Downton Abbey Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on PBSBetween Seasons

Timeline

Selaspy

[1]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 6

So Season 1 begins in April 1912. Season 2 in April 1916 and then the second episode in 1917?

When was the end of the first season supposed to be? mid 1915?

It is just me or are people finding the big gaps in the timeline implausible?

None of the characters look (or act) 5 years older.

How old were they supposed to be at the start? And are they supposed to be 5 years older? or is it like a soapie but in reverse (instead of hyper-aging children to suddenly being adults, the younger members of the show just stay the same age?)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lady_Lancaster

[2]Oct 1, 2011
    • level: 41

You are correct when you say that the first season opened on 15th April, 1912, with the sinking of the "Titanic". The first season ended in July of 1914 when World War One broke out.

The second series begins in 1916 with the Battle of the Somme and yes, episode 2 is 1917, which means a year must have passed between Matthew being in the trenches and what is happening now. The First World War ended in 1918, but I'm not sure how the producers will write it - whether they will continue past that date or keep the action firmly centred on it as they are being tight-lipped about it, for obvious reason.

Technically, yes, 5 years have passed since the beginning of Series (1912) to the current events of 1917.

iellalein

[3]Aug 22, 2012
    • level: 8

hi there! I started to think too much about the timeline and here it is:

Why aren't Lady Mary and Richard Carlisle married by the time of the Christmas Special? Mary promised him (the end of?) July in #207. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all, but has anybody got any ideas besides "Christmas look snice and the holidays offer a lot of opportunities for family gatherings?"

Lady_Lancaster

[4]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 41

Mary did indeed promise Richard that she would marry him by the end of July, and, obviously, that didn't happen, given that they were still only 'engaged' when the Christmas Special was on. My only thought is that either she found ways to delay matters or something got in the way that neither of them could prevent. It was never explained so we are left to our own devices to sort it out and come to our own conclusions. A word or two about why the delay took place wouldn't have gone amiss, though.