Downton Abbey

Episode 3

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 30, 2012 on ITV

• Illuminating but nterrrogative at the same time

The last unmarried daughter Edith just has no luck. Something always happen and ruins it. Well if you ask me I think it's better that way. But let's come to the substancial news of the salvation of Downton. Matthew was at last convinced to help the family after Lavinia's letter sent to her father. We must not overlook Bate's troubles in jail and Mrs Hughes health results which by the way did not become known to us as far as i am concerned.
  • Deceptive and excellent. (SPOILERS)

This one had me a little worried as it seemed very 'slow' to start with, and somewhat predictable, however, I am happy that I was wrong in thinking that the whole episode was going to be like that.

Naturally, Matthew ended up with Reggie Swire's money, and what he did with it was always going to happen too.

I feel very sorry for Amy Nuttall (Ethel Parks) because last season she had quite a big role, and, after three episodes, all the poor girl has done is have Ethelm running in and out of a room which contains Isobel and a group of 'fallen' women. PLEASE, give her some merit and a point to her storyline, we are almost half-way through!

Violet wasn't as perky and quick-witted as usual, but she DID get a couple of good lines in! Robert and Matthew playing 'I can be more noble than you' was annoying but I loved the way O'Brien has gone after Thomas, I feel VERY sorry for him already. Not overly keen on her young nephew. Perhaps the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?

It was delightful seeing how happy and relieved Carson was when Mrs. Patmore relayed the good news about Mrs. Hughes. Kudos to Jim Carter here for a fine job. As for what happened with Edith, it was always going to be the case, I have never seen a more terrified looking groom in my life. I feel dreadfully sorry for Edith for a change and next week, it's back to worrying about Sybil again. Poor old Edith never gets a look in. I hope the writers are careful to keep Mary and Matthew as part of the main plot, they are in danger of becoming part of the furniture.

One final question. Why was Aunt Rosamund not at the wedding and not even mentioned? I know I sound like I'm complaining, but it was a great episode, just a little slow to get moving.