Doogie Howser, M.D.

Doogie the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 13, 1989 on ABC

• Wonderful Christmas episode that transcends generations and the years.

This is a really fun 30 minute episode combining teenage level drama and lessons on responsibility with a Dr. House smart level character (Doogie), but who isn't a jerk. It it really hard to see how they cram so much outstanding material into under 30 minutes, but they do it - especially in this episode. Doogie teaches us responsibilities beyond his emotional age, for emotions aren't always tied to brains in either direction. Poor Wanda, at 16, has to learn what it would mean to be the wife of a doctor! For some even the late 20's to early 30's ends up being too much for the wives of doctor and to put a 16 year old girl through it, wow, this series really expects a lot from its characters, doesn't it?

Maybe this review is as much about the series, as it is about the episode, itself, but this "Christmas episode," just is doing that to me. Both the series and the episode are ahead of its time and while it would be great to see it updated to 2011, I'm NOT sure its simple view of the would would find enough support for prime time. Maybe a Showtime or HBO would be the proper place for an updated series showing us smart kids in multiple disciplines (medicine, physics, politics, etc).