Dora the Explorer

Weekdays 9:00 AM on Nickelodeon Premiered Aug 14, 2000 In Season

Dora the Explorer Fan Reviews (170)

4.9
  • Dora the Explorer should really be shot.

We were all kids once in our lives, having fun and watching great cartoons on TV. One of the most memorable cartoons we came across at some point was Dora the Explorer, a 30-minute show about a young Spanish girl going on adventures with her animal friends whilst speaking Spanish.

When I was a kid, I did watch Dora the Explorer and I even used to have a Dora birthday plush from Canada. Now, I think that Dora the Explorer is one of the worst kids' shows that Nick Jr has shown on TV. It is pretty much on the same level as Peppa Pig and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (which completely ruined the iconic mouse character we once knew). I have decided to review this show based on the episodes I've seen as a kid and everything I have written in this review is my own opinion. Also, I will add a new topic: Educational value

Plot:

This show doesn't have much of an interesting plot. To summarize the plot of this show, basically Dora is going on an adventure with her monkey friend, Boots. They pretty much have to fix these stupid scenarios that occur in these adventures and they have to find items that can help them along the way.

OK, I've barely explained the plot and from here I can already tell that it doesn't make sense. How on earth can Dora go on adventures with a wild animal? If this was reality, Dora would be hunted and most likely dead.

So, in these adventures (if you can even call them that), Dora and Boots often meet other characters and they are often stopped by Swiper the Fox, who wants the items that Dora and Boots found. They usually say: 'Swiper, no swiping' about 3 or 4 times then he goes away and drops the items he swiped. After that, the adventure is over and the characters celebrate with a stupid song.

OK, so I can obviously tell that this plot is fucked up. Why would there be a fox trying to swipe items and why would Dora say 'Swiper, no swiping?' Again if this were reality and Dora was stopping a thief or a rapist that way for example, all her items would be taken and she'd be dumped in a nasty trailer or van.

Characters:

Now, I move on to the characters. Obviously they all have some sort of issue, especially Dora. These characters are absolutely useless and most of them serve no purpose in this godawful trainwreck of a show.

Dora: She is the main character of the show and a very clueless one at that. She's not only annoying but she seems uneducated aswell. Everytime she and Boots go on one of their shitty adventures, Dora would stop halfway to ask the audience (us) some really stupid and repetitive questions. Here's an example:

Dora: We need to go to a hill. Where's the hill.

Audience: Behind you.

Dora: Where's the hill?

Audience: Behind you!

Dora: WHERE'S the HILL?

Audience: OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE IT'S BEHIND YOU IDIOT!

See? This just proves that Dora seems like she's blind or deaf. She really needs to get her eyes and ears tested to see if she needs a hearing aid or glasses. Also, she always wanders around the forest as if nothing bad will happen to her and she's also really (and I mean really) naive.

Boots: Dora's friend, who is of a course a monkey (which is a WILD ANIMAL!) that can talk. OK, how on earth can he talk and why does he wear those red boots of his? Also, why isn't he hunting and trying to kill Dora like a real monkey should?

Diego: Oh god it's Dora's older cousin! He's also annoying and naive, just like Dora (no wonder these two idiots are related to each other). Also, he has his own show which is on the same bloody level as Dora! (Oh god, why does he have a show too? WHY?) He's also doing a lot of dangerous activities, just like Dora aswell! It's surprising to see that he and Dora aren't fucking dead in a swamp!

Dora's parents: I have nothing to say about them except that they're completely irresponsible since they're unaware of what Dora is doing 99% of the time. They're on the same level as Jessie Prescott from Disney's 'Jessie'.

Swiper: The saddest excuse of a villain I've ever seen in my life, even sadder than the villains in Totally Spies and Trollz combined. He's trying to steal a load of useless items from Dora and he can't even swipe anything because Dora is saying 'Swiper, no swiping!' Why would he listen to this 7 year old little shit anyway? If this were reality, he would also try to kill Dora and possibly Diego.

Backpack: Oh god, the backpack talks too? Really? Really? The backpack is so bloody annoying and when it sings it's stupid 'backpack, backpack' song, sometimes I just want to rip the bloody thing apart so it isn't singing anymore? Let's just hope we don't have any other talking objects...

Map: NO. FUCKING NO. HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT, THE MAP ALSO TALKS AND IT SINGS AS IF IT'S HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! The Map seriously annoys me with it's song, OH MY MOTHERFUCKING GOD, I GET THAT YOU'RE A MAP WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME DIRECTIONS BUT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SING!

Jokes:

There's none.

Moral values:

Ah yes, Dora teaches you so much things. For example, she basically teaches kids to wander around in forests without their parent's permission and those kids will think it's OK to get a monkey to follow them around when it's a wild animal!

Educational value:

The only educational value in this show is that it teaches kids Spanish. Even the educational value questions me because what kid under 7 knows the entire Spanish language? I used to do Spanish in my first year of secondary school and it was difficult to learn!

Summary:

I decided to give this show a rating of 1. I would've given it a 0 but the lowest rating available for me at the moment is a 1.