Downton Abbey

Episode 8

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 06, 2011 on ITV

• An excellent finale for Season 2 which just leaves us wanting more.

With Matthew back on his feet again, it's time to get ready for his marriage to Lavinia Swire. Sybil is still planning to marry Tom Branson and go to Ireland but Lord Grantham is furious at the prospect of such a thing happening.

When Carson, Cora and Lavinia all go down with the Spanish Influenza, the wedding has to be put on hold but Anna refuses to wait for her own marriage and insists that she and Bates tie the knot as soon as possible.

Robert and Jane find themselves getting too close and Jane decides to hand in her resignation before things become more complicated. Lavinia surprises Matthew with her knowledge about his feelings for Mary but it is all too late as poor Lavinia succumbs to the dreaded illness.

The Bryants return and wish to take baby Charles with them to raise in their world but Ethel will have none of it as she intends to keep her son with her and raise him her way rather than the way Mr. Bryant has in mind.

Superb episode. I can't wait for the Christmas Special!

• Oh my! We'll have to wait again for season 3?

I had a innate feeling from the beginning that we were headed to a season 3 (pre-war - war- and post war) Fellowes has given a a full insight on the effects of WW1 on society. I am so anxious to see Matthew an Mary unite and was a bit remiss it did not occur and Matthew is left looking not only despondent, but almost effected mentally. Regardless this is an excellent series and worth the wait.