Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on PBSIn Season

A Fourth Series For 'Downton Abbey' Confirmed!

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Nov 26, 2012
    • level: 41

Hi All,

It has FINALLY been officially announced that there will be a fourth season of 'Downton Abbey', with filming beginning in February and screening in September, 2013. Eight episodes have been ordered so we get to see more of our favourite people doing what they do best - entertaining us! Smile

I will bring you more details when they come to hand. Meanwhile, I'm happy!!!

There is also to be a 2012 Christmas Special which will air in the UK on Christmas Day this year. There is also to be a 2013 Christmas Special but no details are available as yet.

The main thing is, lots more Downton! Smile

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Nov 28, 2012
    • level: 75
    *dances all over the place*

Yay, so many good news in one post. I'm a super happy camper Thanks for sharing!

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Nov 28, 2012

I'm calling it an early Christmas gift and still hoping that somebody gets me that calendar! Laughing

chartah

[4]Dec 23, 2012
    • level: 21
    This awesome news

trek

[5]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 3

That's awesome I wonder which historical events they're going to focus on for this series...

Lady_Lancaster

[6]Dec 26, 2012

All I know at this stage is that they will be moving into the mid-1920's, so that could lead just about anywhere. I'm already looking forward to it. Smile

trek

[7]Dec 30, 2012
    • level: 3
    On a slightly unrelated note, is there any more news about the prequel?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/9571508/Downton-Abbey-Julian-Fellowes-plans-a-prequel.html

Lady_Lancaster

[8]Dec 30, 2012

No, there is nothing concrete to report about the supposed prequel as yet. Julian Fellowes is very careful what he says to the media and even waited until as close to the last part of filming as possible to see whether Dan Stevens was going to stay in the role of Matthew. Of course, media sources leaked well in advance of the Christmas Special that Dan was not returning, leaving Fellowes in a bit of a quandry about what to do with regard to the character. The decision was, however, steadfastly made to 'kill' Matthew rather than re-cast the role using another actor, and I think that was the right thing to do.

Back to the prequel, if Lord Fellowes follows his usual style, we won't hear any further details about what is coming up for Downton until everything is signed, sealed and delivered. The only thing we know for sure is that the fourth season starts filming in February; if ratings hold, there may be a fifth season, and there is a possibility of books and possibly a movie. Lord Fellowes HAS said, though, that if he were to make a prequel, it will not be until all the current and planned seasons of the show have finished screening.

I will certainly post it here if I hear anything official about what is to happen in the future. Smile

boom-moo

[9]Jan 2, 2013
    • level: 75
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

The decision was, however, steadfastly made to 'kill' Matthew rather than re-cast the role using another actor, and I think that was the right thing to do.

I think so, recasts are always a horrible idea to me as I find it really hard to warm up to them.

Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Lord Fellowes HAS said, though, that if he were to make a prequel, it will not be until all the current and planned seasons of the show have finished screening.
    Much as I'm excited about the idea of a prequel, I think that's quite smart.

Lady_Lancaster

[10]Jan 3, 2013

I totally agree, on both counts. Recasting just never works, unless it happens to be Dr. Who amd yes, if we are to have a prequel, it certainly, in my opinion, can't be any kind of successful whilst the current series is still running forward.