think they all got killed, and... Gates recreates the scene from the end of Wrath of Khan by going into the chamber alone, putting the rods back in, and taking a lethal dose of radiation. No sign of a Genesis Planet, but he does have a long last goodbye with Claire over the radio. I guess Nic Bishop is off the show.

I wouldn't say the reactor attack was my favorite part of the episode. But it had that humor I was talking about that the characters often seem to lack because they're stuck in a post-Apocalyptic wasteland. I particularly liked Alex nicknaming Gates "Precious." His vague comradery with the rebel leader, former soldier Ramirez, was also pretty good. The Michael/Prophet conversations, as cryptic as they were, also seemed to have some zing to them. It also gave Tom Wisdom something to do for once besides hack at eight-balls, get tortured, escape, get tortured again, and get PO'd at Gabriel.

Arika sits in a cell and gloats. Gabriel gets a few ominous speeches and cuts a woman's throat. And the episode ends with him dropping the Amphora off in front of Vega, and clouds of blackness spreading out of it.

As I noted, at least this episode finally kicked the show out of prelude mode and into big showdown mode. This is what I was talking about last week. I don't expect every episode to be a major win for the heroes. But Alex did stop the reactor, and Michael did thwart the Prophet momentarily.

There were a few odd script lapses. For instance, Michael asks who the voice is that told the Prophet to play cards for his soul. But... when did he hear a voice? I don't think we did. I suppose that means that the Prophet isn't Lucifer, but that Lucifer is speaking to him.

So overall, I'd call this episode a win. Nothing momentous happened, but at least they finally got off the pot as it were.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
14 Comments
Comments (13)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 15, 2015
I have no idea what or who William is, but I half expected him to say he was Jesus after his whole line of being in the desert for 40 days.

And I agree about the assasin. She was so badass making her way to David and then suddenly descended into the worst killer ever.

At least were finally picking up speed now...
Flag
Sep 15, 2015
Jesus? Who the hell is Jesus? Nobody by that name ever existed in the Dominion universe.
Flag
Sep 15, 2015
Oh Jesus relax! I didn't say I thought he was the second coming of Christ. I simply noted the correlation between William being in the desert 40 days and the story of Jesus being in the desert 40 days. It's odd they chose the same number of days when they could have picked any number. Regardless, any character they write in will become part of the Dominion universe whether it's Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, or little red riding hood.
Flag
Sep 14, 2015
I was a little confused (the fire raged, the Prophet appeared to listen and then that led to the Michael comment) as to the Prophet not being Lucifer himself (with the rules set up on this show, it would seem that Lucifer could walk the earth as a Dyad only because, you know, Michael cast him out...and it would be an easy explanation for why Michael didn't recognize him, especially since earlier in the episode Gabriel didn't know who the angel in Risen was) and I am vaguely wondering if this is over political correctness on the show's part. You know, one black character, he's the Devil. But seriously, the show has set up enough rules and screwed with the history of the Bible enough and then gave a much more pleasant version of the Alex prophecy that you have to wonder. I mean, the show is based on a movie where ultimately God said, whoops, no Michael you were right. And it was an argument that Lucifer had lost, and was on Gabriel's current side, ages ago. Now, who knows, Lucifer might have changed his mind.

So, is the thought that William is a dyad? It crossed my mind. But then, I guess I am waiting for something at all to happen with this story and I guess we are waiting for him and Alex to come face to face? Maybe? But like seriously, next week's episode might reveal some stuff but I don't know how much plot is going to move forward since they are all under a curse or whatever. My knowledge of curses is currently limited to whatever happens on OUAT.

Remember when all we wondered about was whether Alex was actually half angel? I remember when the show wanted us to wonder more about Alex in general.

Honestly, the biggest thing I took away from the episode (new, I'd guessed Lucifer at least last week) was that Gates told Alex that Vega only had a few more years left to survive. That really should be information that Alex tells Claire.
More+
Flag
Sep 13, 2015
My takeaway was defintiely that the Prophet serves Lucifer and hears/conveys his messages. Interesting that they suggest a preoccupation with rules and order for him, but maybe that's just a red herring. Tom Wisdom looks really weird in that getup. I used to think the net shirts etc. were over the top but I'm good with them now. Hakeem Kae-Kazim is fun to watch and I appreciated that interlude, even if the poker was as you say not very well done.

The hug between David and William was bittersweet. We know that Wm. was betraying David, but seemed touched for a moment by his father's emotion anyway.

Boy did they drag out the reactor death scene. Annoying that they left the final core up for almost the duration of the dialogue. Rather than raising tension as it was very baldly trying to do, it distracted from the exchange between Gates and Claire. Although I didn't care for the writing there either ("this is NOT The First Avenger and those two are Not Even Cap and Carter gahdammit"), the actors were game enough and it would have been a bit more touching if Gates had finished his job and then had a blistery lie-down for the rest of the conversation so we could all focus on it. Not like Gates to get off task, especially since he knew the stakes better than anyone.

Agree that "Precious" and the oneupsmanship between Alex and Gates was amusing. Good Alex content this episode, which is encouraging.

I hope they don't neatly kill/write off Noma too, just to give Alex and Claire an excuse to get back together. More chemistry with Noma, for sure. I hope Noma's pains are her wings trying to grow back, though the chances are of course slim/none.

Not sure what to expect out of the final three episodes but I hope they can pull it all together.
More+
Flag
Sep 15, 2015
I too wondered if Noma's pains could be her wings coming back. I'm also with you, in that I don't want to see Alex back with Claire.
Flag
Sep 14, 2015
The "order" that Lucifer offers may also attract the surviving humans as a way to have life go back to "normal". He tempts people to follow him by offering them what they want most.

I'm more interested in seeing how Gabriel and Michael interact with him. They fought against him in the first angelic war, it would be interesting for Michael or Gabriel to side with him this time around.
Flag
Sep 14, 2015
It would, though he seemed rather malevolently disposed towards Michael, and his desire to obtain Alex is concerning. Unless he also ultimately wants to be back in Father's good graces and thinks the markings can help him.
Flag
Sep 13, 2015
Lucifer in modern-day mythology is often about games and "the rules." From "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and movies like Crossroads, to signing contracts and bartering souls.
Flag
Sep 14, 2015
That does make sense, in the context of games and wagers (contracts). I tend to think of chaos as being more his thing.
Flag
Sep 12, 2015
I loved almost every part of this episode, with the exception of William and David up to William setting David up. That last part was priceless and funny as hell!

At first I thought I had fast-forwarded too quickly and had missed Michael turn farmer. But then I realized that the prophet had called him to Mallory. I have to say I'm bummed that the prophet's only Lucifer's agent, and not the Morningstar himself, but I'm glad that he's finally been revealed. I'm also guessing that William's either a Dyad now, or another of Lucifer's minions. It's kinda' funny that his mentors always turn out evil.

I loved the sniping between Alex and Gates. I wish they'd had more time together to be jealous of each other, it was fun to watch. I also loved how Alex and that rebel leader interacted.

I'm loving posessed (?) Gabriel. He's far more fun than Julian will ever be. Speaking of which, Julian was nowhere to be seen, and I barely missed him. Though I'm sure he'll show up again soon to rain hellfire on Gabriel's parade.

This show benefits hugely when it centers on Alex, Michael and Gabriel.
More+
Flag
Sep 12, 2015
Commenting on the prior episode I said that my guess was that the Prophet would turn out to be Lucifer. Looks like I was partially right and that the Prophet is Lucifer's deputy (Mephistopheles or Beelzebub perhaps?)

I also criticized McKee's acting saying that it had deteriorated from Season 1 but she was rather good this time.

Yeah the show could use more humor.
Flag