Doogie Howser, M.D.

Air Doogie

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 23, 1991 on ABC

7.9
  • Doogie and Raymond both win!

While I'm not thrilled with how the writers handled Doogie talking to Dr. J, it does work and given the time constraints, I can see why they did it. Yet, it would have been better if we knew that Doogie and Dr. J had had a relationship (advise, etc) before this episode. I mean from what I can see this is the first time they meet and what basis exists for Doogie to imagine Dr. J, instead of someone else in his life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they got Dr. J to do it and he did a great job, I'm just having a problem with the vehicle. How hard would it have been for them to have him on twice, say at the beginning of the season to establish a basis for this imagination. Another thought would have been to make it a two part episode.

Well, what can I say hindsight is 20/20 and they dealt with the real world and not one from 20 years into the future looking back. Maybe I'm not being fair to the writers, but I can still wonder, can't I?

I'm really happy with this episode and rate it around 9.6 or so and given we can't rate with the proper guaranty any longer, I like always I round up, and hence it is a 10! It really is an episode well worth 30 minutes of your day.