Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Season 3, Episode 3 Discussion Thread.. (SPOILERS)

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 41

Please discuss the third episode of Season 3 here.

Thank you.

Edited on 10/07/2012 7:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lady_Lancaster

[2]Oct 2, 2012

I was a bit worried about this one at first, it seemed a little3 bit 'slow' and not really 'wedding mode'. Perhaps that was just as well after what happened to poor Edith. I found myself a little bit irked that the family was so against Strallan because in Season 1, Violet and Cora in particular were more than happy to push him first in Mary's direction and then in Edith's. Great work by Laura Carmichael after she returned to the house. I was impressed with her performance. I suppose, with regard to Sir Anthony being suitable for Mary, it was more to do with the fact that she was 'used goods' than anything else.

So, it looks like it won't be Mrs. Hughes who dies, so, the question is, who? Hopefully not Sybil whilst in childbirth. (JBF's contract has yet to be signed if there is another series according to sources.)

I don't like Alfred, he reminds me of a younger, less experienced version of Thomas and with O'Brien for an aunt, anything is possible! I pity Thomas just now because she WILL make him pay for what he told Molesley.

Maggie Smith gave her usual brilliant performance. (She hasn't signed any contracts for the future, either, so this is MOST unfortunate.)

It was great to see Carson so obviously delighted at Mrs. Hughes' positive outcome.

The episode improved a great deal as it went on, except for the fact that nobody explained why Aunt Rosamund wasn't at the wedding. Perhaps she is psychic? Wink

boom-moo

[3]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 75
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    So, it looks like it won't be Mrs. Hughes who dies, so, the question is, who?
    Maybe Alfred as a result of Thomas' scheming? I don't like Alfred either so I wouldn't mind that Also I don't like that Daisy fancies him. And lol at Thomas keeping two shirts hidden now.

Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Hopefully not Sybil whilst in childbirth.
    Hopefully not!

Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Maggie Smith gave her usual brilliant performance. (She hasn't signed any contracts for the future, either, so this is MOST unfortunate.)
    She will, she will... *all crossable crossed*

Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    nobody explained why Aunt Rosamund wasn't at the wedding. Perhaps she is psychic? Wink
    True, I assumed she had gone back to the US.

Why and who is trying to frame Carson in prison?

Wow at Mary having the guts to read Matthew's letter. It's good that Matthew wasn't surprised, he knows her well and clearly is up for putting up with her "rebellious nature". Lavinia was really a sweet one.

And also very noble of Lord Grantham to keep Downton on condition that Matthew becomes co-owner.

My first comment on this thread didn't go through for some reason and I only realized now so I'm not sure if I mixed events from the previous episode this second time. Apologies if I did.

Edited on 10/03/2012 2:37am
    Edited 2 total times.

Lady_Lancaster

[4]Oct 3, 2012

You mean who is trying to frame 'Bates' in prison, I assume, not Carson. Laughing Not really sure, it doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me. I suppose we will have to wait to find out.

Aunt Rosamund is Lord Grantham's sister, the one from London? Was she going to America or do you mean Martha, Cora's mother?

Glad I'm not the only one who isn't keen on Alfred. Quite happy for him to die myself, but Liz Trubridge (Producer) said the death would be of a "much-loved" character and that certainly wouldn't apply to Alfred. Indeed, I hope Sybil survives childbirth too and YES, if there IS to be a fourth (and possibly fifth) season of the show, Maggie Smith MUST sign that contract! According to Julian Fellowes, she only signs season by season.

There is, as yet, no official announcement concerning whether or not there will be a fourth and fifth season, but I'll keep my eyes opened.

I was proud of Mary for reading the letter, if she hadn't, Downton would be sunk! And yes, it was very funny that Thomas hid the shirts. *grin* Smart man!

boom-moo

[5]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 75
    Lol yeah, I meant Bates. It doesn't make sense to me either. If it was just mean fellow inmates then yeah, but at least one of the officers that searched his room was involved so that has me puzzled.

Gosh, and I meant Cora's mother, never mind me, quite a mess of a commnent I made there Was she around? Probably she was and I didn't notice.

And true, Alfred doesn't compute as "much loved", I forgot that. Meh, it would make sense if it is Sybil as it isn't easy to bring her back all the time but then what will happen with the baby? Will her husband bring it up on his own? Will the baby die as well?