Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Season 3: Episode 8: Discussion thread. Season Finale: (SPOILERS)

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Oct 30, 2012
    • level: 41

Please discuss Season 3, Episode 8 (the season finale) here.

Thank you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AlexandraAtan1

[2]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 1
    Is there going to be another season of Downton Abbey? Do you know when would it start?

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Nov 4, 2012

As of late August, and then again in September, Julian Fellowes stated in an interview that he would love to do another series of the show and had, in fact, already written the ideas and concepts in his head, but no official decisions had yet been made regarding continuing the show. We will have to wait on an official announcement to find out what is to happen.

If they do make a fourth series, it will likely start in September or October of next year (2013) but I am only basing this belief on screening patterns so far.

boom-moo

[4]Nov 5, 2012
    • level: 75
    Nice finale

I couldn't care less about the whole Rose story (unless it was a set up for something to come in the event of a future series 4) but the rest of the episode was a good combination of a happy wrapping in while at the same time giving every character's storyline the chance to start afresh and plenty of room for new drama to be brought in if needed:

-Bates and Anna have a new home (but Mr. Barrow stays and overranks Mr. Bates which could bring on some drama there).
    -Matthew and Mary are finally able to start trying for a family (which might or might not come).
    -Edith has a prospect to keep working at the paper (which might be interesting if she develops feelings for the editor).
    -Tom and baby Sybil are to stay in the family (which could mean further disagreements due to social and background clashes).
    -Robert gave in and is gonna work with Matthew and Tom (which might be a success or not, room for ups and go there and further dispute).
    -O'Brien has gotten a sip of her soup (but she might strike back anytime).
    -Ethel is gonna be able to see Charlie grow up (which might not be as easy as she thinks)

...etc. All in all, the episode had a really nice feel to me whether it's the last of the show or not (so many possibilities there). All in all, very clever writing!

The whole cricket game looked like a postcard, I can't start to express how beautiful it was

Lady_Lancaster

[5]Nov 10, 2012

First of all, I have to start with the cricket match. The whole setting, costumes and staging were glorious; perfect for the era and a perfect way to end the season. (I won't say 'series' because I am still madly hoping that the rumours will be true and that we will be treated to another season or 2 or 3 ...or well... HEAPS!!! Laughing I still haven't been able to find anything official on either a new Christmas Special for 2012 or a new season for 2013 but I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed on both counts, particularly the latter. I shall keep a firm ear to the ground.

I loved the way so many things came together and were, in a way, finalised, whilst also left open-ended in case there IS a Series 4. (Crossing those fingers again.) Violet was less witty than usual, but it was in keeping with the slight change in her personality for the last 3 episodes. I DID, however, LOVE the comment about how she always spent an hour with Robert and Rosamund after tea each day and good on Isobel for being honest about why the Dowager really wanted Ethel sent away. Isobel has grown on me more this season than in the first two, I like the fact that she won't conform completely, even though her only child is to be the next Lord Grantham.

The whole 'Molesley is a superb cricketer' thing was hilarious and, sadly predictable. I KNEW he would get a Golden Duck, in fact, I would have bet everything I had on it. Wink As his father said, 'my son talks a good game of cricket ...' Ha-ha!

I was very surprised that Thomas knew that O'Brien had caused Cora to slip on that bar of soap. Given the type of woman O'Brien is, I would have deemed her the type to keep ALL of that firmly to herself. I wouldn't trust Thomas with 5 cents and I'm surprised he was aware. Also, if there is another season, I think Bates will regret his generosity to Thomas because Thomas is a nasty piece of work and an act of kindness by Bates will be very quickly forgotten. Sybil's death was the only time all season when Thomas showed real caring and genuine grief. Beware O'Brien, though, she won't let Thomas get off without payback, I think we can be absolutely certain of that.

Alfred and Ivy need to be gone, they add nothing to the storyline, except perhaps a bit of bickering. I imagine, if the show continues, Daisy will stay (Sophie McShera isn't on the list of people who are being difficult about possible contract negotiations.) Jimmy is too easily influenced by O' Brien and that is never a good thing.

I felt so sad for Ethel in her excitement at being able to see Charlie grow up. Methinks that it either won't work out or she will be terribly disappointed.

Thomas having a position higher than Bates will just make him (Thomas) more of a bully. But, of course, given his infirmity, Bates could not manage the job of Under Butler. Jimmy being Head Footman is a bit much, considering that poor William had been there for ages and was never promoted.

I DO hope Mary and Matthew manage to start a family AND that she has a boy if the show continues. A girl would be yet another complication.

Violet's niece, Rose, was boring and totally unnecessary, she also took up valuable screentime, so I'm wondering why she was there at all? She certainly didn't add anything to current plotlines.

Please, Lord Fellowes, give us another season (or 3)! Laughing!!!!!