Downton Abbey

Season 3 Episode Christmas Special

Christmas Special 2012

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 25, 2012 on ITV

• Oh Dear ... (SPOILERS)

To be honest, I was expecting MUCH more from this 2012 Christmas Special than we actually ended up receiving. I am used to such quality writing and casting that this one left me feeling a bit ... flat. All the Scottish stuff had some beautiful scenery but the actual storyline was unnecessary and 'stole' a lot of time from all that could have been happening at Downton. Dan Stevens has been up and down about his contract with the show for over a year now. Clearly, given the final scene, he has decided not to renew it. I don't know where this leaves Mary and the as-yet-unamed heir. (Will it be Matthew Robert or something like that?) I loved the scenes between Isobel and Dr. Clarkson, they were very endearing, but, overall, I felt that too much was squashed into a relatively short space of time. All the characters seemed like they needed to 'hurry'. Having Matthew dead and Sybil dead and the two babies each with just one parent was a bit lame. I'm sure the writers could have come up with a better exit for Matthew because the whole 'dying after a baby has just been born' has already been done just a few episodes ago, Having said that, this show is of the highest quality and I look forward to what Julian Fellowes has for us in Season 4.