Downton Abbey

Episode 2

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2012 on ITV

• must save Downton?

Cora was not being indifferent or callous when she stated that The Levinsons are not at fault and have given quite enough to DA,She said,quite truthfully,that they could be fine in a smaller estate.

Matthew has no obligation to hand over his money. I'm sure a way will be found to save DA but,if they lived in a smaller place, they could still employ servants. It would not be a dead end situation.

A program re Highclere Castle said that,in Edwardian Times) 3 maids would share a ghastly room in the eaves(about 5 floors up) They would have much less walking in a smaller place and less floor scrubbing.

I'm rooting for Martha(Shirley),Cora and Branson-more power to them.

Lots of people were uprooted during these times and many had to emigrate.
  • Sell Downton or NOT?

In this episode we see first hand how insanity, stupidity, egoism,recklessness and other human virtues(!) lead things to a dead end. Matthew's selfishness ,Mary's pressure on Matthew ,Violet's scamming plans, Cora's ignorance and Robert's unsustainable investments have led to a more than possible loss of Downton.Although Matthew seems quite considerate about his truthfulness of sentiments towards Lavinia's father , he has to come to his senses and help Crawleys for real. Even if it seems that he's taking advantage of this unexpected fortune, he has to respect the fact that everything tha's happening has a reason.But anyway I loved Cora's mother reaction when the dinner was sure to fail and her entertaining spirit. I also admired Edith's determination to express and also defend her true feelings because she scarcely seems to do. In a few words, just a great episode.
  • The Crawleys Fall On Hard Times. (SPOILERS)

I didn't find this one quite as good as the season opener last week. The family are still suffering financially following Robert's disasterous investments. Cora seems quite uninterested by the whole debacle, even though the future of her eldest daughter hangs in the balance. Predictably, Violet and Mary's scheme to obtain money from Martha didn't work but the person who is annoying me the most is Matthew, his 'noble heart' could well see them all having to uproot themselves and sell Downton, and all because he feels that he is being 'unfair' to Lavinia's father who wishes to leave him buckets of money. I can't see Mary taking that for too long!

So, Edith is to marry Anthony Strallan after all. Robert certainly didn't need much persuading. I think it was a good idea to bring up the fact that Sybil had married Branson, after all, Sir Anthony has quite a lot more going for him than that. I get a little annoyed, though that the writers, ever since Season 1, have had Edith falling for almost every male who crosses her path. Certainly, she was concerned about remaining single but I never considered her desperate.

The most poignant part of the episode for me was Mrs. Hughes and her possible battle with breast cancer. Kudos to Julian Fellowes for introducing the storyline and bravo to Phyllis Logan and Lesley Nicol for playing their parts so well. Great work by all concerned.

I find myself quite uninterested about Bates at this point, it's almost as though the series could function nicely without him. If he is to stay around, I do hope that Lord Fellowes has some interesting character development ready for him. Maggie Smith was her usual superb self, no wonder Julian Fellowes says he writes everything around her, she is such a gem.