Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Season 3: Episode 6: Discussion thread. (SPOILERS)

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 41

Please discuss Season 3, Episode 6 here.

Thank you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Oct 21, 2012
    • level: 75
    Violet's sentence of the week: "People like us are never unhappily married."

Anyway, glad that Bates is getting out of jail if anything because his storyline this season was getting boring a heck..

Carson is getting very badly on my nerves. Bleurgh.

Daisy has been offered the farm, wow that's something. At least it's a more interesting storyline than having her pining for Alfred.

Lie might be an unmusical word but Violet has put the good doctor in a very uncomfortable position. I think he was right in all that he said, but still it sounded a bit "forced" to me.

I'm glad that Ethel managed to cook a feast, I wasn't entirely sure that she would. And yay at all the ladies staying despite Robert's opposition!

Poor Mary, when she was holding Sibyl she surely was wishing it would be her own child. And Matthew's face totally revealed that he was thinking the same. Very nice declaration of love when they were in bed together, by the way. I wish that Mary would have kissed him senseless instead of just cuddling against him. Oh well.

Also I'm glad that Mary seemed to support Matthew's view about managing Downton in her conversation with her father. I was quite disappointed when she snapped at him for wanting to deprive Robert of his ruling hand the day he had lost Sybil. Bad timing surely but her words were quite harsh nonetheless.

I can't wait for Edith to start writing her column, I have no doubt that she is gonna be very good at it.

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Oct 24, 2012
    • level: 41

All in all, a pretty good episode, but both Carson and Robert were being high-handed in different ways. Carson 'forbidding' the staff to go to Crawley House is not going to hold up anymore now that the ladies have been there and it was a verbal slap in the face when Violet announced that it would be '[A shame to waste such a good pudding.'. She is quite priceless! I wasn't very happy with the way she practically forced poor old Dr. Clarkson to lie to Robert and Cora about what happened regarding Sybil because what he said to them and what he said when Sybil was so ill were two entirely different things. I think most people are too scared to take Violet on, though, and that was obviously the whole point. Felt sorry for Clarkson, though.

Mrs. Patmore's line of 'Do I look like a frolicker?' was brilliant. She has a very kind heart underneath all her bluster and I knew she would help Ethel. Ethel's words about knowing how it felt to lose a child were also very touching.

I too felt very sorry for Matthew and Mary when they were holding the baby. I really hope they manage to have a child of their own. Speaking of the baby, it didn't take a crystal ball to realise that Tom was not going to back down on the issue of baby Sybil's Baptism into the Catholic faith. Irish Catholics are very proud people and it would take a lot more than family opposition to stop him following the path he had chosen for his little girl, especially after Mary informed everyone that it was what Sybil wanted. Having Travis to dinner was just ridiculous. Robert has a habit of not seing what is right in front of him and not listening to what people say. It seems like it's always Mary who has to pull him back to reality and I'm glad that she does.

I am so glad the 'Bates thing' is over. It all proved so anti-climactic in the end that I would have to say I found it extremely boring. Anna seemed more upset about what was going on with Bates than the fact that Sybil had just died at the age of 24 but I suppose she is allowed wifely concern, still, a bit of sympathy wouldn't have hurt - the Crawleys, especially Mary, have done a lot for herself and Bates.

They need to do something with Daisy's character, she is getting very annoying. Maybe the farm will change things, if she goes there. (That would probably mean the end of Sophie McShera in the show too, I suspect, if a fourth season were to happen.) O'Brien is going to get her revenge on Thomas soon, by the looks of things, and THAT will most likely be interesting. O'Brien doesn't do things by halves.

I read today that negotiations for a fourth series are still taking place. I see this as a very positive sign and am keeping fingers crossed.

I'm not keen on Ivy. Her character just seems to be there to cause competition between Alfred and Jimmy, which seems silly to me. I much prefer Jimmy to Alfred. I think Jimmy will be a part of Thomas's undoing, if it happens, because he clearly doesn't like all of Thomas's "attention" being focussed on him.

Only two more episodes to go. I wish it was a 12 episode order, like in the US, eight just doesn't seem long enough because they go so quickly.