A Dominion Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Remember how I said last week was kind of a filler episode. Well, so is this week's episode.

Remember how they had wrapped up the first season last year, more or less after eight episodes? Well, we're eight episodes in and they don't seem to be anywhere close to a resolution this week. The title is surprisingly accurate, because they sure are taking the long way to the season finale.

First, there's Alex. Arguably the show's central character. Remember him? The writers barely do. He gets a brief fight which, just like last week, we don't see. After a decapitation, the fight is cut short by Michael when the archangel flies down, his Angel-Senses tingling.

So they get back to the house, Noma tells Michael about the Prophet, Michael recognizes his Firestarter-style handiwork from Mallory, and that's the last we see of them. Nobody tells Alex about the Prophet, so way to sideline your main character, writers.

Just as an aside, why can't Michael fly Alex and Noma to Vega? Singly, together, something? With all their angelic powers, can't archangels carry someone? Instead they drive around in a truck even after Michael finds them.

But if you wanted to get your dose of Syfy pseudo-nudity, this is the episode for you!Since electro-torture didn't work for Julian last week, now he tries drugging Gabriel. This leads Gabriel to... hallucinate an escape, I guess. He wanders off, finds himself in a room with Claire, Noma, and Arika--does he even know who Arika is?--and has lots o'sex. Then it turns out it was all a dweam of extwaordinary magnitude.

So either it's the drugs talking, or Gabriel would rather have sex with beautiful women than escape from his sworn enemy. Or both. Anyhoo, Archangel Thinks-With-His-Little-Angel wakes up and Julian explains that it was all a dweam of extwaordinary magnitude. Now he can bend Gabriel to his will. And then... Julian gives up that plan and whips it out (the Amphora, perverts!), since Riesen finally told him where it is. Even though there's been no indication Riesen should know where it is. I guess Noma told him where she hid it, off-camera.

Oh, we get lots of scenes of Alan Dale having heart problems, and Clementine Mk. 2 either begging him to become a dyad, or calling for Julian. Nobody likes a whiner, hon.

The best part of the episode are the flashbacks to the pre-Apocalypse War Riesen. We find out that he was a civilian bean counter working for the military. Or... something. They weren't very clear on that. A guy (identified as a private in the end credits) bosses Young Riesen around, and it turns out he's the embezzler Riesen was sent to find. The lesser angels start streaming down in a fairly impressive scene, Riesen kills the eight-ball private, steals a uniform, and goes home to Clementine and baby Claire.

So Riesen thinks that he's a fraud, and somehow this is relevant to him choosing to be a dyad. Maybe he was hoping it would shut up Clementine Mk. 2.

Back in Vega, the world's most boring rebellion wraps up. David is backstabbing both Arika and Zoe, Claire and Gates find out Arika is helping the rebellion, and they set a cunning trap to set up the rebels for capture, blow up the armory (what armory?), regain the agri-tower, and out Arika as traitor. She gets arrested but apparently left poisoned booze behind to kill Gates, the Foster Brooks of Vega. And Claire is so ticked off at Zoe for losing her baby that she plugs a captive Zoe in the head. Goodbye, Christina Chong.

But in case you could keep track of all this, there's a new subplot. The real William (not a hallucination! not an eight-ball!) returns to Vega! He identifies himself at the gate but apparently word spreads like molasses in Vega. Because William goes to a bar and none of the Mad Max extras recognize him. Granted, William looks like he stepped out of a Mad Max movie himself. But one guy doesn't recognize William because he no longer has "buttery" hands. Which sounds vaguely obscene. So William mugs the guy for beer money, and then starts going on some "God loves me so he smote my enemies!" spiel to the rest of the barflies. It's not that great a story (Hint: God wins), but the barflies lap it up and it's apparently proof that William still has that old-time religion. He has some claw marks or something on his chest, calls them "markings", and is apparently getting ready to lead the barflies of Vega on a bloody rebellion against... someone.

*sigh* So Claire has just put down a rebellion, and they're apparently going to start another rebellion. David is on the loose, so maybe now there'll be at least a three-way fight between the V-6s, the rebels David gathered together, and William as the new Lord of the Barflies. Toss in Julian sending his army of eight-balls, and maybe Alan Dale doing something other than pant and clutch at his chest. "This is the big one! I'm comin', Clementine!"

It could add up to a season finale. The promos promise a big eight-ball attack which Alex and Michael getting involved, and Claire finally meeting back up with Alex. But then again, promos lie. A lot.

That's just my opinion, though, I could be wrong. What do you think?
13 Comments
Comments (13)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 02, 2015
What a stupid show, second only to Under the Dome, but without any fun at all.
Flag
Aug 31, 2015
It is curious that I think if you add up Alex, Noma and Michael's screen time this season, they have been in about two and a half episodes, less together. I get that when they sent Alex on his little journey quest (or whatever the hell the point of his going to Gabriel's aerie was) and the writers likely have no real interest is a road trip show since they seem overly invested in the politics of this little town. But again, you sort of wonder do they have any real idea what role Alex is supposed to eventually play? I mean, I still prefer the new version of the prophecy, but has Michael mentioned that to Alex or Noma yet? I almost sort of think they are having the same problem I sometimes sense they seem to think they have with Scott on Teen Wolf. Like, you make him this big destined character, but what fun is it if he all powerful or all knowing or fulling in charge of his powers, we have to use all sort of plot devices to throw kinks in the work. On Teen Wolf, they could occasionally revert back to the fairly obvious, he's a seventeen/eighteen year old kid who can be an idiot sometimes but he means well and, in addition, none of the older werewolves in his life seem to have bothered to really attempt to train him to fight and neither Melissa nor Rafe seem like parents who would have signed him up for karate lessons. Here, the issue is, I'm occasionally not sure who Alex is, I like his well enough and I sense that is the actor truly making lemons out of lemonade. But really.

So, it seems the safe money that the Prophet is actually Lucifer right? Less because of the whole fire thing and more that if you've have Michael, Gabriel and Uriel and mentioned Raphael, there is an arch angel generally also mentioned when you are talking about all of them. And you'd think Lucifer watching this whole clusterfuck is somewhere between, I knew I was right or I am still trying to gain Father's favor and want to have a say in what happens. Given he gave the new prophecy, he seems to want to protect Alex (though 'East' is very vague as I have no idea where they are), I feel like that is a good bet. I have no other argument that he is anyone else at this point.

William, well, I imagine he just figured out he is a con artist and is looking to reestablish himself in a lifestyle that his father had in the former world. I'm trying to work out that his story, maybe has some validity to it, but maybe also was a bit of kismet and the thugs got put down from fall out from Claire's bombing of the aerie.

I was a little taken aback at Claire. I get she was upset but she also seemed to understand that Zoe had been authentic in her peace talks. I presume we will see that actress relatively soon in another Sy Fy production and she had to leave South Africa. Because if she did that to Zoe, imagine what she will have to do to both David and Arika when she discovers all of what they did.
More+
Flag
Aug 31, 2015
I find the whole "David disrupts the parley" thing confusing. I thought last week Gates said that he thought Zoe was just as surprised by the sniper as they were. But then a few minutes later he's saying that they should take a military approach and wipe out the rebels. Which they followed through with this week.

And then you have Zoe letting David live even though she knew he disrupted the parley via Pearson. It's a stupid decision at the time, and in retrospect it gets her captured and then subsequently killed. She falls into Claire's trap because she listens to David's warning (from Arika). Granted, he thinks his message is sincere. But still, her ending up dead traces back to her letting David live when she should have known better.
Flag
Aug 31, 2015
Yes, when you try to logic out the whole Vega thing it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think its part of the issue with this season, I mean, the Mallory story was so interesting, I even found most of New Delphi kind of interesting, until the end there. Its what is frustrating, they are showing us they know how to tell an interesting story but focusing so much on Vega that you are sort of like, I wish they had ostracized David at the end of last season so that we had little to no reason to actually go to Vega. I mean Gabriel even seems to be losing interest in the idea of going after Vega and now he will have more to deal with .
Flag
Aug 29, 2015
The whole time I was watching this one I felt like the show was providing a series of noisy, paper-thin distractions to keep me from noticing that they were actually robbing my house or something. Don't now how else to describe it. There was a lot of 'action' but it didn't feel like even they cared all that much. The only time I cared about anything was when Gabriel was hallucinating about the women taking the spikes out of his wings and momentarily wondering if they were actually ripping his wings out, since the show has gotten so gory lately. But then I remembered that Julian wants his body so that wouldn't have been the case.

It's been a while since we've had an archangel sex party; too bad this one was only imaginary. I have to say, as annoying as I find Gabriel, I nearly enjoyed it.

I second your tone on this entire review, Gislef. Nicely done, and +1 for 'Lord of the Barflies'.
Flag
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks!

Sadly, I'm a child of the media. So this week's review included references to Stephen King, Sanford & Son, Dean Martin roasts, Spider-Man, Calgon, and Kentucky Fried Movie.
Flag
Aug 30, 2015
Loved the Sanford & Son...Clementine I'm coming comment.
Flag
Aug 29, 2015
I liked this episode, though mainly because it confirmed the randyness of angels (remember Michael in S1E1), and turned an important corner in Vega's story: it made it interesting. Turning Claire into a cold-blooded killer was the best reason for that first rebellion. Maybe William and Clair will reconcile (they are married), and have a fun welcome for daddy dearest. David should just cut loose and make a run for it. He has no idea how effed he is right now.

I'm having a very hard time believing that Gabriel, who could previously possess higher angles, can't now possess an 8 ball. That's pathetic! And where are his 8 balls and higher angels? Are not a single one of the ones in New Delphi on his side? He had better step up to his former badassery, or he's going down in the books as the wimpiest archangel in history.
Flag
Aug 28, 2015
Oh just realized the title error. It says it's Defiance not Dominion next to the episode title.

Flag
Aug 28, 2015
Noted and fixed. Thanks!
Flag
Aug 28, 2015
Thank you for the comical review. The season started off great and yet we end up here. I fell asleep watching it and had to finish it today.

I'm not sure that the real William or whatever he is found God since he killed a guy for beer money and noting his former buttery hands. Additionally, I have no clue where William fits into the story at this point unless he ends up back with Claire. She's lost Alex, the baby and presumably Gates, so who knows maybe she'll like this less buttery more bad ass version of William.

As for Gabriel...I was wondering if Julian could use Gabriel to sire a fleet of dyads?

Hopefully next week will bring something better. More prophet story and less the rest.
Flag
Aug 29, 2015
William is taking a page from his dad's book; he doesn't believe anything anymore but he remembers being able to inspire people when he did, and learned from David that swaying the masses can be profitable. I think he actually bit Alex's style with the 'markings' business. If they want to stick him back with Claire, fine. I can't be fussed about any of it at this point.
Flag
Aug 28, 2015
And the text recap is up, or should be shortly.
Flag