Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on PBSBetween Seasons

Sum up your thoughts on 'Downton': Series 3: (SPOILERS).

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 41

With series 3 just having screened its last episode, what are you thoughts about the series as a whole and the direction taken by the writers for the plot and the characters?

Edited on 11/13/2012 11:29pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lady_Lancaster

[2]Nov 13, 2012
    • level: 41

I enjoyed Season 3 overall. I wouldn't say it's been my favourite of the seasons so far, but I definitely did enjoy it. Maggie Smith continued to play Violet flawlessly, but a couple of aspects of her character came across as being rather unpleasant at times, which I don't think is really who she is but perhaps it's just because of the era in which she is living.

The whole storyline with Alfred, Jimmy, Daisy and Ivy was nothing short of annoying. I couldn't see that it added anything to the plot at all and was taking up more screentime than I cared to see.

The 'Bates is in prison' annoyed the heck out of me too. It just seemed to go on and on and on, then, suddenly, it was all resolved. They needed a courtroom scene to let us see the verdict being overturned.

I'm so very happy that things are looking rosy for Mary and Matthew and if there is a fourth series, I'm sure the two of them will produce a son because yet another female would complicate the entail yet again.

It was very sad when Sybil died, even though I already knew that she was going to as I knew Jessica Brown Findlay was leaving the show. There were some lovely, touching scenes between the sisters and that was good. Great work by Isobel helping Ethel out like that, in spite of disapproval.

LOVED the cricket match in the final episode. Perfect! Laughing

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.