Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Season 3: Episode 7: Discussion thread. (SPOILERS)

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Oct 24, 2012
    • level: 41

Please discuss Season 3, Episode 7 here.

Thank you.

Edited on 10/27/2012 6:29pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AlexandraAtan1

[2]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 1
    Is this episode the season finale?

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Oct 27, 2012

No, there are eight episodes in this season.

Welcome to the board. Smile

boom-moo

[4]Oct 28, 2012
    • level: 75
    Loved Violet and Mrs. Crawley's verbal sparrings!

Violet obviously doesn't really care about Ethel although I'd like to believe that seeing her distressed in the street moved her a bit. I reckon that for Ethel to start a future elsewhere is not entirely crazy. However, no one cared asking about her opinion (surely because they didn't have her best interest at heart not being for Isobel). I was a bit surprised that Isobel didn't tell Ethel about the offer while making sure that it wasn't her idea and that Ethel was welcome to stay if she so wished. Who knows? Ethel is strong but she is human after all and she is suffering a big deal. Maybe she would have given the idea to start over some thought. I think that she would have chosen to stay though.

I knew that Tom's brother would be a trouble maker but at least he made for a very funny conversation over dinner.

I think that Matthew and Tom will make a great team as long as they have the patience to deal with Robert. It's good that they can count on Mary to mediate a bit.

I didn't care much about the stuff downstairs in this episode. I saw the Thomas/James thing coming and the Ivy / Alfred / Jimmy / Daisy "loves me / loves me not" is growing old.

Very glad that Edith accepted the newspaper offer although the editor guy looked creepy. I wonder if he has to do with what was shown in the preview.

Now, now, who is the new lady coming for the finale?

Lady_Lancaster

[5]Oct 30, 2012

I thought that, overall, this was an excellent episode. Many things happened but they were very nicely interwoven together so as not to over complicate the flow of the plot.

My favourite humourous moment occurred right at the end when Robert and Violet were forced to stand with the Catholic priest and have a photograph taken with baby Sybil. Violet, in particular, looked as though she was being led to the gallows! Smile As a Catholic myself, Robert's reference to a Mass as being like 'gymnastics' (with all the "bobbing and scrapping") was very amusing. I thought Branson handled himself with aplomb during the entire episode; even Carson approved so he MUST have done well. Wink

I'm truly grateful that the whole Bates storyline is behind us, it was boring the living daylights out of me, in fact, I'm not really sure what it added to the plot at all. The part concerning Thomas and Jimmy was much more interesting and obviously there will be many consequences for Thomas's rash actions. He should learn never to listen to O'Brien, after all, she's as bad as he is! Alfred told the whole truth, which surprised me a bit because given who his aunt is, I would have thought she would have told him to add an embelishment here and there.

I hope there is some kind of happy resolution for Edith. I had no time for her character at all in Series 1, but the way she handled herself during WWI gave me a much higher opinion of her.

Sick to death of the Daisy, Ivy, Alfred and Jimmy storyline, it seems to me that it is taking up valuable screentime when something else far more interesting could be happening. They just seem to be getting nowhere and are annoying the heck out of me.

I feel that Ethel was treated quite badly, especially by Violet, whose concern for the girl was actually merely concern for the Crawley family. Well done to Isobel for standing up for the girl and for calling Violet out. As I have said before, Violet is very much a woman of her time, while Isobel is a more 'modern' thinker. I think Ethel will leave as her character seems to have run its course. I still feel really sorry that she had to give up young Charlie.

I am pleased that Cora is standing up for herself and speaking out a little more freely. It suits all the changes which took place in the 1920s, especially for women. Speaking of women, I REALLY hope that Mary and Matthew are able to have a family of their own. They are both obviously heartbroken that Mary has not become pregnant. If they do, I'm fairly certain it will be a boy as the whole 'finding an heir' thing (if the show goes to a fourth and fifth season) would be very difficult and repetitive.

Now, what will they have for us in the season finale, and what kind of importance will young Rose have on everything?

boom-moo

[6]Oct 31, 2012
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Robert's reference to a Mass as being like 'gymnastics' (with all the "bobbing and scrapping") was very amusing
    Lol it was indeed!

Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    Now, what will they have for us in the season finale, and what kind of importance will young Rose have on everything?
    Who is she? What am I missing?

Lady_Lancaster

[7]Nov 4, 2012

Rose is the name of the young female visitor whom we saw in the preview for the finale. Laughing

boom-moo

[8]Nov 5, 2012
    Ah yes, that's what I got, thank you I thought we were supposed to know more about her backstory and I couldn't remember any of it.